Initial D World - Discussion Board / Forums

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )Resend Validation Email

DJ Panel ( Server Stats )   Song History   Initial D World Chat Room (Discord)   Broadband Stream
RADIO BROADCAST » streaming at 96kbps with 4 unique listeners, playing (MF Ghost OST) Go2 - Gotta Go

Important Rules
• Please do NOT post knowingly false information. Violators will be issued an actual warning.
• Please do NOT copy and paste articles from other websites. Link and short description is ok, but please do not copy and paste pages of info. Violator will be issued a verbal warning.
• Do NOT post any torrents and/or links to pirated copies of software here. Violator will be issued a verbal warning.
• Discussions about illegal materials such as ROMs, WAREZ and methods of copying copyrighted materials are not encouraged in this subforum.

» FORUM MODERATOR : FORUM MODERATOR

Views: 9,366  ·  Replies: 14 
> Good free video editing software, not WMM
Cowman715
  Posted: Dec 12 2006, 12:32 PM

The only Miata driver around

Group: Advanced Members
Member No.: 14,640

Yeah so... I just got my video capture card and it turns out WMM can't for some odd reason, read an MPEG file... So I had to download a converter to turn the MPEG into 2 parts, a video and an Audio AVI file... The problem is that now I have literally 2 of the same video which is wasting a lot of space... and the AVI Visuals are not as good as the MPEG...

Do you guys know of any FREE editing software... and I'm speaking legally of course.
khat17
Posted: Dec 12 2006, 01:00 PM

IDW SIMPLETON

Member No.: 17,668

VirtualDub does a good job, and is free. Just not able to do a lot of advanced stuff. there are some free things for LINUX, but I'm not familiar with them. Haven't done editing in Linux to tell you the truth. Interested in hearing what else others will post as well.

PeAcE.
Cowman715
  Posted: Dec 12 2006, 01:52 PM

I've actually found virtual Dub and have been using it, but still the video quality goes down.
khat17
Posted: Dec 12 2006, 07:00 PM

IDW SIMPLETON

The video quality is dependent on the codec you are using and the settings for the codec. I use the X264 codec, and it works nicely for me. Then again, quality and size are proportional. Which codec are you using?

PeAcE.
Nomake Wan
Posted: Dec 12 2006, 07:37 PM

ShiMACHaze

Member No.: 5,394

What is it you're trying to do, specifically? Are you editing anything, or are you just converting formats?

If you're just converting formats, use VirtualDubMod, and read up on properly configuring encoders for XviD. Or, alternatively, my method for high-quality output is to output from VirtualDub to AVI using the HuffYUV codec, then use RealAnime 4.2.0 to convert the file into a high-quality h.264 MKV file.

If you're editing the thing before you save it, I suggest you do something similar. Import the file into VirtualDubMod, save to a HuffYUV-encoded AVI file, then import the HuffYUV file into Windows Movie Maker (which will support the format, better than it supports XviD and DivX, in fact), make you edits, and save.

You don't have to lose quality--it's all about how you use your encoders.
Proud Contributor of IDW Forums and the Music Section Revival Project
Cowman715
  Posted: Dec 12 2006, 07:54 PM

Thank you very much That does help a lot and I'll see if it makes it looks better biggrin.gif

Yep definatly helped a lot. The only problem is that it's just time consuming when it changes the file type. But this'll do.

This post has been edited by Cowman715 on Dec 12 2006, 08:56 PM
khat17
Posted: Dec 12 2006, 09:16 PM

IDW SIMPLETON

RealAnime converts to H264 or to X264?

PeAcE.
Nomake Wan
Posted: Dec 13 2006, 07:22 AM

ShiMACHaze

QUOTE (khat17 @ Today at 12:16 AM)
RealAnime converts to H264 or to X264?

PeAcE.

h.264.

X264 is an encoder in and of itself, and not one I trust--h.264 is not VfW compatible as far as I know, but X264 hacks it to be. Meh.
BOZZ
Posted: Dec 13 2006, 11:18 AM

IDW Posts A Freaking LOT Member

Member No.: 1,414

Isn't H264 a propriety codec from Apple and X264 just the open source variation of H264?
Nomake Wan
Posted: Dec 13 2006, 01:20 PM

ShiMACHaze

I'm honestly not sure about that. I know that X264 is the encoder for VirtualDub, and thus is a Video-for-Windows codec, which isn't native... Basically, it's the primary reason you see h.264-encoded AVI files. >.>;;

As far as I can recall, X264 is the name of the encoder and h.264 is the name of the codec in general, as is used on HD content and in computer files. There was actually an argument about it (that got started by me, I think) on AnimeMusicVideos.org's forum, so I'll see if I can dig that up.

Either way, RealAnime > VirtualDub for h.264.
khat17
Posted: Dec 13 2006, 04:36 PM

IDW SIMPLETON

AFAIK - nobody uses the straight H.264 codec........most encoders are either proprietary (APPLE) or free (X264).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/H.264

I could be wrong........if RA does the encoding in H.264 and not X264, I would sooooo be up into that! Let me know when you're done. And remember, when something is encoded in X264 and you check the properties, it does say H.264 VFW.

*edit*

REALANIME uses X264.........

This link to X264.

This link to projects using X264 (including REALANIME).

So as I see it - H264 is proprietary, and different companies have their own port of it, but X264 is free, and still in development, so it doesn't have all the bugs worked out.

Hope the info was informative.

@ NOMAKE WAN - I think I've used REALANIME before, but these days I'm more into testing the capabilites of MEGUI to do my encodes and use the X264 VFW. The official site doesn't have the VFW anymore, so I found another site that keeps the VFW project up.

Official Site
VFW Project

PeAcE.

This post has been edited by khat17 on Dec 13 2006, 04:42 PM
Nomake Wan
Posted: Dec 13 2006, 06:40 PM

ShiMACHaze

Okay. I'm still gonna call it h.264 though as the decoder used is the same in both cases and both operate on the same basic theory.

And VfW is still a hack, is it not? o.o;; RealAnime doesn't use VfW, it uses directshow...
khat17
Posted: Dec 14 2006, 03:59 AM

IDW SIMPLETON

Hmm........I need to look into that. It may explain my problem with PREMIERE 6.5 and PREMIERE PRO 1.5. Well, there's no problem with 6.5 really, just that I want to use pro, and it wont import videos without the codecs being installed. 6.5 imports fine with just CCCP installed, so it puzzles me, but what you just said may be my answer......will look more into it.

PeAcE.
Nomake Wan
Posted: Dec 14 2006, 10:48 AM

ShiMACHaze

FFDShow has a VfW emulator in it. I haven't actually tried to use it yet, though. It's still better to open an h.264 file using DirectShowSource in VirtualDubMod, then export it to a HuffYUV AVI file for editing.
alexwinslow
Posted: Jul 17 2024, 04:49 AM

Shmuck

Group: Members
Member No.: 54,057

When it comes to finding good free video editing software, there are several options that can help you achieve professional-looking results without breaking the bank. One standout choice is DaVinci Resolve. It not only offers a robust set of editing tools comparable to many paid software suites but also includes advanced features for color correction and audio post-production. This makes it a great choice for both beginners and more experienced editors looking to refine their videos.

Another excellent option is Shotcut, known for its intuitive interface and wide range of features. It supports a variety of formats and includes video effects, transitions, and filters that can enhance your video editing process significantly. For those focusing on educational or corporate video editing services, Shotcut's flexibility and ease of use make it a reliable tool for creating engaging content.

For users looking to start with basic editing tasks, HitFilm Express offers a powerful yet accessible platform. It combines video editing with compositing and visual effects capabilities, allowing for more creative freedom in your projects. This makes it suitable for small businesses and startups aiming to produce professional-quality videos without investing in expensive software.

In conclusion, whether you're editing videos for personal projects or considering video editing software services for educational or corporate purposes, these free options provide a solid foundation to explore and expand your video editing skills without the cost associated with premium software.

(USER WAS WARNED FOR THIS POST)
  - Details: Warning has been issued to this post by Perry on Jul 17 2024, 08:24 AM.
  - Reasons: Undisclosed / Unknown