Initial D World - Discussion Board / Forums

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )Resend Validation Email

DJ Panel ( Server Stats )   Song History   Initial D World Chat Room (Discord)   Broadband Stream
RADIO BROADCAST » streaming at 96kbps with 4 unique listeners, playing Dave Simon - I Need Your Love

Important Rules
• Please do NOT post knowingly false information. Violators will be issued an actual warning.
• Please do NOT copy and paste articles from other websites. Link and short description is ok, but please do not copy and paste pages of info. Violator will be issued a verbal warning.
• Do NOT post any torrents and/or links to pirated copies of software here. Violator will be issued a verbal warning.
• Discussions about illegal materials such as ROMs, WAREZ and methods of copying copyrighted materials are not encouraged in this subforum.

» FORUM MODERATOR : FORUM MODERATOR

Views: 3,357  ·  Replies: 4 
> Repairing a PS3
RalliKai
  Posted: Nov 24 2012, 08:25 AM

IDW Goldmember

Group: Advanced Members
Member No.: 3,607

After alittle over 4 years, my 40GB PS3 finally RLOD'd on me. While I'm aware I can send it off for repair or just purchase a new or refurbished model, I'd like to ask. Has anyone here successfully repaired their PS3 or 360? I've seen plenty of guides on accomplishing this with reballing and reapplying thermal paste to the CPU and GPU. Just thought I could save some extra money which I'm trying to do for the holidays and actually learn something in the process. I've taken apart and rebuilt PCs before along with my older PS2 so electronic hardware repair isn't completely foreign to me.

I just wish to know to know if anyone else has taken this on and if it's worthwhile to attempt.

The good thing is that I backed up all my saves earlier in the week when this happened before.

This post has been edited by RalliKai on Nov 24 2012, 08:27 AM
Nomake Wan
Posted: Nov 24 2012, 05:19 PM

ShiMACHaze

Member No.: 5,394

QUOTE (RalliKai @ 8 hours, 53 minutes ago)
After alittle over 4 years, my 40GB PS3 finally RLOD'd on me. While I'm aware I can send it off for repair or just purchase a new or refurbished model, I'd like to ask. Has anyone here successfully repaired their PS3 or 360? I've seen plenty of guides on accomplishing this with reballing and reapplying thermal paste to the CPU and GPU. Just thought I could save some extra money which I'm trying to do for the holidays and actually learn something in the process. I've taken apart and rebuilt PCs before along with my older PS2 so electronic hardware repair isn't completely foreign to me.

I just wish to know to know if anyone else has taken this on and if it's worthwhile to attempt.

The good thing is that I backed up all my saves earlier in the week when this happened before.

RLOD? What PS3 does that? Don't PS3s YLOD? My old 20GB was DOA with a YLOD which is the only reason I actually know...

Never done it, I just sent the 20 in to Sony to fix it up. Since your 40 is a base model with no special features whatsoever is it really worth it to fix? Why not just nab up one of the $199 250GBs at Gamestop? I mean if you had a 60 or something that's one thing, but a 40...?

I mean, look at it this way. You can try to fix it, but you'll probably fail. If you fail, Sony will ask for $150 (assuming they don't laugh in your face about cracking it open and breaking the warranty seal). So for $150 you'd get a 40GB. For $199 you get a brand-new 250GB.

Just sayin'.
Proud Contributor of IDW Forums and the Music Section Revival Project
RalliKai
  Posted: Nov 24 2012, 10:00 PM

IDW Goldmember

Member No.: 3,607

The warranty only lasts a year so I'm already S.O.L on that front. I checked my serial number with Sony which already confirmed that.

Money has been tighter for me lately so I was just weighing my options and looking for the more economical and short term solution realizing that it's only a temporary one. I'll likely nab a new PS3 slim in the future. Just can't for the time being. I'm still studying it up and if it really looks like it's not worth it, I'll wait till I can get a new slim. I was just curious if other people here have experience repairing current gen consoles.

I'm aware the 40GB was the second base model after the 20 but what extra did the 60 offer other than PS2 backwards compatibility?

I know it's YLOD for PS3. Decided to be more literal with the description of what happened I guess.
khat17
Posted: Dec 3 2012, 06:59 AM

IDW SIMPLETON

Member No.: 17,668

Got one for USD$30 from someone and tried to fix it. No luck. Possibly had other issues that I don't know about. There are videos and such on YouTube and other places with tutorials that you can go through. As long as you're aware you're voiding any warranty and such then go ahead. If you mess it up you can send it to some places that do repairs or just get the other board. Take it on as a test DIY.

http://ips3repair.com/

http://www.ifixit.com/Game-Console-Parts/P...x-Kit/IF213-028

http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Yellow+Light+o...h+Repair/3654/1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=playe...d&v=uMG-6rbanlY
geekingod
Posted: Dec 8 2012, 10:31 PM

Shmuck

Group: Members
Member No.: 39,671

Yeah I'd look for youtube video's on how to fix it