Initial D World - Discussion Board / Forums

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )Resend Validation Email

DJ Panel ( Server Stats )   Song History   Initial D World Chat Room (Discord)   Broadband Stream
RADIO BROADCAST » streaming at 96kbps with 2 unique listeners, playing m.o.v.e - Silent White

Important Rules
โ€ข Please do NOT post knowingly false information. Violators will be issued an actual warning.
โ€ข Please do NOT copy and paste articles from other websites. Link and short description is ok, but please do not copy and paste pages of info. Violator will be issued a verbal warning.
โ€ข Do NOT post any torrents and/or links to pirated copies of software here. Violator will be issued a verbal warning.
โ€ข Discussions about illegal materials such as ROMs, WAREZ and methods of copying copyrighted materials are not encouraged in this subforum.

ยป FORUM MODERATOR : FORUM MODERATOR

6 Pages  1 2 3 4 5 » ( Go to first unread post )

Views: 27,066  ·  Replies: 139 
> Looking for opinions on Windows 10
Sensation!
Posted: Dec 29 2015, 10:25 PM

As expected of country grown vegetables
Group Icon

Group: Special Snowflake
Member No.: 19,520

QUOTE (Nomake Wan @ 5 minutes, 0 seconds ago)
Oh word, today I learned that TRIM is handled properly by default but that it's done through Defrag for some ungodly reason (which I assume is M$ being lazy and reusing an interface rather than creating a new one).

Cool, so I'll retract one negative point from 8/8.1/10. Still grossly in the negative, but hey, it's one point closer to zero! awesome.gif

I'm hoping it'll reach zero..
I'm REALLY hoping here..

As soon as I have control over my updates and software, windows 10 will be a better 8.1 for me..
sushiyummy32
Posted: Dec 30 2015, 12:23 AM

DotA Kiwi

Group: Members
Member No.: 45,824

my mouse pointer is shaking uncontrollably. -1 for win 10. wtf is wrong with this....
i went full stupid. cord on trackpad.

This post has been edited by sushiyummy32 on Dec 30 2015, 12:25 AM
Kiroshino
Posted: Dec 30 2015, 02:32 PM

IDW Goldmember
Group Icon

Group: FORUM MODERATOR
Member No.: 34,203

My new laptop came with Windows 10. Been using it for a few weeks. Only a few things went wrong for me:
1) Buggy wifi. Have to disable/enable the adapter to get it working every now and then. Could be a hardware or driver issue.
2) No browsers (Chrome, Firefox, IE, Edge) work 100%. Mostly issues with flashplayer, specifically with video quality and it playing audio at 100% volume regardless of the actual volume setting. Also missing some web controls.
3) My touchpad periodically becomes unresponsive. No issues with wired and wireless mice. Could be a hardware or driver issue.
4) First time launching games after Steam first loads takes two tries.

Boots up faster than my Windows 7 machines and uses fewer resources.

This post has been edited by Kiroshino on Dec 30 2015, 02:34 PM
Nomake Wan
Posted: Dec 30 2015, 11:26 PM

ShiMACHaze

Group: Advanced Members
Member No.: 5,394

QUOTE (Kiroshino @ 8 hours, 53 minutes ago)
1) Buggy wifi. Have to disable/enable the adapter to get it working every now and then. Could be a hardware or driver issue.

This is a driver issue. It's well-documented by users across the web that there are some serious problems with certain chipsets. The onus is on the manufacturer to provide a proper driver, but hell, certain manufacturers haven't even released drivers that won't BSOD a Windows 7 box, let alone work properly on 10. rolleyes.gif
Proud Contributor of IDW Forums and the Music Section Revival Project
Shirogane
Posted: Dec 30 2015, 11:43 PM

SCREEEEEEECHING INTENSIFIES

Member No.: 17,722

Even I had to admit that my WiFi on the MSi laptop's been acting up as of recent (random disconnects, anyone?)

I guess I'm glad it's nothing too serious like a hardware issue from what I'm reading.
xiao
  Posted: Dec 31 2015, 04:11 AM

moon bunny

Group: XIAO
Member No.: 13,323

I hate Windows 8... actually I just hate Alienware for not supplying me with a Reg-key, because apparently updating the BIOS locks me out until I input the very same key that I don't have... no problem right, I'll just call Alienware and tell them what happened correct? Oh ho ho, Alienware customer service isn't open until 8 AM!! Arrrggghh, urge to buy a Barret Anti-Material rifle and blow up this piece of junk, rising like Raiden's metallic-buttx0rz... yare yare~ also, 10 instances of Chrome YouTube videos is what caused the crash, which forced me to update the BIOS... never buy Alienbloop guys; if you're feeling lazy enough not to build your own rig... at least get a Digital Storm and/or a Falcon North~Punch!!1 xD

Anyway, anyone know how I can attain this mythical free Win 10 upgrade?? or I'm just gonna go cry myself to sleepz with my mistress Windows Mizuki... (TωT)

Also, here's a pic of xiao at Radioshaku... because insomnia? I love you Imgur!! xP

SPOILER
Proud Contributor of Initial D World Forums
Nomake Wan
Posted: Dec 31 2015, 04:25 AM

ShiMACHaze

Radioshack still exists where you are!? ohmy.gif They're completely gone here...w-wow. Sasuga Tekushasu.

Anyway, you're not screwed if you want to get creative. You could always run Windows in--oh, wait, 8.1. I'm not sure if my trick works on 8.1. You could try cracking it I guess, I'm sure there are ways and I just never bothered looking into it. As for the free 10 update, it's not mythical at all. If your Windows 8.1 is legitimate (fix that problem you just created!) and up-to-date you should be unable to avoid the nagging prompt to hurry up and install it. You are on 8.1 and not 8, right?

My solution would be to completely blow away your machine and start over with 7, but that's because I have a burning hatred for both subsequent OSes. Your mileage and level of irritation may vary. derp.gif
xiao
Posted: Dec 31 2015, 05:22 AM

moon bunny

QUOTE (Nomake Wan @ 56 minutes, 6 seconds ago)
Radioshack still exists where you are!? ohmy.gif They're completely gone here...w-wow. Sasuga Tekushasu.

Yeah! We have like 6 Radioshacks all over the city, but not a single Fry's Electronix!? xD Look~

user posted image
Image size reduced, original size: 1024 x 579. Click here to view the image in its original dimension.

Yeah I'm upgrading my currently locked version of 8.1 64 Bit, to Win 10 64... what's the difference between Pro and Home btw?? Can you tell I've never worked at a data-center before... awesome.gif I mean if Pro's faster I can understand shilling out the extra 100 bucks, but if it's just glossy junk, I can get that out of my PS3 thank you very mucho Micro$lapz! biggrin.gif... speaking of which, I got bored so~

user posted image
Image size reduced, original size: 1024 x 576. Click here to view the image in its original dimension.

user posted image
Image size reduced, original size: 1024 x 576. Click here to view the image in its original dimension.

awesome.gif

If I don't see Windooze 10 speed up my overall PC performance, I'm gonna buy good old Mizuki Nana! <3

Nomake Wan
Posted: Dec 31 2015, 05:54 AM

ShiMACHaze

sushiyummy32
Posted: Jan 1 2016, 04:15 AM

DotA Kiwi

Groove music (Default win 10 music player) crashes my headset drivers. 10/10
xiao
  Posted: Jan 1 2016, 06:30 AM

moon bunny

Welp... time to shell out 200 bucks for Windoz-10... sad.gif ...never update your BIOS on a Pre-Built PC with no sticker-key, guy...... orz

...I'll try & hold off for the next couple of hours... but this d3v-mode Build 9600 of Windows 8.1 sucks even more than the one I already have... sad.gif

If anyone has any help on how to activate this piece of srap d3v-copy I used to gain access to my files on Win-8.1... or more legitimately to get the original Win 8.1 key that's supposedly in this piece of junk Alienware BIOS/mobo~ so I can DL a free copy of Win~10 without having to fork-out 200 bucks~ would be much appreciated! XD

I used one of those dumb MSDS(M)-Table whatever Windows Key recovery programs... only to have it give me the silly Dev-Key I used to gain access to WIndows 8.1 ~ but it won't let me activate & download a copy of WIndows 10...

I called Alienware 10 Times! ...and the Tech Support penguins with the enchilada-accents told me the same thing every time:

'Ohh sorry, you lost your key... it's technically in the BIOS, but you can't recover it now... you're gonna have to buy Windows 8.1 again, because we don't have the key LOLOLOLOL!!'

*sigh* I hate buying software, especially OS'es... methinks they're overpriced pieces of Ones & Zeroes~ let's go work for ZAFT and make an OS named O.M.N.I. guys!! who's down!? derp.gif

user posted image
Image size reduced, original size: 1575 x 840. Click here to view the image in its original dimension.

sad.gif
BOZZ
  Posted: Jan 1 2016, 12:28 PM

IDW Posts A Freaking LOT Member

Member No.: 1,414

So there's no way to grab it from the BIOS? I was under the impression that even if you can't get it from the BIOS that Windows 8 setup auto-detects the key.

Someone else might want chime in on this, but I recently read about an app from NirSoft called ProduKey that might do the trick. I haven't used it myself, but it might be useful for you.

This post has been edited by BOZZ on Jan 1 2016, 12:29 PM
Tessou
Posted: Jan 1 2016, 12:35 PM

More NEGATIVE than a black hole
Group Icon

Group: ADMINISTRATOR
Member No.: 12,263

Getting a product key from BIOS isn't impossible by a long shot. Don't pay money until you're completely out of options, which you aren't.
APX
Posted: Jan 1 2016, 12:51 PM

Join the Empire today! Or die, rebel scum!

Member No.: 1,473

There's still a radioshack here, the ones in the major city, about 10 or minute drive away are completely gone.

Still have a damn giftcard i need to get rid of from t here as well too. Q_Q
xiao
  Posted: Jan 1 2016, 01:38 PM

moon bunny

QUOTE (BOZZ @ 1 hour, 9 minutes ago)
So there's no way to grab it from the BIOS? I was under the impression that even if you can't get it from the BIOS that Windows 8 setup auto-detects the key.

Someone else might want chime in on this, but I recently read about an app from NirSoft called ProduKey that might do the trick. I haven't used it myself, but it might be useful for you.

Thanks Bozz~man, but it's no dice... orz

The 1st method I tried was running the productkey.vbs script Pirillo put on his site... the key it gave me did nothing, ie. it didn't allow me to activate Win 8.1 nor let me update to Win 10.

The 2nd method I tried was the ProduKey programme, and both keys didn't work. This ProduKey app gave me the same generic Dev key which is currently allowing me to run Win 8.1 to access my files.

I'm out of ideas, especially if the dumb Alienwear BIOS somehow got rewritten with the Dev key I used to pry open Windows... then the original key is really lost!? XD

*sigh* I hate Alienw3rd, bloody inept lo-spec computers... and MicroShaft won't gimme a key cause, lolpayusmoneynow! sad.gif ...I should've just built a PC to begin with~ derp.gif

I totally agree with you Tess, I hate paying money for OS'es in general, lol. xD

Any ideas peeps?? unsure.gif

user posted image
Image size reduced, original size: 2960 x 900. Click here to view the image in its original dimension.
Tessou
Posted: Jan 1 2016, 01:43 PM

Group Icon

Use an older OS with free keys everywhere?
BOZZ
  Posted: Jan 1 2016, 01:44 PM

IDW Posts A Freaking LOT Member

Member No.: 1,414

Damn, so is there nothing at all in the BIOS settings at all? I know on a friend's laptop when you access the BIOS there was a section that had the key listed.

Does Dell/Alienware offer some sort of recovery disc you can download or buy for your laptop?
xiao
Posted: Jan 1 2016, 02:15 PM

moon bunny

QUOTE (Tessou)
Use an older OS with free keys everywhere?

Windows 7 is looking pretty good right about now~ awesome.gif

QUOTE (BOZZ)
Damn, so is there nothing at all in the BIOS settings at all? I know on a friend's laptop when you access the BIOS there was a section that had the key listed.

Does Dell/Alienware offer some sort of recovery disc you can download or buy for your laptop?

Nothin' man, the BIOS is your standard config~screen with your clock and boot-settings opitions, but nothing about any sort of Key or windows related entries~ sad.gif

The guys at Alienware keep going through the same steps with me, until they give up or just tell me I gotta buy Win 8.1 again... orz

One guy in the software department, I guess it's their version Tech Support's Geek Squad(?) took over my computer via some remote Dell application, went through my registry into the Product Key Tables and found blank entries under some drop-down lists, and the standard Dev key under others, so he gave up and told me to call Microsoft... then I called MS and they told me the same thing, to buy Windows 10 for 120 or 200...

...dang! facepalm.gif

Also, I think updating the Alienware BIOS completely re-wrote the firmware, which had the Windows 8.1 Key in together with the old code? unsure.gif

This post has been edited by xiao_la on Jan 1 2016, 02:19 PM
Nomake Wan
Posted: Jan 1 2016, 02:24 PM

ShiMACHaze

If you do use Windows 7, don't bother with keys. Run it in trial mode forever.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ]
xiao
Posted: Jan 1 2016, 02:32 PM

moon bunny

QUOTE (Nomake Wan @ 8 minutes, 1 seconds ago)
If you do use Windows 7, don't bother with keys. Run it in trial mode forever.

mwuahahahah~!!

Will take that into consideration. I only get the keys because in Windows 8.1 it keeps popping up an annoying blue screen telling me to activate the Key every 5 minutes~ XD Also, because the updates won't connect unless it's a legitimately activated copy. :V

But yeah... can Windows 7 run like normal on a trial copy; will it update; any pop-up screens telling me to activate it; Home or Pro; and where can I attain such legendary software?

Cause I really want that Windows Nana banana after learning it'll be supported until 2020. Yeah, everybody says it's basically Win XP 2.0, which is awesome! =D

This post has been edited by xiao_la on Jan 1 2016, 02:34 PM
Tessou
Posted: Jan 1 2016, 02:40 PM

Group Icon

It's also very possible to run 8.1 in trial mode indefinitely.
xiao
Posted: Jan 1 2016, 02:44 PM

moon bunny

QUOTE (Tessou @ 3 minutes, 29 seconds ago)
It's also very possible to run 8.1 in trial mode indefinitely.

Indeed, but it won't update and the activation pop-up ever 5 minutes makes watching videos a pain in the butt, cause it's not a normal pop-up but the whole 8.1 shell unfolds across all screens. xD
sushiyummy32
Posted: Jan 1 2016, 02:52 PM

DotA Kiwi

i remember cracked my 8.1 using something and microsoft gave me a win 10 upgrade. Will link you if i find it again.

Senpai :3

This post has been edited by sushiyummy32 on Jan 1 2016, 02:52 PM
xiao
  Posted: Jan 1 2016, 02:58 PM

moon bunny

QUOTE (sushiyummy32 @ 5 minutes, 41 seconds ago)
i remember cracked my 8.1 using something and microsoft gave me a win 10 upgrade.  Will link you if i find it again.

Senpai :3

D'awww thanks dude!!(ยด・ω・`)

It'll certainly save me a hundred bucks I'd rather spend on illegal substances for my favourite Kiwi~roll... >:3

Also, it's onii-chan not senpai dangit!! derp.gif
Tessou
Posted: Jan 1 2016, 03:02 PM

Group Icon

I forget the exact process, but there's a way to remove 8.1's activation checks so it doesn't pester you anymore. I ran my copy like that for months.

6 Pages  1 2 3 4 5 »