Initial D World - Discussion Board / Forums

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )Resend Validation Email

DJ Panel ( Server Stats )   Song History   Initial D World Chat Room (Discord)   Broadband Stream
RADIO BROADCAST » streaming at 96kbps with 10 unique listeners, playing Dave Rodgers - Wheels Of Fire

Important Rules
• Please do NOT post knowingly false information. Violators will be issued an actual warning.
• Please do NOT copy and paste articles from other websites. Link and short description is ok, but please do not copy and paste pages of info. Violator will be issued a verbal warning.
• Do NOT post any torrents and/or links to pirated copies of software here. Violator will be issued a verbal warning.
• Discussions about illegal materials such as ROMs, WAREZ and methods of copying copyrighted materials are not encouraged in this subforum.

» FORUM MODERATOR : FORUM MODERATOR

Views: 2,772  ·  Replies: 9 
> SSD Experience, Samsung NC10 + Samsung 128GB SSD
Perry
    Posted: Feb 17 2011, 12:03 PM

Like an eagle!
Group Icon

Group: SITE OWNER
Member No.: 1

Picked up a Samsung 128GB SSD from a listing on craigslist the other day. This was a Samsung RBX series (Model #: MMDOE28G5MPP) This was shipped with the Lenovo ThinkPad and the seller took it out from his laptop and sold it to me for $100. I thought it's a great deal and got it off of his hand. Prior to putting this thing on my netbook, I did some benchmark testing. My netbook with the conventional 5400rpm ATA HDD boots up from cold start in 44 seconds. That is the time from the moment I press the power button to seeing the Windows 7 desktop. Restarting takes 63 seconds. That is the time from when I press the restart button to when I see the Windows 7 desktop again.

I then used Acronis Image program to clone the current drive to the SSD via a 2.5" SATA USB converter. It took a good two hours. Anyways, upon putting the SSD in the system. Cold boot takes 37 seconds and restart takes 51 seconds. The improvement is only about 20% from ordinary HDD. I am a little disappoint actually. However, programs do open faster. The only bottleneck now is the netbook CPU, which I have no way to upgrade.

But upon testing, I still decide to sell this back. I don't think it's worth the extra $100. The extra battery life gained is marginal at best. I was expecting something like a 20s cold start and 30s restart. Although I have to admit, this SSD is not the latest generation, so maybe that has something to do with it. I'll probably put it on eBay if I can't get it off of my hand on craigslist.
Proud Contributor of the Music Section Revival Project
khat17
Posted: Feb 17 2011, 12:21 PM

IDW SIMPLETON

Group: Advanced Members
Member No.: 17,668

Nice, but I was expecting some results like in the video....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=96dWOEa4Djs

Was that a fresh install or using the Acronis image?
Perry
  Posted: Feb 17 2011, 12:35 PM

Like an eagle!
Group Icon

It was not a fresh install of W7. I already had tons of other programs installed on the HDD, so I used Acronis to clone the drive to the SSD. I guess that might affect the boot time a little. Still, 37 seconds is a bit on the slow side.

I've read somewhere that this first generation of SSD does not have TRIM due to its obsolete firmware. The SSD drive I got can not have its firmware upgraded. How do I know? I tried.. sad.gif
Nomake Wan
Posted: Feb 17 2011, 03:21 PM

ShiMACHaze

Member No.: 5,394

I believe when you first asked me about SSDs a while back, I suggested that the price/speed/capacity ratio just wasn't worth it. Conventional drives are cheap, massive and not that much slower overall than SSDs. It's not worth it to go SSD right now, in my opinion.

On the other hand, having an SSD does mean no mechanical failures. My brand-new Seagate 1.5TB drive is on the way out, that wouldn't happen with an SSD... sad.gif
Proud Contributor of IDW Forums and the Music Section Revival Project
Perry
  Posted: Feb 23 2011, 10:52 AM

Like an eagle!
Group Icon

Finally sold the Samsung 128GB SSD on craigslist for $140 and picked up a Intel 80GB SSD (2nd gen) on eBay for $120. It should arrive some time this week. I'll report how fast this new drive is. happy.gif
Spaz
Posted: Feb 23 2011, 12:22 PM

Just a guy towing a car across the country to chase a dream.
Group Icon

Group: FORUM MODERATOR
Member No.: 30,193

LOL, Perry got the mod bug!

MUST. MAKE. FASTER.
Proud Contributor of Initial D World Forums
khat17
Posted: Mar 7 2011, 12:19 PM

IDW SIMPLETON

Member No.: 17,668

Let us know plz - need to see whether or not the SSD's make that much of a diff....
Spaz
Posted: Mar 7 2011, 08:51 PM

Just a guy towing a car across the country to chase a dream.
Group Icon

Group: FORUM MODERATOR
Member No.: 30,193

QUOTE (khat17 @ 8 hours, 32 minutes ago)
Let us know plz - need to see whether or not the SSD's make that much of a diff....

Just build a RAID 0 array like normal person if you want increased disc performance.
Proud Contributor of Initial D World Forums
Lebon14
Posted: Mar 7 2011, 11:02 PM

🎧

Member No.: 18,005

QUOTE (khat17 @ Yesterday, 4:19 PM)

The Samsung he had was a low-end SSD with probably low write and read speeds. I think he mentionned me in a AIM chat that he wanted the best price per GB. Unfortunately the Samsung SSDs aren't the best around.

I do have a SSD myself. It's a OCZ Vertex 2 90GB. It has very good speed and read times. It's one of the best choice with Intel's 3rd gen SSDs. I'm probably sure that the Vertex 3s will be even better.

You need to dig for information before buying because performance can vary A LOT between brands and series. You also need budget for it too. And, 99% of the time, the price per gigabyte ratio will be high. If you don't have the budget, better stay with the good ol' 7.2k HDD will lots of space to spare.
Proud Contributor of IDW Forums and the Music Section Revival Project
Perry
  Posted: Mar 21 2011, 04:13 PM

Like an eagle!
Group Icon

QUOTE (khat17 @ Mar 7 2011, 12:19 PM)

After almost a whole month of usage, my feelings are mixed with SSD. My netbook certainly feels faster and snappier when opening programs, but I still can't find myself justifying the extra cost of SSD. The pros are turning on Windows are much quicker than conventional HDD, averaging at 30 seconds for cold boot and 45 seconds for rebooting.

The thing with SSD is you really need AHCI enabled in order to harness the true speed of SSD. Since my Samsung NC10 does not have that feature, the Intel 80GB SSD is crippled by the slow ATA controller. Another pro with SSD is its power consumption. With the Intel SSD, my netbook's battery life was prolonged by 45 minutes to 1 hour on average. The netbook is noticeably cooler and quieter.

Besides these, SSD with netbook is a waste. On the other hand, having a SSD as a system drive for Windows 7 on a desktop with motherboard that supports AHCI is a very good upgrade. I am in the process of putting the Intel SSD on my desktop and I'll create a new thread for my experience with that setup.