Initial D World - Discussion Board / Forums

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )Resend Validation Email

DJ Panel ( Server Stats )   Song History   Initial D World Chat Room (Discord)   Broadband Stream
RADIO BROADCAST » streaming at 96kbps with 6 unique listeners, playing Kelly Wright - Live in Tokyo

Important Rules
1 2 3 4
Initial D Latest News
  • Initial D Fifth Stage has ended with 14 episodes. [confirmed]
  • A theatrical version of Initial D is confirmed for release in August 2014. [Official Thread]
  • UPDATES : Animax has confirmed that Final Stage will be available on its subscription-based VOD (Video On Demand) service starting May 16th, 2014. It will continue where Fifth Stage left off. Consist of a total of four episodes, Final Stage will be focusing on the long-awaited final 86 vs 86 battle between Takumi and Shinji. [confirmed]
  • UPDATES : Avex has confirmed that the New Initial D The Movie will be a trilogy. First part of the trilogy is called Legend 1 -Awakening- slated for release in theaters on August 23rd, 2014 (Japan Only) [confirmed]

Please Follow These Rules
  • Please use the spoiler tag when posting content not yet covered by anime. Violator will be issued an actual warning.
  • Please take the time to read the forums description before you start a topic. Starting topic(s) in the wrong section may result in an actual warning.
  • Use the Search function before you start a new topic. Posting a duplicated thread may earn yourself a verbal warning.
  • Read the Pinned threads before starting a new topic. Posting thread(s) about question(s) already answered in Pinned threads will result in an actual warning.

ยป FORUM MODERATOR : FORUM MODERATOR

Views: 1,726  ·  Replies: 1 
> Series re-edit. Things to change?
atri
    Posted: May 23 2023, 03:13 PM

Shmuck

Group: Members
Member No.: 53,508

Hi everyone. First off, thanks for taking your time to read this.

I'm working on doing a re-edit of the entire series, and wanted to get some community feedback on changes that I could make that maybe I haven't thought of.

My primary motivator for this project is to ease my own viewing experience. I find it nearly impossible to watch just 1 episode, given where they break off, primarily during race episodes, where they cut out at the midpoint in a race. How do you not just watch the next episode and finish the race?! Having to either skip or watch the end and intro credits before continuing is a major pain.

GOALS

- The main goal is to restructure episodes so that they feel a little more self contained and have a smooth narrative arc throughout a single episode. In practice, this means cutting down the number of episodes slightly, resulting in most being ~35-40 minutes in length.

- My second aim is pertaining to the start of many of the Stages, Second Stage being the most egregious example. For some reason, the show looks really bad at a number of points before going back to "normal". I suspect this is because of changing animation software etc, but seems like it can be fixed (or at least mitigated) pretty easily by slapping a filter on top of the offending episodes.

- Additional minor changes like removing the pervy schoolgirl upskirt in First Stage episode 2. Takumi and Itsuki still see -- the scene has not been removed -- but I don't like having to make the disclaimer about random more-or-less one-off perviness when showing people the show, so the shot has been clipped.

- I would like to swap out shots where the eight-six says "Toreno" on the front for equivalent shots with the proper "Trueno". This is more challenging, as I will need to find similar enough shots in terms of angle / location that will not be jarring. This one is more of a desired change, than one that will necessarily be feasible. I may try to get someone to spot fix the scenes as needed, but this may be a pipe dream.

HELP

Now onto the aspects I would like feedback / assistance with...

- I know there are a number of translation errors, particularly when it comes to technical elements. If folks who're more knowledgeable than me, both in terms of translation as well as car specs, could enlighten me on these, it would be very much appreciated! I want this to be the best version it can be, and nailing down some accuracy would be amazing.

- I am debating whether to cut in the races from the Battle Stages to have the updated animation rather than the original races. I'm a little hesitant to do this, especially in First Stage, as the janky mid-90's CGI is part of the vibe, but would love to get some feedback on if this is something other people would enjoy, as I do plan to release this edit when I'm finished.

- I seem to be unable to rip the subtitles from the files I'm working with, and the .srt files I've been able to find online don't seem to fit the right energy, in terms of the translation. Is there a generally preferred / "best" translation? Does anyone have .srt files for the series they could toss my way? Right now I'm slowly transcribing the subtitles episode by episode, and it is a slog.

- Anything else I haven't mentioned you would like to see in a re-edit? No promises on any suggestions making the cut, but any input is appreciated and will be taken into consideration.

Thank you again for reading, and any feedback you choose to give!
Taro Maki
Posted: May 27 2023, 08:42 AM

IDW Jr. Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 33,812

So you will do this all by yourself ?
Than how long will it take to finish this Project ?
5 Years, 10 Years, maybe longer ?
By this time we all drive electric Vehicles and Cars with combustion Engines are no more. smile.gif

If you want to watch a "compressed" Version of Initial D, watch the "Battle Stages".
Either the original Japanese DVDs/Blu-rays or the subbed Version by darkdream787 who put in a lot of Work into doing this.