Initial D World - Discussion Board / Forums

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )Resend Validation Email

DJ Panel ( Server Stats )   Song History   Initial D World Chat Room (Discord)   Broadband Stream
RADIO BROADCAST » streaming at 96kbps with 7 unique listeners, playing Yuzo Koshiro - Entry (Maxi2 Version)

Views: 10,764  ·  Replies: 13 
> Opening the Hood When the Latch is Broken
THE_HONDA_CG2
  Posted: Sep 30 2015, 05:09 PM

Patient Zero

Group: Advanced Members
Member No.: 37,947

I know this sounds like a stupid question but bare with me on this one.

So I have a friend who has a problem... The latch on the control panel of the car or whatnot is not working and he needs to access the engine bay to do some maintenance work. You can pull on the thing in the car all you want but it doesn't do anything to the hood. He's too lazy to jack the car up and open it from the side or whatever. What can he do? Also note that the car is not in working condition, it will not start or run.
The Sixth Element
Posted: Sep 30 2015, 06:07 PM

matter intangible

Group: Members
Member No.: 44,779

QUOTE (THE_HONDA_CG2 @ 57 minutes, 34 seconds ago)
I know this sounds like a stupid question but bare with me on this one.

So I have a friend who has a problem... The latch on the control panel of the car or whatnot is not working and he needs to access the engine bay to do some maintenance work. You can pull on the thing in the car all you want but it doesn't do anything to the hood. He's too lazy to jack the car up and open it from the side or whatever. What can he do? Also note that the car is not in working condition, it will not start or run.

Your friend probably needs to pry open his hood with a pry bar to get the latch undone. Cars usually have bearings (as I call it) that keep the hood onto the car but the bolts that keep the bearings intact are inside the engine bay so the only option is to pry the latch.
THE_HONDA_CG2
  Posted: Sep 30 2015, 06:25 PM

Patient Zero

Its a really nice RX7 and he doesn't feel like denting up the hood.
Nomake Wan
Posted: Sep 30 2015, 09:50 PM

ShiMACHaze

Member No.: 5,394

I was gonna say, a pry bar!? The hell advice is that!?

If he can at all get at the latch, you may be able to release it with a screwdriver. The best way is if you can get access to the actual cable that connects to the latch. If the in-car handle isn't working, what happened to the cable? If you can get a hold of the cable and yank it (pliers, vicegrips, etc) you should be able to pop the hood.

If you can't get at the cable, then see if he can remove the front wheels and take the splash covers off the fenders to access the engine bay. Perhaps then you can finagle something in there.
Proud Contributor of IDW Forums and the Music Section Revival Project
THE_HONDA_CG2
  Posted: Oct 1 2015, 05:15 AM

Patient Zero

He is much too lazy to remove the wheels and mess around with the car like that. I have no idea why, but that's what he told me. derp.gif

I'll recommend that he try finding the cable, I think the reason for this whole problem is because he garaged the car for so long. I'm sure a mouse or something got to the cable and chewed through it.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ]
MetalMan777
Posted: Oct 1 2015, 12:15 PM

Snooping as usual

Member No.: 32,588

Not likely, it's a steel cable. Check rx7 forums, somebody is bound to know how to get in. Hopefully this friend is wise enough to replace the cable once it's open.
Möbius
Posted: Oct 1 2015, 03:38 PM

IDW Top Poster

Member No.: 3,524

QUOTE (Nomake Wan @ Today, 5:50 AM)
If he can at all get at the latch, you may be able to release it with a screwdriver. The best way is if you can get access to the actual cable that connects to the latch. If the in-car handle isn't working, what happened to the cable? If you can get a hold of the cable and yank it (pliers, vicegrips, etc) you should be able to pop the hood.

/thread

Just about it right there.
Proud Contributor of Initial D World Forums
THE_HONDA_CG2
  Posted: Oct 1 2015, 06:09 PM

Patient Zero

I'll keep everyone updated in the hood problem. Thanks for the advice.

This post has been edited by THE_HONDA_CG2 on Oct 2 2015, 05:09 AM
Nomake Wan
Posted: Oct 2 2015, 12:06 AM

ShiMACHaze

QUOTE (THE_HONDA_CG2 @ Yesterday, 6:15 AM)
He is much too lazy to remove the wheels and mess around with the car like that. I have no idea why, but that's what he told me. derp.gif

Your friend is a moron and doesn't deserve his car if that's his answer. Please have him donate it to someone who will actually take proper care of it.
THE_HONDA_CG2
  Posted: Oct 2 2015, 05:11 AM

Patient Zero

QUOTE (Nomake Wan @ 5 hours, 5 minutes ago)
Your friend is a moron and doesn't deserve his car if that's his answer. Please have him donate it to someone who will actually take proper care of it.

Or maybe he's working on getting another Masters degree and doesn't have time to take care of his belongings. Either way its just his project car, obviously its not the most important thing in his life right now.

Don't be so rude.

Nomake Wan
Posted: Oct 2 2015, 03:36 PM

ShiMACHaze

I'm afraid that's not going to change. I can't stand seeing people be so cavalier with cool cars. You got your answers, maybe it's time to walk quietly away.

THE_HONDA_CG2
  Posted: Oct 2 2015, 10:14 PM

Patient Zero

I understand pet peeves and that everyone is entitled to them. I don't expect an apology from you.

Don't worry about it! Its water under the bridge. smile.gif

This post has been edited by THE_HONDA_CG2 on Oct 4 2015, 10:02 AM
Sensation!
Posted: Oct 3 2015, 10:45 AM

As expected of country grown vegetables
Group Icon

Group: Special Snowflake
Member No.: 19,520

My s13 actually has a hood latch problem. it always has.

Rarely does the cable break, but the plastic ties and mounts that hold the cable in place often do. When they go out, you're left with some extra slack in the cable that prevents you from pulling the wire enough for the hood to unlatch.

You can find the cable and move it closer to its factory mounting position, then try pulling the release

or get a buddy and fanangle the hood release while your buddy tries to lift up the hood. Oddly enough, thats worked for me always. Theres just enough slack on the s13 cable that it almost pops the hood, having someone coerce the hood abit seems to do the trick.

Or go from underneath the car with a screwdriver and go at the hood release on the latch. They're all designed with some sort of mechanism that unlatches the hood at the latch itself for these specific situations. Its usually something you have to push left or right with a flat head.

Don't yank at the cable. Or at least what you perceive to be the cable, because on modern cars, chances are, thats just the rubber sleeving whose ends are terminated in metal and are bolted down somewhere near the latch on one side and the hood release handle on the other. Pulling on the sleeve wont do anything. If you're gonna yank the cable, make sure its the exposed wire within the rubber sleeving.

This post has been edited by Sensation! on Oct 3 2015, 10:58 AM
rayshare
Posted: Oct 20 2021, 11:07 PM

Shmuck

Group: Members
Member No.: 52,704

You can find the cable and move it closer to its factory mounting position, then try pulling the release