Initial D World - Discussion Board / Forums

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )Resend Validation Email

DJ Panel ( Server Stats )   Song History   Initial D World Chat Room (Discord)   Broadband Stream
RADIO BROADCAST » streaming at 96kbps with 9 unique listeners, playing (MF Ghost OST) Deemo - The Spirit Of The Night

Important Rules
• Do not post any obscene material. (i.e. - nudity, explicit graphic situations ... etc.)
• Put a viewer discretion somewhere in your topic title / description when posting topic(s) that others might find offensive. (i.e. - Not Work Safe, PG13 ... etc.)

» FORUM MODERATOR : FORUM MODERATOR

Views: 2,113  ·  Replies: 5 
> Codependency between Human and Machine
Perry
  Posted: Apr 18 2015, 08:24 AM

Like an eagle!
Group Icon

Group: SITE OWNER
Member No.: 1

Recently, I watched the Matrix trilogy again due to boredom. I couldn't help but notice how true some of the things being said in the movies are. It's true, we do need machines. I am not talking about we as in just a few hippies or old folks that are technophobic, I am talking about we as in civilization in general.

One way or another, we rely on machines to do things. Things that you have taken for granted. Things that you probably didn't even know were done by computers. We are surrounded by them whether you like it or not.

They need us too. They need a reason or purpose to exist. Machines don't just evolve from nature. Regardless of your beliefs, machines are anything but natural. It's a sign of intelligence. (That should be the first thing we look for when we explore other worlds in the distant future, but I digress.) We give birth to machines. In a sense, it's more of a parent-child relationship. We are always wiser in the sense that we designed them. We taught them. But their capacity and potential is limitless and beyond our comprehension.

Such is the reason why some people always fear that one day the machines will over rule us. But from a programmer's standpoint, that fear is irrational. Every time a machine or program "decide" something, it follows rules that we have set for them. I mean sure, once in a while, something unexpected can happen. But that isn't the machine that decided to ruin our days, it's simply our inability to write better and more robust programs.

I guess what I am trying to say is, when a civilization evolve advance enough, the creation of machines are inevitable. We choose to let it happen, because we need them just as much as they "need" us.
Proud Contributor of the Music Section Revival Project
Tessou
Posted: Apr 18 2015, 09:20 AM

More NEGATIVE than a black hole
Group Icon

Group: ADMINISTRATOR
Member No.: 12,263

I agree with the post. However, I do not agree with your decision to watch the Matrix trilogy. laugh.gif
Proud Contributor of IDW Forums and the Music Section Revival Project
Perry
  Posted: Apr 18 2015, 09:25 AM

Like an eagle!
Group Icon

Group: SITE OWNER
Member No.: 1

What's wrong with watching all three movies of the franchise back to back? tongue.gif
Proud Contributor of the Music Section Revival Project
Sensation!
Posted: Apr 18 2015, 09:31 AM

As expected of country grown vegetables
Group Icon

Group: Special Snowflake
Member No.: 19,520

Think he's saying something along the lines of "2nd and 3rd matrix movies? they don't exist"

But in relevance to the thread, programmers seem to talk about some singularity; a program being able to intelligently write and optimize its own code as some sort of genesis to it all. Thus, it puts the human programmer not fully in control of his own machine.

Something like that...

That said, I don't believe the whole humans vs machine scifi doomsday scenario. I find that machines occupy a different 'realm' of existence that we humans do. By saying that, I mean that the most intelligent and self replicating machine that could possibly exist will still not compete against humans for resources, that its means and methods for survival differ from ours and don't pose a conflict.

For all I know, the machine may find a permanent state of mutual symbiosis to be the most efficient way it survives.

Of course, what the machine thinks is best for us is another story. After all, the humans ARE kept alive for what I assume is their entire lifespan in the matrix..

This post has been edited by Sensation! on Apr 18 2015, 10:00 AM
Tessou
Posted: Apr 18 2015, 10:16 AM

More NEGATIVE than a black hole
Group Icon

Group: ADMINISTRATOR
Member No.: 12,263

The fear of being taken over as the dominant species is what keeps us from going that far consciously. Humans have no natural predators at the moment, yet we are still rather fragile, relying entirely on intelligence to dominate the planet. Having something equally or more intelligent than us would circumvent that advantage, putting us in a less-than-desirable position of potentially being subservient to something we created.

Speaking of... Age of Ultron comes out later this year. laugh.gif
Proud Contributor of IDW Forums and the Music Section Revival Project
Möbius
Posted: May 7 2015, 03:15 PM

IDW Top Poster

Group: Advanced Members
Member No.: 3,524

In any case, AI is most definitely within our lifetime.

Or at the very least not in the scope where they can make humanity subservient.
Proud Contributor of Initial D World Forums