Initial D World - Discussion Board / Forums

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )Resend Validation Email

DJ Panel ( Server Stats )   Song History   Initial D World Chat Room (Discord)   Broadband Stream
RADIO BROADCAST » streaming at 96kbps with 6 unique listeners, playing (Fifth Stage DS2) Chris Stanton - A Perfect Hero

Important Rules
• Please do NOT post knowingly false information. Violators will be issued an actual warning.
• Please do NOT copy and paste articles from other websites. Link and short description is ok, but please do not copy and paste pages of info. Violator will be issued a verbal warning.
• Do NOT post any torrents and/or links to pirated copies of software here. Violator will be issued a verbal warning.
• Discussions about illegal materials such as ROMs, WAREZ and methods of copying copyrighted materials are not encouraged in this subforum.

» FORUM MODERATOR : FORUM MODERATOR

5 Pages  1 2 3 4 » ( Go to first unread post )

Views: 30,205  ·  Replies: 106 
> Best Codecs for Anime / General Purpose, Just a small discussion on codecs and filters
BOZZ
Posted: Jan 27 2008, 12:49 PM

IDW Posts A Freaking LOT Member

Group: Advanced Members
Member No.: 1,414

QUOTE (Nomake Wan @ Jan 23 2008, 03:27 PM)
Tested KMplayer, hated it. It's basically VLC but with more bloat, not to mention that the normal, basic package only comes in Korean. The Multilanguage installer lacks a lot of the installation options that the original Korean installer has. That's a huge minus.

I've gone back and uninstalled it... I was hoping it would be a replacement for Windows Media Player but since it uses its own codecs instead of reaching out to the system, it's just as useful as VLC (and I already use VLC).

Now, if someone can link me to a video player that uses the same VMR layer as Windows Media Player but doesn't eat up CPU cycles uselessly, that would be awesome. I've tried every output config I know in Media Player Classic and it still doesn't use the same hardware acceleration layer as WMP. I can't figure it out.

It also plays some weird file formats too (kmplayer). I downloaded some video that I was not able to get working in VLC, but it worked fine in Kmplayer. Plus, is the name misleading, or is Kmplayer based on mplayer?
Lebon14
Posted: Jan 27 2008, 12:59 PM

🎧

Member No.: 18,005

QUOTE (Nomake Wan @ Jan 23 2008, 03:27 PM)
Tested KMplayer, hated it. It's basically VLC but with more bloat, not to mention that the normal, basic package only comes in Korean. The Multilanguage installer lacks a lot of the installation options that the original Korean installer has. That's a huge minus.

FALSE.
The KMPlayer comes in Korean AND English by default. If you check the English Official Website's forum, you can even find some other languages! Also, the translation are probably Korean > English > Other language. But, it has the same features in all languages versions.
Proud Contributor of IDW Forums and the Music Section Revival Project
Nomake Wan
Posted: Jan 27 2008, 02:15 PM

ShiMACHaze

Member No.: 5,394

QUOTE (Lebon14 @ Today at 12:59 PM)
FALSE.
The KMPlayer comes in Korean AND English by default.  If you check the English Official Website's forum, you can even find some other languages!  Also, the translation are probably Korean > English > Other language.  But, it has the same features in all languages versions.

Okay, the installer was in English but there was no installation option to have it start up in English. When I installed it, the installer was in English and I got it from an English forum, so I assumed the program would be in English as well. It wasn't, it was in Korean. I'm sorry, but I can't read Korean. So where was the English setting? Was it under adhsaodshaourwefs?

Bozz: Mplayer is a single executable, isn't it? KMplayer has a bunch of DLLs for its different supported formats, similar to VLC. So I'm guessing that rather than being based on mplayer, the name means "Korean Media Player."

EDIT: And regardless of English setting, the program itself still sucks. Just so Lebon doesn't think that by finding an English setting will make me love it or something. laugh.gif

This post has been edited by Nomake Wan on Jan 27 2008, 02:17 PM
Lebon14
Posted: Jan 27 2008, 02:22 PM

🎧

Member No.: 18,005

QUOTE (Nomake Wan @ Today at 6:15 PM)
Okay, the installer was in English but there was no installation option to have it start up in English. When I installed it, the installer was in English and I got it from an English forum, so I assumed the program would be in English as well. It wasn't, it was in Korean. I'm sorry, but I can't read Korean. So where was the English setting? Was it under adhsaodshaourwefs?

Strange bug... Habitually, when you choose English with the installer, the program will be in English if you choose Korean, it'll be korean... strange.

Anyway, I'm sticking to my beloved KMPlayer.
khat17
  Posted: Jan 27 2008, 07:06 PM

IDW SIMPLETON

Member No.: 17,668

I never did an install. I just got the ZIP file and extracted it, then ran it. No problems on my end. I guess due to your dislike (N1) you probably don't care about how it runs, but if you like, I could download the install version and test it out to see what's up.

I'm into testing a bit, since I'll be formatting soon anyways.

PeAcE.
Nomake Wan
Posted: Jan 27 2008, 10:09 PM

ShiMACHaze

I might like KMplayer if I didn't have VLC, that's all I mean.

I really need a player that uses the exact same hardware interface layer that WMP11 uses, but without the CPU hogging and odd bugs that WMP has.
BOZZ
Posted: Jan 28 2008, 06:56 PM

QUOTE (Nomake Wan @ Yesterday at 6:15 PM)

Bozz: Mplayer is a single executable, isn't it? KMplayer has a bunch of DLLs for its different supported formats, similar to VLC. So I'm guessing that rather than being based on mplayer, the name means "Korean Media Player."

EDIT: And regardless of English setting, the program itself still sucks. Just so Lebon doesn't think that by finding an English setting will make me love it or something. laugh.gif

Mplayer as a single executable? I am not entirely sure, I do know that you have to install codecs to use it properly under Linux (w32codecs).

Apparently the K is from the developer's family name (Kang) and KMPlayer stands for K-Multimedia Player. Seems like it had GPL code within the project, but the developer claimed it had none of it and removed all the visible traces of it.

This post has been edited by BOZZY on Jan 28 2008, 07:00 PM
Nomake Wan
Posted: Jan 28 2008, 07:06 PM

ShiMACHaze

Hmm... I've never used mplayer in UNIX/Linux, only on MacOSX and Windows... and on MacOSX and Windows I recall it was one executable... I guess that's changed since I just checked my copy of mplayer/mencoder and it has a bunch of DLLs. Hrm.

Well whatever, doesn't change anything... Anybody know what exactly WMP11 does differently from MPC? If I knew what I was looking for, it'd be a lot easier to find a replacement media player.
khat17
  Posted: Sep 23 2008, 07:41 AM

IDW SIMPLETON

I'm guessing you've found a replacement player by now. Heh.

N1 pointed me to MPC-HC recently, and I'm glad to say, it has been integrated into CCCP.

For your edification:

Media Player Classic is a compact media player for Microsoft Windows. The application mimics the look and feel of the old, light-weight Windows Media Player 6.4 but integrates most options and features found in modern media players. (Taken from WIKIPEDIA)

Now the MPC project has been halted for some time now, by the developer Gabest. Media Player Classic - Home Cinema is a continuation of that project by someone else. "This project is based on the original "Media Player Classic" and was created after Gabest, the original author, stopped working on it. Several new features have been integrated in this player" (see the website for details).

Now MPC-HC can play video all on it's own with internal decoders, and now integrated with CCCP, I think it was a pretty sweet move. Download and try for yourselves.

PeAcE.
BOZZ
Posted: Sep 23 2008, 08:37 AM

Oh yeah, MPC-HC also has support for EVR rendering which helps for playing HD video (at least that's what I've seem to get from the discussions with Numero Uno Wan).
Nomake Wan
Posted: Sep 23 2008, 09:12 AM

ShiMACHaze

QUOTE (BOZZY @ Today at 9:37 AM)
Oh yeah, MPC-HC also has support for EVR rendering which helps for playing HD video (at least that's what I've seem to get from the discussions with Numero Uno Wan).

EVR is for playing video with hardware acceleration in Vista. In XP, hardware acceleration runs under VMR9 Renderless.
BOZZ
Posted: Sep 23 2008, 10:25 AM

Ah thanks for clearing that up Numero Uno... Actually, did the Air BR video that you posted decades ago... Did it make use of hardware acceleration?
Nomake Wan
Posted: Sep 23 2008, 02:30 PM

ShiMACHaze

QUOTE (BOZZY @ Today at 11:25 AM)
Ah thanks for clearing that up Numero Uno... Actually, did the Air BR video that you posted decades ago... Did it make use of hardware acceleration?

Yes. It was the video khat and I used to prove that the G84+ series nVidia chips did, in fact, have h.264 hardware acceleration.
khat17
  Posted: Sep 24 2008, 05:22 AM

IDW SIMPLETON

http://www.sendspace.com/file/q0hu6o

There is said video. If it's not downloaded then the link will die automatically.

PeAcE.
BOZZ
Posted: Sep 24 2008, 06:05 AM

Awnnnn... AVI? Was this re-encoded or something? I remember having an MKV version which just plain would not play... ><
khat17
  Posted: Sep 24 2008, 08:14 AM

IDW SIMPLETON

Nah. As I recall it was AVI. I had re-encoded it to DIVX so that it looked decent and didn't suck as many resources. I can put that one up as well if you like.

PeAcE.
BOZZ
Posted: Sep 24 2008, 10:16 AM

QUOTE (khat17 @ Today at 12:14 PM)
Nah. As I recall it was AVI. I had re-encoded it to DIVX so that it looked decent and didn't suck as many resources. I can put that one up as well if you like.

PeAcE.

It's all good... Can't wait to try this out in Vista... I can't believe I still am using Vista... ><
Nomake Wan
Posted: Sep 24 2008, 01:09 PM

ShiMACHaze

QUOTE (BOZZY @ Today at 7:05 AM)
Awnnnn... AVI? Was this re-encoded or something? I remember having an MKV version which just plain would not play... ><

The original was an AVI, which I then dropped into MKVmerge to create an MKV for. You can do the same, if you like.

I don't think any of us are using PowerDVD, though. Not since MPC-HC's decoder does the exact same thing and works with any format that MPC does. wink2.gif
BOZZ
Posted: Sep 24 2008, 01:32 PM

QUOTE (Nomake Wan @ Today at 5:09 PM)
The original was an AVI, which I then dropped into MKVmerge to create an MKV for. You can do the same, if you like.

I don't think any of us are using PowerDVD, though. Not since MPC-HC's decoder does the exact same thing and works with any format that MPC does. wink2.gif

Nah mang, the one I downloaded was originally an MKV... Remember we had a conversation about it? I was asking you how come the PowerDVD filter wasn't helping play the MKV?
Nomake Wan
Posted: Sep 24 2008, 02:33 PM

ShiMACHaze

QUOTE (BOZZY @ Today at 2:32 PM)
Nah mang, the one I downloaded was originally an MKV... Remember we had a conversation about it? I was asking you how come the PowerDVD filter wasn't helping play the MKV?

You downloaded the MKV version of the AVI file first? Interesting.

As I said in my previous post, I don't think any of us are using PowerDVD anymore, now that MPC-HC can do the very same thing (but for free, and for any format supported by MPC).
khat17
  Posted: Sep 25 2008, 04:17 AM

IDW SIMPLETON

Are you saying that MPC-HC uses VMR9 or some other technique to send the video stream to the graph card to decode? Explain plz. If it does I'm not seeing it. Unless I need to disable CoreAVC to see the results.........

PeAcE.

This post has been edited by khat17 on Sep 25 2008, 04:18 AM
BOZZ
Posted: Sep 25 2008, 05:28 AM

QUOTE (Nomake Wan @ Yesterday at 6:33 PM)
You downloaded the MKV version of the AVI file first? Interesting.

As I said in my previous post, I don't think any of us are using PowerDVD anymore, now that MPC-HC can do the very same thing (but for free, and for any format supported by MPC).

I am not too sure, I think it was from a different source.
Nomake Wan
Posted: Sep 25 2008, 08:59 AM

ShiMACHaze

QUOTE (khat17 @ Today at 5:17 AM)
Are you saying that MPC-HC uses VMR9 or some other technique to send the video stream to the graph card to decode? Explain plz. If it does I'm not seeing it. Unless I need to disable CoreAVC to see the results.........

PeAcE.

I think you confused yourself.

To allow the render graph to be sent to the hardware decoder on bitstream-capable graphics cards, MPC-HC's output renderer must be set to VMR9 Renderless in XP, or EVR Custom in Vista. While you could set it to just EVR in Vista, this would break subtitles and I don't think anyone wants that. If you have .NET Framework 3 installed on your XP machine, you could also use EVR... but I couldn't get it working, so I just use good ol' VMR9 Renderless.

CoreAVC does not support hardware rendering and probably never will, despite its creator saying from the beginning that the professional version would. CoreAVC is, has been, and probably always will be an incredibly efficient software decoder. If you want hardware decoding, block CoreAVC (and any other h.264 decoder you may have) and use MPC-HC's internal decoder instead.
khat17
  Posted: Sep 25 2008, 09:52 AM

IDW SIMPLETON

I didn't really confuse myself, more like I didn't convey it properly. Now to the matter at hand - OMG! Talk about SWEET!

user posted image

After changing that setting (enabling DXVA for H264) and unregistering COREAVC as the decoder - I'm getting a WHOPPING 4% CPU USAGE!!!!

N1 = GENII

So now, I don't really need to use COREAVC - but I'll still get the updates and hope they have the hardware decoding sorted out. Any other suggested settings N1? Waiting for any other tests to be done.

PeAcE.

This post has been edited by khat17 on Sep 25 2008, 10:02 AM
BOZZ
Posted: Sep 25 2008, 10:16 AM

I'll have to try that... How do you set that up (the DXVA filter) khat?

5 Pages  1 2 3 4 »