Initial D World - Discussion Board / Forums

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )Resend Validation Email

DJ Panel ( Server Stats )   Song History   Initial D World Chat Room (Discord)   Broadband Stream
RADIO BROADCAST » streaming at 96kbps with 10 unique listeners, playing DJ Pikachu_Fragger's Total Control Geass CM2

Important Rules
• Please do NOT post knowingly false information. Violators will be issued an actual warning.
• Please do NOT copy and paste articles from other websites. Link and short description is ok, but please do not copy and paste pages of info. Violator will be issued a verbal warning.
• Do NOT post any torrents and/or links to pirated copies of software here. Violator will be issued a verbal warning.
• Discussions about illegal materials such as ROMs, WAREZ and methods of copying copyrighted materials are not encouraged in this subforum.

» FORUM MODERATOR : FORUM MODERATOR

Views: 2,847  ·  Replies: 11 
> Desktop audio driver headache, Ongoing issue since Fall '08
HashiriyaR32
  Posted: Apr 13 2010, 01:27 PM

Unlimited Request Works

Group: Advanced Members
Member No.: 18,031

Before I start, I'm looking for (SigmaTEL High Definition Audio for Intel Motherboard D946GZIS on Windows XP Home). My system specs are:
Intel Celeron D @ 2.8GHz x 2
1GB RAM
ATI Radeon X1550

Okay, I may have mentioned this to some of you guys in #IDW for a while now, but as my laptop is currently suffering a starting issue (I'll make a new thread for this if I don't fix it by tonight), I've decided to tackle an issue on one of my desktops that's been unsolved since around mid-November of 2008. Before that time, I still had fully functioning audio. But when I came home again in mid-december, I found out that I no longer had audio. Dad, who became the primary user of the system in question since fall of '07, blames it on a system update that somehow took out the driver, and was apparently a big issue with other users with the same combination of audio driver and OS. Now that my laptop's basically crippled, I'm actively searching for the right driver so I can turn this desktop back into a fully functioning machine. I'm running into a lot of problems, such as:

Google giving results of driver scanners rather than the driver (I WANT THE FRICKIN' DRIVER, NOT YOUR PAID SCANNER CRAP!?!?)
Expired pages (intel's site doesn't even have this chipset anymore. searches there yield nothing viable)
Driver doesn't actually install
And other loads of bullcrap

Does ANYONE OUT THERE know where I can get the latest version of the driver I mentioned in the beginning of this post?

EDIT: And before anyone asks, Onboard Audio setting in BIOS is <ENABLED>.

This post has been edited by HashiriyaR32 on Jun 29 2010, 08:22 PM
Nomake Wan
Posted: Apr 13 2010, 09:58 PM

ShiMACHaze

Member No.: 5,394

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/SearchResu...+Board+D946GZIS

Five seconds, literally. All I did was type the motherboard model by itself into Google. The first result was Intel's support page. Google fail. no.gif
Proud Contributor of IDW Forums and the Music Section Revival Project
HashiriyaR32
  Posted: Apr 14 2010, 02:49 AM

Unlimited Request Works

Just learned something new......Sigmatel is now IDT >_<

EDIT: I got that, except I can't install the driver at all. It spews out one of the error messages listed under "Audio Drivers Failed TO Install" here. I've looked for one of the two files that I have to delete listed in the steps, but they aren't there. So I move on to using "kb888111xpsp2", and that doesn't work either. It just keeps failing and failing. I've done pretty much everything in that section except for reinstalling Windows, since I need to find my install disc.

This post has been edited by HashiriyaR32 on Apr 14 2010, 11:26 AM
Nomake Wan
Posted: Apr 14 2010, 01:26 PM

ShiMACHaze

When was the last time you ran a registry clean with CCleaner on that? Never, I'm guessing? Might I suggest trying that, rebooting, then attempting the install again?
HashiriyaR32
  Posted: Apr 14 2010, 03:34 PM

Unlimited Request Works

QUOTE (Nomake Wan @ 2 hours, 7 minutes ago)
When was the last time you ran a registry clean with CCleaner on that? Never, I'm guessing? Might I suggest trying that, rebooting, then attempting the install again?

Running now. And on the contrary, my dad runs CCleaner on that system regularly (once every week or so). He's the main user of it, not me. He's just too lazy to actually find a solution to that audio issue.
Nomake Wan
Posted: Apr 14 2010, 03:55 PM

ShiMACHaze

The thing is though, does he just run the cleaner when he runs it, or does he actually scan/fix the registry?
HashiriyaR32
  Posted: Apr 14 2010, 04:39 PM

Unlimited Request Works

Okay, now that's a good point. I'll have to take it up with him when I get the chance. I usually see it running, but don't stick around long enough to see the results.
HashiriyaR32
  Posted: Jun 29 2010, 08:01 PM

Unlimited Request Works

So I'm here again trying to get my audio issue fixed since I have time these days. After numerous reinstalls and uninstalls over the entire weekend, the most I've achieved is this:

user posted image

So having given up, I decided to pick up a Xtreme Sound 5.1 soundcard from Diamond and ditch the onboard audio. I installed the hardware and the drivers according to the manual to the letter, and right now, I'm seeing a NEAR-MIRROR IMAGE.

user posted image

Now I'm just COMPLETELY clueless as to what is going on, and I suspect that something else might be up since it's doing it to both devices.

This post has been edited by HashiriyaR32 on Jun 29 2010, 08:23 PM
Nomake Wan
Posted: Jun 29 2010, 09:50 PM

ShiMACHaze

hay guy

http://forums.techguy.org/3289766-post5.html

take one and call me in the morning
HashiriyaR32
  Posted: Jun 30 2010, 05:34 PM

Unlimited Request Works

hay doc

No worky

I removed all the audio stuff from other devices, and then did a reinstall of the driver for my current device. Same result.
Nomake Wan
Posted: Jun 30 2010, 11:02 PM

ShiMACHaze

QUOTE (HashiriyaR32 @ 5 hours, 28 minutes ago)
I removed all the audio stuff from other devices, and then did a reinstall of the driver for my current device. Same result.

but the guys in every single thread have done that and they always say it doesn't work and you said it didn't work before so I'm kinda wondering why you thought it would magically work this time but that's cool

anyway good luck, I'm sure google has the answer somewhere
khat17
Posted: Jul 22 2010, 06:20 AM

IDW SIMPLETON

Member No.: 17,668

Suggesting that you boot with a Linux live CD - Ubuntu - Knoppix - OpenSUSE - etc - and see if your audio works then. Your problems could be related to the card/onboard audio device failing.

If it works fine in Linux then you can do a backup of your system using any of the free solutions online. I would recommend Paragon Backup & Recovery Free. Others are available such as Acronis and such - search for them in Google.

Do a backup - save your file to another partition or external drive - format and reinstall Windows for the sake of testing - and if it still doesn't work then you know it's the card. If it works - or if you finally find some working driver - then restore your older/original image from backup, then delete the devices from Device Manager - uninstall the drivers - manually search for and delete the files - and then reinstall the drivers using the one you tested and know works from the fresh installation.