Initial D World - Discussion Board / Forums

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )Resend Validation Email

DJ Panel ( Server Stats )   Song History   Initial D World Chat Room (Discord)   Broadband Stream
RADIO BROADCAST » streaming at 96kbps with 9 unique listeners, playing m.o.v.e - Gamble Rumble

Automotive Section Rules
• Scenes depicted in Initial D are strictly fiction. Please follow the traffic rules and drive safely.
• When posting a classified thread, please label it with For Sale (FS), For Trade (FT) or Want To Buy (WTB) in the thread title.
• Use the Search function before you start a new topic. Posting a duplicated thread may earn yourself a verbal warning.
• Personal videos of illegal street racing are prohibited. Do NOT brag about your exploits. Posting a video depicting dangerous/reckless driving behavior on your part will result in an actual warning.

» FORUM MODERATOR : FORUM MODERATOR

113 Pages  « 109 110 111 112 113  ( Go to first unread post )

Views: 211,897  ·  Replies: 2,806 
> The "What should i buy" thread, Because choosing yourself can be hard.
xiao
  Posted: Sep 29 2016, 04:08 PM

moon bunny

Group: XIAO
Member No.: 13,323

QUOTE (norinorinori @ 2 hours, 1 minutes ago)
On the lookout for ideas for a new daily driver in a few years, so something that's come out fairly recently.

I think I would prefer something I can flick around and is fun to drive over a ton of power. Driving in snowy conditions and a relatively low cost of maintenance is important to me too.

I rarely drive anything other than my Focus and a delivery van. Are there ever something like manufacturer test days that run at race tracks? A normal test drive from a dealership might not be enough to find out what I really like.

You just described the Subaru BRZed / Scion FR-S.

I'm a Perry Bible weeaboo™ so there's no way I'd ever recommend an American car anything that isn't Japanese awesome.gif ~ luckily Subaru made a pretty nice 30-thousand dollar car. So go dress up in business casual & tell the salesman you're a software designer for Xerox or IBM & you'll be surprised at how friendly they change their disposition to let you do whatever pops into your head while behind the wheel ... wink3.gif

Even if you're not gonna buy it ~ it'll make for a pretty fun afternoon ~ I guarantee it!™ -- about the snow ~ just put some snow tires on it. awesome.gif

YOUTUBE ( https://youtube.com/watch?v=he0WvPDxjZc )

This post has been edited by xiao on Sep 29 2016, 04:11 PM
Proud Contributor of Initial D World Forums
norinorinori
Posted: Sep 29 2016, 06:42 PM

IDW Full Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 46,425

Good point- I'll definitely have to try going incognito. I don't think they'd let some punk wearing $20 Winners jeans and a hoodie push a car hard for very long.

The BRZ/FR-S/86 is actually what I had in mind when thinking of a track test. I'm just worried a RWD would have trouble making it up such a steep driveway that I have with a lot of snow or ice on the ground (or staying on top of the hill if I can't pull out right away).

This post has been edited by norinorinori on Sep 29 2016, 06:43 PM
Seri
Posted: Sep 29 2016, 06:49 PM

Quirks and Features of IDW
Group Icon

Group: FORUM MODERATOR
Member No.: 40,610

Tires. Tires, tires, tires, tires.

Did I mention tires?
xiao
  Posted: Sep 29 2016, 08:14 PM

moon bunny

QUOTE (norinorinori @ 1 hour, 26 minutes ago)
Good point- I'll definitely have to try going incognito. I don't think they'd let some punk wearing $20 Winners jeans and a hoodie push a car hard for very long.

The dressing up all nice & going incognito bit only goes so far ~ I was able to test drive a 2016 Stingray tops, but it had no effect on a Porsche 911 or a Beemer M4 ~ you need NSA clearance & a background check to just pop da hood! user posted image

QUOTE (Seri @ 1 hour, 19 minutes ago)
TIRES!!!

Preach! Hallelujah Uphill BRZee Jesus!! \(^o^)/
Regen
Posted: Oct 8 2016, 11:59 PM

Shmuck

Member No.: 47,587

So, I'll just post a snip of my introduction post;
"Hi! My name is Bret, a 23 year-old from Winnipeg, MB. (that's in Canada) I was here, under a potentially similar name god knows how many years ago, but it's not like anyone would remember it, because as a 13 year-old I most likely made the type of posts a 13 year-old would make. Now that I'm 23, I can make the type of post a 16 year-old would make! Or, rather, I'm looking to buy my first car, (late bloomer, I know) and this old place just sprung to mind when I thought of asking for advice!"

My new work doesn't have a bus route anywhere near it. It's not really cost effective to take a cab there, so I'm investing in my first vehicle. My budget is around $1500-$2000, pretty low. (especially for Canada, given the price of our dollar) But, that's because I've basically been living off of peanuts for a while, and $1700 is all I could get selling my PC rig. Obviously I can go a little higher than $1700, but not by much.

I'd definitely wants something manual, so maybe I could feel slightly more proud of myself. I'm not gonna lie, driving a manual makes me feel good, in a strange way. I don't care about drifting or anything too flashy, but I'd like to be able to bring it to a track day with my buddies without being laughed at too hard.

So, does anybody have suggestions? I don't care about features as long as it has A/C. I could care less about power windows, cruise control, ETC; I was thinking a Honda Civic of some kind, but I'm not sure what the "problem" children in that family of cars is. Again, I'm pretty much a blank slate in terms of vehicular opinion, so I'm taking all comers to help me solve my vehicular dilemma.
Seri
Posted: Oct 9 2016, 06:58 AM

Group Icon

So I went and did some shopping for you, and I found this.

A 1994 Toyota Celica.

I tried finding a Miata, because that's always the answer, but I couldn't quite find a good one for your budget.

And then I found this.

The Lancer WRX. I mean, Ralliart.

It is stretching it to that 2k limit, but it'd be a fun car.

Edit: This is of course at that budget point where you are taking a risk with what you buy, just a warning, since I've gotten burnt a couple times now. whistling.gif

This post has been edited by Seri on Oct 9 2016, 07:09 AM
Regen
Posted: Oct 9 2016, 12:51 PM

Shmuck

Member No.: 47,587

Wow! You didn't have to do that! I don't know what to say other than thanks, I really appreciate it. I'll definitely look into those.
Seri
Posted: Oct 9 2016, 02:05 PM

Group Icon

Nah, it's become sort of a hobby of mine lately, so I don't mind at all.

It was fun to see what Canada's used market was like compared to ours down here in the US.
Sensation!
Posted: Oct 9 2016, 02:20 PM

As expected of country grown vegetables
Group Icon

Group: Special Snowflake
Member No.: 19,520

Nothing wrong with owning a civic, don't let anyone tell you otherwise. We have a fellow Canadian by the name of Lonely Driver who's building one up as a track car, he'll be your go-to guy for this.

Seri
Posted: Oct 9 2016, 02:37 PM

Group Icon

This is also true.

I own a '96 coupe, they're good cars. (Though mine was bought out of necessity.)

Either way, go out and drive some stuff, see what you like.
Spaz
Posted: Oct 11 2016, 07:22 PM

Just a guy towing a car across the country to chase a dream.
Group Icon

Member No.: 30,193

Grappler just bought a Civic as well for a daily, but I'll let him post it up about it since I don't want to spoil his fun.
norinorinori
Posted: Oct 22 2016, 02:54 PM

IDW Full Member

Anyone with a pickup here? I'm on the lookout for a very cheap (<$2000) pickup for very occasional light use, e.g. a couple sheets of plywood or other large objects that aren't necessarily heavy.

The main thing I'm looking for is reliability and a low cost of maintenance over a couple years. If there came a time when a ton of money had to be put into it to keep it road legal, either selling it for a big hit or keeping it as a farm vehicle/beater would be fine.

I'm guessing the Japanese makes would be the place to start at this price point.

This post has been edited by norinorinori on Oct 22 2016, 02:55 PM
xiao
  Posted: Oct 22 2016, 06:59 PM

moon bunny

QUOTE (norinorinori @ 4 hours, 2 minutes ago)
I'm guessing the Japanese makes would be the place to start at this price point.

Semi-new Ford F-150's come by pretty cheap down here in TX/New Mejicow ... keep searching autotrader or Craig's List your nearest big-city ~ hopefully you'll find something ~ just don't narrow your options to something Japanese. If it's good and it offers the transportation you need -- let it get you through college, then dump it for a midnight-blu 488 GTB™ with a Justin Beebs dash for your new jorb. Also I've seen some decent c.2001 Impreza's go for that price too. Good luck mang! happy.gif
norinorinori
Posted: Oct 22 2016, 07:36 PM

IDW Full Member

A hitch and trailer for my current car would probably be smarter money spent, but... sometimes I just like to imagine driving around in my hemi like in a commercial... splashing through big pot holes and mud puddles at a job site with a stack of 2x4s in the back. All the big boys even the wizened foreman who's seen it all thinking "this guy and his truck are so badass" without a trace of irony.
xiao
Posted: Oct 22 2016, 11:06 PM

moon bunny

QUOTE (norinorinori @ 3 hours, 27 minutes ago)
A hitch and trailer for my current car would probably be smarter money spent, but... sometimes I just like to imagine driving around in my hemi like in a commercial... splashing through big pot holes and mud puddles at a job site with a stack of 2x4s in the back. All the big boys even the wizened foreman who's seen it all thinking "this guy and his truck are so badass" without a trace of irony.

Like a Rock ~ ohhh like a ROCK!! laugh.gif

I personally think Tacoma's are pretty nice tho' ~ totally has nothing to do with the fact that I had a crush on Stephen from Laguna Beach back in High School ~ I swear! XD

This post has been edited by xiao on Oct 22 2016, 11:09 PM
Zergax
Posted: Nov 24 2016, 12:26 AM

IDW Full Member

Member No.: 47,708

If figured if people new about cars it might be you guys!

So here's the deal I need a car with some trunk space (Enough to put a golfbag or equivalent) and thats fun enough to drive. (AKA preferably manual and not some old minivan) But my issue is it's my first time seriously looking for a car so I'm at a bit of a loss. I need a daily driver I can take to work no matter the weather that works at -30 to +30. I've got a around 3k budget and I'm in Quebec, Canada.

So if you guys have suggestions help questions or anything go ahead!
Let me help you help me!
kyonpalm
Posted: Nov 24 2016, 08:33 AM

Professional Amateur
Group Icon

Group: ADMINISTRATOR
Member No.: 30,882

QUOTE (Zergax @ 8 hours, 6 minutes ago)

So here's the deal I need a car with some trunk space (Enough to put a golfbag or equivalent) and thats fun enough to drive. (AKA preferably manual and not some old minivan) But my issue is it's my first time seriously looking for a car so I'm at a bit of a loss. I need a daily driver I can take to work no matter the weather that works at -30 to +30. I've got a around 3k budget and I'm in Quebec, Canada.

Let me help you help me!

Try to keep your eyes open for a Civic hatch, or maybe a Legacy wagon.
Proud Contributor of the Music Section Revival Project
RalliKai
Posted: Nov 24 2016, 08:41 AM

IDW Goldmember

Group: Advanced Members
Member No.: 3,607

QUOTE (Zergax @ 8 hours, 14 minutes ago)

Let me help you help me!

A Civic, Corolla and or a Legacy all would be good choices based on what you described.
Seri
Posted: Nov 24 2016, 09:16 AM

Group Icon

I third the Legacy wagon idea.
xiao
Posted: Nov 24 2016, 01:33 PM

moon bunny

QUOTE (Zergax @ Today, 2:26 AM)

So here's the deal I need a car with some trunk space (Enough to put a golfbag or equivalent) and thats fun enough to drive. (AKA preferably manual and not some old minivan) But my issue is it's my first time seriously looking for a car so I'm at a bit of a loss. I need a daily driver I can take to work no matter the weather that works at -30 to +30.
I've got a around 3k budget and I'm in Quebec, Canada.

Let me help you help me!

Subaru Bee Arr Zeeeeeeed !! awesome.gif

I got tunnel-vision once you said 3k so that's all I heard ... user posted image

You can leave all your other property in a U-Haul somewhere in Maryland & live off of WRX Pearl Blue paint fumes ~ awesome.gif
Zergax
Posted: Nov 24 2016, 10:59 PM

IDW Full Member

Member No.: 47,708

Thanks for the replies!

Yeah a civic sounds nice but I'm not sure I'll be able to find a legacy...

Also I need some trunk space not a black hole back there XD
Little Edit: What I mean is it can be a bit sportier it doesn't have to be a hatchback it just needs to have a functional trunk like most sedans)

Really not sure about the Corolla last time I checked (Back when my grandfather had one) they where boring as hell to drive....

This post has been edited by Zergax on Nov 24 2016, 11:15 PM
Seri
Posted: Nov 25 2016, 06:15 AM

Group Icon

Civic EK Coupe, if you're going Civic.

I can vouch for those, I have one.
RalliKai
Posted: Nov 25 2016, 08:59 AM

IDW Goldmember

Group: Advanced Members
Member No.: 3,607

A 3K budget really limits in the fun department. A Sentra SE-R Spec V or Celica GT-S could fall into your budget though. Those are a bit more entertaining than a Civic EX and Corolla. I'd also hunt around for a 2.5RS Impreza.
xiao
Posted: Nov 25 2016, 10:48 AM

moon bunny

Keeping with my Subaru fanboy'ism for no apparent reason ~ an old Subie Outback would probly fit the bill just as good as a Legacy ~ & plenty'o room in the boot! awesome.gif
Tessou
Posted: Nov 25 2016, 02:43 PM

More NEGATIVE than a black hole
Group Icon

Group: ADMINISTRATOR
Member No.: 12,263

QUOTE (Zergax @ Yesterday, 4:26 AM)

Let me help you help me!

Get a CR-V. Full time AWD (make sure you're looking at a 4WD model, they have an emblem on the tailgate denoting this), lots were manufactured with 5MT, run in the ~20MPG range, and they are Honda-reliable. They are also dirt cheap because Honda made shitloads of them. You can get decent 2nd gens for ~$2500.

Plenty of storage space, seating room for passengers, and it will have no problem commuting in shitty weather.
Proud Contributor of IDW Forums and the Music Section Revival Project

113 Pages  « 109 110 111 112 113