Initial D World - Discussion Board / Forums

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )Resend Validation Email

DJ Panel ( Server Stats )   Song History   Initial D World Chat Room (Discord)   Broadband Stream
RADIO BROADCAST » streaming at 96kbps with 9 unique listeners, playing Dave Rodgers - Wheels Of Fire

Views: 5,806  ·  Replies: 0 
> Server Slowdown on New Year's day, Detailed explanation with updates
Perry
    Posted: Jan 2 2006, 04:19 PM

Like an eagle!
Group Icon

Group: SITE OWNER
Member No.: 1

First of all, Happy Year 2006 everyone !! I couldn't say it on New Year's day because, as you all know, the forums were loading very slow and timing out frequently yesterday. I've contacted the host, the last update I got from them was that they are working on fixing the issue. Apparently, it's fixed now, but I have yet to get an explanation on the slowdown. I'll keep you all posted as soon as I get any new updates from the host.

The following is only my own assumption based on my observation. I believe the slowdown was caused by a DDoS attack launched on New Year's day. I was browsing on the forums around 03:00AM PST 1/1/2006 and it was loading perfectly smooth. When I try to access the forums again around 1:30PM PST, it took at least one minute to load and an error message (Server Could Not Handle Request) returned. The server load at that time was well over 200. I asked some of the members that were on the forums at the time, one of them (Apex Carver) said the forums were loading slow as early as 09:00AM ET (06:00AM PST) So something must've happened during 03:00AM ~ 06:00AM.

As you can see, the connectivities reduced significantly after 6:30AM ET and reached almost zero connectivity around 04:00PM ET.

user posted image
(The time are in ET)

Updates from host
I just received a message from the host. It turns out there was an user using malicious codes on the same server our forums are on. The user was using up all the system resource with his/her scripts. Our host has removed the user immediately and the server should be back to normal now. Sorry for the inconveniences on New Year's day.
Proud Contributor of the Music Section Revival Project