Initial D World - Discussion Board / Forums

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )Resend Validation Email

DJ Panel ( Server Stats )   Song History   Initial D World Chat Room (Discord)   Broadband Stream
RADIO BROADCAST » streaming at 96kbps with 5 unique listeners, playing Yuzo Koshiro - Entry (Maxi2 Version)

Important Rules
• Please do NOT post knowingly false information. Violators will be issued an actual warning.
• Please do NOT copy and paste articles from other websites. Link and short description is ok, but please do not copy and paste pages of info. Violator will be issued a verbal warning.
• Do NOT post any torrents and/or links to pirated copies of software here. Violator will be issued a verbal warning.
• Discussions about illegal materials such as ROMs, WAREZ and methods of copying copyrighted materials are not encouraged in this subforum.

» FORUM MODERATOR : FORUM MODERATOR

Views: 4,140  ·  Replies: 14 
> Imageshack Policy Changes, End of an Era
Nomake Wan
  Posted: Feb 9 2012, 03:55 AM

ShiMACHaze

Group: Advanced Members
Member No.: 5,394

So the other day I log into my Imageshack gallery (which I've had since June of 2005) and I get this wonderful message in red on the top.

user posted image

Now, the whole reason I chose Imageshack way back when was because it was the least inobtrusive service around that guaranteed my images would be around forever. Photobucket had stupid bandwidth limits and other silly restrictions where Imageshack didn't. You could upload anything you wanted and it'd stay there however long you wanted it to. It wasn't 100% reliable (one in every hundred or so images would mysteriously go missing) but it was the best.

A year or so ago, Imageshack changed their server settings so that only 'premium' members could upload animated GIF files. It was a little annoying, but I got around it by simply using Tinypic for the few animated GIFs I needed to upload. The majority of images I keep online are stills, so it didn't bother me too much.

Some time around that, they tried to force everyone to use a bulky, awkward gallery interface rather than the old, simple one. At first they gave you an option between the two, then suddenly the option vanished. Fortunately the old URL still functioned, so I created a bookmark to access the old interface. It was very buggy now that it wasn't being supported, but it sure beat the hell out of the new setup.

In this past year, they made changes so that only registered users could use direct links, and only registered domains could display direct linked images or thumbnails. This was also annoying, but most of the sites I was on were registered and I was a registered user. There was also a rather simple way to get around the registration by using a function built into any browser to drag the image into the address bar, thereby revealing its direct link. Voila.

Imageshack released an iPhone app to allow you to upload images from your phone. This was great! Except that it didn't upload images. It also crashed constantly trying to access my gallery. It wasn't until they re-made the application from scratch and re-released it (under a different name, thereby breaking the auto-update function built into iPhones) that the application actually did what it advertised. This was annoying, but at least it finally worked.

Finally, it's come to this. I've been on there since 2005 with the promise of being supported and now it's all changed. 500 images? Every single image I've uploaded since 2005 save for the last 500 will be erased in less than a month? Well, forget you then, Imageshack. I'm going to do what I was trying so hard to avoid in the first place--migrate to Photobucket. You may notice that the image I posted above is on Photobucket. Everything I post from this point onward will be too. Sure, there's a shitty 1MB-per-image limit but as long as you keep the filesize under 1MB it won't mess with the image. Sure, the interface is a little bulky and awkward compared to Imageshack. Sure, there's a 10GB monthly bandwidth limit. But hey, at least they aren't gonna erase my images at the drop of a hat!

On top of that, while Imageshack warned people that those with more than 500 images would get their galleries erased, they gave us no way to download those images. I had to use a Firefox plugin called ImageBot to get direct links for all the images in my gallery (buggy; while it got the links it did so in some weird pseudo-chronological order) then used an application called Bulk Image Downloader to import the text document with teh links and grab them en masse. From that I found out that 388 images in my gallery were broken. For fun, that equates to a loss percentage of 5%. Not bad.

With my gallery now backed up to my hard drive (a whopping 1.6GB of images), I'll be deleting my account with Imageshack. It'll break all the forums I'm on and have been on. It'll break chat logs. It'll break anything I've interacted with since 2005. However, it's time to change. Goodbye, Imageshack. It's been real.

This post has been edited by Nomake Wan on Feb 9 2012, 03:59 AM
Proud Contributor of IDW Forums and the Music Section Revival Project
Perry
Posted: Feb 9 2012, 10:09 AM

Like an eagle!
Group Icon

Group: SITE OWNER
Member No.: 1

Good ridden I suppose. I liked imageshack also because the ease of use. I've never register though, so I think they are going to delete all of my images. sad.gif
Proud Contributor of the Music Section Revival Project
HorizontalMitsubishi
Posted: Feb 9 2012, 10:43 AM

Part of the Tessou Signature Series

Member No.: 2,022

I never liked imageshack from day 1, I didn't like the interface, I disliked the virus infected ads or how thier servers get hacked from time to time. Also every picture I've uploaded to photobucket is still there and still working. Which equates to a %0 loss of my data.
Phantom_R32
Posted: Feb 9 2012, 01:20 PM

Trust me, I'm a doctor.

Member No.: 1,277

I used to always use imageshack. But the past few years I've been using Tinypic. I never made an account on either. I just prefer Tinypic.

This post has been edited by Phantom_R32 on Feb 9 2012, 01:20 PM
khat17
Posted: Mar 3 2012, 10:43 AM

IDW SIMPLETON

Member No.: 17,668

That's kinda sad. I guess it would be Photobucket now that ImageShack is like that. Granted I use both.........and PB allows animated GIFs. Well if anyone finds a good free service that would be nice to know about.

Thing I dislike about PB though is that the links to the images show your account name. I liked that about IS where the URL would be ambiguous. Unless this has changed and I don't know about it. Also I like IS' image uploader.

Since I don't have a major issue like N1 then I'll still use both for now unless I hit a cap.

This post has been edited by khat17 on Mar 3 2012, 10:48 AM
Nomake Wan
  Posted: Mar 3 2012, 07:55 PM

ShiMACHaze

I've officially changed my service over to Photobucket completely now, and all of my imageshack images were deleted. It means I'll need to go back and re-create a few galleries but for the most part the transition was smooth. I agree about the account name in the URL thing, but to bypass that if need be I can always abuse Imageshack or Tinypic without an account. awesome.gif

The odd thing is that Photobucket worked great for a day or so, then suddenly their uploader stopped working right. It still uploads just fine but the progress bar only gets as far as 98%-99%. This means I have to open the image in a new tab to get its link. Not a big problem if it's only an image or two, but if I bulk upload a bunch of images there's no way to just say 'select all' then 'generate links'. I'm still looking into the problem. Any Photobucket users around here know what's going on?
Saint
Posted: Mar 3 2012, 08:11 PM

The 6th Blameless Shift

Member No.: 2,067

Oh I get that sometimes. But it's usually due to my ISP being shit. Lol.

I tried Imageshack and I didn't like it at all. I remember it was too much fuss at the time. Maybe cos I'm not in the States or something like that.

Been using Photobucket for many years. No problem.
HashiriyaR32
Posted: Mar 3 2012, 10:26 PM

Unlimited Request Works

Member No.: 18,031

QUOTE (Nomake Wan @ 2 hours, 30 minutes ago)
I've officially changed my service over to Photobucket completely now, and all of my imageshack images were deleted. It means I'll need to go back and re-create a few galleries but for the most part the transition was smooth. I agree about the account name in the URL thing, but to bypass that if need be I can always abuse Imageshack or Tinypic without an account. awesome.gif

The odd thing is that Photobucket worked great for a day or so, then suddenly their uploader stopped working right. It still uploads just fine but the progress bar only gets as far as 98%-99%. This means I have to open the image in a new tab to get its link. Not a big problem if it's only an image or two, but if I bulk upload a bunch of images there's no way to just say 'select all' then 'generate links'. I'm still looking into the problem. Any Photobucket users around here know what's going on?

I've been using imgur for months now because some update that imageshack had back then made the galleries unviewable. It would simply get stuck while trying to open an image.
khat17
Posted: Mar 4 2012, 05:38 AM

IDW SIMPLETON

Member No.: 17,668

http://online-image-hosting-review.toptenreviews.com/

Found that while snooping around. Can check it out and see how you like.

Also while going through I found these tools

http://www.zenfolio.com/zf/tools/migration.aspx

http://www.uploadjunction.com/

http://www.callingshotgun.net/about/migratr/

which you could just run through to see the different services they support and check them out individually.

Here's something from the last link.

Migratr is a desktop application which moves photos between popular photo sharing services. Migratr will also migrate your metadata, including the titles, tags, descriptions and album organization.  Whether you want to copy your photos from Flickr to Faces, Picasa to Phanfare, or Zenfolio to Zooomr, Migratr is the app for you.  Migratr will copy your photos FROM any supported photo service, TO any supported photo service.

Currently, Migratr supports the following services:

23HQ
Aol Pictures (Import Only) (CLOSING)
Faces.com
Flickr
Menalto Gallery (Self-Hosted)
Picasa Web
Phanfare
Photobucket
SmugMug
Zenfolio
Zooomr

And then there's this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_photo_sharing_websites

This post has been edited by khat17 on Mar 4 2012, 05:55 AM
Nomake Wan
  Posted: Mar 4 2012, 11:56 AM

ShiMACHaze

I did try Migratr but it does not support Imageshack. In fact, none of the programs on the Zenfolio page support Imageshack for migration. I looked pretty hard on Google for a nice automated program that worked properly but the closest I could find was the combination of two in my first post. It wasn't perfect but it worked. That's all I can really ask in the end, though, is that it grab as many images as my account still had online. It did that.
Perry
Posted: Mar 4 2012, 12:23 PM

Like an eagle!
Group Icon

Group: SITE OWNER
Member No.: 1

I am actually glad that more people will be using other image hosts besides imageshack because it is one of the very few hosts out there that don't allow remote headers scrapping. That means the neat auto image resize utility that we have on this forum doesn't work when someone uses images from imageshack that are bigger than the allowed dimension. For the longest time, there was no way around it but to download the whole image and then determine the width and height and see if it exceeded the dimension. That posed a security threat to the forums as someone could have easily linked a very large image (several MBs) multiple times on the forums. That would have the same effect of a small DoS attack, jamming up the uplink.

Let's just say I am not missing it.
Lebon14
Posted: Mar 4 2012, 06:26 PM

🎧

Member No.: 18,005

Photobucket "kinda" improved recently. I discovered that they removed the storage space limit for free users. The downside is the 10GB bandwith limit per month. For the average Joe, it's more than enough unless you upload a 2MB file then put it on a place where's millions of views a day. Then, I cannot guarantee you'll finish the month. Hehe.

So that's why I let my Photobucket Pro account expire as I felt, although I like the service, it's not worth it. I hardly upload any picture anymore and if I upload, it never really reaches the 5MB/picture limitation. And, I use Youtube for videos... so yeah.

The only thing worth upgrading to Pro is that you've got FTP access. If you find a use for it, that is.
Spaz
Posted: Mar 4 2012, 07:06 PM

Just a guy towing a car across the country to chase a dream.
Group Icon

Group: FORUM MODERATOR
Member No.: 30,193

I'm a Flickr Pro user, and that's where all of my major photography goes, and Photobucket gets my random dumps/avatar duty. Never had bandwidth problems.
Proud Contributor of Initial D World Forums
HashiriyaR32
Posted: Mar 12 2012, 06:55 AM

Unlimited Request Works

Member No.: 18,031

Is there another plugin I could use to quickly grab the links to all of my images? Imagebot doesn't work in the latest Firefox versions.
kyonpalm
Posted: Mar 12 2012, 10:19 AM

Professional Amateur
Group Icon

Group: ADMINISTRATOR
Member No.: 30,882

QUOTE (Perry @ Mar 4 2012, 03:23 PM)
I am actually glad that more people will be using other image hosts besides imageshack because it is one of the very few hosts out there that don't allow remote headers scrapping. That means the neat auto image resize utility that we have on this forum doesn't work when someone uses images from imageshack that are bigger than the allowed dimension. For the longest time, there was no way around it but to download the whole image and then determine the width and height and see if it exceeded the dimension. That posed a security threat to the forums as someone could have easily linked a very large image (several MBs) multiple times on the forums. That would have the same effect of a small DoS attack, jamming up the uplink.

Let's just say I am not missing it.

I agree. I find the inability for Imageshack images to auto-resize on here annoying. Do images on min.us resize?