Initial D World - Discussion Board / Forums

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )Resend Validation Email

DJ Panel ( Server Stats )   Song History   Initial D World Chat Room (Discord)   Broadband Stream
RADIO BROADCAST » streaming at 96kbps with 3 unique listeners, playing Dr. Love - Doctor Love

Important Rules
• Please do NOT post knowingly false information. Violators will be issued an actual warning.
• Please do NOT copy and paste articles from other websites. Link and short description is ok, but please do not copy and paste pages of info. Violator will be issued a verbal warning.
• Do NOT post any torrents and/or links to pirated copies of software here. Violator will be issued a verbal warning.
• Discussions about illegal materials such as ROMs, WAREZ and methods of copying copyrighted materials are not encouraged in this subforum.

» FORUM MODERATOR : FORUM MODERATOR

29 Pages  1 2 3 4 » ( Go to first unread post )

Views: 41,069  ·  Replies: 714 
> The Apple Thread, Formerly, the MacBook Pro thread
xkhol
Posted: Mar 12 2006, 09:53 PM

>_>

Group: Advanced Members
Member No.: 1,958

I'm going to the Apple store this weekend to check it out. ^__^
BOZZ
Posted: Mar 14 2006, 10:10 AM

IDW Posts A Freaking LOT Member

Member No.: 1,414

QUOTE (xxxkHOLiC @ Yesterday at 12:47 AM)
oh alright. I guess I'll wait for CS3 before buying it...

Btw, did you buy your Photoshop? Would you happen to know where I can "acquire" Photoshop for a Mac? (anything 7 or above is fine)...I will buy it eventually...but when the newest one comes out

Might want to be careful, if you get via other sources it could crap out on you and become Adobe Sea Monkey... tongue.gif
zerocool_designs
  Posted: Mar 14 2006, 11:54 AM

O-H-I-O

Member No.: 5,746

QUOTE (xxxkHOLiC @ Yesterday at 12:47 AM)
Btw, did you buy your Photoshop?

lol. The day I use photoshop for professional or commercial purposes, is the day I'll get a legal copy. But as long as I'm using it for recreation and education, Adobe can shove that $600 price-tag up thier ass. Actually I did buy Photoshop 7 for PC like 3 years ago, not sure where that is.
Would you happen to know where I can "acquire" Photoshop for a Mac?

PM sent

QUOTE (Bozzy)
I didn't know Apple offered a small education discount on their laptops though

$200 on the Macbook, $100 on the PowerBook, and $50 on the iBook IIRC.

QUOTE (Bozzy)
it could crap out on you and become Adobe Sea Monkey...
BOZZ
Posted: Mar 14 2006, 02:54 PM

So how do you access the discount thing? Is it US-only?
zerocool_designs
  Posted: Mar 14 2006, 03:06 PM

O-H-I-O

QUOTE (BOZZY @ Today at 5:54 PM)
So how do you access the discount thing?  Is it US-only?

I'm not sure if it's a US-thing or not, but here's the link;

http://www.apple.com/education/hed/students/discounts.html
xkhol
Posted: Mar 14 2006, 06:58 PM

>_>

MacBook is $200 and and it applies to all the upgrades you get with it too happy.gif and FYI, the Apple stores do apply the discount in-store ^__^

This post has been edited by xxxkHOLiC on Mar 15 2006, 09:20 AM
BOZZ
Posted: Mar 15 2006, 01:32 PM

QUOTE (zerocool_designs @ Yesterday at 6:06 PM)
I'm not sure if it's a US-thing or not, but here's the link;

http://www.apple.com/education/hed/students/discounts.html

Well it seems they offer it in Canada as well, but no option for the Macbook yet though...
xkhol
Posted: Apr 19 2006, 06:40 PM

>_>

Does the Apple online store charge sales tax to CA?
Also, what's a good mouse with right click for a Mac? (not the mini ones, those are lame, too damn small >_<)

This post has been edited by xxxkHOLiC on Apr 19 2006, 06:48 PM
BOZZ
Posted: Apr 19 2006, 08:56 PM

Akira, our Artwork mod, was telling the other day the new Intel Macs (both lappies and desktop) have some DRM software built-in to the chip to regulate downloading (and apparently prevent some downloading) and doesn't allow for install certain software, any truth to that?
xkhol
Posted: Apr 22 2006, 08:06 PM

>_>

QUOTE (BOZZY @ Apr 19 2006, 09:51 PM)
Akira, our Artwork mod, was telling the other day the new Intel Macs (both lappies and desktop) have some DRM software built-in to the chip to regulate downloading (and apparently prevent some downloading) and doesn't allow for install certain software, any truth to that?

It's true ;_;
http://www.boingboing.net/2005/07/31/apple...dd_trusted.html
http://www.masternewmedia.org/news/2006/04...he_evil_drm.htm

Also, do Macs come with word processors, or am I going to have to buy one? sad.gif

This post has been edited by xxxkHOLiC on Apr 22 2006, 08:17 PM
BOZZ
Posted: Apr 22 2006, 08:22 PM

It is true? Damn I hoping it wasn't... Oh well when I get mine I plan to triple boot it (Windows XP Home, Ubuntu/SUSE Linux, and Mac OS X).
vincentrichter
Posted: Apr 23 2006, 06:21 PM

When's Eronight?

Member No.: 4,815

Actually, the fact that they're including TPM doesn't say anything about their intentions. Even the 360 has been hacked, and it doesn't invalidate discs after X days or anything like that. I'd be seriously surprised if they did anything with it other than utilising the encryption functions - but then, as in the case of iTunes, there's a first time for everything. As for me, there's a reason I've been sticking with Gentoo for so long - not only can I verify what my vendors are doing with my equipment, but I can rein in any platform modules that decide to get uppity at any point in time. Microsoft first made overtures in this direction in 2002, Apple around 2004, and I've been running Linux pretty much exclusively since then. Thank gawd for Torvalds, Stallman, and the good people that created inspiration with System V.
Proud Contributor of Initial D World Forums
ExiL3
Posted: Apr 23 2006, 06:55 PM

vi0lati0n nati0n

Member No.: 2,477

that laptop is f**king godly.........all that and its one inch thick blink.gif blink.gif, how....ive always wanted a mac laptop, but this.....if i ever buy a laptop im not even gonna botehr looking at anything other then mac

This post has been edited by ExiL3 on Apr 23 2006, 06:56 PM
xkhol
Posted: Apr 23 2006, 07:09 PM

>_>

QUOTE (BOZZY @ Yesterday at 9:17 PM)
It is true? Damn I hoping it wasn't... Oh well when I get mine I plan to triple boot it (Windows XP Home, Ubuntu/SUSE Linux, and Mac OS X).

I'll probably use Linux for any downloading...
Looks I'm going to have to buy the Adobe Creative Suite... sleep.gif
zerocool_designs
  Posted: Apr 23 2006, 10:05 PM

O-H-I-O

QUOTE (vincentrichter @ Yesterday at 9:16 PM)
the fact that they're including TPM doesn't say anything about their intentions. 

I agree. I believe that Apple only wants to use the TPM chip as an copy prevention system in order to block installation of OSX on non-Apple computers. There is yet to be any reported incidences of the presence of the chip being a problem, and these computers have been out for quite a while. I know a lot of people with Adobe CS 2 pirated on their new iMac's just fine wink2.gif ... but I suppose you should legally purchase software anyway (programming isn't easy)

Apple isn't the kind of company to play big brother.

QUOTE (xxxkHOLIC)
Also, what's a good mouse with right click for a Mac? (not the mini ones, those are lame, too damn small >_<)

Hells yeah. The The Mighty Mouse comes standard with mac desktops now, and kicks major ass IMO. And it's got an interesting hardware "easter egg." Whenever you lift it from the table, the laser projects the image of a rodent (mouse) on the table.

**EDIT** Apple released a 17" Macbook Pro today. It's got the 2.16 GHz duo . Can you say sexy? Also, rumors say that there will be a Macbook (non-pro) release within the next few months to replace the iBook; so those would probably run about $1000.

This post has been edited by zerocool_designs on Apr 24 2006, 08:13 AM
xkhol
Posted: Apr 24 2006, 09:03 AM

>_>

Oh man the 17'' is sexy, it'll cost me the exact same amount to get the 17'' with the same specs as the 15'' would have happy.gif
BOZZ
Posted: Apr 24 2006, 09:03 AM

QUOTE (zerocool_designs @ Today at 2:00 AM)
I agree. I believe that Apple only wants to use the TPM chip as an copy prevention system in order to block installation of OSX on non-Apple computers. There is yet to be any reported incidences of the presence of the chip being a problem, and these computers have been out for quite a while. I know a lot of people with Adobe CS 2 pirated on their new iMac's just fine wink2.gif ... but I suppose you should legally purchase software anyway (programming isn't easy)

QUOTE (xxxkHOLIC)

Hells yeah. The The Mighty Mouse comes standard with mac desktops now, and kicks major ass IMO. And it's got an interesting hardware "easter egg." Whenever you lift it from the table, the laser projects the image of a rodent (mouse) on the table.

**EDIT** Apple released a 17" Macbook Pro today. It's got the 2.16 GHz duo . Can you say sexy? Also, rumors say that there will be a Macbook (non-pro) release within the next few months to replace the iBook; so those would probably run about $1000.

Oh then that's fine, Akira freaked the heck out of me when he mentioned this TPM chip initially, still doesn't change my intention of having a triple booting Mac... ><
xkhol
Posted: Apr 24 2006, 09:07 AM

>_>

I'm gonna double boot OSX and Linux... >_>

anyone care to inform me as to what OSx86 is?
BOZZ
Posted: Apr 24 2006, 10:01 AM

It was a project to get Mac OS X running on a x86 processor (Pentium/AMD 64, etc). I believe it got redundant when Apple switched to x86 processors from Intel and I also think Apple got them shut down...
PhantomaZero
Posted: Apr 25 2006, 09:55 AM

I hate this map

Member No.: 2,007

I may be getting a MacBook this Summer for a class I'm taking. Looking forward to slapping XP on it if so.
Proud Contributor of Initial D World Forums
xkhol
Posted: Apr 30 2006, 03:39 PM

>_>

QUOTE (zerocool_designs @ Apr 23 2006, 11:00 PM)

QUOTE (xxxkHOLIC)

About the Mighty Mouse, I've heard the scroll ball stops working within days...so know of any better mice?
zerocool_designs
  Posted: Apr 30 2006, 04:45 PM

O-H-I-O

I've had my Mighty Mouse for a few months with no problems, but I understand if you'd rather have something else ($50 is pricey for a wired mouse anyway).

Every USB mouse is Mac compatible (that I've seen), but some won't have all they're features (third & fourth buttons, etc).

Microsoft and Kensington are really good about making OS X compatible mice... From my experience, Logitec isn't as great, although I do like their gear.
BOZZ
Posted: Apr 30 2006, 05:59 PM

QUOTE (zerocool_designs @ Today at 8:40 PM)
I've had my Mighty Mouse for a few months with no problems, but I understand if you'd rather have something else ($50 is pricey for a wired mouse anyway).

Every USB mouse is Mac compatible (that I've seen), but some won't have all they're features (third & fourth buttons, etc).

Microsoft and Kensington are really good about making OS X compatible mice... From my experience, Logitec isn't as great, although I do like their gear.

Dang, Logitech support isn't that good... ><

Just wondering with Mac-compatible hardware, is it plug and play like MS/Linux or do you honestly need to install drivers for such things as keyboards and mice?
zerocool_designs
  Posted: Apr 30 2006, 06:04 PM

O-H-I-O

For the most part, everything is plug-and-play. The only driver I've ever had to find and install was to get my Xbox 360 controller to work.
BOZZ
Posted: May 2 2006, 10:04 AM

Awesome, that's pretty cool, would have thought it would be a little different... ><

29 Pages  1 2 3 4 »