Initial D World - Discussion Board / Forums

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )Resend Validation Email

DJ Panel ( Server Stats )   Song History   Initial D World Chat Room (Discord)   Broadband Stream
RADIO BROADCAST » streaming at 96kbps with 10 unique listeners, playing (Fifth Stage Sound File) THE CONFRONTING

Important Rules
• Please do NOT post knowingly false information. Violators will be issued an actual warning.
• Please do NOT copy and paste articles from other websites. Link and short description is ok, but please do not copy and paste pages of info. Violator will be issued a verbal warning.
• Do NOT post any torrents and/or links to pirated copies of software here. Violator will be issued a verbal warning.
• Discussions about illegal materials such as ROMs, WAREZ and methods of copying copyrighted materials are not encouraged in this subforum.

» FORUM MODERATOR : FORUM MODERATOR

29 Pages  1 2 3 » ( Go to first unread post )

Views: 41,060  ·  Replies: 714 
> The Apple Thread, Formerly, the MacBook Pro thread
zerocool_designs
  Posted: Jan 10 2006, 04:47 PM

O-H-I-O

Group: Advanced Members
Member No.: 5,746

That's right, they're finally here, the Intel Macs. A new "MacBook" which is the replacement for the Powerbook (Apple is dropping the "Power" out of the line-up for obvious reasons), and a new iMac (visually un-changed).

user posted image
The new iMac shipped today. They sell for the same price as the G5's.
-20-inch widescreen LCD with 1680x1050 resolution
-2.0GHz Intel Core Duo processor with 2MB shared L2 cache
-512MB (single SO-DIMM) 667MHz DDR2 SDRAM (PC2-5300)
-250GB Serial ATA hard drive
-Slot-load 8x double-layer SuperDrive
-ATI Radeon X1600 graphics with 128MB GDDR3 memory
-Built-in AirPort Extreme and Bluetooth 2.0
-$1699.00

user posted image
The new MacBook Pro (which I'm excited about) ships in February.
-15.4-inch TFT display with 1440x900 resolution
-1.83GHz Intel Core Duo processor with 2MB shared L2 Cache
-667MHz frontside bus
-1GB (single SO-DIMM) 667MHz DDR2 SDRAM (PC2-5300)
-100GB 5400rpm Serial ATA hard drive
-Slot-load SuperDrive (DVD±RW/CD-RW)
-ATI Mobility Radeon X1600 with 256MB GDDR3 memory
-$2499.00
The MacBook Pro also now has a built in iSight (which defies physics as the notebook is only 1" thin), and the Apple media remote (same as the G5 iMac). And along with that it has a new "MagSafe" power cable, which is basically the same as any other power cable exept that it is held into the computer by magnets, providing easy break-away, and possably preventing damage to your notebook. (Think Xbox quick-release cables).

All-in-all, I want one. Bad. But there are some problems. Especially in the realm of software (like that's anything new for Apple right?). Well now that it's no longer PowerPC based, you can't natively run the same programs you could before. There is a decent emulation program (Rosetta IIRC), and Jobb's showed a new Intel iMac running Photoshop through said program, and it actually wasn't bad. All of Apple's software (iTunes, Aperture, iMovie, GarageBand and the likes) has already been ported to run on the Intel OS X, so there's no problem with those programs.

There is also the possability of Windows running natively on an Apple computer now. Survey digg.com for the next few weeks, I'm sure it will be done soon.

So... any bids on my G4 PowerBook? I think it's about time I trade in.... or maybe I should wait for the PowerMac's replacement cool.gif
BOZZ
Posted: Jan 10 2006, 05:43 PM

IDW Posts A Freaking LOT Member

Member No.: 1,414

Just wondering... is that beauty (the Macbook Pro) 32 or 64-bit?
zerocool_designs
  Posted: Jan 10 2006, 06:13 PM

O-H-I-O

QUOTE (BOZZY @ Today at 8:43 PM)
Just wondering... is that beauty (the Macbook Pro) 32 or 64-bit?

The Intel Core Duo is a six-four. cool.gif

although I've been told that a 64-bit is overkill in a notebook.

This post has been edited by zerocool_designs on Jan 10 2006, 06:16 PM
psychoazn
Posted: Jan 10 2006, 09:54 PM

IDW Special Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,617

well now jobs claim that the intel based macbooks are 4-5x faster than the powerbook g4 which is 4-5x faster than the comparable intel based windows machines.

so that would make the macbooks 16-25x faster than.... windows machines with the same hardware, right? wink2.gif :angel:
zerocool_designs
  Posted: Jan 10 2006, 10:06 PM

O-H-I-O

Well if you were to ask Steve J. He'd tell you it'll be 1 billion times faster, look sheeker, and if you wear a black turtle neck and some jeans it doubles the ram.

But regardless, I plan a visit to my local Apple store the day the "MacBook" (why is that hard for my to say?) is released.
BOZZ
Posted: Jan 11 2006, 07:58 AM

Well I was thinking of saving up to get a dual-core Intel Dell laptop... My mind is totally switched now... Apple delivered big on their new laptops... smile.gif
zerocool_designs
  Posted: Jan 11 2006, 04:27 PM

O-H-I-O

QUOTE (BOZZY @ Today at 10:58 AM)
Well I was thinking of saving up to get a dual-core Intel Dell laptop... My mind is totally switched now... Apple delivered big on their new laptops... smile.gif

Well, now that I've had time to look more into the MacBook, I'm gonna wait for the PowerMac replacement.

The thing doesn't have s-video out (mine does), no dual-layer DVD writing (mine had the option), and the firewire-port is slower than the one of my G4. (although that's kind of a dieing technology sad.gif ). I like the PowerMac and all, but I don't think it's great enough to be a replacement for my Powerbook, I'll just grab some more ram and save for that PowerMac replacement.... or another Honda whistling.gif
BOZZ
Posted: Jan 11 2006, 06:24 PM

Isn't this sucker the Powerbook replacement? Btw... Where did you hear that the slot drive is not dual layer?
zerocool_designs
  Posted: Jan 11 2006, 10:30 PM

O-H-I-O

I mixed "Powermac" and "Macbook" in one of my sentaces there. But yeah, the MacBook (for some reason it doesn't roll off the tongue), is the Powerbook's replacement... it just won't replace my Powerbook.

But Apple's web-site shows the complete specs of the system.
QUOTE (Apple.com)
-
Slot-loading SuperDrive (DVD±RW/CD-RW)
Maximum Write: 4x DVD-R, DVD+R, DVD+RW, and DVD-RW; 24x CD-R; 10x CD-RW

Maximum Read: 8x DVD-ROM (single layer); 6x DVD (double layered), DVD-9, DVD-R, DVD+R, DVD-RW, DVD+RW; 24x CD

No dual layer, only 4x = sad.gif .
BOZZ
Posted: Jan 11 2006, 10:57 PM

That does indeed such... But considering that Blu-Ray is on the horizon... I am sure you can always just get an external BR DVD burner... when they come out...

This post has been edited by BOZZY on Jan 11 2006, 10:57 PM
zerocool_designs
  Posted: Jan 12 2006, 08:50 AM

O-H-I-O

QUOTE (BOZZY @ Today at 1:57 AM)
That does indeed such... But considering that Blu-Ray is on the horizon... I am sure you can always just get an external BR DVD burner... when they come out...

Yeah we'll have to wait and see about that new media. But considering how long it took DVD-R to become a massly used media (a few years after its release), we still got a long time until the writers on the market will be fast and affordable (especially and external drive for a mac :/ ).

On a side note, I guess Microsoft does have confidence in HD-DVD over Blu-Ray, as Gates recently said that the 360 will have an external HD-DVD-reader as an optional accessory in the future.
sleepyhead
Posted: Jan 14 2006, 10:39 PM

IDW Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,366

Core Duo is 32-bit currently, 64 is forthcoming Q4/2006, or so I read. Had a chat w/ Apple rep, who was explaining lack of FW800 and Svid out: the Powerbook team, whenever they went out for market research, always asked the PB users what ports they used, and the Svid/FW800 were at the bottom of the list, so off they went. Powermac users, on the other hand, use 800 quite a bit. Thinner design = no space for dual layer burner just yet.
zerocool_designs
  Posted: Jan 15 2006, 12:41 AM

O-H-I-O

Thanks for the update. My mystake on the 32-bit.

I personally use my SV all the time (multiple times per week). But I only use my firewire for the iPod (and that's just because the USB cable is hanging out of the 360 most of the time)
BOZZ
Posted: Feb 21 2006, 08:36 AM

Well the macbooks are shipping this week... Damn I want one so bad... I need to get a job on campus or something.... ><
xkhol
Posted: Feb 21 2006, 08:59 AM

>_>

Member No.: 1,958

I'll probably be getting one of these for when I go off to college in a few months. biggrin.gif

Is the upgrade from 2.0GHz to 2.16GHz worth $300? No, right? >_>
zerocool_designs
  Posted: Feb 21 2006, 09:11 AM

O-H-I-O

QUOTE (xxxkHOLiC @ Today at 11:59 AM)
Is the upgrade from 2.0GHz to 2.16GHz worth $300? No, right? >_>

In my opinion, no. I'd sooner put that money toward a really nice carry-case, A 30g iPod, AppleCare plan, or doubling the RAM.

*Holy Penis! I never noticed the thing had a 256mb Video Card... Blows my PowerBook's 64mb out of the water.
xkhol
Posted: Feb 21 2006, 09:13 AM

>_>

I'm going to get the 2GB RAM, but is it worth it to upgrade the hdd for $100? (7200 RPM 100GB)

This post has been edited by xxxkHOLiC on Feb 21 2006, 09:15 AM
zerocool_designs
  Posted: Feb 21 2006, 02:32 PM

O-H-I-O

IDK, faster is fast I suppose, it's your $100. I doubt you'll be able to tell a diference.
Anyway, I went in and played with one of these today at my local Apple Store. The trackpad is bigger, and still has a single button under it, which makes that single button mockingly long. It's like it's saying "There's so much room here, we couldn've easily fit a right-click in, but we're Apple and we don't need to." As for speed, there's really no way for me to judge that. The system is less than a week old, and has a gig of RAM, so of course it'll be fast. My normal method for testing overall speed of a computer is to fire-up Photoshop and apply some heavy filters. But since any Adobe programs would have to be run through Rosetta (which would make the computer seem slow), Apple only had thier own software installed. dry.gif

And I still can't get over the absence of S-video
BOZZ
Posted: Feb 21 2006, 04:30 PM

Only reason I'd go with the higher end model is the video card...
xkhol
Posted: Mar 12 2006, 08:51 PM

>_>

I'm getting a MacBook for college, and I was wondering if it would be a good idea to get it next weekend or wait for the next version or modification or whatever (like the constant barrage of new iPods)?

Also, if I were to go to the Apple store, would they have one with the specifications I want it?
upgrade the RAM to 2GB, 2.0Ghz
zerocool_designs
  Posted: Mar 12 2006, 09:04 PM

O-H-I-O

QUOTE (xxxkHOLiC @ Yesterday at 11:51 PM)
I'm getting a MacBook for college, and I was wondering if it would be a good idea to get it next weekend or wait for the next version or modification or whatever (like the constant barrage of new iPods)?

If I were you, I'd hold out as long as you can. As Apple like to make frequent subtle upgrades, without raising the price any. For example. For what I payed for my 1.75-year-old Powerbook (15", 1.33ghz PowerPC, 512 RAM, Combo Drive), I could almost get a MacBook, or I could get a MORE powerfull iBook, for cheaper.

Also, if I were to go to the Apple store, would they have one with the specifications I want it?
upgrade the RAM to 2GB, 2.0Ghz

I'm not sure about that one. I'm sure they keep a healthy stock, and I'm sure if they don't have one configured (that's a lot of RAM) they could whip one up for you.
But, I advise that you buy it online. Since you're gonna be in school, there's a small education discount, and shipping is free on major orders. I'm not sure if they give the education discount in-store... oh, and you won't be pressured into buying a 60g iPod... I've been close (FYI, I just ordered a 30g last week)... I try so hard to not max-out my credit cards whenever I go into that store. Damned Steve Jobs look-a-likes.
xkhol
Posted: Mar 12 2006, 09:09 PM

>_>

But I'd be getting this during the summer, and that doesn't seem like long enough for apple to make significant changes. I have a media player already, so I don't have to worry about that... I don't see why they wouldn't give the student discount in store..

I've also heard that Adobe programs don't work on MBP's yet...

This post has been edited by xxxkHOLiC on Mar 12 2006, 09:12 PM
zerocool_designs
  Posted: Mar 12 2006, 09:39 PM

O-H-I-O

QUOTE (xxxkHOLiC @ Today at 12:09 AM)
I've also heard that Adobe programs don't work on MBP's yet...

They work, they're just emulated through "Rosetta." I've talked to a few Macbook owners, and they say that with the Intel processors, and a gig of RAM, CS2 runs just as well, if not better, even while emulated.

And there were rumors on Digg.com that said that CS3 will be out before the end of 2006, and in "Universal" format... So really, I guess there's little to worry about there.
xkhol
Posted: Mar 12 2006, 09:47 PM

>_>

QUOTE (zerocool_designs @ Today at 9:39 PM)
They work, they're just emulated through "Rosetta." I've talked to a few Macbook owners, and they say that with the Intel processors, and a gig of RAM, CS2 runs just as well, if not better, even while emulated.

And there were rumors on Digg.com that said that CS3 will be out before the end of 2006, and in "Universal" format... So really, I guess there's little to worry about there.

oh alright. I guess I'll wait for CS3 before buying it...

Btw, did you buy your Photoshop? Would you happen to know where I can "acquire" Photoshop for a Mac? (anything 7 or above is fine)...I will buy it eventually...but when the newest one comes out
BOZZ
Posted: Mar 12 2006, 09:52 PM

Heh, I'm also thinking of getting one once my semester is over, I didn't know Apple offered a small education discount on their laptops though...

29 Pages  1 2 3 »