Initial D World - Discussion Board / Forums

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )Resend Validation Email

DJ Panel ( Server Stats )   Song History   Initial D World Chat Room (Discord)   Broadband Stream
RADIO BROADCAST » streaming at 96kbps with 5 unique listeners, playing (MF Ghost OST) Jay Lehr - Hi Love

Important Rules
• Please do NOT post knowingly false information. Violators will be issued an actual warning.
• Please do NOT copy and paste articles from other websites. Link and short description is ok, but please do not copy and paste pages of info. Violator will be issued a verbal warning.
• Do NOT post any torrents and/or links to pirated copies of software here. Violator will be issued a verbal warning.
• Discussions about illegal materials such as ROMs, WAREZ and methods of copying copyrighted materials are not encouraged in this subforum.

» FORUM MODERATOR : FORUM MODERATOR

Views: 1,647  ·  Replies: 9 
> Problems with Portable Hard Disk
PeterTWJ
  Posted: Feb 16 2009, 04:45 AM

IDW Expert Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 28,441

I have a 160GB Maxtor Basic Portable Hard Disk.

Sometimes when i access to some folders in my portable hard disk, the Windows Explorer for my portable hard disk will not be responding for seconds.

Everytime I use my portable hard disk. Event Viewer report that 'An error was detected on device \Device\Harddisk2\D during a paging operation.' and
'The system failed to flush data to the transaction log. Corruption may occur.'

This post has been edited by PeterTWJ on Feb 16 2009, 04:46 AM

Attached Image (Click thumbnail to expand)
Attached Image
khat17
Posted: Feb 16 2009, 06:15 AM

IDW SIMPLETON

Group: Advanced Members
Member No.: 17,668

Plug in your drive.

Go to the COMMAND PROMPT (START/RUN - then type CMD and press ENTER or hit OK).

When at the command prompt, type CHKDSK X: /R where X is the letter of your external drive.

Leave it for a while and come back.

At the end the checks would show if you have any problems on the drive. If there are no problems reported, then maybe the enclosure has an issue. Probably the power failing and causing the drive to intermittently go offline.

Post your results after the checks and we'll take it from there.

PeAcE.
PeterTWJ
  Posted: Feb 17 2009, 03:56 AM

IDW Expert Member

I have ran CHKDSK /R on my portable hard disk and the result is in the file attachment.

For more information, this portable hard disk get its power from usb. It has two usb to connect. One is Power+Data, another one is just Power.

This post has been edited by PeterTWJ on Feb 17 2009, 03:58 AM

Attached Image (Click thumbnail to expand)
Attached Image
khat17
Posted: Feb 17 2009, 05:50 AM

IDW SIMPLETON

The drive is reporting no bad sectors from the results. Next steps would be
  1. Replace USB cable
  2. Check power connection to enclosure
  3. Test enclosure on another PC
This would help us find where the issue is. If it's the enclosure or the cables (power or usb) it will fail when used elsewhere. If it's not the device or cables, it may be your machine/USB ports, or something in Windows that's causing the data connection to drop.

Not familiar with the type of portable device you have - whether it gets power from AC or from the USB. Also, bear in mind that if the device is the latter - get's power from USB - and you plug in any other USB device, depending on the PC, it may disrupt all USB connected devices temporarily while it adds the new device.

Check and post your results.

PeAcE.
PeterTWJ
  Posted: Feb 20 2009, 09:07 PM

IDW Expert Member

I tried
1. Replace USB Cable
2. Check power connection to enclosure
3. Test enclosure on another PC (on 3 different PC)

The result is the same as my first post on this topic.

Tested on 3 different PCs.
Compaq Presario V3000 Laptop running Windows XP Media Center Edition.

D.I.Y Intel Core 2 Duo Desktop and Acer Aspire T100 running Windows XP Home Edition.

Is it the problem with the portable hard drive itself? I don't think the hard drive has worn out, it is not running 24x7 and i have bought and use this hard drive for just 2 months. ermm2.gif
Lebon14
Posted: Feb 20 2009, 09:16 PM

🎧

Member No.: 18,005

QUOTE (PeterTWJ @ 9 minutes ago)
Is it the problem with the portable hard drive itself? I don't think the hard drive has worn out, it is not running 24x7 and i have bought and use this hard drive for just 2 months. ermm2.gif

No, it is. It's faulty. When my friend bought his new PC back in last October, the hard drive failed 2 weeks after. So, 2 months is quite OK for a drive to be faulty. However, you are just unlucky coz most drives can run for YEARS before dying.
Proud Contributor of IDW Forums and the Music Section Revival Project
khat17
Posted: Feb 21 2009, 04:46 AM

IDW SIMPLETON

My last suggestion would be to remove the drive from the enclosure and place in another enclosure, or to hook it up straight.

If it's a SATA drive or even laptop SATA then you can hook it up straight, or if it's an IDE. If it's a laptop IDE then you need another enclosure.

If you do that and the problem still persists with the drive occasionally going offline then you know it's the drive. If the problem stops then you know the enclosure is the issue. I'm leaning on the side of the enclosure being the problem though.

Post your results when you can.

PeAcE.
Perry
Posted: Feb 21 2009, 04:55 AM

Like an eagle!
Group Icon

Group: SITE OWNER
Member No.: 1

Perhaps try defragmentating the drive ? I recommend Diskeeper. smile.gif
Proud Contributor of the Music Section Revival Project
PeterTWJ
  Posted: Feb 21 2009, 05:24 AM

IDW Expert Member

My last suggestion would be to remove the drive from the enclosure and place in another enclosure, or to hook it up straight.

I tried to remove my portable hard disk and place in another enclosure, but the problem still occur.

Perhaps try defragmentating the drive ? I recommend Diskeeper. 

I have defrag my portable hard disk with PerfectDisk 10, but it doesn't solve the problem.

This post has been edited by PeterTWJ on Feb 21 2009, 05:25 AM
khat17
Posted: Feb 21 2009, 07:19 AM

IDW SIMPLETON

I'd say something is wrong with the drive controller then. If you have warranty, take it back and see if they will replace it. Either that or some firmware update may help. Search online for the model of the drive and check if any firmware updates are available or any suggestions.