Initial D World - Discussion Board / Forums

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )Resend Validation Email

DJ Panel ( Server Stats )   Song History   Initial D World Chat Room (Discord)   Broadband Stream
RADIO BROADCAST » streaming at 96kbps with 5 unique listeners, playing Fastway - Rockin' Hardcore

Automotive Section Rules
• Scenes depicted in Initial D are strictly fiction. Please follow the traffic rules and drive safely.
• When posting a classified thread, please label it with For Sale (FS), For Trade (FT) or Want To Buy (WTB) in the thread title.
• Use the Search function before you start a new topic. Posting a duplicated thread may earn yourself a verbal warning.
• Personal videos of illegal street racing are prohibited. Do NOT brag about your exploits. Posting a video depicting dangerous/reckless driving behavior on your part will result in an actual warning.

» FORUM MODERATOR : FORUM MODERATOR

2 Pages  1 2  ( Go to first unread post )

Views: 4,727  ·  Replies: 29 
> Toyota Killing Off Scion
Seri
  Posted: Feb 3 2016, 10:10 AM

Quirks and Features of IDW
Group Icon

Group: FORUM MODERATOR
Member No.: 40,610

http://www.motortrend.com/news/breaking-to...-brand-the-axe/

So I guess we can have the proper GT86 badging now.
Proud Contributor of Initial D World Forums
RalliKai
Posted: Feb 3 2016, 10:28 AM

IDW Goldmember

Group: Advanced Members
Member No.: 3,607

Do we get the Celica back in the process?
xiao
Posted: Feb 3 2016, 10:34 AM

moon bunny

Group: XIAO
Member No.: 13,323

dat Toyota 86 tho!

They should kill the prices of the Lexus cars while they're at it too~ XD

+1 Ralli's Celica idea... 4WD please! awesome.gif
Kiroshino
Posted: Feb 3 2016, 10:42 AM

IDW Goldmember
Group Icon

Member No.: 34,203

Scion’s death will see three of its cars move to the Toyota lineup. The FR-S, iM, and iA will continue under the Toyota brand while the tC will be discontinued after August 2016 and will have a final release edition to commemorate its end of production.

Didn't know this was actually a thing. Evo Final Edition. TC Final Edition.

Eh.
Tessou
Posted: Feb 3 2016, 10:59 AM

More NEGATIVE than a black hole
Group Icon

Group: ADMINISTRATOR
Member No.: 12,263

Best result is that the tC is getting shitcanned. The redesign killed any appeal that car ever had.

Worst result is that their pricing strategy will not be absorbed into Toyota. Goodbye, easy negotiation. Hello markups.
Proud Contributor of IDW Forums and the Music Section Revival Project
Shirogane
Posted: Feb 3 2016, 12:19 PM

SCREEEEEEECHING INTENSIFIES

Member No.: 17,722

QUOTE (Tessou @ 1 hour, 19 minutes ago)
Worst result is that their pricing strategy will not be absorbed into Toyota. Goodbye, easy negotiation. Hello markups.

... Welp. Can't imagine what a markup for a renamed FRS would be.
Tessou
Posted: Feb 3 2016, 01:52 PM

Group Icon

"Well, it has the Toyota badge on it, so now it's $2500 more expensive. Fuck you, we're Toyota."
Möbius
Posted: Feb 3 2016, 05:24 PM

IDW Top Poster

Member No.: 3,524

Finally?

Not suprised at all, TBH.
xiao
  Posted: Feb 4 2016, 07:48 AM

moon bunny

This...

YOUTUBE ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7t3X8KDMzKo )

...this is the next genration of marketing~!!

Super Toyotabeat, FSCK YEAHHH!! I'm buying an FR-S! ♫ cool.gif
Posted: Feb 4 2016, 08:43 AM

Hiretsuna rōjin

Member No.: 16,670

QUOTE (xiao @ 55 minutes, 31 seconds ago)
This...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7t3X8KDMzKo

i dont get it Xiao. why is Toyota advertising some anime or game promo vid now? have they decided to take on the anime industry now? if so what series will they support and animate, i sure as hell hope they dont horribly destroy a perfectly good anime/manga series. is that a new variation of the Kancolle video game series?

and just where does the Toyota car brand even make its way into the game promo video???? i cant see nothing car-related in that game promo video.

i am however now questioning myself why i never really gave too many Toyota cars a sufficient evaluation before settling on a car from Ford when i went to buy my current car.

its very weird right now my spidey-sense is tingling now but i cant figure out what that game promo video is hiding behind that catchy music.

This post has been edited by 207 on Feb 4 2016, 08:53 AM
Kiroshino
Posted: Feb 4 2016, 09:07 AM

IDW Goldmember
Group Icon

Member No.: 34,203

The Sixth Element
Posted: Feb 4 2016, 12:20 PM

matter intangible

Group: Members
Member No.: 44,779

Also from Toyota, the badge would still be FRS but its also gonna be more expensive than it was in Scion. Imo, its confusing what Toyota is doing at this point.
Tessou
Posted: Feb 4 2016, 12:23 PM

Group Icon

QUOTE (The Sixth Element @ 3 minutes, 12 seconds ago)
Also from Toyota, the badge would still be FRS but its also gonna be more expensive than it was in Scion. Imo, its confusing what Toyota is doing at this point.

It's more expensive because pure price is no longer a thing. Now that you can get a "true" Toyota GT86, you get to pay the premium. For a fucking badge.
Posted: Feb 4 2016, 02:00 PM

Hiretsuna rōjin

Member No.: 16,670

QUOTE (Kiroshino @ 4 hours, 52 minutes ago)
To be fair: http://jalopnik.com/yes-there-really-is-an...this-1753324672

very nice subaru itashi car. i wish i could do that to my car though i dont know which series and how far i'd go with it.
BOZZ
Posted: Feb 4 2016, 02:50 PM

IDW Posts A Freaking LOT Member

Member No.: 1,414

It's a shame that Toyota never did enough with Scion to actually live up it to its initial expectations of that brand.

Besides going with the name Toyota FR-S I wonder what changes are in store for the FR-S.
The Sixth Element
Posted: Feb 4 2016, 06:21 PM

matter intangible

QUOTE (BOZZ @ 3 hours, 30 minutes ago)
It's a shame that Toyota never did enough with Scion to actually live up it to its initial expectations of that brand.

Besides going with the name Toyota FR-S I wonder what changes are in store for the FR-S.

I wish Toyota would let STI or TRD to work on the car so its more "sporty" than the base model
xiao
Posted: Feb 4 2016, 07:36 PM

moon bunny

QUOTE (207)
very nice subaru itashi car. i wish i could do that to my car though i dont know which series and how far i'd go with it.

One of these days I'll get that Subie BRZed... (technical difficulties have impaired my ability to purchase the one I ordered this year) ...and when I do; I'll have like thirty license plates to fly like a fairy all the way to The Top~!!cool.gif

user posted image

QUOTE (The Sixth Element)

They're probably just gonna change the badge on the hood/trunk, but keep the FR-S name. All my fellow tweet-weebs living in Japan, drool over the FR-S pics I've shared with them; they basically think the name FR-S is some sort of weapons grade Plutonium code... if they only knew that Black Mesa's actually staffed by fat~arse anime -negative 65 IQ waps like xiao~ awesome.gif

QUOTE (The Sixth Element)
I wish Toyota would let STI or TRD to work on the car so its more "sporty" than the base model

Shove an LT1 in it... in the trunk like a Porsche proper!! user posted image
Spaz
Posted: Feb 5 2016, 01:11 PM

Just a guy towing a car across the country to chase a dream.
Group Icon

Member No.: 30,193

It needed to happen. It should have happened after the first gen. The cars were quirky enough to stand out then, but not anymore. They were still econoshitboxes, but they actually had appeal. The original xB was, dare I say, actually a cool car. It created its own class, yet it didn't set the bar high enough; the Juke and Soul easily are better options when comparing to a 2nd gen xB. They didn't stay true to what they were... They became too much Toyota, just like the downturn of Saturn when they became too much GM.

And the FRS was only sold as a Scion to keep the brand afloat. It would have been better badged (and optioned) as a Toyota, instead of the economy version that everyone skipped over for the better optioned Subaru. Seriously, not a single person I know who races a GT86/BRZ/FRS drives the Scion-badged variant.
Tessou
Posted: Feb 5 2016, 02:15 PM

Group Icon

QUOTE (Spaz @ 1 hour, 3 minutes ago)
The original xB was, dare I say, actually a cool car.

All of our work vans are 1st gen xBs. My van is actually a special edition with a number plaque above the glovebox, with color matched leather seats and stock foglights that don't suck ass. awesome.gif

The later generation... well, they looked like stretched Nissan Cubes.
Shirogane
Posted: Feb 6 2016, 01:03 AM

SCREEEEEEECHING INTENSIFIES

Member No.: 17,722

QUOTE (Spaz @ Yesterday, 2:11 PM)
They became too much Toyota, just like the downturn of Saturn when they became too much GM.

That's the problem I see with Toyota; attempting to enter the supposed "Generation Y" market with "hip, practical, sporty, and trendy" offerings. Remember the Project Genesis (Last-Gen Celica, MR2 Spyder and Echo)?

QUOTE (Tessou @ Yesterday, 3:15 PM)
All of our work vans are 1st gen xBs. My van is actually a special edition with a number plaque above the glovebox, with color matched leather seats and stock foglights that don't suck ass. awesome.gif

The later generation... well, they looked like stretched Nissan Cubes.

And the fact that the engine/transmission choices left a little to be desired. Would have been nice to use the running gear in the tC, though.
RalliKai
Posted: Feb 6 2016, 07:12 AM

IDW Goldmember

Member No.: 3,607

QUOTE (Shirogane @ 6 hours, 8 minutes ago)

That's the problem I see with Toyota; attempting to enter the supposed "Generation Y" market with "hip, practical, sporty, and trendy" offerings. Remember the Project Genesis (Last-Gen Celica, MR2 Spyder and Echo)?

The MR2 Spyder wasn't bad for what it was but I can understand the last-gen Celica. Toyota used Scion to target Millennials though from my understanding. Toyota shifted it's focus towards I would say a much wider market but those who weren't as interested in sporty cars.

It would make me very happy to see Toyota do an about-face and bring back their sports car brand.

This post has been edited by RalliKai on Feb 6 2016, 07:15 AM
THE_HONDA_CG2
Posted: Feb 6 2016, 11:39 AM

Patient Zero

Member No.: 37,947

QUOTE (xiao @ Feb 4 2016, 08:48 AM)
This...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7t3X8KDMzKo

I don't understand why Toyota is doing this. What kind of car needs 40 anime girl mascots?

Its outrageous. I've looked at all of them and they have one for the freaking door chime!

Scion has always been an interesting sub-brand. I'll never know why the tC was such a popular car. It always looked gross and ugly to me.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ]
The Sixth Element
Posted: Feb 6 2016, 01:05 PM

matter intangible

QUOTE (THE_HONDA_CG2 @ 1 hour, 26 minutes ago)
I don't understand why Toyota is doing this. What kind of car needs 40 anime girl mascots?

Its outrageous. I've looked at all of them and they have one for the freaking door chime!

Scion has always been an interesting sub-brand. I'll never know why the tC was such a popular car. It always looked gross and ugly to me.

boxy, 2 door, rice market abundant, american = Scion TC

That's just my opinion but thats what I feel about them. The second generation is at least better looking than the first.
Tessou
Posted: Feb 6 2016, 02:21 PM

Group Icon

QUOTE (The Sixth Element @ 1 hour, 15 minutes ago)
boxy, 2 door, rice market abundant, american = Scion TC

That's just my opinion but thats what I feel about them. The second generation is at least better looking than the first.

You think the angular box tC looks better than the smooth first generation model? I thought they made a mistake with the redesign.

I think the appeal of the tC was that it came during the fever pitch of Fast and the Furious, and you could have it customized to order, instead of spending money on parts and installation post purchase. It was an inexpensive sport coupe with a great warranty and support from one of the most reliable marques on the planet (at the time). What's not to love?
Seri
  Posted: Feb 6 2016, 02:29 PM

Quirks and Features of IDW
Group Icon

Member No.: 40,610

I learned just today that Scion would install a custom supercharger kit and put flames on a TC out of the dealer.

This post has been edited by Seri on Feb 6 2016, 02:29 PM

2 Pages  1 2