Initial D World - Discussion Board / Forums

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )Resend Validation Email

DJ Panel ( Server Stats )   Song History   Initial D World Chat Room (Discord)   Broadband Stream
RADIO BROADCAST » streaming at 96kbps with 7 unique listeners, playing Elisa - Lost into the Night

Important Rules
• Please do NOT post knowingly false information. Violators will be issued an actual warning.
• Please do NOT copy and paste articles from other websites. Link and short description is ok, but please do not copy and paste pages of info. Violator will be issued a verbal warning.
• Do NOT post any torrents and/or links to pirated copies of software here. Violator will be issued a verbal warning.
• Discussions about illegal materials such as ROMs, WAREZ and methods of copying copyrighted materials are not encouraged in this subforum.

» FORUM MODERATOR : FORUM MODERATOR

2 Pages  1 2  ( Go to first unread post )

Views: 10,077  ·  Replies: 34 
> So my SSHD (WD Black2) gave up the ghost
xiao
  Posted: Dec 8 2015, 05:40 AM

moon bunny

Group: XIAO
Member No.: 13,323

I'd no clue!? Good to know about it... Imma move all my *cough*legal-maybe?*cough* anime/music to a nice little Sammy SSD~ grin2.gif
Proud Contributor of Initial D World Forums
Shirogane
  Posted: Dec 9 2015, 11:07 AM

SCREEEEEEECHING INTENSIFIES

Group: Advanced Members
Member No.: 17,722

QUOTE (Nomake Wan @ Yesterday, 6:27 AM)
What's going on with your motherboard? If Recuva was able to get stuff back, then that means you messed up the MFT somehow. I had that happen a grand total of once, and it was when my USB3 expansion card shorted out and took my new 4TB with it. Fortunately all the data was still there, and TestDisk was able to simply recreate the MFT. I'm sure that you could've done the same thing (and it would've taken way less time than using Recuva since you're fixing the problem rather than manually moving files around).

You sure your SATA controller isn't fucking something up?

Not that I know of (though I should state they were MyPassport Ultras...)
Nomake Wan
Posted: Dec 9 2015, 11:13 AM

ShiMACHaze

Member No.: 5,394

Wait, these were external drives? Okay, then are you sure your USB controller isn't screwing up? See above--I had a cheap-ass USB3 expansion card that shorted out and caused one of my drives to forget its MFT. Thankfully MFTs are backed up and so restoring them isn't difficult. Replaced it with a not-soldered-by-monkeys card and not a problem since.
Proud Contributor of IDW Forums and the Music Section Revival Project
Shirogane
  Posted: Dec 9 2015, 11:17 AM

QUOTE (Nomake Wan @ 3 minutes, 27 seconds ago)
Wait, these were external drives? Okay, then are you sure your USB controller isn't screwing up? See above--I had a cheap-ass USB3 expansion card that shorted out and caused one of my drives to forget its MFT. Thankfully MFTs are backed up and so restoring them isn't difficult. Replaced it with a not-soldered-by-monkeys card and not a problem since.

I thought it was the controller for sure but it's basically the same thing on other computers in the household - even on my new Laptop. I'd might have to check, though.
Nomake Wan
Posted: Dec 9 2015, 11:37 AM

ShiMACHaze

So you're saying that you've had these drives break multiple times while plugged into other computers in the household? blink.gif
Shirogane
  Posted: Dec 9 2015, 11:55 AM

QUOTE (Nomake Wan @ 18 minutes, 6 seconds ago)
So you're saying that you've had these drives break multiple times while plugged into other computers in the household? blink.gif

Ah, no. I tried to see if the drives worked on the other computers after they stopped working on my main. I apologize.
Nomake Wan
Posted: Dec 9 2015, 02:40 PM

ShiMACHaze

QUOTE (Shirogane @ 2 hours, 44 minutes ago)
Ah, no. I tried to see if the drives worked on the other computers after they stopped working on my main. I apologize.

They wouldn't work if the MFT is fucked up. You could've fixed it on any other machine with the correct tool however (such as TestDisk). That observation doesn't mean that your controller isn't messed up and doesn't mean that the controllers on your other machines are.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ]
Shirogane
  Posted: Dec 9 2015, 02:51 PM

QUOTE (Nomake Wan @ 10 minutes, 55 seconds ago)
They wouldn't work if the MFT is fucked up. You could've fixed it on any other machine with the correct tool however (such as TestDisk). That observation doesn't mean that your controller isn't messed up and doesn't mean that the controllers on your other machines are.

Yeah, I fear that it may be the case. For now, I'm glad to have my important data recovered, but just- yeesh.
Ivanik
Posted: Dec 21 2015, 01:11 PM

IDW Full Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 42,937

I had repeated problems with a WD320GB which I connect through an USB carry, reinstalling the drive in the devices list didn't solve the problem, even it seemed a driver problem; what solved it was to reinstall motherboard's chipset driver, the chipset controls how the motherboard uses the USB ports, I would recommend to have that in mind.
khat17
Posted: Jan 21 2016, 06:55 PM

IDW SIMPLETON

Member No.: 17,668

Joining late and I think it's been said. But. Here's a quick and dirty take.

SSD = big thumb drive. In the same way that a thumb drive can magically get up and die - so can your SSD. It has a maximum number of (manufacturer tested based on benchmarks and metrics) writes before failure. Usually this can get you through a few years and may go beyond the warranty period but if it goes there's less hope of recovery than with a HDD.

HDD = tried and tested. But. Not perfect. You may have a perfectly working drive that suddenly stops in a similar way to an SSD. Usually this isn't the case as you'd get some form of warning. Either with a performance drop or SMART. Just bear in mind that a drive that has SMART status "GOOD" doesn't always mean that. You could have bad sectors or a failing controller but SMART doesn't detect it.

Still - since you got the information you needed off that's a plus for you. My recommendation would be to use the SSD for OS, games (or frequent apps) and temporary storage then use a HDD for backup. SSD is faster. HDD is (IMO) more reliable.

2 Pages  1 2