Initial D World - Discussion Board / Forums

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )Resend Validation Email

DJ Panel ( Server Stats )   Song History   Initial D World Chat Room (Discord)   Broadband Stream
RADIO BROADCAST » streaming at 96kbps with 6 unique listeners, playing Yuzo Koshiro - Stream Of Tears

Automotive Section Rules
• Scenes depicted in Initial D are strictly fiction. Please follow the traffic rules and drive safely.
• When posting a classified thread, please label it with For Sale (FS), For Trade (FT) or Want To Buy (WTB) in the thread title.
• Use the Search function before you start a new topic. Posting a duplicated thread may earn yourself a verbal warning.
• Personal videos of illegal street racing are prohibited. Do NOT brag about your exploits. Posting a video depicting dangerous/reckless driving behavior on your part will result in an actual warning.

» FORUM MODERATOR : FORUM MODERATOR

3 Pages  1 2 3  ( Go to first unread post )

Views: 27,473  ·  Replies: 63 
> Enter the Rx8, Grapplers shiny new daily
Grappler
  Posted: Sep 3 2014, 11:09 AM

IDW Regular Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 38,805

Well here is a quick video of Session #1. I realized I have been really bad about posting these, but honestly they are kind of embarrasing. I keep finding silly mistakes that I make/made. Its definitely good to look at and improve on for myself. At the very least I'm sure you can all find a few good examples of things not to do within it.

I definitely in the overdriving phase right now its probably the most frustrating part about learning to drive at the track properly. I probably won't post the other 2 sessions. Sadly I think its mostly going to be bad habbits that I have to be fix with more seat time at the track. There are definitely not many things that cross over to street driving so this will likely be a plateau of sorts till I can iron this out.

Anyways enjoy biggrin.gif

YOUTUBE ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YyeFfM44Xsg&feature=youtu.be )

This post has been edited by Grappler on Sep 3 2014, 11:10 AM
Spaz
Posted: Sep 4 2014, 08:58 AM

Just a guy towing a car across the country to chase a dream.
Group Icon

Group: FORUM MODERATOR
Member No.: 30,193

As was said after one event... You're the group's new Spaz, since I'm apparently someone other than me now, haha.

But you're still doing well, you're still fast, you've got a good foundation to build on, you just have to keep driving these events, keep getting good instruction, and keep aiming high. The overdriving phase is fun though... Well, until you start giving hugs to walls. laugh2.gif
Proud Contributor of Initial D World Forums
Banken
Posted: Sep 4 2014, 08:18 PM

IDW Goldmember

Group: Advanced Members
Member No.: 22,465

Hands at 9 and 3, bro. 10 and 2 is for grandmothers.
sideways
Posted: Sep 6 2014, 04:31 PM

We're the People's Front of Judea!

Member No.: 1,355

Never be embarrassed to show videos of yourself taking the time to learn to drive properly on a race track in a safe environment. Even if you make silly mistakes! All part of the learning process. So long as youre not a dick on the track tongue.gif Everyone has to start somewhere- theres nothing wrong with showing where you started. Itll be great to look back at these after a few events and see how much youve improved.
Spaz
Posted: Sep 9 2014, 08:45 AM

Group Icon

QUOTE (sideways @ Sep 6 2014, 07:31 PM)
Never be embarrassed to show videos of yourself taking the time to learn to drive properly on a race track in a safe environment. Even if you make silly mistakes! All part of the learning process. So long as youre not a dick on the track tongue.gif Everyone has to start somewhere- theres nothing wrong with showing where you started. Itll be great to look back at these after a few events and see how much youve improved.

I wish I had interior video from when I started... Holy crap it would be AWFUL. laugh2.gif
Grappler
  Posted: Sep 10 2014, 06:09 AM

IDW Regular Member

Thanks for the encouragement/advice guys I'll keep posting these as I can. biggrin.gif
Grappler
  Posted: Oct 18 2014, 06:57 AM

IDW Regular Member

Spaz snagged another couple of photos of of my car again figured I would post them up whistling.gif

Courtesy of his flickr account https://www.flickr.com/photos/29843549@N08/

user posted image
Image size reduced, original size: 1024 x 683. Click here to view the image in its original dimension.

user posted image
Image size reduced, original size: 1024 x 683. Click here to view the image in its original dimension.

Plentymoon
Posted: Feb 14 2015, 03:45 PM

IDW Expert Member

Member No.: 45,235

I love the red Rx8 been really wanting one for awhile now but for now I will continue to build my first gen rx7
Grappler
  Posted: May 27 2015, 10:41 AM

IDW Regular Member

QUOTE (Plentymoon @ Feb 14 2015, 03:45 PM)
I love the red Rx8 been really wanting one for awhile now but for now I will continue to build my first gen rx7

Thank you sir it was on my shortlist of cars, and I wasn't 100% sold on it till I drove it smile.gif

That said its megaupdate time I will try and break this up into a couple of posts to hopefully make it a bit easier to understand. There will also be pictures... lots of pictures.

So far not a whole lot has changed since my last update I think a week after my last post the car went into storage.

About 2 months ago it came out of storage with a vengance to be driven at more events this year. As of right now I could literally not attend another event for the rest of the year and have already doubled my attendance. After a certain bad influence (Spaz) helped me convice myself I really did need tires these showed up. 245/40/18 Rivals where technically last years 200tw fast tire but they are certainly no slouch for the local events that I do.

user posted image
Image size reduced, original size: 720 x 540. Click here to view the image in its original dimension.

After the tires showed up I went and got the car aligned (hurah for free lifetime alignments) the car is amazingly neutral now. I am absolutely thrilled with this setup and I doubt I will change a thing unless I end up with some suspension at some point. Keep in mind this photo is without me in the car. The rear camber is symmetrical with me in it.

user posted image
Image size reduced, original size: unknown. Click here to view the image in its original dimension.

That weekend I decided to do some street car things with my street car friends.

user posted image
Image size reduced, original size: 720 x 405. Click here to view the image in its original dimension.

user posted image
Image size reduced, original size: unknown. Click here to view the image in its original dimension.

:Edit: So I was going to break this up but... I guess I can't so into one long post it goes :/Edit:

Here are a couple of my fastest runs from that event. I've managed to Iron out a lot of my over-driving from before at this particular event my goal was to feel out the car with the new tires and make sure I was staying smooth. I wan't nearly at the limit of the grip of the car I later found out. The car of course performed flawlessly and I managed to get 15th out of 27 in my second ever AutoX.
YOUTUBE ( https://youtu.be/hRK6DxO8K44 )

Finally we get to more recent events. I took the car out to yet another HPDE last Friday but they changed it up a bit and added a small speed stop course as well with the typical road course. I absolutely loved it and took full advantage of the instructors knowledge. It felt like I got out of the another plateau in my driving ability.
user posted image
Image size reduced, original size: 720 x 540. Click here to view the image in its original dimension.

user posted image
Image size reduced, original size: 1087 x 723. Click here to view the image in its original dimension.

I have a much better understanding of the grip the tires have now and learned a bit more about controlling the slip angle of the car while on the limit. I swear having an instructor in the car is like adding 100hp to the car sometimes. Its an awesome feeling when the lightbulb goes off and you all of sudden feel the difference in speed.

user posted image
Image size reduced, original size: 1087 x 723. Click here to view the image in its original dimension.

Now in the downtime since last weekend I got the brake fluid changed out in the car. I'm running this stuff in it for now which should be good unless I start doing more than my 20 minute stints. Pads are next on the list though as well as swapping out the diff fluid.

user posted image
Image size reduced, original size: 2988 x 5312. Click here to view the image in its original dimension.

As a very important sidenote a friend of a friend was out taking photos at the HPDE and I can't forget to credit him for his photos.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/124979639@N02/

This post has been edited by Grappler on May 27 2015, 11:07 AM
Grappler
  Posted: Jul 2 2015, 06:44 AM

IDW Regular Member

I got to participate in a local time attack event this weekend and had an absolute blast. I didn't do too poorly took 6th out of 8 class competitors. However I'm beginning to wonder if my Autox habits are negatively affecting my track habits. I've been cutting into the corners too early lately and its really starting to bug me how much time I'm leaving on the track. Part of me thinks its from navigating elements at Autox. None the less both are skill sets I need to work on.

The odd part is I actually don't want to touch the car as far as mods are concerned until I have more ways of viewing data at the track. I've got an old netbook I might throw a Linux distro on and relegate it to track video review duties. I know the car has way more in it even in stock form, its just the damn nut behind the wheel that needs fixing.

Anyways a couple of quick clips from this weekend as well as a bonus at the end.

YOUTUBE ( https://youtu.be/xfdebL6UMvg )
Spaz
Posted: Jul 2 2015, 11:03 AM

Group Icon

Dat bonus doe.

I'm going to start bringing my Surface 2 to the track for reviewing video.
Crono0001
Posted: Jul 2 2015, 01:27 PM

IDW Jr. Member

Member No.: 44,089

You turn in REALLY early on some corners. Use more of the track, it'll improve your traction and entry speed if you go a little wider.
Spaz
Posted: Jul 2 2015, 04:50 PM

Group Icon

I dragged him into my office after he posted this, pulled it up and just "early, late, overdriving, late, good, early..." I think part of it is that he spends enough time at enough events with me and it kinda turns into a "do as I say, not as I do" situation, especially considering the differences in our cars. The other part, as stated, as that the transition from autox to road racing is hard, especially if you're not used to making it like those of us who compete in both in the same weekend numerous times per year. This, AFAIK, was Grappler's first actual competitive event that wasn't in an autox configuration at this venue so from my own experience, I can say that transitional mistakes are far from unexpected.

Grappler, I need to just put you in the driver's seat of my car for a session at some point here so you can start to understand the differences between them and be able to better process what you see from my passenger seat and how it both relates and contrasts to you.
TodoRacingDC5
Posted: Jul 2 2015, 07:56 PM

IDW Member

Member No.: 45,684

Just thought I'd pop when I read RX8! Really great stuff here, I especially like the photos taken underneath those gorgeous trees with yellow-orange leaves. Just looks incredible.
backalleyracer
Posted: Jul 5 2015, 11:47 AM

IDW Goldmember

Member No.: 7,122

I teach a lot of people, and a lot of people come to me with autocross experience, and I always tell them...

"whatever you learned in autocross, do not do that here on a race track - you will be slow."

I have told many of my customers that autocross gives you bad habits and you are correct, you have gained bad habits from it. (this also applies to anyone who only track races car with slicks on them)

but not to worry, you are not a robot, you can learn! Keep those eyes up, and be as smooth as you can.

Just as others have said, you didn't pay to use half the track, you paid to use ALL of the track... use it.

edit - I watched your video - I liked it! I obviously do not know the track, however...

1) You need to keep looking further down the track, I saw you do it once, do it for all corners smile.gif

2) you were pretty smooth, I like that, I like your hand positions too!

3) Just practice more, and you'll get there, it takes a long time to understand what the front end of the car is doing, try to imagine where the weight of the car is moving - did you hit your entry, apex, and exit? excellent!... now do it again, but faster.

This post has been edited by backalleyracer on Jul 5 2015, 12:00 PM
Kiroshino
Posted: Jul 5 2015, 06:12 PM

IDW Goldmember
Group Icon

Member No.: 34,203

Out of curiosity, what camera are you using and how are you attaching it?
Grappler
  Posted: Jul 7 2015, 10:42 AM

IDW Regular Member

QUOTE (Crono0001 @ Jul 2 2015, 01:27 PM)
You turn in REALLY early on some corners.  Use more of the track, it'll improve your traction and entry speed if you go a little wider.

I most certainly do, definitely something I need to work on. Hopefully I'll get a chance to do some more road course stuff this year.

QUOTE (Spaz @ Jul 2 2015, 04:50 PM)
This, AFAIK, was Grappler's first actual competitive event that wasn't in an autox configuration at this venue.

Yes my first official non autox track day, I need better pads before I go do the big boy courses tongue.gif

QUOTE (TodoRacingDC5 @ Jul 2 2015, 07:56 PM)
Just thought I'd pop when I read RX8! Really great stuff here, I especially like the photos taken underneath those gorgeous trees with yellow-orange leaves. Just looks incredible.

Thanks man! those photos are courtesy of the Spaz, he had scoped it out. I think if you dig through his evo thread you might find a few similar photos of his Evo.

QUOTE (backalleyracer @ Jul 5 2015, 11:47 AM)
I teach a lot of people, and a lot of people come to me with autocross experience, and I always tell them...

"whatever you learned in autocross, do not do that here on a race track - you will be slow."

I have told many of my customers that autocross gives you bad habits and you are correct, you have gained bad habits from it. (this also applies to anyone who only track races car with slicks on them)

but not to worry, you are not a robot, you can learn! Keep those eyes up, and be as smooth as you can.

Just as others have said, you didn't pay to use half the track, you paid to use ALL of the track... use it.

edit - I watched your video - I liked it! I obviously do not know the track, however...

1) You need to keep looking further down the track, I saw you do it once, do it for all corners smile.gif

2) you were pretty smooth, I like that, I like your hand positions too!

3) Just practice more, and you'll get there, it takes a long time to understand what the front end of the car is doing, try to imagine where the weight of the car is moving - did you hit your entry, apex, and exit? excellent!... now do it again, but faster.

Thanks for the feedback! I really do appreciate it, I'll try to work on the things you mentioned. I don't get to do many track days, but I look forward to the challenge of developing a new skill set.

QUOTE (Kiroshino @ Jul 5 2015, 06:12 PM)
Out of curiosity, what camera are you using and how are you attaching it?

Its a Replay XD that I picked up recently, so I can stop stealing Spaz's Go Pro. Currently its mounted to my helmet via a sticky mount. I'm going to see if I can pickup a suction mount and interior mount it to the sunroof so it doesn't bobble around so much with my head movement.
Grappler
  Posted: Aug 18 2015, 07:15 AM

IDW Regular Member

Yep another update, at least this time its only been a month tongue.gif

user posted image

I've been skipped out on a few Autox events, just to get more track time. I feel like its been paying off.

I had the opportunity to go out to USAIR in Shawano WI and hang out with some of the 365racing.net guys and get some much needed seat time. The track has a ton of elevation changes and is very technical. I do have some video however in my attempts to muffle the wind noise there is no sound...

So a photo will have to do...

user posted image

Fast forward to last Thursday I went out to the MN Time Attack Test and Tune session which was 5 hours of pure awesomeness. I sort of figured out the wind canceling thing out but I still have very very very quiet audio so apologies.

YOUTUBE ( https://youtu.be/on51SSWuoJs )

The first clip is the cleanest lap I had all day (by no means good). The second clip is the where things sort of started to come together but got cut short by fuel starvation/misfires. What I came away with is I still need more driver mod, and I need to start bringing extra fuel to events. I also stuck another bonus clip in.

Anyways I appreciate feedback as always and the photos are again from my friend Alex Flickr

:edit: photos now in non forum breaking resolution :/edit:

This post has been edited by Grappler on Aug 18 2015, 07:20 AM
Spaz
Posted: Aug 18 2015, 09:43 AM

Group Icon

We both need another RS event there for instruction time.
Grappler
  Posted: Aug 18 2015, 09:17 PM

IDW Regular Member

QUOTE (Spaz @ Today, 9:43 AM)
We both need another RS event there for instruction time.

I agree, its much quicker feedback and easy to make corrections. Instead of recording video and watching it later and then waiting for another track day.
Grappler
  Posted: Sep 22 2015, 08:30 AM

IDW Regular Member

Well yeah so its been about a month, so I guess I should post another update.

After the test and tune session I got some great feed back from some of the local guys, on making sure I use the whole track. Its something that had been explained to me before but its funny how someone explaining something slightly differently can make the light bulb click on.

YOUTUBE ( https://youtu.be/FDsxyMm2JLA )

Can't say I'm unhappy with the results, I managed 4th place in whats still a very stock car on "old" tires.

I feel like the car has more in it and I've just got to find it. Luckily I've got 3 more weekends worth of events and at least 2 of them should have some awesome instructors to help. The last thing I want is to start slapping parts on the car to go faster, hopefully I can get an instructor to drive the car to give me a decent benchmark of where I'm at vs the car.
Spaz
Posted: Sep 22 2015, 10:16 AM

Group Icon

See if Andy will drive it on Friday, he'd be a good one to get feedback from with how similar the S2k is.

And I'm glad I could help explain things for you too, everyone understands things a little bit differently so any little bit I can contribute I'm happy to do so. smile.gif
Grappler
  Posted: Oct 28 2015, 08:43 AM

IDW Regular Member

Last Update of the season...

I went to an HPDE/Time Attack on 9/25 and got some great instruction at the event. I had one of the instructors a local Chump/WRL guy ride along and drive my car a bit to see where I was at vs the car. I was pleasantly surprised that I managed to keep up with his times. It definitely makes me feel like I'm getting every bit I can out of the car in its current form. No videos of this event since I had left the Replay xd at home.

Fast forward to 10/4 there were no track days left for me so I went back to my old standby Autox. I managed to take 1st in my class beating a good friend in the process.

YOUTUBE ( https://youtu.be/2abukZA_LvE )

The next weekend 10/11 was the last driving event of the year for me. I didn't win but I still feel like I did well. The course was a bit longer and filled with nothing but slaloms. Which definitely put the hurt on my old tires.

YOUTUBE ( https://youtu.be/QxSvdREeMEU )

Sadly my tires were well beyond the wear-bar at this point so I didn't get a chance to do the 12 hour test and tune / time attack this last weekend. I did stop by though to harass Spaz a bit and hang out with the RS/365 Racing guys for a while.

Car went into storage Monday which means the season is officially over for me.

Event Results.

MAC Autox #3 2nd in Novice
MAC Autox #7 1st in DSP
MAC Autox #8 2nd in DSP
MN Time Attack #2 6th in Street Heavy
MN Time Attack #3 4th in Street Heavy

Series Results

MN Time Attack 10th in Street Heavy out of 27
MAC Autox 3rd in DSP

In retrospect this was my first official season of competition and I'm very happy with how it went.
I learned so much from such very awesome people and now I get to help a few of them out this next week in Las Vegas. I'm still trying figure out what I'm going to do for next year fortunately I have some time to think about it.

This post has been edited by Grappler on Oct 28 2015, 08:43 AM
Spaz
Posted: Oct 28 2015, 09:57 AM

Group Icon

Dude, you ROCKED out there for your first season of notable competition. It's been awesome watching you get to this point.

Proud of you, man. smile.gif
Grappler
  Posted: Mar 20 2016, 08:54 AM

IDW Regular Member

user posted image
Image size reduced, original size: 1440 x 2560. Click here to view the image in its original dimension.

It's that time of year updates are incoming

[ Post made via Mobile Device ]

3 Pages  1 2 3