Initial D World - Discussion Board / Forums

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )Resend Validation Email

DJ Panel ( Server Stats )   Song History   Initial D World Chat Room (Discord)   Broadband Stream
RADIO BROADCAST » streaming at 96kbps with 2 unique listeners, playing m.o.v.e - Come Together (Radio Edit)

Automotive Section Rules
• Scenes depicted in Initial D are strictly fiction. Please follow the traffic rules and drive safely.
• When posting a classified thread, please label it with For Sale (FS), For Trade (FT) or Want To Buy (WTB) in the thread title.
• Use the Search function before you start a new topic. Posting a duplicated thread may earn yourself a verbal warning.
• Personal videos of illegal street racing are prohibited. Do NOT brag about your exploits. Posting a video depicting dangerous/reckless driving behavior on your part will result in an actual warning.

» FORUM MODERATOR : FORUM MODERATOR

9 Pages  1 2 3 » ( Go to first unread post )

Views: 17,372  ·  Replies: 223 
> IDWs 1st Official Too-Gay for the Touge Track Day, Gauging interest

Will you be showing up?!
Yes, Intending to race [ 9 ]  [40.91%]
Yes, Intending to spectate [ 4 ]  [18.18%]
No, Why the heck would I want to go to this awesome venue? [ 1 ]  [4.55%]
The choices are too confusing [ 8 ]  [36.36%]
Total Votes: 22
Guests cannot vote 
sideways
  Posted on Sep 23 2013, 06:16 AM

We're the People's Front of Judea!

Group: Advanced Members
Member No.: 1,355

Your Mod of Mods is heading back stateside from the land down under for vacation in December- To celebrate I'm gauging interesting in, and hoping to host, the first official track day experience for our members. Im still hashing out the details, and will update with more based on the interest and turn out.

I plan to host the venue at Adams Motorsport Park (you can click this), located in Riverside CA

https://www.google.com/maps?q=5292+24th+St,...509,+USA&oi=map

The track in question is actually a gokart track, but they open it up for automotive racing on Tuesday nights. The track, being a gokart track, is relatively twisty and complex, so it should be a good bit of "fun" for most of our members who are awesome enough to join, but its not high-speed (Most cars will be in 2nd gear most of the time, possibly hitting 3rd on the straights)- So it should be relatively safe, and very easy for everyone of all skill levels to really open up the throttle and enjoy some racing without much fear. Its a great place for novice and experienced alike.

user posted image
Image size reduced, original size: 700 x 438. Click here to view the image in its original dimension.

A short video of the track to give you an idea of what its like:
YOUTUBE ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n56W-BjFPfM )

Its also cheap and easy to enjoy. Price to race is 20 dollars per session, with a session lasting about an hour and they have a few sessions a night. This makes it extremely affordable for anyone who wants to enter- No need to spend 1-200+ dollars signing up with a sanctioned racing group renting out a track.

Dont have a car? Dont worry! Price to get in to spectate is only 5 bucks, or, and I strongly recommend if this is the case- You can spend 10 bucks and obtain a ride-along pass that will let you ride shotgun. Knock on wood my Z should be ready for the event, and will be bringing it along for the fun. My passenger seat is open to any and all who are brave enough to climb in and join me. Likewise Id love to ride along with as many members as possible who are willing to take me as a passenger with them.

Im getting in contact with the park to see if there are any concerns for having a larger body of people show up, depending on how many of us attend, and if they might have any deals on group buys or multiple session-buys (All night pass kind of things).

Well have prizes and awards, based largely on who and what we have show up- Fastest in class, fastest overall, etc. Winners will also receive a very special banner trophy being designed by our very own Sensation to throw in their signatures to show off their feats of incredible awesomeness.

So when is this? Itll depend on a few factors, but probably the 17th of december depending on the interest we get.

More details to come as the interest is figured out. Dinner plans, photo ops, hotel (Id like to try and suggest a common hotel for any and all of us that will be needing it, give us a place to hang out before/after the event, and possibly lower the cost for any members who are willing/interested to share a room with other members), etc.

If this sounds interesting to you, please chime in. Have suggestions? Feed back? Ideas? Thoughts? Concerns? Let me know. Lets make this happen!

Edit:

List of attendees

Racers:
Sideways
Vile
Representative from the J Empire.
TranceKitsune
Fast
Tuskano

Spectators:
Sensation (Possibly racing)
Honda CG2
SidewaysStarion (Will be pushing to drive)
Case (Will be pushing to drive)
OkamiWind

Guidelines to race

These are the tech guidelines from their drifting page. These guidelines are relatively in-line with every tech/safety inspection Ive come across for most normal track days, so I have no reason to expect the safety inspections/requirements to be any different for race days, I am however getting in contact with them to be 100% certain. Until I've obtained confirmation this will provide you with a good outline of what you need to do to your car to have it ready:

Battery properly secured and positive terminal covered
Engine compartment free of loose items (air filter, hoses, wires, etc)
No fluid leaks or exposed wires
Brake lights function properly (at least two red functioning brake lights)
Seat properly mounted and secure
Seatbelts properly mounted and secure
Brake pads and rotors in good condition (min 40% thickness)
Tires are road-worthy and safe (min 3/32 tread depth, no sidewall damage)
Wheels and wheel bearings are tight and road worthy
Windshield is free of cracks which might obstruct the driver’s vision
Helmet is SNELL certified M95 or SA95 or newer and free of damage
No loose items in passenger compartment or trunk
Open cars require a roll bar

I will say im surprised they not only allow helmets as old as sa95, they allow m95 helmets as well. For those that dont know, the big different between motorcycle and racing helmets is that racing helmets are designed/required/rated to take multiple hits safely. Motorcycle helmets are only rated/required to be able to safely absorb a single impact.

This post has been edited by sideways on Oct 13 2013, 07:27 PM
THE_HONDA_CG2
Posted on Sep 23 2013, 06:40 AM

Patient Zero

Member No.: 37,947

You had me at Riverside. December 17th, I might either be in finals or on winter break. I'll let everyone know what I'll be doing when the date nears. I remember talking to HorizontalMitsubishi about a track day many moons ago but no one really displayed any interest in it because of the price which was 1,000+. I wasn't too kosher with it either, but to ride in your Z for 10 bucks on a track? Hell yes I'm down. Thank you so much for putting this together! I hope we have a huge turn out! biggrin.gif
Tuskano
Posted on Sep 23 2013, 07:19 AM

IDW Supremo Member

Member No.: 38,740

Well damn. I might be getting ready for a trip up to visit parents in Oregon by then. Not too sure about the dates though as I still have to wait for my command to setup the vacation dates. But it would be two weeks around the 25th.

Still... that looks fun. I would love to get my 3000gt on there. By then she would have coilovers installed and dropped about an inch or so.
kyonpalm
Posted on Sep 23 2013, 07:40 AM

Professional Amateur
Group Icon

Group: ADMINISTRATOR
Member No.: 30,882

These choices confuse me, as I will be over 2,500 miles away and unfortunately unable to attend. But as for the idea, I love it. Looks like a lot of fun, and I'm sure we'll see an awesome turnout.
Proud Contributor of the Music Section Revival Project
Kerxn
Posted on Sep 23 2013, 07:56 AM

now clean your screen

Member No.: 3,880

Fly me in from Korea, that'd be pretty boss.
Proud Contributor of Initial D World Forums
OkamiWind
Posted on Sep 23 2013, 08:09 AM

Ravioli Ravioli
Group Icon

Group: FORUM MODERATOR
Member No.: 40,468

Would definitely like to go, but I would be in finals week at that moment. So I would be a no show unfortunately.

But if I could, I would definitely spectate and maybe ride along side. It would be fun as heck to say the least.

Then again...the only other final I have after the Tuesday one is a Thursday final that I can study up on Wednesday rather than Tuesday night...plus I just realized how close I am to it...only a 10 minute drive with no traffic...

This post has been edited by OkamiWind on Sep 23 2013, 08:12 AM
Spaz
Posted on Sep 23 2013, 09:33 AM

Just a guy towing a car across the country to chase a dream.
Group Icon

Member No.: 30,193

I voted yes, intending to race, but that is subject to change. I should have plenty of time to take off work still, since my vacation resets in February.

As things are looking, I'll be in a Jetta GLI by then, which would be a riot out there with your typical VW handling dynamics, but having to swap tires on the drive is a bit unsettling; I'd have to swap the snows off when coming out of the mountains. I do have a second set of wheels that will fit it so that's a non-issue, it's just... Yeah. Summer works better for me in that aspect.
Rudy
Posted on Sep 23 2013, 09:57 AM

Unregistered

(THIS POST WAS REMOVED BY REQUEST)
RedsunsF1
Posted on Sep 23 2013, 11:13 AM

Nasa UT | FF FK8

Member No.: 38,401

Hmm going up against Spaz sounds like a lot of fun cool.gif

I know I have a Caribbean cruise some time in December, but if i don't go i'll definitely try to make it out there.

If I do try and make it out there i'm gonna have to haul my car out. I'm gonna have to get a hotel near by unless they allow sleep overs at the track.

This post has been edited by FC_spec on Sep 23 2013, 11:42 AM
MetalMan777
Posted on Sep 23 2013, 05:35 PM

Snooping as usual

Member No.: 32,588

Holy shit, $20? I'm used to Mid Ohio prices, so that's dirt cheap. Looks like plenty of fun, too. I have a car that'd be perfect for that track. All I'd have to do is shift the redline from 8500 to 10k, who even needs a 3rd gear?

I couldn't do this on the 17th due to work. Sometime between Xmas and 2014 would be doable. I'd have to fly it and rent a car. I'm just not driving that far for you guys, sorry. My time is worth too much to take off work to make that drive.

Do enjoy, though. I hope it goes well enough that you can do it again sometime when my schedule lines up.
Nomake Wan
Posted on Sep 23 2013, 06:56 PM

ShiMACHaze

Member No.: 5,394

Don't do it late June/early July. That's Anime Expo and as fun as a track day is, I dedicate those weeks entirely to AX every year and will not be making any exceptions.
Proud Contributor of IDW Forums and the Music Section Revival Project
Spaz
Posted on Sep 23 2013, 07:50 PM

Group Icon

QUOTE (MetalMan777 @ 2 hours, 14 minutes ago)
I'd have to fly it and rent a car.

Dare I say it... Rental races??????? awesome.gif
MetalMan777
Posted on Sep 23 2013, 07:53 PM

Snooping as usual

There is no car in the world faster than one you don't own.
Nomake Wan
Posted on Sep 23 2013, 07:55 PM

ShiMACHaze

Member No.: 5,394

QUOTE (Spaz @ 5 minutes, 10 seconds ago)
Dare I say it... Rental races??????? awesome.gif

Never underestimate a rental Dodge Neon with a 150 shot of nitrous.
Proud Contributor of IDW Forums and the Music Section Revival Project
Rudy
Posted on Sep 23 2013, 08:51 PM

Unregistered

Sensation!
Posted on Sep 23 2013, 08:58 PM

As expected of country grown vegetables
Group Icon

Group: Special Snowflake
Member No.: 19,520

The problem with you guys playing around with the dates is that Sideways currently resides in Australia, and that he'll be down in SoCal here to visit in December.

And if he's the event planner, it may mean the date isn't as flexible as some of you guys would want it to be. It's all up to him though.

EDIT:
And personally, I'd like it to sometime in 2014 as well, it would give me time to prep up my car.

This post has been edited by Sensation! on Sep 23 2013, 09:29 PM
backalleyracer
Posted on Sep 23 2013, 09:02 PM

IDW Goldmember

Member No.: 7,122

if I am in the mainland still - I am down... I might be hawaii though for a wedding
Rudy
Posted on Sep 23 2013, 09:05 PM

Unregistered

THE_HONDA_CG2
Posted on Sep 23 2013, 10:16 PM

Patient Zero

Member No.: 37,947

Whatever the date is, I'll try my best to get out there. I mean I'm kinda in the area already, and I really really want to hang out with Sideways... I'll drag Fragger out too! And since this is pretty far in advance, I'll see if I can twist Perry's arm into going. I call dibs on riding shotgun with Sideways though! happy.gif
sideways
  Posted on Sep 23 2013, 11:04 PM

We're the People's Front of Judea!

Member No.: 1,355

Sensation hit the nail on the head- Im flying 7000 miles from another continent on the other side of the world in a different hemisphere- My window to work with is pretty small, and they only have these time attacks for cars on Tuesdays- Which leaves either that Tuesday, or the following- Which is deathly close to Christmas. There are plenty of big track events going on, and quite a few that are up on the weekend- But these will net you about 1-200 bucks to enter, vs the 20. If this is "better", then hey im all for it! (Was planning on doing a big track during my visit anyways lol)- I just thought this might be more financially doable for most members.

Also please keep in mind, this is only the first of these events wink2.gif. I head out to the states about twice a year, in roughly 6'ish month intervals- My goal is to get a good 10-20 people to show up to this (That again is just people, not necessarily cars- Mind you the more cars the better, but again you don't HAVE to race! Come hang out, shoot the shit, shit the shoot, or whatever it is you kids do these days. Maybe splurge the extra 5 bucks to get a ride along pass so you can co pilot with the friendly members who make their passenger seats available- But a car isn't a requirement!)- I think if we can get a turn out like that id be inclined to keep these happening on most of my trips, so probably once or twice a year. If the turn out is good on this one Ill gladly host another on my next trip- Which will be next summer ish.

Edit: And Honda, as you've called dibs already youre invited to have first ride in my passenger seat should I manage to get my car driving! Just bear in mind its my first time on this track, or, any track really for that matter- Im admittedly a bit of a noob so I want to warn you now it might be slow and unexciting on my first laps until Im comfortable there tongue.gif

This post has been edited by sideways on Sep 23 2013, 11:08 PM
Spaz
Posted on Sep 24 2013, 08:26 AM

Group Icon

QUOTE (sideways @ 9 hours, 21 minutes ago)
Just bear in mind its my first time on this track, or, any track really for that matter- Im admittedly a bit of a noob so I want to warn you now it might be slow and unexciting on my first laps until Im comfortable there tongue.gif

Not quite a pro tip: I am not a good example of what to do your first time on a track...

Though at the same time I've been running kart tracks for years, so it depends on how you want to count things. tongue.gif
JKaiba
Posted on Sep 24 2013, 08:58 AM

Alias The J'

Member No.: 16,596

The Empire of J may choose to send a representative of its interests to this event. We will monitor until a final decision is reached.
Vile
Posted on Sep 24 2013, 09:23 AM

IDW's Furfag

Group: Members
Member No.: 30,586

Hi, I know that I'm not a... Regular member here and all but I've always wanted to go to a track but could never attend because well let's just say that I only know people that are into the low & slow lifestyle. *face palm*

I'm pretty much free on whatever days you guys go on. So it just depends entirely upon the rest of the other guys.

Oh and I call second dibs on shotgun in sideways car!

[ Post made via Mobile Device ]
JKaiba
Posted on Sep 24 2013, 10:17 AM

Alias The J'

Member No.: 16,596

will there be helmets required or rented at the track?
MetalMan777
Posted on Sep 24 2013, 01:04 PM

Snooping as usual

QUOTE (Spaz @ 4 hours, 38 minutes ago)
Not quite a pro tip: I am not a good example of what to do your first time on a track...

Though at the same time I've been running kart tracks for years, so it depends on how you want to count things. tongue.gif

Evos let you get away with a lot of bad habits that don't sit well with normal cars. Those differentials are black magic.

I might be a good example of what to do, but I get pretty ridiculous pretty quickly after I've learned the line. My reason for this is that in real races, which I don't even do, you rarely get to drive on line, so unless there's a stopwatch, you might as well get creative. I'm not convinced there's enough width on a gokart track to get creative. Hopefully there's enough width to get sideways.

9 Pages  1 2 3 »