Initial D World - Discussion Board / Forums

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )Resend Validation Email

DJ Panel ( Server Stats )   Song History   Initial D World Chat Room (Discord)   Broadband Stream
RADIO BROADCAST » streaming at 96kbps with 14 unique listeners, playing (WMMT3 OST) Inexhaustible Energy

Automotive Section Rules
• Scenes depicted in Initial D are strictly fiction. Please follow the traffic rules and drive safely.
• When posting a classified thread, please label it with For Sale (FS), For Trade (FT) or Want To Buy (WTB) in the thread title.
• Use the Search function before you start a new topic. Posting a duplicated thread may earn yourself a verbal warning.
• Personal videos of illegal street racing are prohibited. Do NOT brag about your exploits. Posting a video depicting dangerous/reckless driving behavior on your part will result in an actual warning.

» FORUM MODERATOR : FORUM MODERATOR

4 Pages  1 2 3 » ( Go to first unread post )

Views: 8,565  ·  Replies: 80 
> Police Arrest "Manhattan Speed Freak", For lapping Manhattan Island in 24 minutes
Rudy
  Posted: Sep 7 2013, 07:14 PM

Unregistered

(THIS POST WAS REMOVED BY REQUEST)

This post has been edited by Dorifuta on Sep 8 2013, 06:44 PM
Nomake Wan
Posted: Sep 7 2013, 07:20 PM

ShiMACHaze

Group: Advanced Members
Member No.: 5,394

QUOTE (Dorifuta @ 5 minutes, 47 seconds ago)
My question is, does this kid really deserve to be handcuffed and have his BMW seized for moderate speeding, one red light violation and a half-dozen-or-so failure to stay in lane violations?

Yes. While I definitely 'ignore' speed limits (by this I mean regularly doing 5-10 MPH above posted in optimum conditions, or faster if traffic is going faster), the rest of the violations are things I absolutely cannot condone in any way, shape or form. While speed limits are arbitrary and designed to keep the general unwashed point-A-to-point-B public safe from themselves, the rest of our road laws are there for a fucking reason--to keep everyone safe. Running red lights, crossing double-yellows, ignoring stop signs, driving between two lanes, driving on shoulders, tailgating, not using turn signals...

Those are dangerous things and I won't shed a single tear when someone gets their ass busted for them.
Proud Contributor of IDW Forums and the Music Section Revival Project
Rudy
  Posted: Sep 7 2013, 07:22 PM

Unregistered

Nomake Wan
Posted: Sep 7 2013, 08:52 PM

ShiMACHaze

I haven't seen the video--heck I didn't even click your link. I simply responded to your question in general terms as it was asked in general terms.
SgtXDNX
Posted: Sep 7 2013, 10:19 PM

Goddamn Electric

Member No.: 23,073

QUOTE (Nomake Wan @ 2 hours, 59 minutes ago)
Yes. While I definitely 'ignore' speed limits (by this I mean regularly doing 5-10 MPH above posted in optimum conditions, or faster if traffic is going faster), the rest of the violations are things I absolutely cannot condone in any way, shape or form. While speed limits are arbitrary and designed to keep the general unwashed point-A-to-point-B public safe from themselves, the rest of our road laws are there for a fucking reason--to keep everyone safe. Running red lights, crossing double-yellows, ignoring stop signs, driving between two lanes, driving on shoulders, tailgating, not using turn signals...

Those are dangerous things and I won't shed a single tear when someone gets their ass busted for them.

Pretty much this, and especially in regards to running reds. The amount of serious traffic incidents caused by idiots flying through intersections during red lights are absolutely ridiculous, not to mention just how much damage some idiot going 100 plowing into the side of someone with right of way going 50 through the intersection. They're picking up bits of people and car for hours afterwards, and that's assuming that it's just two normal-sized family sedans. You would have to be a dead-set moron to run red lights, and doubly so to do it at above the posted limit.
Proud Contributor of Initial D World Forums
MetalMan777
Posted: Sep 7 2013, 10:29 PM

Snooping as usual

Member No.: 32,588

Where I come from, street racing is enough to lose your license. This timed run could be considered racing against the clock, and would put him in front of a judge at a minimum. No idea if that's a law in NY, but it's a license revocation here.

The message here isn't "don't speed or drive recklessly." The message is actually "don't be a braggart and make your own evidence against yourself." This kid was low hanging fruit.
sideways
Posted: Sep 8 2013, 12:58 AM

We're the People's Front of Judea!

Member No.: 1,355

I must say my opinion sides largely with Nomake- And feel he hit the nail pretty square on the head. Much to the amusement of many who have first met me (And my amusement at having had otherwise expected of me), and to the annoyance of many friends who've had to caravan with me, I rarely speed- and if I do, its not by much- However I rarely feel "speeding" (within reason, of course) is all that dangerous. Its the other stuff that bugs me (in particular tail gating, or cutting people off). I strongly feel the guy going 80 mph on a 65 mph limited empty freeway by himself poses a far less risk than the asshat whos driving "the speed limit" in traffic 5 feet off of your bumper.

And btw-

I'm not going to post the video link since it hasn't been officially reviewed by forum staff and right now there's an unusually high level of "street racing" video crackdowns, but I will offer my two cents - and possibly edit the video in later on.

I wouldnt worry about it- feel free to post the video smile.gif. Its not that we (well, at least myself) are cracking down on street racing videos. We just tend to dislike and discourage people who post videos of themselves doing illegal things and then attempt to show off their "exploits" here to everyone.

Basically, its pretty much ok to post videos of street racing, on the loose grounds that the reason for posting the video is for mature discussion- What isnt "ok" is posting a video of yourself or your friends getting fast and furious on the streets doing their toretto impression, or getting mad jay de em tyte on the toe-gay showing off their awesum fujiwara skillz, because you felt it was "cool" and want to brag/show off the adventure to us. Its all on the maturity of the post that accompanies the video.
Rudy
  Posted: Sep 8 2013, 07:00 PM

Unregistered

Mr. Shine
Posted: Sep 8 2013, 08:11 PM

Troll King

Member No.: 3,757

Making and posting a video like that was just asking to be made an example of.

It sounds like you're trying to suggest that because there were other people violating traffic laws in various ways just as much as the video maker and therefore he shouldn't be punished to the extent he is. To me that's just not logical.

This post has been edited by Mr. Shine on Sep 8 2013, 08:11 PM
N643
Posted: Sep 8 2013, 08:15 PM

IDW Prime Member

Member No.: 28,448

i dont know if i should be proud of him or ashamed since this guy is from my province

Rudy
  Posted: Sep 8 2013, 08:38 PM

Unregistered

Nomake Wan
Posted: Sep 9 2013, 01:08 AM

ShiMACHaze

QUOTE (Dorifuta @ 4 hours, 30 minutes ago)
I'm actually suggesting that the only reason he's getting his nuts nailed to a crucifix is because he made a Youtube video out of it.

We have a saying in my family:

You were stupid,
You got caught,
You pay the price.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ]
Mr. Shine
Posted: Sep 9 2013, 02:35 AM

Troll King

QUOTE (Dorifuta @ 5 hours, 57 minutes ago)
I'm actually suggesting that the only reason he's getting his nuts nailed to a crucifix is because he made a Youtube video out of it.

That's because making a YouTube video of it shows the deliberate intent behind committing all the offences he committed.

Are they trying to charge him with offences he didn't commit, or apply the law to him in a way that they clearly shouldn't?

I really don't see how not throwing the book at this guy could be any realistic alternative if they want to show that such behaviour isn't condoned.

This post has been edited by Mr. Shine on Sep 9 2013, 02:36 AM
Rudy
  Posted: Sep 9 2013, 05:13 AM

Unregistered

kyonpalm
Posted: Sep 9 2013, 10:37 AM

Professional Amateur
Group Icon

Group: ADMINISTRATOR
Member No.: 30,882

QUOTE (Dorifuta @ Sep 7 2013, 11:14 PM)
...and there was ONE red light he didn't obey - alongside 3 other cars in his pack of traffic at that moment in time. Not saying it was right, but he definitely wasn't the odd one out in that situation.

user posted image

"Mr. Owl, how many red lights does it take to get to the center of a hideous, fatal, wreck?"

"Let's find out! One... t--"

One.

I cannot even begin to tackle the rest of your post. I'm not surprised in the least, of course. I don't think anything you say could surprise me anymore.
Proud Contributor of the Music Section Revival Project
W.A.R
Posted: Sep 9 2013, 10:59 AM

IDW Goldmember

Member No.: 11,318

Just another Douchebag BMW driver, yes they are fast but does that mean you have to prove to the world you are fast? what makes it more dumb is that the car was completley stock! Really?! Thats why when I drive I always see beamer drivers thinking they are all bad ass and crap when in reality the car is already comes that way. Where is the recognition? where is the pride when you pretty much bought something that you really did not put any work into.

If he can afford a BMW then he could afford the fees of what he did or maybe he cant . I hope they crush the damn car make him feel like a super ass.

Wouldnt reckless endangerment be in considerations of driving fast in public areas at extremly high speeds anything can happen on the road hence you are being reckless and you are endanger to others around you.

This post has been edited by W.A.R on Sep 9 2013, 11:11 AM
Mr. Shine
Posted: Sep 9 2013, 01:12 PM

Troll King

QUOTE (Dorifuta @ 7 hours, 58 minutes ago)
I honestly agree with most of the charges, but I don't see one point in the video where it crosses into "reckless endangerment". That's a serious charge seldom used in an automotive situation and when it is it's usually couple to a rap sheet following a high speed pursuit.

I'm obviously not familiar with US law as I am New Zealand law so don't have a clue where to begin to look for the specific legislation for wording, but a Google gave me this definition from Wikipedia:

Reckless endangerment: A person commits the crime of reckless endangerment if the person recklessly engages in conduct which creates a substantial risk of serious physical injury to another person. “Reckless” conduct is conduct that exhibits a culpable disregard of foreseeable consequences to others from the act or omission involved. The accused need not intentionally cause a resulting harm. The ultimate question is whether, under all the circumstances, the accused’s conduct was of that heedless nature that made it actually or imminently dangerous to the rights or safety of others.

Seems pretty suitable to me.
Rudy
  Posted: Sep 9 2013, 01:55 PM

Unregistered

This post has been edited by Dorifuta on Sep 9 2013, 01:56 PM
Nomake Wan
Posted: Sep 9 2013, 02:37 PM

ShiMACHaze

QUOTE (Dorifuta @ 42 minutes, 18 seconds ago)
Based on that definition, I wouldn't consider his driving as reckless endangerment.

Want reckless endangerment? Lookup Getaway in Stockholm, or Georgia M5 Drift. That's outright racing where just one little mistake from the DRIVER HIMSELF would, not could, result in tragic consequences.

This was speeding on the freeways, following a bit closely, crossing over a few lane markers and not quite making one of the 56 traffic signals he had to cross in order to make the loop.

Typical NYC asshole driving? Yes. Reckless endangerment? Hell no.

Running a red light shows a blatant disregard for the safety of oneself and others. I believe that definition fits perfectly.
W.A.R
Posted: Sep 9 2013, 03:07 PM

IDW Goldmember

Member No.: 11,318

QUOTE (Nomake Wan @ 29 minutes, 43 seconds ago)
Running a red light shows a blatant disregard for the safety of oneself and others. I believe that definition fits perfectly.

Agreed

Speeding and obviously ignoring red lights is reckless.

If he killed someone in the act would you think they would have still charged him with it, I say yes, and yes to him doing it in the first place.It is totally justified.
Rudy
  Posted: Sep 9 2013, 03:08 PM

Unregistered

This post has been edited by Dorifuta on Sep 9 2013, 03:26 PM
MidnightViper88
Posted: Sep 9 2013, 03:35 PM

Ballistic heartbreak

Member No.: 1,034

I can't tell if you're trying to defend the guy through exclusion to other anecdotes...How other drivers drive is completely independent to how video guy drove, and peculiarly, I bet video guy would've gotten away with it had he not (Also unlike most other drivers) glorified his deviancy in breaking multiple laws by taking said video...

He broke the law, he got caught and had self-made evidence stacked against him, and he got charged with it...Deal with it.
Rudy
  Posted: Sep 9 2013, 03:47 PM

Unregistered

Mr. Shine
Posted: Sep 9 2013, 03:50 PM

Troll King

I'm sorry Dorifuta but I can't help but think you're wilfully ignorant at best if you can't see the recklessness and risk of harming others in such driving behaviour.
MidnightViper88
Posted: Sep 9 2013, 04:14 PM

Ballistic heartbreak

Member No.: 1,034

QUOTE (Dorifuta @ Today, 7:47 PM)
Since everybody in this thread seems to be playing armchair traffic cop...

Says the armchair lawyer.

4 Pages  1 2 3 »