Initial D World - Discussion Board / Forums

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )Resend Validation Email

DJ Panel ( Server Stats )   Song History   Initial D World Chat Room (Discord)   Broadband Stream
RADIO BROADCAST » streaming at 96kbps with 8 unique listeners, playing m.o.v.e - Gamble Rumble

Important Rules
1 2 3 4
Initial D Latest News
  • Initial D Fifth Stage has ended with 14 episodes. [confirmed]
  • A theatrical version of Initial D is confirmed for release in August 2014. [Official Thread]
  • UPDATES : Animax has confirmed that Final Stage will be available on its subscription-based VOD (Video On Demand) service starting May 16th, 2014. It will continue where Fifth Stage left off. Consist of a total of four episodes, Final Stage will be focusing on the long-awaited final 86 vs 86 battle between Takumi and Shinji. [confirmed]
  • UPDATES : Avex has confirmed that the New Initial D The Movie will be a trilogy. First part of the trilogy is called Legend 1 -Awakening- slated for release in theaters on August 23rd, 2014 (Japan Only) [confirmed]

Please Follow These Rules
  • Please use the spoiler tag when posting content not yet covered by anime. Violator will be issued an actual warning.
  • Please take the time to read the forums description before you start a topic. Starting topic(s) in the wrong section may result in an actual warning.
  • Use the Search function before you start a new topic. Posting a duplicated thread may earn yourself a verbal warning.
  • Read the Pinned threads before starting a new topic. Posting thread(s) about question(s) already answered in Pinned threads will result in an actual warning.

» FORUM MODERATOR : FORUM MODERATOR

25 Pages  1 2 3 4 5 » ( Go to first unread post )

Views: 105,440  ·  Replies: 613 
> Initial D anime licensed by Funimation, Funimation to re-dub all stages
BOZZ
Posted: Sep 28 2009, 12:16 PM

IDW Posts A Freaking LOT Member

Group: Advanced Members
Member No.: 1,414

Alright, UmmYeahOk, I would quit it right now... I am sure people realize you are not fond of Tokyopop's work but the way you seem to be insulting a few members, not a good idea around these parts.

I realize that this thread has been derailed a bit... so let's get back on course, alright?
kyonpalm
Posted: Sep 28 2009, 12:51 PM

Professional Amateur
Group Icon

Group: ADMINISTRATOR
Member No.: 30,882

QUOTE (UmmYeahOk @ 40 minutes, 55 seconds ago)
How do I know its TPs version? I cant find anything on the internet that specifies what version, and the reviews on link you showed me make it sound like the original japanese

I know because I own FUNi's First and Second stage box sets. wink2.gif
And no, those links should be dual audio - English and Japanese w/ TP's subtitles. A FULL TP rip.
And yes, Bozzy, let this be the end of it. I wonder how they'll package their releases...
Proud Contributor of the Music Section Revival Project
Import_Lexus
Posted: Sep 28 2009, 01:21 PM

IDW Regular Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 22,550

QUOTE (ryosuke63 @ 29 minutes, 59 seconds ago)
I know because I own FUNi's First and Second stage box sets. wink2.gif
And no, those links should be dual audio - English and Japanese w/ TP's subtitles. A FULL TP rip.
And yes, Bozzy, let this be the end of it. I wonder how they'll package their releases...

i'm hoping they do box sets, because loose DVD's would kill my budget.

Maybe just re-release season 1 and 2 box sets? That would be nice happy.gif
Then season 3 is a movie so 1 disk and season 4 it wouldn't matter as much since i'd consider buying the loose DVD's
kou yuuzhen
Posted: Sep 28 2009, 11:26 PM

Point Guard

Member No.: 33,736

i dunno much bout the english dub, can't find them here. let alone tokyopop whatever........
usually i buy mandarin dubs....... and they're decent biggrin.gif
and yeah, box sets are WAYYYY cheaper than singles...... my stages 1-3 are a box set, with free eurobeat soundtrack CDs happy.gif
BOZZ
Posted: Sep 29 2009, 10:49 PM

QUOTE (Import_Lexus @ Sep 28 2009, 05:21 PM)
i'm hoping they do box sets, because loose DVD's would kill my budget.

Maybe just re-release season 1 and 2 box sets? That would be nice happy.gif
Then season 3 is a movie so 1 disk and season 4 it wouldn't matter as much since i'd consider buying the loose DVD's

With Slim discs would be nice... I like how my box set of Nadesico (a mecha anime) is pretty pedestrian in terms of the space it takes up.
char
Posted: Sep 30 2009, 12:54 PM

IDW God Member

Member No.: 16,876

You are all starting to celebrate a bit early, I would suggest that we wait and see what exactly they produce.

If I remember correctly Funimation brought us a heavily edited version of Dragonball, then for an encore they released Dragonball Z, which they managed to shorten from the origional 294 Japanese episodes to 276 American episodes.

I think that Funimation is aiming to get Initial D onto cartoon network, something which TokyoPop could not do, that is where their money will come from with DVD sales after they have build a big enough demand for the show being the icing on the cake.

now there's a few things that they have no control over namely censorship and rating ,for the age group that they are targetting with this.

so don't get too excited as yet and wait for their translation of it. happy.gif

toookoooldrew118
Posted: Sep 30 2009, 06:42 PM

Project Legacy Captain

Member No.: 25,395

QUOTE (char @ 5 hours, 47 minutes ago)
You are all starting to celebrate a bit early, I would suggest that we wait and see what exactly they produce.

If I remember correctly Funimation brought us a heavily edited version of Dragonball, then for an encore they released Dragonball Z, which they managed to shorten from the origional 294 Japanese episodes to 276 American episodes.

I think that Funimation is aiming to get Initial D onto cartoon network, something which TokyoPop could not do, that is where their money will come from with DVD sales after they have build a big enough demand for the show being the icing on the cake.

now there's a few things that they have no control over namely censorship and rating ,for the age group that they are targetting with this.

I think that if they're willing to re dub the first 3 stages its gotta be better. They're going to want to make money off of this ofcourse. so if they are indeed going through with the re dubbing then they have no choice but to make it better. They have to give both old and new fans a reason to buy the DVDs.
Tessou
Posted: Sep 30 2009, 07:09 PM

More NEGATIVE than a black hole
Group Icon

Member No.: 12,263

QUOTE (char @ 6 hours, 14 minutes ago)

1. If I remember correctly Funimation brought us a heavily edited version of Dragonball, then for an encore they released Dragonball Z, which they managed to shorten from the origional 294 Japanese episodes to 276 American episodes.

2. I think that Funimation is aiming to get Initial D onto cartoon network, something which TokyoPop could not do, that is where their money will come from with DVD sales after they have build a big enough demand for the show being the icing on the cake.

3. now there's a few things that they have no control over namely censorship and rating ,for the age group that they are targetting with this.

I numbered the parts of your post so it would be easier to answer each part.

1. The only reason the series was cut to 276 episodes the first time was because Pioneer, the original license holders, made the edits. The first 67 episodes were heavily edited down to 53. Now, those same 53 episodes were dubbed by The Ocean Group. FUNimation came in after DBZ was cancelled on Cartoon Network (fans will remember the endless reruns until FUNi picked it up). They picked up the series and distributed edited and uncut episodes that were forced to follow the hacked episode numbering that Pioneer started, creating the "276 episodes" problem. FUNimation couldn't do a damn thing to the original 67 episodes until 2004, when Pioneer (which had since become Geneon) lost their license to those episodes. The redubbing efforts by FUNimation since then have produced box sets that comprise all 291 episodes in their entirety. It was not at all FUNimation's fault. Thank Pioneer/Geneon for raping DBZ way back when.

2. I totally agree with you on that. They will have to air it on Adult Swim if they want to reach the target demographic, though, and there's a lot of competition there. Marketing an 11 year old anime (First Stage) amidst the modern shows is going to be TOUGH if they want to do this chronologically.

3. If it airs on [as] as I believe it would, there would ONE edit to the series since [as] standards would only censor the extremely brief nudity shot in Extra Stage. The rest of the series is standard TV-14 stuff, nothing to worry about.
Proud Contributor of IDW Forums and the Music Section Revival Project
BOZZ
Posted: Sep 30 2009, 09:21 PM

There's also the Enjo Kosai bit... Wonder what they will do with that if they air it on TV.
kyonpalm
Posted: Sep 30 2009, 10:36 PM

Professional Amateur
Group Icon

QUOTE (BOZZY @ 1 hour, 14 minutes ago)
There's also the Enjo Kosai bit... Wonder what they will do with that if they air it on TV.

Air what? Suggestive conversation? Have you watched Adult Swim?! laugh.gif
Tessou
Posted: Oct 2 2009, 06:07 PM

More NEGATIVE than a black hole
Group Icon

Member No.: 12,263

The enjo kosai bit was severely downplayed from the manga, remember. All we saw in the anime was Natsuki and Papa talking to each other, and none of the bedroom antics. The fact that they were having sex was only implied, so censorship for a TV-14 audience would be pointless.
Proud Contributor of IDW Forums and the Music Section Revival Project
BOZZ
Posted: Oct 2 2009, 09:05 PM

QUOTE (Ryosuke63 @ Oct 1 2009, 02:36 AM)
Air what? Suggestive conversation? Have you watched Adult Swim?! laugh.gif

I'm in Canada, I don't think we get Adult Swim/Cartoon Network.
kyonpalm
Posted: Oct 2 2009, 09:32 PM

Professional Amateur
Group Icon

QUOTE (BOZZY @ 26 minutes, 41 seconds ago)
I'm in Canada, I don't think we get Adult Swim/Cartoon Network.

Oh. Well look up Aqua Teen Hunger Force and have fun! laugh.gif
kou yuuzhen
Posted: Oct 2 2009, 11:44 PM

Point Guard

QUOTE (Tessō @ 5 hours, 37 minutes ago)
The enjo kosai bit was severely downplayed from the manga, remember. All we saw in the anime was Natsuki and Papa talking to each other, and none of the bedroom antics. The fact that they were having sex was only implied, so censorship for a TV-14 audience would be pointless.

i didn't complete the manga, so i didn't see it......... please tell me which chapter natsuki had sex with Papa
kyonpalm
Posted: Oct 2 2009, 11:59 PM

Professional Amateur
Group Icon

QUOTE (kou yuuzhen @ 14 minutes, 3 seconds ago)
i didn't complete the manga, so i didn't see it......... please tell me which chapter natsuki had sex with Papa

Uhh it was really only a few pages.

Spoiler'd for obvious reasons.
SPOILER
kou yuuzhen
Posted: Oct 3 2009, 12:31 AM

Point Guard

QUOTE (Ryosuke63 @ 32 minutes, 3 seconds ago)
Uhh it was really only a few pages.

Spoiler'd for obvious reasons.
SPOILER

gee thanks wink2.gif
i'll go check it out
btw is kyle sudoh= sudo kyoichi? his english name is kyle? blink.gif
kyonpalm
Posted: Oct 3 2009, 12:39 AM

Professional Amateur
Group Icon

QUOTE (kou yuuzhen @ 7 minutes, 42 seconds ago)
btw is kyle sudoh= sudo kyoichi? his english name is kyle? blink.gif

HOHOHO, if you think that's something... rolleyes.gif
Read this (spoiler for size):

SPOILER

Welcome to TokyoPop! tongue.gif
kou yuuzhen
Posted: Oct 3 2009, 12:57 AM

Point Guard

he's insulting kyoichi!!!!! mad.gif
you mean TP kills the language?
kyonpalm
Posted: Oct 3 2009, 01:03 AM

Professional Amateur
Group Icon

QUOTE (kou yuuzhen @ 5 minutes, 23 seconds ago)
he's insulting kyoichi!!!!! mad.gif
you mean TP kills the language?

Very much so. That's the best worst example in my opinion... laugh.gif
kou yuuzhen
Posted: Oct 3 2009, 01:11 AM

Point Guard

wtf?!?! the MF version is different! they don't show natsuki's bare body.... she was wearing a top in that pic ermm2.gif
Smikey
Posted: Oct 4 2009, 10:55 AM

dafuq
Group Icon

Group: FORUM MAYOR
Member No.: 14,329

QUOTE (UmmYeahOk @ Sep 28 2009, 12:25 PM)
First of all, if youre wasting $300 on TP DVDs, then you obviously live with your parents and dont have to spend your money on anything important, thats why you would waste so much money on such crap! Microwaving $300 worth of TPs Initial D is a WHOLE lot worth it than actually watching the show itself! THATS how bad the show actually is. Why should I burn $300 when you already proved that youre more than willing to flush it down Tokyopops toilet?

I would never in my life waste so much money on a dying medium for a show so poorly dubbed. You have any idea what you just did? You helped Tokyopop believe the show wasnt a complete failure. Rather than give up, they released season sets. FUNi could have redubed the show a LONG LONG time ago, but no. You gave them $300. That $300 says to them that what they did was right... ...that all anime they dub should be americanized in such horrible fashion.

What you did is no different than supporting terrorists. You let them win! You wanna know why theres so many crappy reality shows on TV? Because people like you watch. You cant just turn off the TV, you cant just NOT BUY.

Though I really cant support pirating fan subs, I can suggest buying foreign copies. That way youre supporting the ID franchise, and NOT Tokyopop. IMO thats not wasting money.

To accuse me of being a spoiled baby because I wouldnt waste my money on garbage or that I would rather buy asian copies is completely absurd! Grow up!

Sucks that youre forced to return it for an exact copy. Not actually get a refund.

When was this done? before you were a member here? Just was curious since it had been released years before your sign up date.

And yes, please provide examples. Besides I consider Battle stage just something extra for fans. If its poorer quality than 1 &2, its possible that the japanese cut corners, just like the americans do with direct-to-video

I found nothing wrong with my 5.1 japanese originals. Heck, I own all the simpsons DVDs, and most of them have interlacing. Youre telling me that TP is better than FOX? I can understand the interlacing considering the frame rate, but I dont believe for one minute that TP would deinterlace every single scene. Not unless such quality was already provided for them. I could see FUNi, maybe, but TP? no way.

And maybe if I were fluent in japanese unaltered video and audio would mean something, but if I have to use TPs translations, and risk the possibility that the audio and/or video has been altered in anyway. Its too much to risk paying good money for it.

So youre a Yorker. Thats explains the better-than-you attitude that I mistook for LA pride.

Really, if you dont like the TP version, then why do you defend it so?

So youve been a member since 2005? Who the hell cares? Ive already mentioned in a different thread how I have been a member for years, just never active, and somehow my account got deleted because of it. There was no need for me to post. I hated TPs version. Everyone agreed with me. When new episodes came out, Id come here just to find the link to it (buying legal copies later) Ive been watching this show since Battle Stage 1 was new. There was no need for me to rush in and sign up to every online forum dedicated to it. So congratulations on spending youre entire life on the web. You must be so proud of yourself

I decide to do some browsing when I find this absolute GEM of a thread. Simply stunning. UmmYeahOk, you are a f**king moron. I am getting that out of the way now. Your Anti-TP ranting is played out and old. People do not agree with you, stop trying to force your beliefs and the such onto others. You have your opinion and they have theirs. If you cannot accept it this may not be the forum for you. Good luck in the real world and life with an attitude such as that.

You are one of those people that when proved wrong or proved to be an idiot goes into the "OMG UR A NERD VIRGIN NO LIFE LOSER WHO LIVES WITH THEIR PARENTS AND HAS NO JOB AND NO GIRL LOLOLOLOLOLOL!" spats. It is annoying. Stop. You want attention we can see that, you want to be liked on the internet. Guess what? You aren't. Want to know why? Shit like that. Watch out we have a Mr. INTERNET TOUGH GUY coming through.

I think it is time for to start addressing some of your GRAND points.

First of all, if youre wasting $300 on TP DVDs, then you obviously live with your parents and dont have to spend your money on anything important, thats why you would waste so much money on such crap! Microwaving $300 worth of TPs Initial D is a WHOLE lot worth it than actually watching the show itself! THATS how bad the show actually is. Why should I burn $300 when you already proved that youre more than willing to flush it down Tokyopops toilet?

Apparently, reading comprehension is not your strong point. As a fan of Initial D, I picked a few up out of curiousity and knowing the Original Content (read: Japanese Version) was on the disc. Yes, I was disappointed with the dubbing but it still is worth it for the quality of the Japanese version. So amazing. I do not see how a perfectly intact Japanese version is crap unless you do not understand it, in which iirc there are subtitles, but seeing as you can not read or comprehend very well, I guess recommending that is out of the question. What I wanted to say is, watching the japanese version of the show is worth the money.

I would never in my life waste so much money on a dying medium for a show so poorly dubbed. You have any idea what you just did? You helped Tokyopop believe the show wasnt a complete failure. Rather than give up, they released season sets. FUNi could have redubed the show a LONG LONG time ago, but no. You gave them $300. That $300 says to them that what they did was right... ...that all anime they dub should be americanized in such horrible fashion.

Of course you wouldn't waste your money on a dying medium. No one would which is why VHS tapes aren't really used for releases. All I see is Blu-Ray and DVD. Yes DVD is still popular not a dying medium, which is why most new releases are on Blu-Ray and... -gasp-...DVD. But, seeing as you think DVDs are a dying medium and you wouldn't waste your money on them, it is obvious you are one of those kids who has everything handed to them, and think it is Blu-Ray all the way. Since it is probably what you have sitting in your living room that your parents paid for. inb4youdontknowmeimake$500000ayear. While Blu-Ray is good, DVDs are still cheaper to produce and more affordable to the majority of the market.

What you did is no different than supporting terrorists. You let them win! You wanna know why theres so many crappy reality shows on TV? Because people like you watch. You cant just turn off the TV, you cant just NOT BUY.

Though I really cant support pirating fan subs, I can suggest buying foreign copies. That way youre supporting the ID franchise, and NOT Tokyopop. IMO thats not wasting money.

-Sigh-, they did do something right though, they kept a japanese version on the DVD. For you to say it is a fan of the japanese version's fault for TP to keep releasing them is hardly the case. Most if not all were bought because OMG STREET RACING ON TEH TOUGE ANIME mentality or by parents as gifts. The 1% of people that bought them to check out the English version realized it was crappy and bought the rest for the superior Japanese version are not to blame. inb4WATsuperiorJapaneseUSAUSAUSA

He did buy a foreign copy hence the superior Japanese version on the DVD. Tokyopop sees their sales and are like OMGOMG WE ARE TEH RICHES because of the DVD. But, what they don't know is why some of the people continued to purchase them. Such as myself and others for the Japanese version that is on the DVD. So, yes by purchasing the TP DVD's you are in fact buying the foreign copy.

Sucks that youre forced to return it for an exact copy. Not actually get a refund.

Seems that you have never bought anything. Which further strengthens my argument that you are a child. Most places in my experience once a DVD is opened it, which they are if you find out it is damaged, can only be exchanged for the same thing, because we do live in an age of DVD burning and pirating, and they can not confirm that you did not copy it or not or if the damage came from you trying to copy it. I am not using you refering to you. I am using you in ther terms of the general consumer.

Well, I only assume that based off of what I saw them do with Initial D. I am not an anime purest. I like my anime dubbed... ...what little anime I do watch. I like ID not because it anime, but because I like the music and the cars. The story is just a plus. Changing any one of these three things, which they end up doing twice, completely ruins the show for me. Thankfully I watched the fansub first. Had I first been introduced to it through TPs version I would have never finished 1st stage.

With that said, Im not going to waste my time or money with TP. Its possible that they have done some right things with shows, but since I am never going to give them a try, I cant compliment nor complain about them.

You like it dubbed because you can't read. The above is quoted to emphasize the stupidity. You watched te fansub which is in fact the japanese version. Guess what, with the TP DVD's you can enjoy it again. But, since you seem to be a child still maybe just muting it and pretend to make your own story while watching would better suit you. "Vroom Vroom Tak, I will beat you down this mountain before you can deliver that Tofu YAY"

When was this done? before you were a member here? Just was curious since it had been released years before your sign up date.

Apparently, Battle Stage was released a looooooooooooong time ago.

And yes, please provide examples. Besides I consider Battle stage just something extra for fans. If its poorer quality than 1 &2, its possible that the japanese cut corners, just like the americans do with direct-to-video

You claim to not be an anime purist but are sitting here b*tching about quality of the anime you watched. See a few quotes above the bolded text. Oxymoron much.

I found nothing wrong with my 5.1 japanese originals. Heck, I own all the simpsons DVDs, and most of them have interlacing. Youre telling me that TP is better than FOX? I can understand the interlacing considering the frame rate, but I dont believe for one minute that TP would deinterlace every single scene. Not unless such quality was already provided for them. I could see FUNi, maybe, but TP? no way.

And maybe if I were fluent in japanese unaltered video and audio would mean something, but if I have to use TPs translations, and risk the possibility that the audio and/or video has been altered in anyway. Its too much to risk paying good money for it.

FAUX f**k YEAH! If you found nothing wrong with the 5.1 Japanese originals on the TP DVD why would you throw them away? Again, an non-anime purist complaining about quality. Ugh.

So youre a Yorker. Thats explains the better-than-you attitude that I mistook for LA pride.

He could have said Hicktown, Missouri and you would have said "So, youre a Hicktowner. That explains the better-than-you attitude that I mistook for LA pride." It isn't a better-than-you attitude. It is simply that he spoke with authority on a subject he knows quite a bit about and made you feel a bit stupid. Don't take it so hard man. It is okay to be wrong sometimes.

Really, if you dont like the TP version, then why do you defend it so?

Defending the quality of a version or the quality of the japanese version on the same DVD is not defending the TP version itself.

So youve been a member since 2005? Who the hell cares? Ive already mentioned in a different thread how I have been a member for years, just never active, and somehow my account got deleted because of it. There was no need for me to post. I hated TPs version. Everyone agreed with me. When new episodes came out, Id come here just to find the link to it (buying legal copies later) Ive been watching this show since Battle Stage 1 was new. There was no need for me to rush in and sign up to every online forum dedicated to it. So congratulations on spending youre entire life on the web. You must be so proud of yourself

HEY ME TOO IVE ONLY BEEN ACTIVE RECENTLY!!!!!

tl;dr: Shut the f**k up and get the f**k out. You are a f**king downie, and we all hope you get hit by a bus full of rainbow colored dildos.
Proud Contributor of Initial D World Forums
BOZZ
Posted: Oct 4 2009, 11:40 AM

Let's hope that is the end of that, okay?

I would like to add though, that Battle Stage came out in 2002...
kyonpalm
Posted: Oct 4 2009, 11:44 AM

Professional Amateur
Group Icon

QUOTE (BOZZY @ 3 minutes, 49 seconds ago)
Let's hope that is the end of that, okay?

I would like to add though, that Battle Stage came out in 2002...

Really? I always thought it was 03. Must've been laaate 02? Third Stage was only about a year before then, wow.
BOZZ
Posted: Oct 4 2009, 12:11 PM

QUOTE (Ryosuke63 @ 26 minutes, 57 seconds ago)
Really? I always thought it was 03. Must've been laaate 02? Third Stage was only about a year before then, wow.

Actually early 2002... February 2002 to be exact...

@ryo below: That might have been when it got fansubbed... Although so far the only fully fansubbed version of Battle Stage is the one I did some QA for N1. The originally one released by Soldats (I think it was) was missing a few races since they used the pay-per-view airing as its source whereas N1 used the R2 DVD.

This post has been edited by BOZZY on Oct 5 2009, 12:41 PM
kyonpalm
Posted: Oct 4 2009, 12:30 PM

Professional Amateur
Group Icon

QUOTE (BOZZY @ 19 minutes, 18 seconds ago)
Actually early 2002... February 2002 to be exact...

WOW! Seriously? Why have I heard 2003 every other time then... That's strange! I believe you though.

25 Pages  1 2 3 4 5 »