Initial D World - Discussion Board / Forums

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )Resend Validation Email

DJ Panel ( Server Stats )   Song History   Initial D World Chat Room (Discord)   Broadband Stream
RADIO BROADCAST » streaming at 96kbps with 5 unique listeners, playing (Fifth Stage Sound File) A GOD OF DEATH - GT-R II

Views: 7,540  ·  Replies: 3 
> salvage parts
the_stig
  Posted: Aug 26 2015, 12:37 PM

IDW Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 45,080

hey guys, for some time i've been trying to find a good set of wheels to put on my MK7 golf, what i had in mind was a set of wheels from a GTI (lagunas, detroits, etc.) as my golf is not a gti, the problem is VW's OEM parts new are stupidly expensive, even more so as being a teenager my budget is currently almost nonexistant (though hopefully that'll change as i am planning to start training as a barista for a local cafe ran by my mother). so my question is would looking around salvage yards for a totaled GTI to take the wheels off of be a good idea?
xiao
Posted: Aug 26 2015, 05:41 PM

moon bunny

Group: XIAO
Member No.: 13,323

Akio did find the Devil Z on a junkyard. awesome.gif

I've found some random parts digging around yards; mainly non-performance stuff like door mechanisms, transmission knobs, and lighter thinga-ma-jiggs. You might get lucky and find some neat wheels. You know what they say, one man's trash...

G'luck with that barista position dude. I'm always tipping 20's at my local Starbucks, think you'll have lots of fun for your 1st jorb. Just don't pick up smoking like Jun Matsumoto at the Baccanale [/j-drama reference], smoking's a dirty vice to get rid of.
Proud Contributor of Initial D World Forums
Kiroshino
Posted: Aug 26 2015, 05:41 PM

IDW Goldmember
Group Icon

Group: FORUM MODERATOR
Member No.: 34,203

I don't see why not. I don't know anything about VW wheels specifically, but OEM wheels tend to be pretty durable. So, if you can find a set that isn't obviously damaged beyond reasonable repair (ie cracked, bent, in more pieces than it should be, etc), I think they should be fine. They should ideally have the same bolt pattern and hub bore size, and have enough spacing to accommodate your brakes and offset to fit without rubbing against anything.
Spaz
Posted: Aug 27 2015, 10:15 AM

Just a guy towing a car across the country to chase a dream.
Group Icon

Group: FORUM MODERATOR
Member No.: 30,193

VW's OEM wheels tend to hold up pretty well, you should be alright. Not sure if you have any wheel repair/refinishing businesses locally just in case, but it would be good to look up. It's usually cheaper than you'd expect.

If it helps at all, I purchased the DSG that's currently in my GLI from a salvage yard, was never tested before install but it shifts better than the one that was in the car did when I bought it.
Proud Contributor of Initial D World Forums