Initial D World - Discussion Board / Forums

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )Resend Validation Email

DJ Panel ( Server Stats )   Song History   Initial D World Chat Room (Discord)   Broadband Stream
RADIO BROADCAST » streaming at 96kbps with 6 unique listeners, playing Dave Rodgers - Space Boy

Important Rules
Buy the Arcade Stage 4 Original Soundtrack to support IDW !!
Post everything about Initial D Arcade Stage 4 here. If you want to talk about ver.1 and ver.2, please post them in the ver.1 - 2 section. For anything about ver.3, please post them in the version 3 section. Participating in flame wars will be severely punished. NO plagiarism in any case. If you are posting information (i.e. - shift points) that did not originate from this forums, by all means, give the author / source proper credit. Violator will be given a verbal warning on first offence and an actual warning thereafter.

» FORUM MODERATOR : FORUM MODERATOR

4 Pages  1 2 3 » ( Go to first unread post )

Views: 10,901  ·  Replies: 98 
> When Does a Noob "Graduate"?(:, when is a noob no longer considered a noob??
MonkeyMarc
  Posted: Jul 6 2008, 04:53 PM

-monkey behind the wheel-

Group: Members
Member No.: 29,378

hey peoples,
just wondering, in your opinion, when is a noob no longer considered a noob?
in my opinion its when he has completed the story mode at least once, figuring out how to brake properly and stuff(techniques) along the way - which means no help from others. He/She should have quite a few battles and a good win rate too smile.gif
DamienWolf
Posted: Jul 6 2008, 05:17 PM

Not Without Incident

Group: Advanced Members
Member No.: 22,878

A good win rate is not a factor for me. Because it could mean people just ram him at the start to win and its notoriously difficult to pass in ID4. When he's got a decent time and does not seem to panic on hairpins. When he starts experimenting on stuff rather than sticking to formula that he used to do. When he starts to post his time on the rankings and feel a healthy competitive spirit burning up from within.

Sounds like a damned anime.
BNR34NISMO
Posted: Jul 6 2008, 05:51 PM

IDW Prime Member

Member No.: 29,087

win rate doesnt matter at all IMO, wat if they have 100% but all of it is from noobs, or wat if they have 37% and only race ppl better than them so they can learn from them?(thats me lol). IMO battle and TA matters the most.
-ShinRei-
Posted: Jul 6 2008, 08:15 PM

The Legendary R Master

Member No.: 29,882

When the "Noob" enjoy the game more..^^
xXNICKXx
Posted: Jul 7 2008, 12:11 AM

IDW Prime Member

Member No.: 26,091

when he feels that he's no longer then noob at the arcade but that doesnt allow him to go boasting around....

look at my siggy ftw haha
Weezy
Posted: Jul 7 2008, 01:13 AM

O RLY? YA RLY.

Member No.: 27,481

If you beat me....you graduate from noob status.
JUST KIDDING.
MonkeyMarc
    Posted: Jul 7 2008, 01:48 AM

QUOTE (DamienWolf @ Yesterday at 5:17 PM)
When he starts experimenting on stuff rather than sticking to formula that he used to do.

I AGREE smile.gif
Albert Einstein: Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

People who are no longer noobs will start to experiment other techniques, such as the way they start up, or the way they brake for hairpins, happy.gif
Cappuccino, 2 sugars
Posted: Jul 7 2008, 02:01 AM

Laugh Now, Laugh Later

Member No.: 28,161

when he or she doesnt act like one anymore
RooP
Posted: Jul 7 2008, 03:19 AM

IDW Special Member

Member No.: 28,314

its a very debatable qs.

noob simply means newbie. (refer to http://www.acronymfinder.com/NOOB.html)

as the name suggests, hes new to the game thus being called a newbie or noob. However, as time goes by, he is not a newbie anymore cos hes being exposed to the game already.

thus i would prefer to brand someone as

- know how to play
- dont know how to play

simple.

cool.gif
pol_southside
Posted: Jul 7 2008, 04:40 AM

IDW Expert Member

Member No.: 27,912

^ i agree.. very simple... although i think i saw wiki define a noob as someone who did a stupid thing on a specific game...

i think to support Roop's statement further, that as time goes by, he/she is not a newbie anymore because he/she is being exposed to the game AND ABSORBING what he/she've learned...

because lets face it.. there are some people who are.... hmm... slowbro? or something like that... and there are some who are narrow-minded that would even care to listen from other people's opinion about the game and still sitting inside their freakin boxes...
Bu`DoNg
Posted: Jul 7 2008, 06:06 AM

IDW Prime Member

Member No.: 28,286

to me,

noob = ppl that still couldnt get used to the game physic yet.

Mac (SM)
Posted: Jul 7 2008, 01:25 PM

IDW Jr. Member

Member No.: 25,819

i would say when they can beat takumi on akina then you are good enought to not be a noob, i like noobs you can teach them things, that and i am a show boat
jiahao1001
Posted: Jul 8 2008, 03:17 AM

SooKooBah Fan ^.^

Member No.: 26,189

Sometimes being a noob is fun hehe i still remember the days when idas4 just came out and there i was racing Iggy (Itsuki) in my rx8... it was like COOL idas4 wow...

Nowadays in lake akina.... wall tap CRAP "force quit" try again...

Anyway it doesnt matter whether you are a noob or not either way it takes time to improve ^^
brian_infinispirit
Posted: Jul 8 2008, 11:54 AM

The Dozuki Master

Member No.: 20,372

noob, for me, is different from newbie... the latter term is used in a better way to brand someone new to something, while noob brings about negative vibes... this is a very ambiguous topic to deal with since what may be newbie-ish or noobish may not be so for others...

but with the way this thread goes, noob seems to be the same as newbie... so therefore, a "noob" is no longer one if he/she has a good grasp of the gameplay (e.g., being able to clear at least one cycle of LOTS without a loss)... and, as wolf said, he/she also feels a competitive spirit building within him/her esp. through the IR rankings...
divinity Jy
Posted: Jul 8 2008, 12:02 PM

IDW Special Member

Member No.: 23,501

QUOTE (brian_infinispirit @ Today at 11:54 AM)
noob, for me, is different from newbie... the latter term is used in a better way to brand someone new to something, while noob brings about negative vibes... this is a very ambiguous topic to deal with since what may be newbie-ish or noobish may not be so for others...

but with the way this thread goes, noob seems to be the same as newbie... so therefore, a "noob" is no longer one if he/she has a good grasp of the gameplay (e.g., being able to clear at least one cycle of LOTS without a loss)... and, as wolf said, he/she also feels a competitive spirit building within him/her esp. through the IR rankings...

I agree with you completely. I use the terms newb and noob differently. I consider a newb someone new to the game that still has a lot to learn. It's not a bad thing to be a newb. It just takes some time to get better. A noob on the other hand is used by me as a completely negative term. I base it off of someone's attitude toward the game and to the other players. Bad etiquette based on lines, attitude, and other things reflect that even if you're new or a veteran to the game, you're still an idiot.

I will consider someone not a newb when they can easily beat all LoTS computers with a stock car. But a noob can stay a noob forever.
Weezy
Posted: Jul 8 2008, 06:34 PM

O RLY? YA RLY.

You are not a noob once you know that rev-lining is essential.
sannin
Posted: Jul 8 2008, 07:35 PM

IDW Regular Member

Member No.: 15,080

in terms of idas4, i'd say one is not a noob once they can beat takumi on akina. i remember he was ridiculously hard the first couple of times. i think i had a tougher time on takumi/akina than i did on project.d/tsukuba

This post has been edited by sannin on Jul 8 2008, 07:35 PM
Weezy
Posted: Jul 8 2008, 08:04 PM

O RLY? YA RLY.

He's max stars on both maps so you do better on Tsukuba then Akina. He was easier on Tsukuba for me as well.
MonkeyMarc
    Posted: Jul 9 2008, 02:02 AM

Correct me if i'm wrong, But i thought he was 8 stars or smth on Akina, and 9 stars on Tsukuba ._.
And i think only Bunta has max stars shifty2.gif
Yeah but by the time you actually get to Tsukuba you're probably experienced, plus it has not-that-sharp-but-fun curves, and the 5 hairpins in Akina kills noobs, so people probably get owned there.(i had to block like crazy to win him the first time at Akina laugh.gif )
Weezy
Posted: Jul 9 2008, 02:12 AM

O RLY? YA RLY.

Oh yea Bunta...he has the full stars -.-'
Not everyone plays it in order.
I started out beginning with Akagi, Iro, Tsukuba, Akina, L. Akina, and Myogi in that order lol.
Bu`DoNg
Posted: Jul 9 2008, 02:55 AM

IDW Prime Member

Member No.: 28,286

lol. i didnt complete story mode b4 . pinch2.gif -___-"
Gunma's 34
Posted: Jul 9 2008, 03:29 AM

The R34's chosen one

Member No.: 27,787

NOOB level ends when you get decent times on a course...
the IR rankings might be too advance as the times are damn fast...
Maybe a couple of runs and when he/she cuts about 2-5 seconds of his/her previous time, then he/she cannot be called a noob anymore...

Does anyone know any tricks on beating 10 star Bunta on LOTS?
(just wondering since Bunta and Tak (Takumi) were called into play here)
jiahao1001
Posted: Jul 9 2008, 03:55 AM

SooKooBah Fan ^.^

just ignore him and run your best... bunta only gets obscenely fast at level 10 cos its a 3 04 which he is running... at level 1 its a 3 17 so its real easy to beat him even with wall taps and crashes
MonkeyMarc
    Posted: Jul 9 2008, 04:26 AM

Really? I am at difficulty 2 now, and the last time i tried i had him 100+m behind or smth till the 5 hairpins, and then suddenly i went too far in and my speed dropped like a freaking stock market dry.gif . Oh yeah i hardly try it cos i sorta gave up haha laugh.gif , maybe i'll set the difficulty to 0 or smth and try again one of these days laugh.gif
jiahao1001
Posted: Jul 9 2008, 05:25 AM

SooKooBah Fan ^.^

Play TA in akina till u are very sure of not hitting the walls...

Then u will realise bunta is not as godly as the anime hehe

4 Pages  1 2 3 »