Initial D World - Discussion Board / Forums

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )Resend Validation Email

DJ Panel ( Server Stats )   Song History   Initial D World Chat Room (Discord)   Broadband Stream
RADIO BROADCAST » streaming at 96kbps with 7 unique listeners, playing (Fifth Stage DS1) Daniel - Full Metal Cars

Important Rules
• Do not post any obscene material. (i.e. - nudity, explicit graphic situations ... etc.)
• Put a viewer discretion somewhere in your topic title / description when posting topic(s) that others might find offensive. (i.e. - Not Work Safe, PG13 ... etc.)

» FORUM MODERATOR : FORUM MODERATOR

2 Pages  1 2  ( Go to first unread post )

Views: 4,571  ·  Replies: 28 
> Guy Swatted In Front Of 60,000 Viewers, while playing Runescape
Falbere
  Posted: Feb 9 2015, 07:32 PM

Back from the dead, baby
Group Icon

Group: IDP Admin
Member No.: 43,254

YOUTUBE ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rn-U9S7aV6M )

Basically, he was doing a livestream then SWAT came to his house and his 10 year old brother gets pointed at by guns.
Someone did a "prank" emergency call and the police really thought the suspect was armed and dangerous.

This makes me really angry for some reason.

This post has been edited by Falbere on Feb 12 2015, 07:54 PM
Proud Contributor of Initial D World Forums
Seri
Posted: Feb 9 2015, 08:20 PM

Quirks and Features of IDW
Group Icon

Group: FORUM MODERATOR
Member No.: 40,610

This happens all the time.
Falbere
  Posted: Feb 9 2015, 09:24 PM

Back from the dead, baby
Group Icon

QUOTE (Miura Seri @ 1 hour, 4 minutes ago)
This happens all the time.

Honestly, I am shocked you said that. So in the US 10 year old kids gets a gun barrel at his face, and that happens all the time?

Oh god that is quite fucked up man, the US need to change. sad.gif
Tessou
Posted: Feb 9 2015, 10:31 PM

More NEGATIVE than a black hole
Group Icon

Group: ADMINISTRATOR
Member No.: 12,263

No, he means the practice of "swatting" happens a lot. Trolls use it rather frequently to fuck with people, and in the process waste a lot of the city's time and money to storm a house, office, whatever, and arrest an innocent person.

It is an example of trolling going too far.
Proud Contributor of IDW Forums and the Music Section Revival Project
Kerxn
Posted: Feb 9 2015, 11:03 PM

now clean your screen

Group: Advanced Members
Member No.: 3,880

Why aren't these motherfuckers in jail? What a low, scummy, shitty thing to do.
Falbere
  Posted: Feb 10 2015, 03:09 AM

Back from the dead, baby
Group Icon

QUOTE (Tessou @ 4 hours, 37 minutes ago)
No, he means the practice of "swatting" happens a lot. Trolls use it rather frequently to fuck with people, and in the process waste a lot of the city's time and money to storm a house, office, whatever, and arrest an innocent person.

It is an example of trolling going too far.

I still feel that abusing your local police line is never appropriate as a "prank", or even "trolling".
Swatting is for immature assholes who don't know the line between what is okay as a "prank".
kyonpalm
Posted: Feb 10 2015, 06:14 AM

Professional Amateur
Group Icon

Member No.: 30,882

QUOTE (Kerxn @ 7 hours, 10 minutes ago)
Why aren't these motherfuckers in jail?

I'm surprised they aren't (if they aren't). I would expect it'd be easy for the police to figure out where the prank-ers called from, even if they tried to hide it.
Proud Contributor of the Music Section Revival Project
Nomake Wan
Posted: Feb 10 2015, 09:07 AM

ShiMACHaze

Member No.: 5,394

Where's the video of it actually happening? I'm sorry, but this sort of trolling is not new, so I'd rather see the event, thanks.
APX
Posted: Feb 10 2015, 09:17 AM

Join the Empire today! Or die, rebel scum!

Member No.: 1,473

Yeah, there was a big buzz when it started going on with celebs, some who were there and some who weren't even home. Oh well, it's life.
MetalMan777
Posted: Feb 10 2015, 11:33 AM

Snooping as usual

Member No.: 32,588

Somebody got arrested lately for swatting somebody. We need to lock these people up. Lying to police, inciting panic, people who do this are dishonest scum who should be locked up. If we didn't have a military police force, this probably wouldn't happen. One day this will happen to the wrong guy, and innocent people will die.
Tessou
Posted: Feb 10 2015, 01:37 PM

Group Icon

QUOTE (Falbere @ Today, 7:09 AM)
I still feel that abusing your local police line is never appropriate as a "prank", or even "trolling".
Swatting is for immature assholes who don't know the line between what is okay as a "prank".

I don't think it was ever condoned here or anywhere else. It's a wasteful practice that lowlifes came up with "for teh lulz".
Meteor
Posted: Feb 10 2015, 01:41 PM

Were you expecting something else?

Member No.: 20,929

Somebody got arrested lately for swatting somebody.

Good to hear they're not all getting away with it. These people really do need to face some repercussions for pulling shit like this; especially in the present environment.
Tessou
Posted: Feb 10 2015, 01:55 PM

Group Icon

In the NSA era where we can track anything within a matter of minutes, nobody can really get through that sort of practice and get away with it. Even behind "seven proxies". Even using a burner phone.
Hannah
Posted: Feb 10 2015, 03:46 PM

Remember Me
Group Icon

Group: PONY FANATIC
Member No.: 8,296

This shit goes to show you that just about anyone can be a terrorist.

This post has been edited by Hannah on Feb 10 2015, 03:46 PM
Rudy
Posted: Feb 10 2015, 05:47 PM

Unregistered

(THIS POST WAS REMOVED BY REQUEST)
Falbere
  Posted: Feb 10 2015, 06:06 PM

Back from the dead, baby
Group Icon

QUOTE (Rudy @ 19 minutes, 32 seconds ago)
What about people who swat others overseas?

Why would 911 ever respond to a emergency call from anywhere not murica'
Grappler
Posted: Feb 11 2015, 07:06 AM

IDW Regular Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 38,805

I'm not sure if you really want the full technical explanation but its really a 2 part problem.

A lot of it comes down to the local police departments not having the funding, tools or training to be able to track this down on there own. You also have to remember local police depts handle these calls and they get thousands of other calls for random emergencies. Since swatting is completely random there is no good way for better equipped state/federal agencies to assist in such matters. Not to mention all of the red tape involved having mutliple agencies working together. So unless a clear pattern emerges its hard to get out in front of these sorts of things.

You also need to remember that there are a lot of tools in the world designed to anonymize web traffic so sitting at a coffee shop parking lot somewhere hidden behind various software tools is not out of reach for the average user anymore. There is a ton of ways to obfuscate the source of a call using hardware and other physical devices. For example you could have a "burner phone" setup with a local number fowarding calls that you place to it from a virtual phone on a computer across the country if you wanted to.

Anyways I digress essentially it comes down to where there is a will there is a way and the good guys are always playing catchup.
Tessou
Posted: Feb 11 2015, 01:33 PM

Group Icon

It also comes down to how much an agency wants to track somebody. We definitely have the tools to crack through whatever obfuscating methods somebody uses. Any technology you guys have out here in the public sector, the military and various intelligence agencies already have a better version of. At the NSA facility I worked at, we had entire rooms filled with personnel whose only job was to take existing software and find holes in it to apply trackers to. Out of the entire US populace, probably the only person with a device that can't be cracked is the President's phone, and that's because it was specifically built that way and only two or three people know how it was made.

Here's the easy method: are you using the internet? Yes? Then you are being tracked. No matter how well you think you're covering your tracks, you leave a fingerprint out there every time you become part of the traffic flow. There is no such thing as total anonymity. It just matters how much somebody wants to track you. A lot of supposedly uncatchable hackers have been exposed and/or brought in lately. You, John Doe Prankcaller, wherever you are, are certainly not uncatchable and will eventually be found and brought in.

Yes, a lot of police agencies are not well equipped to find these idiots if they're remotely intelligent enough not to use their house phone, but if they want it enough, they can get the assistance needed to track down and arrest the idiot responsible. If they want it, it can happen. We definitely have the resources necessary.

This post has been edited by Tessou on Feb 11 2015, 01:35 PM
Grappler
Posted: Feb 11 2015, 01:42 PM

IDW Regular Member

^ yeah thats sort of what I was trying to say its not impossible by any means and I definitely don't want it seem like that was an absolute in my previous post.

It is certainly possible part of it as you mentioned comes down to effort vs. reward, or how badly they piss someone off.
Tessou
Posted: Feb 11 2015, 01:48 PM

Group Icon

It's infuriating. The more we become connected, the more we learn how to fuck things up, and local authorities just cannot catch up fast enough due to lack of funding. If the federal govt. was heading this up, it wouldn't be as big of a problem, but they can't stretch themselves that thin.
Grappler
Posted: Feb 11 2015, 02:17 PM

IDW Regular Member

Preaching to the choir on that one.

It all falls under keeping local/city/state/federal governements seperate, none of them talk to each other and no one wants to step on anyones toes.

Tessou
Posted: Feb 11 2015, 02:26 PM

Group Icon

The feds could step in at any time and there isn't much a local government could do about it. They just don't step in. There are bigger fish to fry, I guess.
Rudy
Posted: Feb 12 2015, 10:17 AM

Unregistered

Tessou
Posted: Feb 12 2015, 11:56 AM

Group Icon

Simple. At least three programs used by intelligence agencies could find the guy within a few hours at most. VoIP is not a cloak of shadows.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ]
Rudy
Posted: Feb 12 2015, 12:25 PM

Unregistered

2 Pages  1 2