Initial D World - Discussion Board / Forums

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )Resend Validation Email

DJ Panel ( Server Stats )   Song History   Initial D World Chat Room (Discord)   Broadband Stream
RADIO BROADCAST » streaming at 96kbps with 5 unique listeners, playing Sileighty's Theme

Important Rules
• Please do NOT post knowingly false information. Violators will be issued an actual warning.
• Please do NOT copy and paste articles from other websites. Link and short description is ok, but please do not copy and paste pages of info. Violator will be issued a verbal warning.
• Do NOT post any torrents and/or links to pirated copies of software here. Violator will be issued a verbal warning.
• Discussions about illegal materials such as ROMs, WAREZ and methods of copying copyrighted materials are not encouraged in this subforum.

» FORUM MODERATOR : FORUM MODERATOR

2 Pages  1 2  ( Go to first unread post )

Views: 10,075  ·  Replies: 34 
> So my SSHD (WD Black2) gave up the ghost
Shirogane
  Posted: Aug 31 2015, 11:35 PM

SCREEEEEEECHING INTENSIFIES

Group: Advanced Members
Member No.: 17,722

And I have no idea what happened. Started my laptop up this morning only for my entire computer to freeze... And crash.

I thought, eh, probably just a regular bug, it'll restart. Laptop boots up, and.... It's stuck on boot screen. Uh....

Restarted it again, went straight for the boot menu only to find my SSHD not showing under the list. Just my external 1TB.

tl;dr, my SSHD died and it took quite a lot of data (85% of it backed up) with it.

Should I send an RMA to WD or see if I can recover my data on the HDD partition? My 128GB SSD partition's probably toast..
Nomake Wan
Posted: Sep 1 2015, 12:03 AM

ShiMACHaze

Member No.: 5,394

Are there known problems with that model? Not that I'd touch an SSHD anyway...

Anyway as long as the physical disk portion itself isn't physically damaged the data should almost entirely be recoverable. If there's physical damage, then you're stuck.

http://300dollardatarecovery.com/

Personally I don't give a crap about hardware--only about data. So I don't bother with RMAs or warranties, only with data recovery services. S'why every drive I've bought since my WD Green gave up the ghost has been through Newegg, where they offer data recovery coverage for hard drives. I recommend you do the same in the future.
Proud Contributor of IDW Forums and the Music Section Revival Project
Shirogane
  Posted: Sep 1 2015, 10:59 AM

I'm probably going to invest in an external in the future - though I already have my music collection saved on a portable 1TB with my documents uploaded to a cloud storage. I don't think I have a lot of data saved apart from some games but eh.

And to be honest, I have no idea if the physical disk is still working (though I don't hear the telltale sounds of hardware damage) - my computer recognizes the SSHD but all I get back is "USB device not recognized."

This post has been edited by Shirogane on Sep 1 2015, 11:19 AM
Nomake Wan
Posted: Sep 1 2015, 11:18 AM

ShiMACHaze

QUOTE (Shirogane @ 19 minutes, 35 seconds ago)
I'm probably going to invest in an external in the future - though I already have my music collection saved on a portable 1TB with my documents uploaded to a cloud storage. I don't think I have a lot of data saved apart from some games but eh.

And to be honest, I have no idea if the physical disk is still working - my computer recognizes the SSHD but all I get back is "USB device not recognized."

Do you hear nasty noises from the disk? Rhythmic clicking, the like? Grinding? Does it spin up then make bad noises and spin down?

All your generic error message says is that the drive controller isn't responding correctly. It not getting to the drive itself, and so that error means nothing.

EDIT: And if you get an external, buy from Newegg and get covered. wink2.gif

[ Post made via Mobile Device ]

This post has been edited by Nomake Wan on Sep 1 2015, 11:19 AM
Shirogane
  Posted: Sep 1 2015, 11:28 AM

As of yet, I never heard any nasty noises from the drive, so I can't be sure.

Edit: Ah, finally able to get it working via cable. Time to go backup my files.

This post has been edited by Shirogane on Sep 1 2015, 11:30 AM
Nomake Wan
Posted: Sep 1 2015, 11:30 AM

ShiMACHaze

You may get incredibly lucky and it's just a failure of the drive logic.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ]
Shirogane
  Posted: Sep 1 2015, 11:36 AM

Forgive me for asking, but is it alright if you can explain?
Nomake Wan
Posted: Sep 1 2015, 01:48 PM

ShiMACHaze

Sure. If you're not hearing anything abnormal from the drive itself--that is, the physical portion--then the physical disc itself (and anything that was flushed to it prior to this failure) is intact and recoverable through some sort of means. That is, the physical data is undamaged. Normally when there's physical damage there'll be a physical reaction from the drive (noise). This has been the case with all three drives I've had fail--there was noise to accompany the failure.

Without noise, it's possible that an electronic component has failed rather than the disk itself. Since when you plug it in the computer can't tell what kind of device it is, that means somewhere between the USB interface and the drive controller interface there's a communications breakdown. There is a possibility that the adapter you're using to go from SATA to USB is malfunctioning, or that the power adapter you're using to power the drive externally while using that adapter is providing incorrect/insufficient power. There is also a possibility that the drive controller itself is not providing correct information via the SATA interface.

Basically, there is a chance that it's the interface which has failed and not your data.

This post has been edited by Nomake Wan on Sep 1 2015, 01:49 PM
Shirogane
  Posted: Sep 1 2015, 08:58 PM

In short, the connection between the drive and board, yeah...?

Right now, I'm using a different HDD (original) on the laptop and it's working fine, so I don't know if it's on the drive itself..

I'll probably fit a different drive in for a second opinion just in case.
Nomake Wan
Posted: Sep 1 2015, 09:25 PM

ShiMACHaze

It's the drive. The question is whether it's physical damage or the drive controller itself. Though I don't have the drive in front of me and am going solely on the information you're providing, it sounds like something electronic has failed on the drive.
Shirogane
  Posted: Sep 1 2015, 10:05 PM

... It probably is. I can still yank data off if I connect it to an external cable, but that's just it.
Nomake Wan
Posted: Sep 1 2015, 11:00 PM

ShiMACHaze

QUOTE (Shirogane @ 54 minutes, 37 seconds ago)
... It probably is. I can still yank data off if I connect it to an external cable, but that's just it.

Wait. Wait wait wait. You're saying it does work when connected externally? blink.gif
Shirogane
  Posted: Sep 1 2015, 11:19 PM

... Yeah, with the included cable and all... Hold on.

user posted image
Image size reduced, original size: 2937 x 2203. Click here to view the image in its original dimension.

Edit: And no sooner than the moment I post, the magic trick that may have worked for me has been spirited away. Ah well, I got whatever I needed.

This post has been edited by Shirogane on Sep 1 2015, 11:21 PM
Nomake Wan
Posted: Sep 2 2015, 12:15 AM

ShiMACHaze

I don't even know whereta start witchu.
Michael_Az
Posted: Sep 3 2015, 09:32 AM

Shmuck

Group: Members
Member No.: 45,849

Hello,

I know good data recovery company which deals with such issues. If you are interested, please e-mail me at datarecoveryparts@gmail.com. Thanks.
Nomake Wan
Posted: Sep 3 2015, 10:34 AM

ShiMACHaze

Not a good way to make a first post. Tentatively reported so the administration can work it out.
Tessou

More NEGATIVE than a black hole
Group Icon

Group: ADMINISTRATOR
Member No.: 12,263

We are already aware.
Nomake Wan

ShiMACHaze

Whoops. Sorry for the report I just filed, then. laugh2.gif
Tessou
Posted: Sep 3 2015, 10:38 AM

More NEGATIVE than a black hole
Group Icon

Group: ADMINISTRATOR
Member No.: 12,263

Is cool baby
xiao
Posted: Sep 3 2015, 10:27 PM

moon bunny

Group: XIAO
Member No.: 13,323

QUOTE (Tessou @ Yesterday, 12:38 PM)
Is cool baby

I love it how we're all very ambiguously straight in the Tech Section. laugh.gif
Proud Contributor of Initial D World Forums
Shirogane
  Posted: Sep 6 2015, 12:08 AM

... Right. Carry on. I'm not here. derp.gif
xiao
Posted: Sep 6 2015, 02:58 AM

moon bunny

QUOTE (Shirogane @ 2 hours, 49 minutes ago)
... Right. Carry on. I'm not here.  derp.gif
Shirogane
  Posted: Dec 7 2015, 09:20 PM

Hey, gaiz, remember that time when my SSHD failed?

WELL, GUESS WHAT.

Two more WDs bit the dust not too long ago but in a way I'd never expect. For some strange reason, both of my drives were seen as having problems by my computers and the next thing I knew, 1.5 TBs worth of data went missing*, leaving behind empty folders and such.

I'm starting to wonder if every WD I touch ends up having a fit?

*Managed to recover things by Recuva, so not missing as I had presumed.
xiao
Posted: Dec 8 2015, 02:08 AM

moon bunny

Dang, that sucks... totally feel ya man, data's priceless~

Samsungs & Seagates have never given me any trouble. Bought a Seagate 5-Terra a couple of months ago; I've been running 50 instances of cancer~folding anime on it, dipped it in a vat of boiling coffee, and thrown it a adjacent motorists on the freeway... and it's still making me breakfast in a hadaka~apron ♥ every morning.

Last WD I had was a 1 TB, and... I think I just gave it to my little sis cause it was so slow. XD
Nomake Wan
Posted: Dec 8 2015, 05:27 AM

ShiMACHaze

QUOTE (Shirogane @ 7 hours, 57 minutes ago)
Hey, gaiz, remember that time when my SSHD failed?

WELL, GUESS WHAT.

Two more WDs bit the dust not too long ago but in a way I'd never expect. For some strange reason, both of my drives were seen as having problems by my computers and the next thing I knew, 1.5 TBs worth of data went missing*, leaving behind empty folders and such.

I'm starting to wonder if every WD I touch ends up having a fit?

*Managed to recover things by Recuva, so not missing as I had presumed.

What's going on with your motherboard? If Recuva was able to get stuff back, then that means you messed up the MFT somehow. I had that happen a grand total of once, and it was when my USB3 expansion card shorted out and took my new 4TB with it. Fortunately all the data was still there, and TestDisk was able to simply recreate the MFT. I'm sure that you could've done the same thing (and it would've taken way less time than using Recuva since you're fixing the problem rather than manually moving files around).

You sure your SATA controller isn't fucking something up?

QUOTE (xiao_la @ 3 hours, 9 minutes ago)
Dang, that sucks... totally feel ya man, data's priceless~

Samsungs & Seagates have never given me any trouble. Bought a Seagate 5-Terra a couple of months ago; I've been running 50 instances of cancer~folding anime on it, dipped it in a vat of boiling coffee, and thrown it a adjacent motorists on the freeway... and it's still making me breakfast in a hadaka~apron ♥ every morning.

Last WD I had was a 1 TB, and... I think I just gave it to my little sis cause it was so slow. XD

Fire up Gsmartcontrol on your Seagate. Check out the error registers. See how they're complete nonsense numbers? That's because Seagates don't report incremental errors the way every other hard drive on the planet does. The running theory is that they use a logarithmic function to report total errors, and because of that the function will not provide accurate values until you hit a million total seeks. That's absurd, and every other manufacturer simply gives you those values.

If you wanna read about it, here: http://www.pcreview.co.uk/threads/seagates...ibutes.4040327/

So personally, I have eradicated Seagates from my computers and use CrystalDiskInfo to monitor the disks I have. The last Seagate I had was hidden in an external and, as expected, didn't report a single issue until it spontaneously failed. Once I can afford to I'll send it out to Seagate to see if any data can be recovered from it, but I'm not holding my breath. Thanks for nothing, Seagate.

2 Pages  1 2