Initial D World - Discussion Board / Forums

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )Resend Validation Email

DJ Panel ( Server Stats )   Song History   Initial D World Chat Room (Discord)   Broadband Stream
RADIO BROADCAST » streaming at 96kbps with 6 unique listeners, playing (Fifth Stage DS2) P.Stone - Hooligans

Important Rules
• Please do NOT post knowingly false information. Violators will be issued an actual warning.
• Please do NOT copy and paste articles from other websites. Link and short description is ok, but please do not copy and paste pages of info. Violator will be issued a verbal warning.
• Do NOT post any torrents and/or links to pirated copies of software here. Violator will be issued a verbal warning.
• Discussions about illegal materials such as ROMs, WAREZ and methods of copying copyrighted materials are not encouraged in this subforum.

» FORUM MODERATOR : FORUM MODERATOR

5 Pages  « 3 4 5  ( Go to first unread post )

Views: 30,194  ·  Replies: 106 
> Best Codecs for Anime / General Purpose, Just a small discussion on codecs and filters
Nomake Wan
Posted: Feb 18 2011, 12:20 AM

ShiMACHaze

Group: Advanced Members
Member No.: 5,394

What do you mean by "the pictures?" Are you talking about the video itself?
Proud Contributor of IDW Forums and the Music Section Revival Project
Saint
Posted: Feb 18 2011, 01:18 AM

The 6th Blameless Shift

Member No.: 2,067

Yeah the video. The pictures from the video. You know, like when you watch 50MB show compared to 300MB version of the same show, the picture/image/what-you-see when-the-video-runs quality would differ rather significantly. Sorry for the confusion.

The one in MPC is choppy while WMP is smooth. Not the way the video moves (not the frame problem), but the picture/image in the video; the lines aren't smooth as illustrated in the screenshots earlier. Resolution issues perhaps? I'll look around on the settings, maybe the solution's the same with the previous sub problems.
khat17
  Posted: Feb 18 2011, 08:38 AM

IDW SIMPLETON

Member No.: 17,668

After a reinstall Satsuki works fine after a full install. Must have been Windows being it's usual self. Anyways - not sure why you're experiencing that issue Saint. Can you screenie and post your settings in MPC-HC?
khat17
  Posted: Jan 16 2012, 02:44 PM

IDW SIMPLETON

Looks like my wifi card has issues - just BSOD after typing a LONG string of stuff.........*sigh*.

Anyways - again - Happy Christmas and Merry New Year to the IDW family.

Posting about a new player on the market called PotPlayer.

http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=148745

http://www.videohelp.com/tools/PotPlayer

http://portableapps.com/node/27285

I'm thinking of making the switch to that. Tried with a test file (currently uploading) and 64bit versions of PotPlayer vs MPC-HC. Both using DXVA.

Idle PotPlayer = ~30MB
Idle MPC-HC = ~5MB

PotPlayer - Playing Test File = ~30MB
MPC-HC - Playing Test File = ~180MB

After the file is uploaded I'll edit and post the link for you to test yourself. But I like what I see so far.

Splash Player was another that looked promising, but PotPlayer is fully free and much better IMO.

PotPlayer is developed by the same person who did KMPLAYER. The development is halted on KMPLAYER and the focus is now PotPlayer.

So as it stands now, unless I need something to be a VFW decoder I don't install any codecs or even filters. For regular playback I just use MPC-HC (may be switching to PotPlayer after more tests). The video editing software that I use can open most encoded videos and if they have problems then I can use a free app like FormatFactory to do a codec or container change.

Hope the info was helpful to you all. Have a good 2012.

*EDIT*
Link to test file.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/26ztlk

This post has been edited by khat17 on Jan 16 2012, 04:15 PM
Nomake Wan
Posted: Mar 23 2012, 10:54 PM

ShiMACHaze

Member No.: 5,394

VLC 2.0.1 just got pushed to VLC users and it's quite nice. It apparently has a ton of updates including multi-core support, GPU decoding improvements and 10-bit h264 support. Good times! So how does it stack up?

Well first off, it seems that the GPU decoding stuff still needs a little work. I ran a 1080p video I downloaded from YouTube through it and it nearly locked up my machine (albeit this was because the program was allowed a higher-than-normal priority by me). Disabling the GPU decoding does mean it uses more CPU but it's only really a 15% difference. That's still 30% or less while playing 1080p files so I don't hardly notice it.

It should also be noted that running VLC as higher priority (now an option in VLC's own settings page) is not recommended, not only because it has the possibility of locking up your machine if something goes horribly wrong but also because increasing the program's priority inexplicably forces it to use only one CPU core. Returning it to normal settings restores full CPU load-balancing. I'm not sure if this is VLC's fault, Windows's fault, or a strange side-effect of using an AMD FX 4100 chip that uses the Windows 8 scheduler engine.

However, once I went back to mostly default settings (GPU decoding disabled, standard program priority, frame skip to default in both FFmpeg and Video) the program runs flawlessly. It has no problem whatsoever decoding any 1080p files I throw at it--including ones with softsubs and fancy subtitle effects like Bakemonogatari or Nyoro~n Churuya-san--and most importantly, it has no trouble at all playing 10-bit h264 files. Even files that arguably cause my usual media player to chug (looking at you, THORA's release of REDLINE) play fabulously even in the most intense visual areas (full-screen static/pixelation effects).

So honestly, while it's still not perfect--I really hope they get GPU decoding right soon--it's really, really, really good. Hell I'd easily recommend the current version of VLC for viewing any modern series. It's much simpler to install VLC than it is to install and configure something like MPC-HC with all its external filters to make things work nicely (Haali, MadVR, LAV, FFDshow, the list goes on). For ease of installation and use, and because it has not failed to play any series or clip I've thrown at it, I have to recommend VLC.

If you wanna do something fancy and external codecs/demuxers/renderers are the way to do it, then by all means spend hours tweaking MPC-HC. For the rest... give VLC a try. It really is quite nice.
Lebon14
Posted: Mar 23 2012, 11:05 PM

🎧

Member No.: 18,005

The KMPlayer v3.2 is all I need right now. Once using external subtitle processing, it's awesome smile.gif
khat17
  Posted: Feb 10 2016, 05:01 AM

IDW SIMPLETON

Bringing this thread back to life to include some information about Smart TV's and how to stream your files there.

Get this program called UMS (http://www.universalmediaserver.com/) which seems to be based of PMS (http://www.ps3mediaserver.org/) and set it up. Share your folders. If you want to watch something and it just won't play here's something to try..........

Some video files may be encoded using 10bit which won't readily play back. These have to be transcoded on the fly for you to see. As such, there is a folder that you may see in the folder you've shared called TRANSCODE. Enter that folder and play the files from within there. You may see some files with prefix/suffix added saying FFMPEG or MENCODER - this denotes which filter will try to transcode the file for you to view on your TV. Simply play the file with the different prefix/suffix and see which one works for you.

With this info, nothing will stop you from playing your videos on your SmartTV for yourself, family or friends to view your things on a larger screen.

If you don't want this hassle (and you're the one doing the encoding from BD) then use any profile that's at H.264 - 1080p or lower.

Also - I'd like to add information about the players I'm using now.

MPC-HC - https://mpc-hc.org/
VLC - http://www.videolan.org/vlc/index.html
PotPlayer - https://potplayer.daum.net/

Here are the reasons.

MPC-HC
Media Player Classic - Home Cinema has evolved from a simple player into something much more. It can play just about everything. It even plays RMVB now, which previously you needed programs called RealAlternative along with QuickTime Alternative in order to play those formats. And it supports hardware decoding. Good stuff. Persons who recall the days of H.264 when hardware decoding with your GPU saved single core CPUs from going to 100% will know how good this was. Anyways - let me not get too into kissing the backside of MPC-HC. I love it. Greatly. Has portable versions also - so no need to install.

VLC
I actually hate VLC. Not because it's a bad player, but because it has spoiled a lot of people. Then again - that's not entirely a bad thing. People would just be like "if your PC/laptop can't play it just install VLC" and it would just work. VLC has a large amount of decoders and filters built-in similar to MPC-HC. Portable versions are available. And it does one thing better than MPC-HC which is stream video from a seedbox.

PotPlayer
This is basically the updated version of KMPlayer. From what I recall it was sold and the developer started working on PotPlayer. Both are similar and KMPlayer may still be worth looking at - but I'm following the developer of the original app. You can find portable versions online, but not at the original site. You could also just extract the setup and then run the EXE for the version you downloaded - PotPlayer64.exe or PotPlayer.exe. Similar to VLC but has one thing over the others - will play broken files. Maybe not perfectly, but it will do so far better than the others.

Hopefully that helps!

5 Pages  « 3 4 5