Initial D World - Discussion Board / Forums

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )Resend Validation Email

DJ Panel ( Server Stats )   Song History   Initial D World Chat Room (Discord)   Broadband Stream
RADIO BROADCAST » streaming at 96kbps with 5 unique listeners, playing (MF Ghost OST) Do You Really Wanna Love Me - Norma Sheffield

Important Rules
1 2 3 4
Initial D Latest News
  • Initial D Fifth Stage has ended with 14 episodes. [confirmed]
  • A theatrical version of Initial D is confirmed for release in August 2014. [Official Thread]
  • UPDATES : Animax has confirmed that Final Stage will be available on its subscription-based VOD (Video On Demand) service starting May 16th, 2014. It will continue where Fifth Stage left off. Consist of a total of four episodes, Final Stage will be focusing on the long-awaited final 86 vs 86 battle between Takumi and Shinji. [confirmed]
  • UPDATES : Avex has confirmed that the New Initial D The Movie will be a trilogy. First part of the trilogy is called Legend 1 -Awakening- slated for release in theaters on August 23rd, 2014 (Japan Only) [confirmed]

Please Follow These Rules
  • Please use the spoiler tag when posting content not yet covered by anime. Violator will be issued an actual warning.
  • Please take the time to read the forums description before you start a topic. Starting topic(s) in the wrong section may result in an actual warning.
  • Use the Search function before you start a new topic. Posting a duplicated thread may earn yourself a verbal warning.
  • Read the Pinned threads before starting a new topic. Posting thread(s) about question(s) already answered in Pinned threads will result in an actual warning.

» FORUM MODERATOR : FORUM MODERATOR

Views: 6,131  ·  Replies: 17 
> Should I bother watching Fifth Stage?, Just looking for some information.
Frosty
  Posted: Mar 17 2014, 03:09 AM

Shmuck

Group: Members
Member No.: 43,164

So as the title says, I'm wondering if I should bother buying Fifth Stage when it gets dubbed as I haven't seen it yet because it's not dubbed. I'm a newcomer to Initial D having just started watching it a couple months ago and I was immediately hooked on it.

I bought stages 1 - 4 and while I fell that stage 1 was the best of them all and stage 3 is my favourite, stage 4 kind of felt like it wasn't the same show as to me it felt like the quality went downhill fast. (No pun intended tongue.gif)

It seems like the only character interaction now is how the guys at the gas station complain how they don't have a girlfriend every episode and I know it's a show about racing, but it switched it's focus too much on the racing with not enough on the characters. So does stage 5 get any better and is it worth the watch?
Seri
Posted: Mar 17 2014, 06:45 AM

Quirks and Features of IDW
Group Icon

Group: FORUM MODERATOR
Member No.: 40,610

Quite frankly, no. It's even worse in terms of character interaction. As in, there is none.

Plus, there probably isn't going to be a dub. First - Fourth Stage didn't do too well here (I blame it's original release in the US for that.) and Fifth Stage didn't do well in Japan.

If you're going to watch it, the Ryosuke race in episodes 9-11 are about all that's worth it, in my opinion.
Proud Contributor of Initial D World Forums
THE_HONDA_CG2
Posted: Mar 17 2014, 06:52 AM

Patient Zero

Group: Advanced Members
Member No.: 37,947

Fifth Stage was poorly paced with cardboard cutouts as characters. I don't think its ever going to get an official release here in the states so don't count on a dub. I enjoyed the soundtrack and the races when they lasted more than 5 minutes and extended past one episode. I say if you have time, watch it. But if you have better things to do, then do those things first. If you do watch it though, remember to go in not expecting much; that way, you're not utterly disappointed.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ]
Chidoki
Posted: Mar 18 2014, 09:22 PM

Fictional Compiler

Member No.: 3,699

To complete a collection its still a buy or a watch. For high hopes...nope...don't overhype it and just be prepared for low expectations. Of coarse our opinions are just our opinions like mentioned, but many of us are disappointed.
sideways
Posted: Mar 19 2014, 08:54 PM

We're the People's Front of Judea!

Member No.: 1,355

What these guys said. Personally, short of Ryosukes escapades, there were zero memorable moments in 5th stage. Not a single "Omg that was awesome!" for me anywhere. And tbh, I didn't even really like ryousukes race, it was more or less just "oo hes racing".
CaesarT
Posted: Mar 19 2014, 11:00 PM

IDW Member

Member No.: 42,737

If you think 4th stage wasn't worth buying, then don't buy 5th stage. In your situation, I would buy it so I would have a complete set. But to answer the question in your title, yes watch it.

Phantom_R32
Posted: Mar 21 2014, 01:13 PM

Trust me, I'm a doctor.

Member No.: 1,277

I honestly had to force myself through 5th Stage. I didn't even want to watch Keisuke's last race just because I knew how boring it was in the manga. 4th Stage at least has some memorable moments like the lidless gutter hop, Takumi vs. Tomo, Takumi vs. Bunta and Keisuke vs. Hoshino. 5th Stage has nothing. I guess Ryosuke's race could be considered memorable, but it's pretty weak compared to all the other memorable races in the series.

5th Stage in general just seemed like a rush job with a low budget. They cut out a lot of the character interactions that were in the manga. They even cut out certain important things too. Like what happened to Takumi's opponent in the first race.

This post has been edited by Phantom_R32 on Mar 21 2014, 01:13 PM
Seri
Posted: Mar 23 2014, 04:26 PM

Quirks and Features of IDW
Group Icon

Group: FORUM MODERATOR
Member No.: 40,610

I want to add to my other statement. You should probably read the manga chapters for the Ryosuke race as well, because they cut a few, in my opinion, major things from it in the anime.

Like all of Fifth Stage, really.

Proud Contributor of Initial D World Forums
Venny503
Posted: Mar 24 2014, 04:02 AM

IDW Expert Member

Member No.: 42,095

It's boring, but I watched it weekly. Watch the first ep, Kaori episodes, and like 13 & 14. That'll be enough for Final Stage.

Also, they took Yuichi out, which sucks.
kyonpalm
Posted: Mar 24 2014, 11:35 AM

Professional Amateur
Group Icon

Group: ADMINISTRATOR
Member No.: 30,882

QUOTE (Venny503 @ 7 hours, 33 minutes ago)
Also, they took Yuichi out, which sucks.

They took everything interesting out.
Proud Contributor of the Music Section Revival Project
Frosty
  Posted: Mar 24 2014, 03:28 PM

Shmuck

Member No.: 43,164

Thanks for all the replies you all gave! tongue.gif

And I figured as much, I guess I was really only looking for opinions but it's a shame something so good went to something so bad, but at least I'll save myself some money and not buy it. Unfortunately I don't watch subbed anime as I prefer to watch my shows and not read them but if it even does get dubbed, which it seems like it probably won't I can save myself the disappointment.

Another question though, is the way the story ended because of how the author may have been getting bored of writing Initial D and just wanted it to end or was he truly running out of ideas? It just seems strange how someone could let what is basically their life work for almost 2 decades go off on a low note.

Anyone know anything about that?
ddragon1234
Posted: Mar 24 2014, 06:47 PM

Shmuck

Member No.: 25,540

^My guess is that it wasn't Shigeno's decision to end the series, or at least he wasn't happy about it. Given how big Initial D is as a franchise, I wouldn't be surprised if there was some disagreement with licensors/publishers and Shigeno got the short end of the stick, leading him to rush/half-ass the ending. Maybe they even lost the rights to draw cars from certain companies?
BOZZ
Posted: Mar 25 2014, 01:17 AM

IDW Posts A Freaking LOT Member

Member No.: 1,414

QUOTE (ddragon1234 @ 6 hours, 29 minutes ago)
^My guess is that it wasn't Shigeno's decision to end the series, or at least he wasn't happy about it. Given how big Initial D is as a franchise, I wouldn't be surprised if there was some disagreement with licensors/publishers and Shigeno got the short end of the stick, leading him to rush/half-ass the ending. Maybe they even lost the rights to draw cars from certain companies?

I would probably place it on the guy just being fed up of working on it, you can tell with the drop in quality of the story after the Purple Shadow races that he just wasn't as enthusiastic about working on the series anymore.
Animefreak1983
Posted: Mar 25 2014, 11:05 AM

IDW Full Member

Member No.: 38,152

QUOTE (Frosty @ Mar 17 2014, 03:09 AM)
So as the title says, I'm wondering if I should bother buying Fifth Stage when it gets dubbed as I haven't seen it yet because it's not dubbed. I'm a newcomer to Initial D having just started watching it a couple months ago and I was immediately hooked on it.

I bought stages 1 - 4 and while I fell that stage 1 was the best of them all and stage 3 is my favourite, stage 4 kind of felt like it wasn't the same show as to me it felt like the quality went downhill fast. (No pun intended tongue.gif)

It seems like the only character interaction now is how the guys at the gas station complain how they don't have a girlfriend every episode and I know it's a show about racing, but it switched it's focus too much on the racing with not enough on the characters. So does stage 5 get any better and is it worth the watch?

I personally think people are to hard on fifth stage. Sure it was flawed and some of the races left me feeling let down . But there's still some interesting aspects. That make it worth it. I actually still enjoyed it. Some episodes not so much. But still decent .
Venny503
Posted: Mar 26 2014, 03:21 PM

IDW Expert Member

Member No.: 42,095

Well, if you want a dub, I just made a 30-second dub, Tokyopop style. I'm planning on remaking the whole "real drift" part Tokyopop style.

YOUTUBE ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WyXkNf9ZRlw )
kyonpalm
Posted: Mar 26 2014, 03:28 PM

Professional Amateur
Group Icon

Group: ADMINISTRATOR
Member No.: 30,882

QUOTE (Venny503 @ 7 minutes, 19 seconds ago)
Well, if you want a dub, I just made a 30-second dub, Tokyopop style. I'm planning on remaking the whole "real drift" part Tokyopop style.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WyXkNf9ZRlw

Please let me bear your children.
Proud Contributor of the Music Section Revival Project
THE_HONDA_CG2
Posted: Mar 27 2014, 07:42 AM

Patient Zero

Member No.: 37,947

QUOTE (Venny503 @ Yesterday, 4:21 PM)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WyXkNf9ZRlw

Swagalicious? This is genius! If you need female voices then I'll be able to pitch in and help you out!

r35gtr
Posted: Nov 19 2015, 09:21 PM

IDW Expert Member

Member No.: 46,063

QUOTE (Frosty @ Mar 17 2014, 03:09 AM)

if you are a fan you are a fan, so get the fifth stage. there is a Ryoske story line too