Initial D World - Discussion Board / Forums

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )Resend Validation Email

DJ Panel ( Server Stats )   Song History   Initial D World Chat Room (Discord)   Broadband Stream
RADIO BROADCAST » streaming at 96kbps with 3 unique listeners, playing Speedman - Speed Lover

3 Pages  1 2 3  ( Go to first unread post )

Views: 7,008  ·  Replies: 66 
> Question regarding 6th gear and Reverse.
JaeMok
Posted: Oct 26 2009, 02:53 PM

IDW Special Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 32,771

QUOTE (Joey12 @ Yesterday, 10:18 PM)
Ok basically I just got my first ever manual car for a birthday present. Plus the car never came with a book.

Damn. Treat that car well. Not everyone gets a sweet ride like that for their birthday. wink2.gif

This post has been edited by JaeMok on Oct 26 2009, 02:54 PM
DeeezNuuuts83
Posted: Oct 26 2009, 03:24 PM

IDW Goldmember

Group: Advanced Members
Member No.: 25,374

I believe that the STI's shifter has a ring that you have to pull up on to go into reverse
djmisio85
Posted: Oct 26 2009, 03:48 PM

IDW Prime Member

Member No.: 23,346

QUOTE (DeeezNuuuts83 @ 23 minutes, 12 seconds ago)
I believe that the STI's shifter has a ring that you have to pull up on to go into reverse

Yeah, thats what I was thinking blink.gif It has a little ring at the bottom of the knob which you pull up and then you can engage reverse...

Either way, even if the OP was in 5th gear, I dont think at a 5th gear speed, it would be too easy to engage reverse anyway....

DeeezNuuuts83
Posted: Oct 27 2009, 09:56 AM

IDW Goldmember

Member No.: 25,374

On any modern car, it's damn near impossible to accidentally shift into reverse from any forward gear near it. Reverse is locked out, and you have to drop the shifter into neutral before you can access reverse.
MattW
Posted: Oct 27 2009, 10:38 PM

VOLVO For Life.

Member No.: 23,273

QUOTE (Midnight Drifter @ Oct 26 2009, 08:56 AM)
Never heard of that. But seriously, that makes no sense at all.

96% of all motor vehicles are automatic anyways, so what does it matter? All rental cars are auto, nearly all non-performance vehicles (and some performance cars like the R35 Skyline and the Veyron) are auto and even school buses and some large trucks these days are all automatic. What's the point in having a 'manual license' if only 1 out of 24 vehicles - if THAT - is automatic?

That's only in the USA.

Everywhere else it's the complete opposite.
Rudy
Posted: Oct 28 2009, 09:08 PM

Unregistered

(THIS POST WAS REMOVED BY REQUEST)
chillined
Posted: Oct 29 2009, 04:22 PM

IDW Goldmember

Member No.: 23,552

QUOTE (Midnight Drifter @ Yesterday, 9:08 PM)
Oh please, one of my neighbors got an Escalade ESV for her graduation present, complete with 26" wheels. rolleyes.gif

Lucky spoiled brats. I have to actually work for my first car.
WRX DEMON Type R
Posted: Oct 29 2009, 05:20 PM

IDW Posts A Freaking LOT Member

Group: Banned
Member No.: 3,276

Hey, it's not his fault his folks bought him his first car for his birthday.

Not like you wouldn't buy your kid his or her first car if you had the dough. My Japanese buddy's parents bought him his GTR. And not the fugly new one, they bought him a freaking R34. They even payed for his cars when he lived in the U.S. - Toyota Supra (the latest one), Mustang Cobra (I think a 2000's model), thing is, he made up for it by studying hard at University (Cal state) and now has a masters in psych and probably going to get a sweet ass job pretty soon.

Sure I'm jealous. Sure I had to work for all 3 (well, I've had 3, but currently have only 2 - one in Canada and one in Japan - and technically the one in Canada is my father's car - since thats what it says on all the registration papers... Even though I pay for everything >< ) of my cars (and I still am on modifying them and such) - and I made it through university with a car too. Just makes us guys who work for our cars appreciate and enjoy them a tad bit better than people who get cars handed to them. Those of you who have had a car handed to you might deny this, but you've never experienced working for a car, so you'll never know the truth.

If I had the dough, I'd definitly buy someone I loved a new car. Of course though, it would be as a reward for say, getting into a prestigous university or something along those lines. I'd want my kids to focus on studying, knowing that daddy will buy them a shiny new car when they get out of University and have an awesome career. cool.gif

djmisio85
Posted: Oct 29 2009, 06:53 PM

IDW Prime Member

Member No.: 23,346

QUOTE (WRX DEMON Type R @ 1 hour, 32 minutes ago)
Hey, it's not his fault his folks bought him his first car for his birthday.

Not like you wouldn't buy your kid his or her first car if you had the dough. My Japanese buddy's parents bought him his GTR. And not the fugly new one, they bought him a freaking R34. They even payed for his cars when he lived in the U.S. - Toyota Supra (the latest one), Mustang Cobra (I think a 2000's model), thing is, he made up for it by studying hard at University (Cal state) and now has a masters in psych and probably going to get a sweet ass job pretty soon.

Sure I'm jealous. Sure I had to work for all 3 (well, I've had 3, but currently have only 2 - one in Canada and one in Japan - and technically the one in Canada is my father's car - since thats what it says on all the registration papers... Even though I pay for everything >< ) of my cars (and I still am on modifying them and such) - and I made it through university with a car too. Just makes us guys who work for our cars appreciate and enjoy them a tad bit better than people who get cars handed to them. Those of you who have had a car handed to you might deny this, but you've never experienced working for a car, so you'll never know the truth.

If I had the dough, I'd definitly buy someone I loved a new car. Of course though, it would be as a reward for say, getting into a prestigous university or something along those lines. I'd want my kids to focus on studying, knowing that daddy will buy them a shiny new car when they get out of University and have an awesome career. cool.gif

Haha, I agree on all those points apart from one....

If I was to reward my child with a car, I would buy them a cheap simple car..... so that they could learn to drive properly. And God forbid, if they did crash it, then it wouldnt be a big deal.... as opposed to crashing an STi or an Escalade laugh.gif

Then, by the time they have learned to drive well, they will already be earning enough money to buy their own car and not suck off their parents lol laugh.gif

WRX DEMON Type R
Posted: Oct 29 2009, 07:34 PM

Well, of course, I'll probably make them buy a cheap beater on their own to get around and learn how to drive.
chillined
Posted: Oct 29 2009, 07:36 PM

IDW Goldmember

Member No.: 23,552

QUOTE (WRX DEMON Type R @ 2 minutes, 33 seconds ago)
Well, of course, I'll probably make them buy a cheap beater on their own to get around and learn how to drive.

You know that video of that kid with the SRT4 that almost dies? This is exactly what causes that. Spoiled kids getting way too fast cars for their sake.
Tessou
Posted: Oct 30 2009, 02:07 AM

More NEGATIVE than a black hole
Group Icon

Group: ADMINISTRATOR
Member No.: 12,263

To those that suggested reading the owner's manual: that will not teach somebody how to drive, let alone drive a stick shift.

You can't worry about accidentally dropping the car into reverse instead of 6th because the transmission will not allow you to put it into reverse above anything higher than 5mph. I've actually TRIED to do this when I was testing an RSX-S. That car had a short throw shifter which would make the fear of accidentally putting it into reverse a lot heavier. It's impossible. Try as I might, the car would not let me put the shifter into reverse instead of 6th.

It will do that on a 5 speed as well. My 300ZX had a hard enough time getting into reverse even when I was STOPPED. tongue.gif
Proud Contributor of IDW Forums and the Music Section Revival Project
Kiroshino
Posted: Oct 30 2009, 04:57 AM

IDW Goldmember
Group Icon

Group: FORUM MODERATOR
Member No.: 34,203

My parents helped me pay for my first car, though I make all of the other payments (gas, insurance, maintenance). My second car is all me.

I think no matter the income level, new drivers should buy their own cars (unless they swap with their parent's) and pay for everything on their own. At least for me, it helped teach me the value of money: How long would it take to buy ________ working at my current wage? Can I really afford the total ownership cost? Do I really want it, or can I live without it? If I really want it, what should I be doing to get to it sooner? This is a lesson everyone should learn in my opinion.
Shafz.
Posted: Oct 30 2009, 05:32 AM

IDW Regular Member

Member No.: 27,024

Kiroshino, I couldn't agree with you more. Although my first car was a present from my parents, and my second one was just my dad's old car, when saving up for the BMW, its then that I realised the true importance of value for money, I didn't NEED a BMW, I was perfectly happy with the Passat I had at the time, it was just a WANT, then my working circumstances became better and I could afford the BMW and bought it all cash. I had to factor in many costs, insurance, running costs for the year, road tax etc. And because I was given a perfectly good Passat beforehand, I was unaware of how long and hard it was to save up for a car. I'm now saving for my next car though so watch this space.

To OP: You're hella lucky to have an STi has your first car, Its one of my dream cars but I don't think I'll ever get one. PLEASE don't wreck it. Its easy to get used to the 6 speed, and as mentioned beforehand It's nigh on impossible to engage reverse by accident when driving at town speeds, or a speed where you'd need to downshift to 1st/2nd or if your reverse gear is the other side, when shifting into 6th.

Shafz.
Bubs
Posted: Oct 30 2009, 05:12 PM

Plep

Member No.: 1,079

Oh man, what I would do for a WRX STI. You'll get a hang of the manual transmission soon enough. Take good care of it. wink2.gif
M3D1C
Posted: Oct 30 2009, 05:19 PM

Minister Of Health

Member No.: 2,578

yeah, about it being a joke.. nah, I had bought a 04 Mazda rx-8 in manual to force myself to learn, of course I could have gotten a junker so I didn't mess it up, but Im a quick learner and pretty much got it down the drive back from where I had purchased it (60 miles) you have to eagle death grip it and push down to get into reverse.
Möbius
Posted: Oct 31 2009, 07:00 AM

IDW Top Poster

Member No.: 3,524

QUOTE (Tessō @ Yesterday, 5:07 AM)
To those that suggested reading the owner's manual: that will not teach somebody how to drive, let alone drive a stick shift.

OP asked about 6th gear and the possibility of putting it into reverse by accident, not how to drive stick.

I do agree that the manual will not teach someone how to drive stick, but at the same time, I would think that RTFM applies in this case.

Proud Contributor of Initial D World Forums
WRX DEMON Type R
Posted: Oct 31 2009, 07:02 AM

^ Actually, the manual WILL indicate the proper shift points for his car.

Edit: So it sorta does teach how to drive manual... pinch2.gif

This post has been edited by WRX DEMON Type R on Oct 31 2009, 07:02 AM
Möbius
Posted: Oct 31 2009, 07:05 AM

IDW Top Poster

QUOTE (WRX DEMON Type R @ 3 minutes, 32 seconds ago)
^ Actually, the manual WILL indicate the proper shift points for his car.

Edit: So it sorta does teach how to drive manual... pinch2.gif

Doesn't say anything about clutch bite point, feathering, etc. or any practical skills that are needed to drive manual.

And the "proper shift points" are for granny driving. laugh.gif
WRX DEMON Type R
Posted: Oct 31 2009, 07:09 AM

(you want some dude who's parents bought him his first car, and an STi at that... to NOT granny drive?!).
Möbius
Posted: Oct 31 2009, 07:11 AM

IDW Top Poster

QUOTE (WRX DEMON Type R @ 2 minutes, 18 seconds ago)
(you want some dude who's parents bought him his first car, and an STi at that... to NOT granny drive?!).

Did you ever try the shift points the manual gives you? tongue.gif

They're almost low enough so the engine lugs... >_<
WRX DEMON Type R
Posted: Oct 31 2009, 07:23 AM

(actually... when i was first learning on my first impreza... I did...)
zomgpow
Posted: Oct 31 2009, 09:00 AM

IDW Expert Member

Member No.: 33,866

And I thought AWDs aren't good first cars?
WRX DEMON Type R
Posted: Oct 31 2009, 05:13 PM

Never heard that before, but I sorta agree and disagree.

I think AWD's are sweet for learning manual - everyone I know who's ever learned how to drive manual on AWD have reported back that when switching over to a 2wd, they can shift super smoothly - even I have experience when I drove a relative's modded out (more like riced out) Honda Accord (manual). I was shifting smoothly and actually impressing him - since I had less driving experience than he did and was able to shift much better on his car than he did (that or he sucks at driving. LOL).

I also think that AWD's are a tad dangerous for beginners - especially in adverse weather - IF the beginner lets the idea of "AWD" get to their head. I've had a couple of experiences where my belief that AWD will get me through anything came back and bit me in the ass. The second time it happened, I learned my lesson and bought my car snow tires. LOL - that and eased up when driving in adverse conditions - instead of driving like a wannabe rally driver.

There are pros and cons.

Oh and also, the fact that awd uses more parts could mean a costly repair bill in case a beginner does something so incredibly stupid that it can somehow result in front diff/center diff or rear diff repair.

My true first car was my father's 1996 Automatic Dodge Neon. I love that car to bits. I learned how to drive on it, AND I learned how to do repairs on it. My suggestion to any beginner looking to JUST learn to drive (not race or drift or whatnot) is to pick up a nice FWD car auto or manual. Just learn to drive first - then, then get into all that racing shizz when you're experienced.
Fast
Posted: Oct 31 2009, 10:12 PM

IDW Goldmember

Member No.: 23,986

QUOTE (DeeezNuuuts83 @ Oct 26 2009, 04:24 PM)

That. It's the only way to get into reverse.

An STI (of any year) is ****load of car for a newbie to manual transmission. I suggest not doing any significant power modifications until you do some auto-x sessions.

I see that you have an '07, the year where many cars had engine trouble due to the absolute **** factory tune (this problem persists to the current model year as well). A Cobb Accessport Stage 1 flash will pretty much cure it though. And please don't be a ricer and put a BOV on it. It won't do jack squat and if you do, get a tune for it first.

Go here for the all the information you can possibly want:

http://www.iwsti.com/forums/

This post has been edited by Fast on Oct 31 2009, 10:22 PM

3 Pages  1 2 3