Initial D World - Discussion Board / Forums

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )Resend Validation Email

DJ Panel ( Server Stats )   Song History   Initial D World Chat Room (Discord)   Broadband Stream
RADIO BROADCAST » streaming at 96kbps with 6 unique listeners, playing (WMMT3 OST) Phantom Of Blue

Views: 8,561  ·  Replies: 8 
> Itsuki vs Iketani
Initial D World
    Posted: Jan 21 2014, 04:30 AM

IDW Facebook Fanpage

Group: Staff
Member No.: 37,931

Support casts are just as important as the main protagonists in a series like Initial D. That's one of the main reasons why one can never get tired of First Stage and quickly find Fifth Stage dull and repetitive.

Earlier storylines like Initial D First Stage focus a lot on side characters, whereas later stages tend to have this repeating pattern of battle after battle. The opponents are so two dimensional we can't even relate to or care about them. In that regard, Fourth Stage managed to inject many side stories while keeping a steady flow of the storyline.

It was a breath of fresh air when we get to see Itsuki finally fulfilled his dream of putting a bolt-on turbo on his 85. He is probably the slowest and the most unskillful driver in Initial D, but somehow we can relate to him the most. He may be getting way over his head sometimes, but that heart of enjoying driving is true.

So today we are going to focus on the side characters. And the question of the day is, if Itsuki and Iketani were to race each other on Akina downhill full speed, who do you think would win? Itsuki will be of course driving his turbo 85, pushing 150 hp. And Iketani will be driving his beloved Silvia S13, with a bit more than 160 hp.

But if you have even watched one episode of Initial D, you would know that horsepower means next to nothing going full speed downhill. Who will you put your bet on? Tell us your reasons!

(Special thanks to Tessou for this idea.)

| Sources |
» Screenshots from Initial D Fourth Stage ACT.7「嵐のハチゴーターボ」"Eight-Five’s Thunderous Turbo"

user posted image
Image size reduced, original size: 1600 x 1278. Click here to view the image in its original dimension.
Dr.Ift
Posted: Jan 21 2014, 07:31 AM

Request Title - PM Mods

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,105

I believe Iketani's S13 Silvia (which at least has a CA18DET) has more then 130hp. Maybe more like 160-170 at least. And I believe Iketani would beat Itsuki in terms of driving skills, mainly because his performance in the battle against two guys from Tokyo.
shadow55419
Posted: Jan 21 2014, 10:29 AM

Meteor's partner in crime!

Group: Advanced Members
Member No.: 39,000

I can honestly say I'm not sure, they're both shown to improve quite a bit through the series. I'd probably lay my money on Iketani though, don't really know why but just feels right.
Perry
Posted: Jan 21 2014, 02:04 PM

Like an eagle!
Group Icon

Group: SITE OWNER
Member No.: 1

QUOTE (Dr.Ift @ 6 hours, 32 minutes ago)
I believe Iketani's S13 Silvia (which at least has a CA18DET) has more then 130hp. Maybe more like 160-170 at least. And I believe Iketani would beat Itsuki in terms of driving skills, mainly because his performance in the battle against two guys from Tokyo.

Sorry about that. It was editorial error. It's fixed now. pinch2.gif
Proud Contributor of the Music Section Revival Project
THE_HONDA_CG2
Posted: Jan 21 2014, 10:38 PM

Patient Zero

Member No.: 37,947

QUOTE (shadow55419 @ Today, 11:29 AM)
I can honestly say I'm not sure, they're both shown to improve quite a bit through the series. I'd probably lay my money on Iketani though, don't really know why but just feels right.

I'm on you with that one. In terms of skills, I think they've equally grown and improved drastically. But in terms of characters and how much I like them... I like Iketani better and I think he would win because he is the number one driver of the SpeedStars.
Banken
Posted: Jan 22 2014, 05:20 AM

IDW Goldmember

Member No.: 22,465

Iketani would blow Itsuki out of the water... he's been driving three years longer and has a vastly better car. He also has a better-paying job and can afford to practice more, buy better tires, etc.

Itsuki's car is poorly tuned (too much turbo lag for the HP) and isn't set up properly (no LSD, knockoff dampers and springs). And he's just now mastered heel and toe, which is literally the most basic of basic techniques.
kyonpalm
Posted: Jan 22 2014, 05:23 AM

Professional Amateur
Group Icon

Group: ADMINISTRATOR
Member No.: 30,882

QUOTE (Banken @ 3 minutes, 11 seconds ago)
Iketani would blow Itsuki out of the water... he's been driving three years longer and has a vastly better car. He also has a better-paying job and can afford to practice more, buy better tires, etc.

Itsuki's car is poorly tuned (too much turbo lag for the HP) and isn't set up properly (no LSD, knockoff dampers and springs). And he's just now mastered heel and toe, which is literally the most basic of basic techniques.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who realizes just how much this isn't even a contest.
Proud Contributor of the Music Section Revival Project
Smiley_DC2
Posted: Jan 23 2014, 05:58 PM

Akagi's LanEvo Killer

Member No.: 1,751

yep going with Iketani on this one too, in Extra Stage 2 when he was racing to meet Mako his technique seemed to be pretty decent

... and then he blew his tyre whistling.gif
DamienWolf
Posted: Jan 23 2014, 09:20 PM

Not Without Incident

Member No.: 22,878

QUOTE (Banken @ Jan 22 2014, 09:20 PM)

Agreeing mostly on this one. Still, as we know, anything can still happen in a race. I dont remember how many times but if you count the number of mistakes, at least on the course of the manga and anime (accidents, spin-outs), Iketani has the most. As long as he doesnt drive complacently or is over-eager on corners, this should be a walk in the park.