Initial D World - Discussion Board / Forums

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )Resend Validation Email

DJ Panel ( Server Stats )   Song History   Initial D World Chat Room (Discord)   Broadband Stream
RADIO BROADCAST » streaming at 96kbps with 4 unique listeners, playing DJ Pikachu_Fragger's Total Control Geass CM2

Views: 2,939  ·  Replies: 11 
> rotary engine, read plz
DarkKnight47
  Posted: Nov 21 2002, 08:44 PM

IDW Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 74

can any1 describe to me what exactly a rotarty engine is??? [i.e. FD or FCs]
happy.gif biggrin.gif smile.gif
karasac
Posted: Nov 21 2002, 09:56 PM

Rotary Disciple

Group: Advanced Members
Member No.: 11

now this would be my area of expertice biggrin.gif

well basically instead of pistons, connecting rods and camshaft, it uses 2 triangular rotors and an eccentric shaft.

the rotors move around the eccentric shaft which then goes to the tranny.

well since a picture is worth a thousand words check out :
http://www.howstuffworks.com/rotary-engine.htm

its got a ton of pics on how it works.

ROTARYS RULE!!
Jayson
Posted: Nov 22 2002, 10:10 AM

IDW Posts A Freaking LOT Member

Member No.: 32

Don't you also love how you can get 200hp+ out of a 1.3 litre engine?
bunta_boi
Posted: Nov 22 2002, 10:40 AM

Billy Jean is not my lover ...

Member No.: 68

damn that was sooo helpful...i was going to ask the question myself about rotary engines...but im still confused....the part about 270 degree revolution and stuff....??? i dont get it
breeze
Posted: Nov 22 2002, 12:10 PM

IDW Member

Member No.: 92

I was at the Mazda Dealership yesterday... happily, the Rx8 has fixed the "heat spots" problem that plagued the Rx7 should be interesting to see how it does sales wise, compared to the new Z.
karasac
Posted: Nov 22 2002, 12:56 PM

Rotary Disciple

QUOTE (bunta_boi @ Nov 22 2002, 06:40 PM)
but im still confused....the part about 270 degree revolution and stuff....??? i dont get it

its just saying that the rotor is powerd by a single combustion for 270 degrees.
karasac
Posted: Nov 22 2002, 01:08 PM

Rotary Disciple

QUOTE (breeze @ Nov 22 2002, 08:10 PM)
I was at the Mazda Dealership yesterday... happily, the Rx8 has fixed the "heat spots" problem that plagued the Rx7 should be interesting to see how it does sales wise, compared to the new Z.

the "hot spots" only plagued the US 3rd gen rx7, due to the twin turbos and the US emmisions laws restricting the exhast flow. the japanese 3rd gen was not plagued by the "hot spots".

i think the dealership didnt know what it was talking about, the rx-8 is NA while the 3rd gen was turbo, due to a combination of twin turbo and the US emmisions laws was the cause to the "hot spots", the 2nd gen exhibited no such "hot spots". the way they solved the "hot spot" problem in the rx-8 is by making it NA.

and the rx-8 is gonna be mazda's "affordable-sports-car". if the rx-8 does well then they will bring back a redesigned rx-7 as their "true sports car".
]{aya
Posted: Nov 23 2002, 09:15 AM

Old HOT PINK Schmuck

Member No.: 47

the advantage of the rotary is that, there is merely no parts moving exept the piston, in a cylinder engine a lot of parts are moving, but the rotary is also a fragile engine, and its expensive
karasac
Posted: Nov 23 2002, 05:50 PM

Rotary Disciple

QUOTE (]{aya @ Nov 23 2002, 05:15 PM)
but the rotary is also a fragile engine, and its expensive

actually the first and second gen rx-7(the 3rd gen had problems cuz of the twin turbo) was praised for its reliability, it is just more susceptible to neglect, and its not really expensive, only has 3 moving parts.
vtecstyl3z
Posted: Nov 23 2002, 06:22 PM

United States Marine Corps

Member No.: 4

the rx-6 kicks ass. thats a really bad azz car. i can say. and that site is really funny man. hahaha www. how stuff works .com rofl rofl rofl..!!! who would thought of that. but is a nice site tho !!! anyone know any web site for essays? hahaha that would be tight if ya know one.
Neo Vash
Posted: Nov 23 2002, 06:55 PM

IDW Expert Member

Member No.: 98

The Rotary is a good engine, but its hard to find a good mechanic who "actually knows what thier doing". At least it is hard to find one where i live. wink2.gif
breeze
Posted: Nov 26 2002, 11:25 AM

IDW Member

Member No.: 92

QUOTE (vtecstyl3z @ Nov 23 2002, 06:22 PM)
the rx-7 kicks ass. thats a really bad azz car. i can say. and that site is really funny man. hahaha www. how stuff works .com rofl rofl rofl..!!! who would thought of that. but is a nice site tho !!! anyone know any web site for essays? hahaha that would be tight if ya know one.

Howstuffworks.com is a great site. maybe some people could learn how their vaunted Vtec engines actually work... wink2.gif