Initial D World - Discussion Board / Forums

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )Resend Validation Email

DJ Panel ( Server Stats )   Song History   Initial D World Chat Room (Discord)   Broadband Stream
RADIO BROADCAST » streaming at 96kbps with 7 unique listeners, playing DJ Pikachu_Fragger's Total Control Geass CM1

Important Rules
• Please do NOT post knowingly false information. Violators will be issued an actual warning.
• Please do NOT copy and paste articles from other websites. Link and short description is ok, but please do not copy and paste pages of info. Violator will be issued a verbal warning.
• Do NOT post any torrents and/or links to pirated copies of software here. Violator will be issued a verbal warning.
• Discussions about illegal materials such as ROMs, WAREZ and methods of copying copyrighted materials are not encouraged in this subforum.

» FORUM MODERATOR : FORUM MODERATOR

Views: 4,214  ·  Replies: 6 
> The GTX 1000 series.
RalliKai
  Posted: Sep 14 2016, 05:55 AM

IDW Goldmember

Group: Advanced Members
Member No.: 3,607

So looking to begin building a new rig in the coming months. I was looking at the GTX 970 until the version I was looking became discontinued on newegg and suddenly the price seemed to shoot up for many of the 970s. blink.gif

Now looking closely at the 1070 and was very curious if anyone else has had experience with any of them and what their opinion was?

This post has been edited by RalliKai on Sep 14 2016, 01:47 PM
Nomake Wan
Posted: Sep 14 2016, 06:30 AM

ShiMACHaze

Member No.: 5,394

No personal experience, but after hounding the benchmarks and seeking out benchmarks of how it performs in VR in the few games I'm interested in, the 1070 will be my next card as soon as I can afford it. Thankfully, they've come back down to retail cost and are actually in stock now!

However, be aware that the 'amazing gains' that nVidia showed off as being a core component of the GTX 1000 series are not yet available anywhere, because as per usual they are proprietary nVidia APIs that games need to either patch in or bake in in order to take advantage of those potential gains. So if you're getting this for VR because of the wonderous technologies shown in the keynote, just realize that they don't exist in the real world...yet. Nor is there any guarantee that game creators will adapt those technologies.

Ignoring VR, I normally game at 1920x1200, and the GTX 1070 across benchmarks did well to remain well above 60 FPS in that scenario. The GTX 1060 had occasional dips, and while of course the GTX 1080 did amazingly it's also almost twice the price. So, for me, the 1070 is the perfect middle-ground to replace my aging GTX 760. smile.gif
Proud Contributor of IDW Forums and the Music Section Revival Project
Shirogane
Posted: Sep 15 2016, 11:55 PM

SCREEEEEEECHING INTENSIFIES

Member No.: 17,722

I'll have to agree with N1's statement regarding "amazing gains" after building a system for someone and installing an EVGA GTX 1070 (YMMV as it is a custom PCB, but it's my personal favorite) + getting first-hand experience with the new 10 series cards.

While NVidia has touted that the 10 series will perform marginally better than the flagship Maxwell GPUs (i.e. 900 series), not a lot of games utilize the new features yet. I'd say wait a while (how long, well, I'll leave that up to guesswork) before you bite the bullet for the 10x0 cards.

Apart from that, I'll still sing praise for the 1070 as it's able to hang with the flagship 980 and I'll definitely buy a 1070 for myself. I might consider a 1080 if I'm willing to splurge a bit, but... Where the heck can I find an EVGA 1080 FTW unit locally?

Edit: derp, one of these days, I really need to fix my sleep schedule. derp.gif I forgot to put the picture of the ol' 1070!

user posted image
Image size reduced, original size: 3264 x 2448. Click here to view the image in its original dimension.

This post has been edited by Shirogane on Sep 16 2016, 12:54 AM
Nomake Wan
Posted: Sep 16 2016, 11:37 AM

ShiMACHaze

Member No.: 5,394

Oh, yes, if you've already got a GTX 970, 980, or 980 Ti then don't bother with the 1000-series unless games start taking advantage of the new APIs. However, if you're several generations behind and looking for a new card (like I am with my GTX 760), then it's a good investment.
Proud Contributor of IDW Forums and the Music Section Revival Project
Shirogane
Posted: Sep 16 2016, 01:00 PM

Pff. I'm already getting an upgrade to a 10 series card after being stuck with an AMD box for five years. I'll probably build it in the same exact machine - or maybe in a bigger configuration.
RalliKai
  Posted: Sep 22 2016, 07:26 AM

IDW Goldmember

Member No.: 3,607

This would be a clean build as much of my previous graphics card experience are quite dated or the very underwhelming Intel graphics.

Thanks for the input.

This post has been edited by RalliKai on Sep 22 2016, 07:26 AM
Shirogane
Posted: Oct 6 2016, 09:45 AM

Slight bump, but if overclocking's your thing, then read on. If not, you can still enjoy the GTX 1070 regardless.

If you recently bought a 10-series card (preferably 1070s) (link), you might want to make sure it has Samsung memory - or if you're patient (like I am, otherwise my system would be sold by now), wait for a driver release by NVidia/your board manufacturer. At least it's not as bad as the 970 brouhaha from before.

TL;dr, Just another NVidia problem by putting on Micron memory on a board meant for Samsung. Not a huge drawback but YMMV.

This post has been edited by Shirogane on Oct 6 2016, 01:09 PM