Initial D World - Discussion Board / Forums

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )Resend Validation Email

DJ Panel ( Server Stats )   Song History   Initial D World Chat Room (Discord)   Broadband Stream
RADIO BROADCAST » streaming at 96kbps with 10 unique listeners, playing (Fifth Stage Sound File) THE SHADOW

Views: 8,933  ·  Replies: 7 
> Engine question for Subaru people, Crankshaft bolt on an automatic?
Tygur
  Posted: Apr 7 2013, 08:59 PM

Request Title - PM Mods

Group: Members
Member No.: 40,507

So I've got to get into changing the timing belt. Not really an issue except I've never had to remove a crank bolt on an automatic. I've checked all over the web. Do I really have to jam something in the flywheel teeth? I've heard horror stories about breaking them that way. Worst case to get it off, Breaker bar resting on ground and tap starter, but to get it back on? Any wise tips? Wish I could just go at it like the others and drop it in 5th gear. *sigh* All the other autos I've changed timing belts on were beat to the point of not having a timing cover at all so I didn't have to remove it lol.

EDIT: Its a '96 2.2L SOHC 16v EJ22, non-interference according to Subaru, but I think they are all pretty close anyway.

This post has been edited by Tygur on Apr 7 2013, 09:02 PM
Nomake Wan
Posted: Apr 8 2013, 02:39 AM

ShiMACHaze

Group: Advanced Members
Member No.: 5,394

Sadly I never had to remove that part on either of my Subarus (both were autos) but since the transmission is a 4EAT it's too bad you can't just engage the cruise control to do it. That transmission has a lockup torque converter.
Proud Contributor of IDW Forums and the Music Section Revival Project
Rudy
Posted: Apr 8 2013, 07:43 AM

Unregistered

(THIS POST WAS REMOVED BY REQUEST)
Tygur
  Posted: Apr 8 2013, 08:07 AM

Request Title - PM Mods

Impact guns make everything easier. Wish I had one.
Spaz
Posted: Apr 8 2013, 08:18 AM

Just a guy towing a car across the country to chase a dream.
Group Icon

Group: FORUM MODERATOR
Member No.: 30,193

I agree on the starter trick, I've always done that with a breaker bar wedged against the ground on my cars.
Proud Contributor of Initial D World Forums
RedsunsF1
Posted: Apr 8 2013, 09:28 AM

Nasa UT | FF FK8

Group: Advanced Members
Member No.: 38,401

There are many tricks. I had to have my friend who is an expert with Subaru help me change the belt, I wouldn't dare touch it. We actually put my car in 3rd gear with me slamming on the brakes for him to pull it off with a breaker bar. We would of used a air tool since I had my ac delete and no radiator installed at the moment but I don't have any air tools sadly..

This post has been edited by FC_spec on Apr 8 2013, 09:32 AM
Tygur
  Posted: Apr 8 2013, 01:41 PM

Request Title - PM Mods

Yeah thats basically how I did the Z and Xterra. Put it in 5th with the emergency brake on and it won't budge a single mm. Want air tools so bad but a good compressor cost more than my car.
Lena01
Posted: Oct 20 2017, 01:37 AM

Shmuck

Member No.: 49,011

Subaru Japanese pronunciation: is the automobile manufacturing division of Japanese transportation conglomerate Subaru Corporation (formerly known as Fuji Heavy Industries (FHI)), the twenty-second largest automaker by production worldwide in 2012.
Subaru cars are known for the use of a boxer engine layout in most vehicles above 1500 cc. Most Subaru models have used the Symmetrical All Wheel Drive drive-train layout since 1972. The flat/boxer engine and all-wheel-drive became standard equipment for mid-size and smaller cars in most international markets by 1996, and is now standard in most North American market Subaru vehicles. The lone exception is the BRZ, introduced in 2012, which uses the boxer engine but instead uses a rear-wheel-drive structure. Subaru also offers turbocharged versions of their passenger cars, such as the Impreza WRX and the Legacy 2.5GT. The 2.0XT trims of the Outback and Forester also include a turbocharged engine.

(USER WAS WARNED FOR THIS POST)
  - Details: Warning has been issued to this post by Tessou on Oct 20 2017, 10:15 AM.
  - Reasons: WATCHA GONNA DO, BROTHER, WHEN TESSAMANIA AND THE 24 INCH PYTHONS RUN WILD ON YOUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU