Initial D World - Discussion Board / Forums

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )Resend Validation Email

DJ Panel ( Server Stats )   Song History   Initial D World Chat Room (Discord)   Broadband Stream
RADIO BROADCAST » streaming at 96kbps with 8 unique listeners, playing m.o.v.e - Free ZION

Views: 2,541  ·  Replies: 18 
> Power!, And knowing when you need more of it.
DigiBunny
  Posted: Jan 5 2010, 05:55 AM

Reading is magic!

Group: Advanced Members
Member No.: 30,700

So with my current car, a sedan E100 Corolla with a 20v silvertop, I feel that I'm doing nicely on the racetrack. Not perfect, mind, but nice enough to catch up to and out-corner the meddley of STi's and Evos that are content with blowing me by on the straightway that immediately follows the corners.

This leaves me in a rather irritating situation. I would like to be able to keep up with someone's car on the straightway as well, though not before I fine tune my cornering to the best it can be with what I'm driving. My first thought was to start building up raw power, but then other things such as weight reduction, better tires, and of course, technique, came to mind. I think I'll spare my engine the rigors of a forced induction system until I need one.

So I'd like to ask the more knowledgeable crowd how to judge if I'm ready for more power. What I should be doing at by then, How I should be doing it, and any small but overlooked things I should add to the car, etc.
WRX DEMON Type R
Posted: Jan 5 2010, 06:09 AM

IDW Posts A Freaking LOT Member

Group: Banned
Member No.: 3,276

I wish I could give you some real advice, but in my case, the only reason im saving up to swap an STi motor (and drivetrain) into my gc is because the stock engine is dying.

Hey, have you posted pics of your ride in the member rides section? I'd like to see it.

This post has been edited by WRX DEMON Type R on Jan 5 2010, 06:09 AM
Möbius
Posted: Jan 5 2010, 06:50 AM

IDW Top Poster

Member No.: 3,524

QUOTE (DigiBunny @ 55 minutes, 0 seconds ago)
So with my current car, a sedan E100 Corolla with a 20v silvertop, I feel that I'm doing nicely on the racetrack. Not perfect, mind, but nice enough to catch up to and out-corner the meddley of STi's and Evos that are content with blowing me by on the straightway that immediately follows the corners.

Either they are playing with you, or they can't drive at all. What's your suspension setup and what tires are you running?
Proud Contributor of Initial D World Forums
Spaz
Posted: Jan 5 2010, 08:16 AM

Just a guy towing a car across the country to chase a dream.
Group Icon

Group: FORUM MODERATOR
Member No.: 30,193

You're ready for more power when you can't pick up any more time in the corners. Basically, once your suspension and brakes are as set up as they're going to get and you're still not happy with the car.
Möbius
Posted: Jan 5 2010, 08:18 AM

IDW Top Poster

QUOTE (cmspaz @ 1 minute, 51 seconds ago)
You're ready for more power when you can't pick up any more time in the corners. Basically, once your suspension and brakes are as set up as they're going to get and you're still not happy with the car.

He is already outbraking and outcornering STi's and Evo's so I think he's pretty well off in that department...

I can't wait for him to post his suspension and tire info. cool.gif
MetalMan777
Posted: Jan 5 2010, 01:34 PM

Snooping as usual

Member No.: 32,588

I don't want to make a moot point out of your quest for handling perfection, but if you add forced induction to your engine, that'll have an effect on handling. Turbos shift your torque curves in crazy directions, and where a certain amount of throttle might have given you the limit of grip before won't necessarily after you add some boost. My advice is give yourself power now, ready or not, and then adapt.

This post has been edited by Cactus on Jan 5 2010, 01:35 PM
flohtingPoint
Posted: Jan 5 2010, 03:57 PM

IDW Banned Member

Member No.: 1,944

QUOTE (Apex Carver @ 9 hours, 6 minutes ago)
Either they are playing with you, or they can't drive at all. What's your suspension setup and what tires are you running?

^ This.

You have to be on a track with a large assortment of complete morons if you outperform either of those cars in any aspect. He could be on Hoosier R6's and rocking custom valved dampeners and still get run into the ground by those vehicles.

My advice; Get another car. The car you have now is perfect for getting to work or picking up some toothpaste at the drug store. If you're getting semi-serious regarding track driving, you'll need something more formidable.

This post has been edited by flohtingPoint on Jan 5 2010, 03:58 PM
peemyTNBow
Posted: Jan 5 2010, 06:52 PM

Unregistered

Sell your car and buy a Porsche GT3 Cup car.

Problem solved.
WRX DEMON Type R
Posted: Jan 5 2010, 06:53 PM

IDW Posts A Freaking LOT Member

Member No.: 3,276

Perhaps the best advice in this thread ^

Close now please.
DigiBunny
  Posted: Jan 6 2010, 01:12 AM

Reading is magic!

I think I was misunderstood. What I'm trying to do right now is , before I move up on power, I'd like to squeeze out what I can from the car as it is now; a little like Takumi before the Trueno's engine went kaputz.

Lining is definitely better than the majority of the beginner-class drivers on the track, and I dont bother braking for some corners. I'm not sure if any of the cars I mentioned above are restricted because of their weight, or it's simply driver misconception.

As for Tires and Suspension, to the best of my knowledge my tires are all seasons with emphasis on dry driving, and suspension's stock. By now the Tires are pretty worn, so we're going to get them changed. Preferably with something stickier. The wheels are aluminum.

YOUTUBE ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OcLl3r33JLM )
Would be the car in question. Taken on my first lesson in racing, and I've moved on since then. My father's teaching me as I go along, and is the one who modifies the car as my knowledge in that field barely skims the surface at best.

If he was able to outrun an R-35 on that same track with my dinky little box on wheels as it is now, then I'm doing it wrong.
TTH
Posted: Jan 6 2010, 06:50 AM

IDW Regular Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 27,213

Rev it more! I see you're changin up in 6k rpm when Silvertop revs to 8k. Use more gears, 4A-GE has the grunt in high rpms and use more throttle in those little straights between corners. Also with gears, you should try to come out of corners with more revs like 5-6k rpm, now it's 3k rpm and 4A-GE is pretty lifeless below 5k.

This post has been edited by TTH on Jan 6 2010, 06:51 AM
Möbius
Posted: Jan 6 2010, 07:02 AM

IDW Top Poster

As for Tires and Suspension, to the best of my knowledge my tires are all seasons with emphasis on dry driving, and suspension's stock. By now the Tires are pretty worn, so we're going to get them changed. Preferably with something stickier. The wheels are aluminum.

Everything as stockies?

I don't think you can gain much from more power...

Outrun an R35?

What did the R35 do, drive backwards? tongue.gif

DigiBunny
  Posted: Jan 6 2010, 07:19 AM

Reading is magic!

^^
Notice how I'm also not rev matching right after the big long straight, and how I stay in 3rd for almost all of the runs.

I'm being taught in increments. Lining came first, after that braking and acceleration. Engine control is going to come as soon as I'm consistent with my runs and I start using trail braking.
-----
^
Not everyone who drives a GTR is actually GOOD at it, for the record. It was passed at the third corner with the decreasing radius, bout a lap after it started.
-----

I'm unsure as to how else I'm supposed to improve my suspension. Care to clarify that?
I still use the car as a DD, so I cant have it behaving too raceriffic in the middle of Manila traffic.
Möbius
Posted: Jan 6 2010, 07:59 AM

IDW Top Poster

QUOTE (DigiBunny @ 39 minutes, 49 seconds ago)
^^
Notice how I'm also not rev matching right after the big long straight, and how I stay in 3rd for almost all of the runs.

I'm being taught in increments. Lining came first, after that braking and acceleration. Engine control is going to come as soon as I'm consistent with my runs and I start using trail braking.
-----
^
Not everyone who drives a GTR is actually GOOD at it, for the record. It was passed at the third corner with the decreasing radius, bout a lap after it started.
-----

I'm unsure as to how else I'm supposed to improve my suspension. Care to clarify that?
I still use the car as a DD, so I cant have it behaving too raceriffic in the middle of Manila traffic.

I'm not going to profess to be an expert at FWD Toyota econoboxes, but almost anything must surely be better than stock suspension setup.
flohtingPoint
Posted: Jan 6 2010, 08:27 AM

IDW Banned Member

Member No.: 1,944

QUOTE (DigiBunny @ 1 hour, 8 minutes ago)
^^

-----
^
-----

If you're a beginner, none of your concerns matter. Learn how to drive first, then worry about everything else.
djmisio85
Posted: Jan 6 2010, 08:58 PM

IDW Prime Member

Member No.: 23,346

QUOTE (DigiBunny @ Today, 1:12 AM)

Thats not a very good answer.

What tyres are you running....? Go take a look at your tyres, and read what it says on the side.... rolleyes.gif

But I will assume that they are just normal everyday Joe Bloggs tyres....

In which case, get some decent tyres, like Yokohama Advans, Bridgestone Potenzas, Dunlop Direzzas , Toyo Proxes.... etc, etc, etc....

This should make a world of difference to the cornering of your car.

The best modification I have made to my car, has been going from normal tyres, to sports tyres.... give it a try, you might be surprised wink2.gif
Spaz
Posted: Jan 6 2010, 09:53 PM

Group Icon

My car went from unpredictable understeer to almost oversteering just by adding an inch of rubber and shortening the sidewalls. Tires do amazing things.

I'm seriously excited for when I get hardcore summers in the spring. The car will never let go...

This post has been edited by cmspaz on Jan 6 2010, 09:53 PM
Möbius
Posted: Jan 7 2010, 06:12 AM

IDW Top Poster

QUOTE (cmspaz @ 8 hours, 18 minutes ago)
My car went from unpredictable understeer to almost oversteering just by adding an inch of rubber and shortening the sidewalls. Tires do amazing things.

I'm seriously excited for when I get hardcore summers in the spring. The car will never let go...

Eventually it will, with later warning than regular summer tires. laugh.gif
Spaz
Posted: Jan 7 2010, 09:01 AM

Group Icon

Oh, believe me, with the camber I'm running, they've already stopped talking before the back end snaps. laugh.gif

I need camber plates.