Initial D World - Discussion Board / Forums

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )Resend Validation Email

DJ Panel ( Server Stats )   Song History   Initial D World Chat Room (Discord)   Broadband Stream
RADIO BROADCAST » streaming at 96kbps with 1 unique listeners, playing Shouri

Important Rules
• Please do NOT post knowingly false information. Violators will be issued an actual warning.
• Please do NOT copy and paste articles from other websites. Link and short description is ok, but please do not copy and paste pages of info. Violator will be issued a verbal warning.
• Do NOT post any torrents and/or links to pirated copies of software here. Violator will be issued a verbal warning.
• Discussions about illegal materials such as ROMs, WAREZ and methods of copying copyrighted materials are not encouraged in this subforum.

» FORUM MODERATOR : FORUM MODERATOR

6 Pages  « 2 3 4 5 6  ( Go to first unread post )

Views: 27,067  ·  Replies: 139 
> Looking for opinions on Windows 10
sushiyummy32
Posted: Jan 1 2016, 03:41 PM

DotA Kiwi

Group: Members
Member No.: 45,824

QUOTE (xiao_la @ 43 minutes, 26 seconds ago)
D'awww thanks dude!!(´・ω・`)

It'll certainly save me a hundred bucks I'd rather spend on illegal substances for my favourite Kiwi~roll... >:3

Also, it's onii-chan not senpai dangit!! derp.gif

http://kmspico10.com/
It might be this one onii-chan~~
But 4/54 on virustotal soo use at your own risk https://www.virustotal.com/en/file/e84f9e06...1e7b2/analysis/
Nomake Wan
Posted: Jan 1 2016, 05:17 PM

ShiMACHaze

Group: Advanced Members
Member No.: 5,394

Trial mode is legitimate. It is fully-functional and does not bother about a key. When the trial runs out you just run it again (I have a script that does it for me). There is no annoyance with keys, and best of all it is not a crack or hack so you use a normal untouched Windows 7 disc. No games, no Microsoft shafting you later.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ]
Proud Contributor of IDW Forums and the Music Section Revival Project
BOZZ
  Posted: Jan 1 2016, 11:04 PM

IDW Posts A Freaking LOT Member

Member No.: 1,414

QUOTE (Nomake Wan @ 5 hours, 47 minutes ago)
Trial mode is legitimate. It is fully-functional and does not bother about a key. When the trial runs out you just run it again (I have a script that does it for me). There is no annoyance with keys, and best of all it is not a crack or hack so you use a normal untouched Windows 7 disc. No games, no Microsoft shafting you later.

Interesting, I'm surprised Microsoft hasn't gotten around to closing that kind of a hole, not that I complaining about it, just interesting they haven't fixed it.
Sensation!
Posted: Jan 2 2016, 02:53 AM

As expected of country grown vegetables
Group Icon

Group: Special Snowflake
Member No.: 19,520

QUOTE (BOZZ @ 3 hours, 49 minutes ago)
Interesting, I'm surprised Microsoft hasn't gotten around to closing that kind of a hole, not that I complaining about it, just interesting they haven't fixed it.

MS doesnt care.

Well, that's a lie, they probably do care. But the majority of the money MS makes comes from volume licenses to businesses and OEMS.

Thousands of joe-schmos using oddly licensed versions of windows does minimal damage to MS. It would financially hurt MS more to spend the resources to try and go after them.
Thus we have products like W10 and the so called 'spying' updates of 8.1 and 7.
Big data is where all the money is, MS is smart to know that. Why go after pirates when you can use them to make money for you? Hence why W10 is 'free' and why MS is so aggressive in pushing you to upgrade.

Google does the same exact thing with android.

MS lately really wants a piece of Google's pie. I'm more than okay with two companies competing in big data rather than having just one company dominate it all...

Having none would be best, but we're way past that stage now, it's far too late.

This post has been edited by Sensation! on Jan 2 2016, 02:54 AM
sushiyummy32
Posted: Jan 3 2016, 09:54 PM

DotA Kiwi

GODDAMN XIAO WHY IS EVERYTHING ON THE DESKTOP.
sushiyummy32
Posted: Jan 4 2016, 12:14 AM

DotA Kiwi

5376 x 3024

WHAT ARE YOU TAKING PHOTOS WITH ohmy.gif
SgtXDNX
Posted: Jan 4 2016, 12:55 AM

Goddamn Electric

Member No.: 23,073

QUOTE (sushiyummy32 @ 40 minutes, 47 seconds ago)
5376 x 3024

WHAT ARE YOU TAKING PHOTOS WITH ohmy.gif

My camera pops out JPEGs at 5184 x 3456, it's not that strange a size.
Proud Contributor of Initial D World Forums
Nomake Wan
Posted: Jan 4 2016, 02:23 AM

ShiMACHaze

>Edge is actually a good browser

How do you define 'good', exactly? blink.gif
Tessou
Posted: Jan 4 2016, 10:16 AM

More NEGATIVE than a black hole
Group Icon

Group: ADMINISTRATOR
Member No.: 12,263

How is Edge better than Explorer when they are one and the same?

"I use Bing as my default search engine."
user posted image
khat17
Posted: Jan 21 2016, 07:16 PM

IDW SIMPLETON

Member No.: 17,668

Let's see if I can jump in. I know that someone (N1 tongue.gif) will probably give more details but let's see if I can make it simple.

As you all know, Windows was a poor attempt by M$ to get a GUI since other companies (Apple) had one. They succeeded in taking over the world by better marketing. Not better programming. Not that I like Apple considering they're basically using a customized version of Linux and selling it at ungodly rates...........

Anyways.

Before NT while there were bugs these were manageable. As the move towards cloud computing and data mining became more prevalent things eventually gave birth to 10.

N1 will tell you how Vista/7 are the same under the hood - but from a user perspective they're very different. The overall user eXPerience is different tongue.gif.

Windows 10. Overall not a bad OS. Problems would be............
  1. Gathers your data whether you like it or not.
  2. Is basically a virus on your system if you read through all of N1's prior posts.
  3. Isn't backward compatible with some hardware/software.
  4. Has issues with some hardware.
  5. Has some driver issues
The data gathering and "virus on your system" is taking it a bit far - but truthfully it does collect "anonymous usage data" and send back to M$ for them to put you in a box and file if someone needs your info. If you have some older hardware - unlike 7 that may just not install it - 10 will plain not show the device in the device manager. There are issues with wireless - as said before it's mostly the manufacturer of the device that's at fault - but since more things are available for the older OSes it's probably better to stick with those.

There's my 2 cents. Hopefully it will make things easier. Did they improve on it? Yes. Is it perfect? No. As for the previous Linux reference - which distro did you use and had problems with your graphics driver? And you are aware that unless you're using SteamOS or something else with WINE/Cedega you can't game on Linux right?
BOZZ
  Posted: Jan 22 2016, 05:40 AM

QUOTE (khat17 @ Yesterday, 11:16 PM)
Let's see if I can jump in. I know that someone (N1 tongue.gif) will probably give more details but let's see if I can make it simple.

As you all know, Windows was a poor attempt by M$ to get a GUI since other companies (Apple) had one. They succeeded in taking over the world by better marketing. Not better programming. Not that I like Apple considering they're basically using a customized version of Linux and selling it at ungodly rates...........

Anyways.

Before NT while there were bugs these were manageable. As the move towards cloud computing and data mining became more prevalent things eventually gave birth to 10.

N1 will tell you how Vista/7 are the same under the hood - but from a user perspective they're very different. The overall user eXPerience is different tongue.gif.

Windows 10. Overall not a bad OS. Problems would be............
  1. Gathers your data whether you like it or not.
  2. Is basically a virus on your system if you read through all of N1's prior posts.
  3. Isn't backward compatible with some hardware/software.
  4. Has issues with some hardware.
  5. Has some driver issues
The data gathering and "virus on your system" is taking it a bit far - but truthfully it does collect "anonymous usage data" and send back to M$ for them to put you in a box and file if someone needs your info. If you have some older hardware - unlike 7 that may just not install it - 10 will plain not show the device in the device manager. There are issues with wireless - as said before it's mostly the manufacturer of the device that's at fault - but since more things are available for the older OSes it's probably better to stick with those.

There's my 2 cents. Hopefully it will make things easier. Did they improve on it? Yes. Is it perfect? No. As for the previous Linux reference - which distro did you use and had problems with your graphics driver? And you are aware that unless you're using SteamOS or something else with WINE/Cedega you can't game on Linux right?

Jeez, the more I hear the story of "Windows 10 is like a virus", the less I want to even try to play around with it... I'll be honest part of the rationale of asking for other people's opinions on Windows 10 was to try it out, but thankfully N1's posts and a few others have convinced me otherwise...

As for the bit about Apple, they've given away their OS for free for at least 2-3 years now, since 2013 I think? Even when they sold their OS, it was quite a bit cheaper than what Microsoft was charging for Windows upgrades.

As far as I remember, Apple's Mac OS X isn't a customized version of Linux, it's not based on Linux, it's actually based on Unix (which Linux is also based on) and BSD.
khat17
Posted: Jan 22 2016, 07:40 AM

IDW SIMPLETON

Member No.: 17,668

That's why I said "basically" - the thing is that I could probably say the price was justified when they had the Motorola stuff in use, but now they're using Intel like everyone else - no reason their things have to be so bloody expensive. Unless it's the customer service/support that you're paying for.
Nomake Wan
Posted: Jan 22 2016, 08:46 AM

ShiMACHaze

QUOTE (xiao @ 33 minutes, 4 seconds ago)
Another annoying quirk with Windows 10 I've had is...

I have to keep readjusting the volume because after a song is played on either a browser or a player, the following song sounds about 10 decibels higher than what it should. A simple draging up or down of the volume bar at the bottom right hand corner does the trick, but it's super annoying as ferk when you're listening to a playlist... not even Windows 8.1 had this irky problem. sad.gif
BOZZ
  Posted: Jan 22 2016, 08:01 PM

QUOTE (khat17 @ Yesterday, 11:40 AM)
That's why I said "basically" - the thing is that I could probably say the price was justified when they had the Motorola stuff in use, but now they're using Intel like everyone else - no reason their things have to be so bloody expensive. Unless it's the customer service/support that you're paying for.

Hehe, true, I remember one of my profs when I was back in University had said Mac OS X was in between Windows and Linux, in that it had a lot more software and support like Windows and the underlying security and technologies of Linux/Unix.
Möbius
Posted: Feb 3 2016, 05:48 PM

IDW Top Poster

Member No.: 3,524

Heads up in case anyone didn't see it yet, but Microsoft is set to move Windows 10 from an "Optional" update to a "Recommended" update.

It basically means that depending on the users' Windows Update settings ( i.e. default of “Give me recommended updates the same way I receive important updates” ) and running Windows 7 or later, Windows 10 would download and install as an automatic update!
Proud Contributor of Initial D World Forums
kyonpalm
Posted: Feb 3 2016, 05:50 PM

Professional Amateur
Group Icon

Group: ADMINISTRATOR
Member No.: 30,882

QUOTE (Möbius @ 1 minute, 57 seconds ago)
Heads up in case anyone didn't see it yet, but Microsoft is set to move Windows 10 from an "Optional" update to a "Recommended" update.

It basically means that depending on the users' Windows Update settings ( i.e. default of “Give me recommended updates the same way I receive important updates” ) and running Windows 7 or later, Windows 10 would download and install as an automatic update!

Important PSA for those who don't turn automatic updates completely off, but then, who in their right mind wouldn't?
Proud Contributor of the Music Section Revival Project
Nomake Wan
Posted: Feb 3 2016, 06:57 PM

ShiMACHaze

A shocking number of our members.

Anyway, to Xiao who said Edge is a good browser, it's been outed as saving your browsing history when you use its private browsing mode. It even flags the history as having been from private browsing so everyone knows it.

Source: http://betanews.com/2016/01/30/stop-using-...e-your-privacy/

Posted: Feb 3 2016, 07:17 PM

Hiretsuna rōjin

Member No.: 16,670

QUOTE (Möbius @ 1 hour, 28 minutes ago)

thank you very much for the warning Möbius. i usually check the important updates that i'll chose before i it the update button. i got another thing i need to watch out for now.

they havent yet changed my windows 10 options but im just getting 3 optional updates onto my Windows 7. i dont believe im running the default option for windows 7 update.

i just changed the update settings to check for updates but give me the option when and which to download.

does that say the choice for "give me recommended updates the same way i receive important updates" being checked as yes will automatically put windows 10? if so ive just removed the check mark.

This post has been edited by 207 on Feb 3 2016, 07:28 PM
Nomake Wan
Posted: Feb 3 2016, 08:03 PM

ShiMACHaze

It will only do it automatically if you have Windows Update set to install/download automatically. If you have it set to off or check-only you're fine but need to review the updates to make sure you're not installing one related to 10.

Posted: Feb 3 2016, 08:13 PM

Hiretsuna rōjin

QUOTE (Nomake Wan @ 9 minutes, 29 seconds ago)
It will only do it automatically if you have Windows Update set to install/download automatically. If you have it set to off or check-only you're fine but need to review the updates to make sure you're not installing one related to 10.

thank you very much for the reply Nomake Wan.

under important updates: i changed the default (1st choice) update setting to "check for updates but let me choose whether to download and install them".

under recommended updates: i removed the check mark for the option
"give me recommended updates the same way i receive important updates"
not sure if this would make a difference but im erring on the side of caution atm.

i'll need to check my parents PC for the options to avoid getting windows 10 on their PC too. they're running W7 and they dont want W10 at all either.

This post has been edited by 207 on Feb 3 2016, 08:15 PM
Nomake Wan
Posted: Feb 4 2016, 12:56 AM

ShiMACHaze

QUOTE (207 @ 4 hours, 43 minutes ago)
under recommended updates: i removed the check mark for the option
not sure if this would make a difference but im erring on the side of caution atm.

I have this checked, actually. Since I have it set to check-only it's not a problem.
Posted: Feb 4 2016, 07:45 AM

Hiretsuna rōjin

QUOTE (Nomake Wan @ 6 hours, 48 minutes ago)
I have this checked, actually. Since I have it set to check-only it's not a problem.

thank you very much Nomake Wan. i just restored the option

this thread has been very helpful to me. i dont intend to switch to windows 10 anytime soon so anything to delay their tactics or OS options helps me out alot.
Sensation!
Posted: Feb 4 2016, 07:49 AM

As expected of country grown vegetables
Group Icon

Group: Special Snowflake
Member No.: 19,520

I have a very strong feeling that the "upgrade to windows for free" period that Microsoft set (which was supposed to be a year, should end this june) will be repealed and 10 will be a permanent free upgrade..

BOZZ
  Posted: Feb 4 2016, 02:52 PM

QUOTE (Möbius @ Yesterday, 9:48 PM)

Any word on when that'll happen?
Nomake Wan
Posted: Feb 4 2016, 03:06 PM

ShiMACHaze

QUOTE (BOZZ @ 14 minutes, 23 seconds ago)
Any word on when that'll happen?

It already has. That was the change on Patch Tuesday.

6 Pages  « 2 3 4 5 6