Initial D World - Discussion Board / Forums

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )Resend Validation Email

DJ Panel ( Server Stats )   Song History   Initial D World Chat Room (Discord)   Broadband Stream
RADIO BROADCAST » streaming at 96kbps with 9 unique listeners, playing (WMMT3 OST) Black Pressure

Views: 3,775  ·  Replies: 11 
> [FANFIC] The Year of the Dragon, By W.D.
WRX DEMON Type R
  Posted: Dec 7 2006, 07:32 PM

IDW Posts A Freaking LOT Member

Group: Banned
Member No.: 3,276

Alright, folks, this is my first fanfic, so yeah. Easy with the comments or I'll have your throats!!! mad.gif

Anyhoo, here, let's start:

The Year of the Dragon
By W. D. wink2.gif

Note: Almost all events and characters in this story are fiction. Almost. Some of the stuff in this fanfic is based on my life. Some places and character names have been changed for privacy reasons.

Chapter 1 - Awakening

End of the fall 20XX - The neighborhood of Daleville in Toronto Ontario - Canada.

The 3:15pm school bell at Daleville Highschool Collegiate Institute rings, a flood of students eager to get home, go to the mall, cause mischeif, or go to an afterschool job come out from the front doors of the school, above the doors it reads the school's name. The amount of heads that flow past reminds on-lookers and by passers of livestock being rushed out and into their pens. Some students run to their parents cars, others wait for the local transit and yet some more walk home, being lucky enough to live near the school.

At the back of the school, a small group of friends walk out. They are all in grade 12 - and in Ontario, that means they are in their senior year, which means they would be graduating this school-year. The leader of the bunch, holding his basketball, Vinh, a tall, well dressed, advantaged youth, leads the group over to the school's outdoor basketball court, all the while talking about homework, sharing their opinions of their teachers and about certain young women they have been keeping their eyes on lately.

Once at the basketball court, Vinh passes the ball to another friend, Jacob. Jacob's face is always emotionless - it's like a blank slate, but he's able to make witty comments and jokes about the things he and his friends see in their day to day lives and when they are chatting away on the internet.

Jacob tosses the ball into the air, it lands in the dark, long fingered palm of the 3rd member of the troupe, Kevin. Kevin always keeps to himself, he isnt funny like Jacob, and he isnt as financially advantaged as Vinh. He usually follows Jehan around wherever he goes. Kevin shoots the ball at the net and looks over at Jehan, who is taking his single strapped backpack off and laying it at the base of a nearby tree. Autumn has done it's job well and the dried, fallen leaves on the ground crackle as Jehan places his heavy bag, loaded with textsbooks, notebooks and his utensils down.

Jehan is the medium of the bunch, he's not tall, he's not as skinny as the rest - but he's not fat, a medium build. He's of Indian ancestry, but he doesnt care. He was born in Canada and grew up a Canadian. He's even forgotton how to speak the language of his ancestors - that doesnt matter though, all you need to know to survive in north america is english, and well, studying for a career in medicine, he figures he'll become a doctor, and learn another language if need be when he decides on what medical center in what country he'll work for. He doesnt think too much of the future though, focusing on the here and now before anything else. His homework, getting a good night's rest, and hanging out with his friends - these are his priorities.

The four friends become involved in a brisk game of basketball - an unsual way of playing basketball, where it's every man for himself, grabbing the ball, dribbling it, and trying to get a point for yourself.

Just then Vinh looks from the school's basketball court towards the main street that the school is located at. He spots something familiar, turns around and tells his friends that it's time for him to go. "Alright guys, I gotta go now. My bro is here to pick me up". Vinh's brother would rarely pick him up, most of the time, Vinh would be picked up by his mom or dad in their cream coloured Lexus SUV. "Oh yeah, and he's brought his new car". To this, Jehan replied, "Really? What kind?" Jehan and the others were used to seeing Vinh being picked up by his brother in a silver 2000 Honda Civic coupe with a very flashing looking bodykit - it was a car that all 3 knew well. Vinh's eyes stare off towards his brother's car, "It's a BMW. A BMW M3. 2005 model year. My brother taught me how drive manual transmission in his Civic sold it afterwards, he's teaching me how to drive rear wheel drive with this one". Jacob and Kevin look at the car, dumbfounded. This isnt their area of expertise, so they go back to their game of basketball.

Jehan picks up his school bag and starts to walk with Vinh, he turns around and waves at Jacob and Kevin, "You know what guys? I think im going to go wait for my bus now". Luckily, the bus stop is on the way past where Vinh's brother is waiting, so Jehan continues to walk with Vinh. Vinh glances over at Jehan, "you know, my brother's car is very different from the car that i used to bring to school. You remember, right? My white 1997 Integra?" Jehan takes a brief moment to remember, "Oh yeah, you mean the one with the big metal wing?". Vinh rolls his eyes. "It's called a GT wing!". By now the two were approaching the deep black BMW M3. "Yah, so what about your integra?" Jehan asks. "Well, I sold it. And my father bought me a Honda S2000 - also manual transmission - i think it's very similar to my brother's M3 - which i've driven several times, so i dont think going from front wheel drive to rear wheel drive will be a problem for me." Jehan looks a little puzzled... Front wheel drive, and rear wheel drive? These were terms he'd heard before from someone else, but he'd never really thought much about them. Manual transmission? How difficult can it be to learn that? Honestly, Jehan thinks to himself, Vinh is showing off too much. "Alright Jehan, see you tomorrow - i might even bring the new car!", Vinh calls out from the passengerside window of his brother's car. "Alright! Later!", Jehan replies, still walking to the bus stop. Jehan could hardly wait to see the new sportscar his friend will bring to school the next day.

Waiting for the bus, he kept thinking about manual transmission, rear wheel drive and front wheel drive. A thought suddenly struck Jehan, his father's car is an automatic transmission, "Auto-Matic" was what his father would call it. Jehan then remembers that his father's car is also a front wheel drive, going by what he's seen as his father would leave for work in the morning during snowstorms in recent years. It doesnt look too bad though, but it's what Jehan's big brother would call, "A grocery getter". Thinking of his older brother, Jehan also remembers that his big brother has a car of his own and that it's manual transmission. For a split second, as if day dreaming, in his mind, Jehan relives the summer day his brother tried to teach him how to operate a manual transmission. Jehan had horribly failed that day, he released the far left pedal too soon, this was the pedal which his brother would preach is called a "clutch" pedal and Jehan "stalled" the car. Jehan remembers stepping out of the bright red car immediately right after, scared that he may have broken something. He didnt even ask his brother to teach him how to operate a manual transmission that day. He was angry that his big brother would force him to do something that he didnt want to. "Manual transmission... Whatever.". He thinks to himself, and snaps out of the vivid memory he was having.

To Jehan, his brother's car was disgusting. Not that the car itself was disgusting, but he couldnt pay attention to that car like he could to his friends cars. It was perhaps because the car is his brother's. Sure, he felt okay driving his father's car to the grocery store and back, or running errands for his grandparents with it, but his brother's car was off limits in his mind. Firstly, because he is incapable of driving it, secondly because it is his brother's car. It felt unnatural to even SIT in that car's drivers-seat.

[BGM] Lolita - "Wake Up" [BMG]

The bus arrives. Jehan hops in, pays the fare and walks to the back of the bus. "Tomorrow, I'll see Vinh's new car", he thinks to himself as he sits down.

The diesel-turbo rear engine, rear wheel drive transit bus roars down the street.

To be continued...

[BGM fade out]
BOZZ Savage
Posted: Dec 7 2006, 07:42 PM

ペンタックス

Group: Advanced Members
Member No.: 15,047

Hmm... Nice fanfic, but theres something weird on how the way you wrote it. I think you should change the tense from present tense to past tense, that might make it read slightly better. wink2.gif

Other than that A+ grin2.gif
WRX DEMON Type R
  Posted: Dec 7 2006, 07:45 PM

oh, shoot, didnt even recognize that. Thanks. Editing now!
BOZZ
Posted: Dec 7 2006, 07:48 PM

Member No.: 1,414

Pretty good writting Demon, I couldn't have done it better myself.
Meteor
Posted: Dec 8 2006, 02:10 AM

Were you expecting something else?

Member No.: 20,929

Good job. Do continue.
WRX DEMON Type R
  Posted: Dec 8 2006, 11:00 PM

Chapter 2 - Launch!

9:00pm

In the sky, the moon appears and disappears through the thick, dark clouds. A single snowflake, it's crystaline shape, inexplicable, yet beautiful descends, it is the herald of a great army, forming still in the clouds.

"You guys are going to mangle your cars you know. You guys and your silly rivalry", the tall, young, blonde haired woman says, concerned, "Dont say i didnt warn you when one or two of you lose control and go off the road or worse. Both of you are scheduled to work tomorrow, so dont think that if something goes wrong, it wont matter. Dont do anything stupid, okay?"

"Okay", says one young man, his arms crossed.

"Yah, c'mon, dont worry about us Pat, you have a good night", says the other, sitting on a 3 foot tall concrete fence which overlooks the small corner of the parking lot where the three had park their cars.

"I'd better not hear a word of this on the news tomorrow", Pat shakes her head as she sits down in her white 1998 Chevrolet Cavalier sedan, as if she were thinking, "boys will be boys", and lights up a cigarette. She closes the door and cranks the starter. With no hesitation, the little domestic comes to life. It's windows are tinted, and Pat can barely be seen. The car is facing the wall on which one young man is standing and the other is sitting. They both hear the car clunking into reverse gear. The front passengerside window rolls down and Pat's left hand sticks out, her cigarette cradled between her index and middle finger, her ring and baby finger out, and waves at the two. In a matter of seconds, she drives out of the parking lot and up the nearby street, out of sight.

Pat is elegant, kind, smart and good natured. She's the kind of young woman who looks good on the inside as well as on the outside. She's tall, slender, her deep blue eyes are something you would wish you could stare at forever and her hair is pure blonde when it's clean. Although after a day of being exposed to several chemicals, fumes, and heat, working under the hoods and undercarriages of cars, she could redifine the term, "dirty blonde". That was another thing about her, she was tough, tougher than most young men and she had a thorough knowledge of several preventative maintainences that need to be performed on different automobiles. She could teach a guy a few things about his car, and make him feel ignorant at the end of it. She'd smoked ever since she was in highschool - it was the peer pressure. That's something many teens cannot resist. But that didnt diminish her character - she was too awesome.

"So, Vish? What do you say? Are we going to do this?", says Kris as he uncrosses his arms and sits down, crossing his legs. "I've been waiting for this for too long. This is the perfect opportunity for us to settle this thing." He smiles, waiting for a reply.

"Listen Kris, you heard what Pat said. I think it's best we listen to her." Says Vish, reflecting on what Pat had said before she left.

His eyes focusing on his silver 2003 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS, Kris lets out a long and tiresome yawn - it's been a long day. The cold air catches the warm air coming out through Kris' nostrils, reminiscent of a car purging it's nitrous oxide lines through vents on the hood. "Listen, we might as well do it tonight, especially if we do it further out north, we already on the outskirts of town, if we go further, we wont have any problems".

"Fine. I just hate to disobey Pat.", Vish blushes, deep inside, he's had crush on Pat since she first hired him. "But she'd fire me if I did that when we working together... I just dont want to disobey her.", Vish looks at the bright red car in front of him. His eyes meeting the unblinking gaze of it's headlamps, then looks straight up at the sky. "Okay, lets do this." Vish finally speaks out, smiling.

10 minutes later, the silver car leads the red car onto a dark, poorly lit road, surrounded by trees. The road is paved, but very poorly. Withered plants stick out through the cracks in the pavement. Both cars stop, side by side. Headlights joining forces to illuminate the dark beyond.

"Here, we'll start when my countdown timer goes off", Kris says enthusiatically as he adjusts his watch.

[BGM]J.Storm - Vision of Paradise[BGM]

Vish thinks. Still looking at the sky. "Alright man, im ready."

Both cars begin to increase their revolutions per minute. The countdown begins. 10. 9. 8. 7. 6. 5. 4. 3. 2. 1... Both young men shout, "GOOOOOOOOOOO!" The Mitsubishi Eclipse tears up the road, both front wheels spinning, desperately seeking out grip.

But the other car, it makes it's own grip. No slippage, no wheelspin. It flies off the line.

Inside his car, Kris grins. This wasnt what he expected, but now he understands, why Vish is so close to that thing, that car. Why Vish would die for it...

Both cars drive into the darkness. The outside world cannot hear them.

And as predicted, a great white, ice army descends from the heavens.

To be continued...

[BGM fade out]

This post has been edited by WRX DEMON on Dec 9 2006, 10:17 AM
Meteor
Posted: Dec 10 2006, 12:55 AM

Do continue. It's a good fic.
tUrB0
Posted: Dec 10 2006, 04:34 AM

Tiu lei lou mou chao hai

Member No.: 982

a great white, ice army descends from the heavens

nice! i'll remember to use that in my essays next time, other than that, good work!
BOZZ
Posted: Dec 10 2006, 04:46 AM

Member No.: 1,414

Keep up the good work, make sure to get in touch with me sometime if you need some proof reading to be done, okays?
WRX DEMON Type R
  Posted: Dec 11 2006, 06:53 AM

Thanks Bozz, I will. I DO need someone to proof read my work.

Anyhoo, here's the next chapter!

Chapter 3 - You can lead a horse to water...

7:30am

Jehan looks out the window of his room. There's a blanket of snow covering his driveway, his front lawn, the street in front of his home, and in short, the entire city. It reminds him of mashed potatoes. The thought of mashed potatoes is enough to make him hungry, he hasnt eaten breakfast yet. He walks to the only staircase in his home, walks down confidently until he reaches the basement of his home. There he walks through a small hallway and enters the kitchen. Very quietly, he opens the refrigerator and with his right hand, picks up a carton of 2% milk. He doesnt bother to look at the expiry date - it doesnt matter though, the milk is still good. With his left hand, he reaches for a box of breakfast cereal on top of the refrigerator. With both items in hand, he walks over to the dishrack, puts the milk down and pulls out a bowl with an intricately painted design of roses and birds. It's the bowl he's eaten soup, salad and breakfast cereal out of for years. Looking at the time, he hastens his movements in preparing his first meal of the day.

Halfway through the bowl of cereal, Jehan steps up and walks over to the window located in the basement dining room. The snow is still there, and it appears that more is falling. He lets out a pessimistic sigh. He'd have to go to school in this. The thought of a packed up transit bus with so many people so closely bunched up together grosses him out. That, and he hated stepping into the bus wreaking of moisture and humidity which almost always fogs up his glasses when it is cold out.

"Hmmmm...", he thinks to himself. "I wonder if Unna is home". He finishes his cereal and proceeds to the kitchen.

Now with his stomach full and his mind as far away from eating as can be before 12:00pm, Jehan proceeds out of the kitchen and into the long hallway adjacent to it. Before going far, he pushes open a door a few steps down from the kitchen entrance. It's his Unna's room; His big brother's room. The room is dark, and the smell of used engine oil is ever present, "Unna should do his laundry more often..." Jehan thinks to himself, his eyes scanning the room very quickly.

There on his small bed, is his Unna, Vish, curled up, his head the only part of his body sticking out from his blue comforter. Jehan walks over to Vish's side and places his hand on his brother's shoulder and very gently shakes him.

"Unnai", he fondly calls his brother, "Unnai, can you wake up?"...

"WHAT IS IT!? WHAT IS IT!?", Vish wakes up and asks in a terrified voice, startled, as he sits up, his head almost slamming into Jehan's head. Vish would always be like this if someone other than his 1980's GE alarm clock woke him up. He'd set this internal defense mechanism which makes his mind assume that there must be a danger or emergency present if any person ever woke him up. That way, he'd be ready. It was something not everyone in his family was used to. His parents didnt like him waking up like that. But Jehan knew it for what it was. Vish cares very deeply about anything that he lets near his heart. That being so, he'd do anything to protect those that were. Vish did this so he could be better prepared to operate an emergency situation involving anyone in his household, should an emergency appear at night. Jehan smiles and lets out a sigh.

"Oh, it's just you Jehan, is there... A problem?", Vish asks, his voice still sounding very groggy.

"Well...", Jehan grins, "It's really heavily snowing out... And you are still at home, right?"

Vish begins to laugh, then stops, also with a grin on his face, he raises his right eyebrow, "And you want me to give you a ride, eh?"

Jehan is glad that his big brother can read him like a book, "Yah." he replies and drops his head in shame like so many anime characters do when they are defeated.

"Okay, that's not a problem. Let me throw on a pair of jeans and my jacket - do you want to pull the car out of the garage and warm it up for us?" Vish asks, reaching for his car keys which he keeps right next to his bed on his computer desk, he has a cheeky look on his face.

"Umm... Nah, I'll just wait upstairs." Jehan proceeds out of the room, back up the stairs and goes to wait in his own room. Vish thinks to himself, "Punk kid. He still has alot to learn..."

"It was snowing last night when i finished work", Vish lied. It didnt snow right after work. It did snow, but not after he'd finished work, "But i didnt think it would amount to something like this".

"C'mon man, i have to get to school", Jehan says from the passenger seat. "We have to get going, i think im going to be late."

"Oh..." Vish replies. He places his left hand on the 10 o'clock position on his car's steering wheel, his other hand has already slotted his car keys into the ignition. Vish depresses the clutch pedal and turns the key forward, with a few slow cranks, the car comes to life, it's engine makes that familiar rumble most vehicles with a horizontally opposed engine make, the car's muffler only serves to amplify that sound. "I need to get that bloody starter replaced - I know it's the starter, it's been doing this since day one", Vish thinks to himself. Vish places the car's shift knob in gear one and accelerates through the ankle high snow that has laced his family's driveway. The car's 2.5liter engine pumps power through it's 4 wheel drive manual transmission. All 4 wheels spin, but the car moves forward - assuredly. It makes its own grip. Vish is in his element. Approaching the curb, Vish looks very carefully at both sides before proceeding to turn onto the street. Jehan is watching Vish's right hand. He also keeps an eye on exactly what point on the tachometer Vish shifts at, carefully observing when the needle drops and picks up and drops. Vish's eyes are on the road, but he knows when Jehan is looking, and makes each movement more explicit, and refrains from driving as fluently as he usually does.

The maximum speed limit on the road on which they are travelling is a mere 60km/h. Vish drives well below that, to ensure that his precious cargo will remain safe. The last thing he'd want in this life to know that his wrecklessness was the reason for the death of his own brother. In fact, that last thing he'd want to see in this life is his brother, not alive. He was being careful. Very careful. Carefully taking the snow covered turns, and dipping his wheels onto where he saw salt rocks instead of where there was snow. Vish carefully passed slower moving vehicles with all the confidence and precision that a mature driver would have, signalling each time, checking his mirrors each time.

It's 8:30am. The red car with its aggressive front end pulls into the back entrance driveway of Dalesville Highschool Collegiate institute. Jacob and Kevin out near the basketball court, throwing snow balls at each other. They know the car that Jehan's brother drives, and immediately point and wave at Jehan.

"Thanks Unnai, will you be picking me up too?" Jehan asks.

"Not today, Pat's scheduled me to work from 12 to 8pm, so you're on your own." replies Vish, disappointed that he may have upset his brother.

"Oh, that's fine. Dont worry about it. I'll take the bus." Jehan reassures him, smiles and walks towards his friends.

Leaving the highschool's parking lot and getting the car pointed back towards home, Vish reflects on some of his memories of being in highschool, the thought slowly turn into memories from the previous night. His race with Kris is still etched in his mind. The outcome was not what he'd expected, and the sudden weather change had caught him and Kris off guard... And gave him an unfair advantage.

At Dalesville Highschool collegiate, Jehan and his friends are waiting for Vinh to arrive.

"He did say he'd bring his new car today, right?", Jacob asks, as unemotional as ever.

"Yah, he did, but i dont think he'll bring it in this weather", Jehan replies.

"Honda S2000, I cant wait to see it", interrupts Kevin.

"Wait up, here he comes!" exclaims Jehan.

[BGM - Initial D First Stage - RedSun's Theme - BGM]

The yellow Honda S2000 with a hardtop clip-on drives up the same driveway Jehan's Unna had just driven through. The three young men approach the car and are surprised to see Vinh stepping out of the passengerside door.

"See you afterschool, Alex", Vinh says to his older brother. The Honda S2000 drives out of the driveway and back onto the street, disappearing from sight only seconds later.

"Vinh" Kevin asks, "Why is your brother driving the car?".

To this Vinh, embarassed, says, "It's snowing. I've never driven that car in the snow, and my brother didnt want me to drive it to school on my own today. That's all."

Vinh walks towards the school's doors, his school bag in hand. The bell has already begun to ring. His three friends are a little disappointed that they didnt get to see the - to them, exotic yellow sports car - up close. Jehan was looking forward to it. "Well, there's always next time." He thinks to himself, his thoughts are still lingering on his brother, his car, and the drive to school this morning. Jehan was becoming interested in learning how to drive and learning how to operate a manual transmission...

To be continued...

[BGM fade out]

This post has been edited by WRX DEMON on Dec 11 2006, 12:40 PM
Meteor
Posted: Dec 11 2006, 10:06 AM

Chapter felt slightly clogged up IMO (large paragraphs). But that's just my opinion. Anyway, you should continue this.
WRX DEMON Type R
  Posted: Dec 11 2006, 11:01 AM

Thanks, I'll fix it up in just a bit.

EDIT: There, added some breathing room. laugh.gif

This post has been edited by WRX DEMON on Dec 11 2006, 12:41 PM