Initial D World - Discussion Board / Forums

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )Resend Validation Email

DJ Panel ( Server Stats )   Song History   Initial D World Chat Room (Discord)   Broadband Stream
RADIO BROADCAST » streaming at 96kbps with 3 unique listeners, playing Speedman - Speed Lover

Important Rules
• Please do NOT post knowingly false information. Violators will be issued an actual warning.
• Please do NOT copy and paste articles from other websites. Link and short description is ok, but please do not copy and paste pages of info. Violator will be issued a verbal warning.
• Do NOT post any torrents and/or links to pirated copies of software here. Violator will be issued a verbal warning.
• Discussions about illegal materials such as ROMs, WAREZ and methods of copying copyrighted materials are not encouraged in this subforum.

» FORUM MODERATOR : FORUM MODERATOR

Views: 2,254  ·  Replies: 0 
> GPU Upgrade
Kiroshino
  Posted: Feb 9 2012, 07:57 AM

IDW Goldmember
Group Icon

Group: FORUM MODERATOR
Member No.: 34,203

Just bought a GTX 550 Ti over a HD 6850 because of its slightly lower power requirements so that I could use my stock PSU and OEM case. However, it runs hot (shut it down at 84C before it got any hotter, stress tested using Kombustor), most likely due to the poor airflow. So, here are the options I'm considering:

1) Modify the stock fan settings to keep the temperatures down.
2) Return the GPU and buy both a HD 6850 and a new case.

What are your suggestions? Not looking to spend more than $150 on my old hardware, considering my original budget was $100.

Phenom x4 9550
Wintec AmpX 4GB RAM (2x2GB)
400W PSU (have a 750W PSU, but it doesn't fit in my case)

Motherboard is limited to 2 dimms RAM (max 4GB supported), 2 PCI slots (GPU blocks both), and 1 PCIE slot.

Edit:

Went ahead and raised the stock fan speeds but it still wasn't enough. Opened my case and temps dropped to a steady 71C in a well-ventilated environment, higher in a poor-ventilated environment.

This post has been edited by Kiroshino on Feb 9 2012, 05:09 PM