Initial D World - Discussion Board / Forums

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )Resend Validation Email

DJ Panel ( Server Stats )   Song History   Initial D World Chat Room (Discord)   Broadband Stream
RADIO BROADCAST » streaming at 96kbps with 9 unique listeners, playing m.o.v.e - Painless PAIN

42 Pages  « 36 37 38 39 40 » ( Go to first unread post )

Views: 158,888  ·  Replies: 1,033 
> Stick shift, is it hard?
Mr. Shine
Posted: Nov 5 2008, 04:24 PM

Troll King

Group: Advanced Members
Member No.: 3,757

QUOTE (cmspaz @ Today at 2:12 PM)
+1. G forces = WIN

Bingo. I remember moving from playing Initial D Arcade Stage 4 to trying out Arcade Stage Limited... it was like playing a whole different game, having the car moving around me. That's not even real driving, too.
DigiBunny
Posted: Feb 18 2009, 02:58 AM

Reading is magic!

Member No.: 30,700

So wait...you release the clutch slowly because if you didnt, the car would rocket forward.

Now if the clutch connects the engine and transmission...why would gradual contact with the clutch decrease the ZOOM factor? If the gear teeth touch, they touch don't they?
Tessou
Posted: Feb 18 2009, 01:56 PM

More NEGATIVE than a black hole
Group Icon

Group: ADMINISTRATOR
Member No.: 12,263

They can touch, but that doesn't mean that they've hooked completely. They'd just be scraping together bit by bit until you've disengaged the clutch pedal, after which the teeth would be fully intertwined.
Proud Contributor of IDW Forums and the Music Section Revival Project
Spaz
Posted: Feb 18 2009, 03:19 PM

Just a guy towing a car across the country to chase a dream.
Group Icon

Group: FORUM MODERATOR
Member No.: 30,193

QUOTE (DigiBunny @ Today, 4:58 AM)
So wait...you release the clutch slowly because if you didnt, the car would rocket forward.

Now if the clutch connects the engine and transmission...why would gradual contact with the clutch decrease the ZOOM factor? If the gear teeth touch, they touch don't they?

Um... I think you don't fully understand how a clutch works... It doesn't engage or disengage the tranny gears, that's the shifter's job. With the tranny, yeah, the gears are either engaged or disengaged, with disengaged being neutral.

The clutch is a separate component from the tranny, not something internal that deals directly with the gears. It controls the load that is being applied to the tranny's input shaft. It's a common mistake, I used to think the same thing before I started researching and doing my own maintenance.

This should clear things up: http://auto.howstuffworks.com/clutch.htm
Proud Contributor of Initial D World Forums
shinn
Posted: Feb 18 2009, 06:01 PM

IDW Regular Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 27,591

Does disengaged clutch = neutral(no gear selected)? And vice versa.
sideways
Posted: Feb 18 2009, 06:21 PM

We're the People's Front of Judea!

Member No.: 1,355

Not technically no. Neutral is when the shifter is in neutral (the center space).
shinn
Posted: Feb 18 2009, 07:10 PM

IDW Regular Member

^ Whoops. I guess I said it wrong. I meant it like this: Say your coming up to a red light in gear. You start to slow down. Would it be better to 1. shift to neutral or 2. clutch in then switch to 1st gear when completely stopped?
Spaz
Posted: Feb 18 2009, 07:29 PM

Group Icon

I clutch, then shift into first once stopped.
Tessou
Posted: Feb 18 2009, 07:42 PM

More NEGATIVE than a black hole
Group Icon

Group: ADMINISTRATOR
Member No.: 12,263

Basically, take everything I said and replace the clutch with the shifter. tongue.gif

Smartypants.
Proud Contributor of IDW Forums and the Music Section Revival Project
djmisio85
Posted: Feb 18 2009, 10:37 PM

IDW Prime Member

Member No.: 23,346

QUOTE (cmspaz @ 3 hours ago)
I clutch, then shift into first once stopped.

I personally go into neutral, instead of holding my foot on the clutch when I dont need too, its a nice way to avoid cranwalk wink2.gif Then I go into first when I need to go...
sideways
Posted: Feb 18 2009, 10:52 PM

If you know youll be leaving withi na couple seconds, I'd keep it in first- If youll be sitting for a while go into neutral. Thats what I do at least.
shinn
Posted: Feb 18 2009, 10:53 PM

IDW Regular Member

QUOTE (djmisio85 @ 15 minutes ago)
I personally go into neutral, instead of holding my foot on the clutch when I dont need too, its a nice way to avoid cranwalk wink2.gif Then I go into first when I need to go...

Thats what I was referring to. Which method doesn't wear down your tranny as much as the other?
Spaz
Posted: Feb 18 2009, 10:58 PM

Group Icon

QUOTE (djmisio85 @ 21 minutes ago)

The only clutch-related bearing wear is related to holding the clutch pedal down to start the car, allowing the crank to flop around when there isn't any oil pressure.
shinn
Posted: Feb 18 2009, 11:01 PM

IDW Regular Member

But don't you have to clutch in to start the car? Or is that one of those mandatory-everyday-you have to do it-natural wear and tear-situations?
sideways
Posted: Feb 19 2009, 11:57 AM

Depends on the car. Some cars have a clutch safety button, requiring you to hold down the clutch pedal to start the car (so you cant start the car in gear- the car will roll/lurch forward). But Ive seen plenty of cars that dont, and you can start it with the clutch pedal up- just make sure youre in neutral.
Spaz
Posted: Feb 19 2009, 12:34 PM

Group Icon

Oh, my car's definitely got pedal position sensors. One for down and one for up.

Both are disconnected.

I just shift into neutral when I park the car, then when I get in to start it, I sit down, wiggle the shifter to make sure its in neutral, then turn the key. It's become so natural I do it in any manual car. It takes a few seconds to realize the Stang and my mom's Acura still need to have the clutch depressed.
HorizontalMitsubishi
Posted: Feb 19 2009, 03:29 PM

Part of the Tessou Signature Series

Member No.: 2,022

QUOTE (cmspaz @ 2 hours ago)
Oh, my car's definitely got pedal position sensors. One for down and one for up.

Both are disconnected.

I just shift into neutral when I park the car, then when I get in to start it, I sit down, wiggle the shifter to make sure its in neutral, then turn the key. It's become so natural I do it in any manual car. It takes a few seconds to realize the Stang and my mom's Acura still need to have the clutch depressed.

Its more fun when someone else drives your car and leaves it in gear for you because their car doesn't have a hand brake.... you know who you are....
Spaz
Posted: Feb 19 2009, 03:47 PM

Group Icon

QUOTE (sidewaysstarion @ 18 minutes ago)
Its more fun when someone else drives your car and leaves it in gear for you because their car doesn't have a hand brake.... you know who you are....

LOL.

See, that's where my pre-start shifter wiggle helps. And most of the time, if it gets left in gear, I notice when I open the door. It just stands out for me.
WRX DEMON Type R
Posted: Feb 19 2009, 08:12 PM

IDW Posts A Freaking LOT Member

Group: Banned
Member No.: 3,276

So i might be getting my third car and third subaru in a few more weeks. It`s Right hand steering. So left hand shifts.

Anyone have any experience switching from shifting with the right hand to the left hand?
djmisio85
Posted: Feb 19 2009, 08:16 PM

IDW Prime Member

Member No.: 23,346

QUOTE (WRX DEMON Type R @ 4 minutes ago)
So i might be getting my third car and third subaru in a few more weeks. It`s Right hand steering. So left hand shifts.

Anyone have any experience switching from shifting with the right hand to the left hand?

Yes, usually the first few shifts feel a little weird, but normal shifting should be no problems.

Also things like heel and toeing, it might feel weird holding onto the wheel with the other hand, and just not comfortable for a little while.

I test drove the new e92 BMW M3 last year, and that was the first time I had ever driven a LHD, I couldnt do heel and toeing, because it just didnt feel right doing it with the opposite hand, but apart from that, normal driving was no issue at all wink2.gif

So when you finally getting this "beast"?? laugh.gif

This post has been edited by djmisio85 on Feb 19 2009, 10:15 PM
WRX DEMON Type R
Posted: Feb 19 2009, 10:08 PM

IDW Posts A Freaking LOT Member

Group: Banned
Member No.: 3,276

lol, as soon as my credit card comes in the mail.

LOL beast.
ToyotaFan84
Posted: Jun 23 2009, 02:32 PM

VVTL-i just kicked in yo!

Member No.: 29,639

Alright, I have a couple of questions. When I drive and I'm approaching a light or what not I pop it into neutral, brake, then when I'm ready to go shift into first.

Well my friend loves to be a backseat driver and always demands that I drive is always complaining about me doing this. He says what I should be doing is going through the gears.

1) Does it really ****ing matter? I'm getting tired of his crap and I'd like to tell him to STFU but I'd like to have some knowledge of the two before I pull that on him.

2) If I understand him correctly (let's say I'm going 40 mph and I'm in 4th), what he is telling me to do is brake, shift to third, brake again, shift to second, brake again, shift to first, brake to stopping point. If I'm right, I think that's kind of stupid to have so many pauses in between braking, I don't need to make things any harder for some one who chooses to drive behind me.

Any ways, any light shed on this would be appreciated. Thanks. =D
MetalMan777
Posted: Jun 23 2009, 02:38 PM

Snooping as usual

Member No.: 32,588

to answer your questions
1: No, it doesn't matter. Tell him to drive his own car in a jerky as hell fashion.
3: He probably means keep constant braking and just downshift. Naturally you'd have to revmatch (or make really jerky shifts by not letting up the brake and just shifting), which either means heel-toeing or left foot braking and shifting without the clutch. It's a lot easier to just pop it in neutral and brake.
Spaz
Posted: Jun 23 2009, 03:08 PM

Group Icon

Yeah, I leave mine in neutral from when I start braking until I see the cross-light change. Of course, having a heavier clutch, I have a legitimate reason for not wanting to hold it down for so long.
Shale
Posted: Jun 23 2009, 03:21 PM

/IDW/ Zero Fighter Pilot

Member No.: 20,861

I'd say use engine braking like he's suggesting, but most cars don't have enough balls for it to be useful now do they? tongue.gif

It's better for everything including other road users to keep it in gear, not neutral-hump it all the way to the lights. In fact, picky testing officers here have failed people for riding neutral during license tests.

Your braking power is essentially reduced slightly by being in neutral, as your engine is not assisting the brakes. It also means that if you have to react to a situation on the fly, you are doing so without your motor. If you've already synced down into 2nd or so and are engine braking, you can immediately hit the gas if you have to. Or, if someone runs out in front of you, your engine will HELP you brake faster to avoid a calamity.

42 Pages  « 36 37 38 39 40 »