Initial D World - Discussion Board / Forums

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )Resend Validation Email

DJ Panel ( Server Stats )   Song History   Initial D World Chat Room (Discord)   Broadband Stream
RADIO BROADCAST » streaming at 96kbps with 9 unique listeners, playing (MF Ghost OST) David Dima - Bad Love

Important Rules
• Please do NOT post knowingly false information. Violators will be issued an actual warning.
• Please do NOT copy and paste articles from other websites. Link and short description is ok, but please do not copy and paste pages of info. Violator will be issued a verbal warning.
• Do NOT post any torrents and/or links to pirated copies of software here. Violator will be issued a verbal warning.
• Discussions about illegal materials such as ROMs, WAREZ and methods of copying copyrighted materials are not encouraged in this subforum.

» FORUM MODERATOR : FORUM MODERATOR

Views: 3,245  ·  Replies: 5 
> Is it possible to expand Vram on a mobile gpu?
lotteman
  Posted: Nov 21 2012, 05:21 PM

IDW Goldmember

Group: Advanced Members
Member No.: 9,895

Hey everyone,

I have a 'mid range' media laptop with a dedicated gpu(nvidia 330M). I noticed that from the factory some of the system ram is 'partitioned' out for the gpu(i assume). Is there anyway i could expand that partition so the gpu has more ram to use? Would it make any real noticeable change in performance? I figure that ram is cheap enough where i can just upgrade to 8gb or so of ram and dedicate 1gb to the gpu.

laptop is a Samsung R478 with a i5 520m cpu and 4gb of ram(3.86gb usable)
Nomake Wan
Posted: Nov 21 2012, 05:45 PM

ShiMACHaze

Member No.: 5,394

QUOTE (lotteman @ 23 minutes, 5 seconds ago)
Hey everyone,

I have a 'mid range' media laptop with a dedicated gpu(nvidia 330M). I noticed that from the factory some of the system ram is 'partitioned' out for the gpu(i assume). Is there anyway i could expand that partition so the gpu has more ram to use? Would it make any real noticeable change in performance? I figure that ram is cheap enough where i can just upgrade to 8gb or so of ram and dedicate 1gb to the gpu.

laptop is a Samsung R478 with a i5 520m cpu and 4gb of ram(3.86gb usable)

The option to increase the amount of RAM associated with the integrated GPU, if available, would be in your system BIOS. On a laptop this is generally the "Setup" key on startup. ESC, DEL, F2, whatever it tells you to press. However, since it's a laptop it may not have the option to increase allocated memory. You'll have to look around yourself.

Be aware, however, that on a graphics card the amount of RAM it has is only the frame buffer--it does not increase performance. Increasing the size of the frame buffer will allow you to run higher resolutions but it does not increase the actual graphics processing horsepower whatsoever. If decreasing the resolution of the game you're playing doesn't significantly improve performance then your problem isn't with the RAM--it's with your crappy integrated graphics.

It's a laptop, though...they're generally not meant for that. Heck, the chip in my netbook is essentially a 9400M. It plays 1080p video, has HDMI output and can play fighting games and Escape Velocity. That's about all I'd ever ask a mobile device to do. smile.gif

This post has been edited by Nomake Wan on Nov 21 2012, 05:45 PM
Proud Contributor of IDW Forums and the Music Section Revival Project
Spaz
Posted: Nov 21 2012, 07:47 PM

Just a guy towing a car across the country to chase a dream.
Group Icon

Group: FORUM MODERATOR
Member No.: 30,193

The 330M is pretty garbage, that's what I've got in my Toshiba lappy and it's completely uninspiring.
Proud Contributor of Initial D World Forums
khat17
Posted: Nov 23 2012, 10:15 AM

IDW SIMPLETON

Member No.: 17,668

Same as said above. N1 covered everything I'd have said. Only addition would be like so.....

http://www.digital-daily.com/motherboard/e...90gx/index2.htm

Scroll down or search for "integrated graphics" on the page. It's the part where you have shared memory for the GPU. There are set numbers there so you can't go over a certain amount. Posting the model of your laptop would have helped - we'd look in the manual for it and then check what the figures would be like.
chillined
Posted: Nov 27 2012, 03:59 PM

IDW Goldmember

Member No.: 23,552

330M here also, pretty bad for any FullHD gaming, but it can run Skyrim on 720p so I'm happy.
Spaz
Posted: Nov 27 2012, 09:57 PM

Just a guy towing a car across the country to chase a dream.
Group Icon

Group: FORUM MODERATOR
Member No.: 30,193

QUOTE (chillined @ 5 hours, 57 minutes ago)
330M here also, pretty bad for any FullHD gaming, but it can run Skyrim on 720p so I'm happy.

Wat.

I'm assuming that's not max settings besides?

I can assure you it's not powerful in any way, it won't run LoL smoothly above medium settings with some of the effects and unnecessaries turned off.
Proud Contributor of Initial D World Forums