Initial D World - Discussion Board / Forums

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )Resend Validation Email

DJ Panel ( Server Stats )   Song History   Initial D World Chat Room (Discord)   Broadband Stream
RADIO BROADCAST » streaming at 96kbps with 6 unique listeners, playing (Battle Stage 2) Vivi - Just For Me

Important Rules
• Please do NOT post knowingly false information. Violators will be issued an actual warning.
• Please do NOT copy and paste articles from other websites. Link and short description is ok, but please do not copy and paste pages of info. Violator will be issued a verbal warning.
• Do NOT post any torrents and/or links to pirated copies of software here. Violator will be issued a verbal warning.
• Discussions about illegal materials such as ROMs, WAREZ and methods of copying copyrighted materials are not encouraged in this subforum.

» FORUM MODERATOR : FORUM MODERATOR

Views: 2,371  ·  Replies: 5 
> Question about Anti-Virus programs
Phantom_R32
  Posted: Jan 8 2011, 04:42 PM

Trust me, I'm a doctor.

Group: Advanced Members
Member No.: 1,277

Is it ok to have two running at the same time? I don't mean scanning at the same time but actually being on your computer 24/7. I currently have both AVG and Avira AntiVir. I have Malwarebytes as well, but that doesn't run all the time like the other two.
Lebon14
Posted: Jan 8 2011, 04:43 PM

🎧

Member No.: 18,005

As long as you don't have any bugs or stuff like that, it's OK.
Proud Contributor of IDW Forums and the Music Section Revival Project
Phantom_R32
  Posted: Jan 8 2011, 05:48 PM

Trust me, I'm a doctor.

Member No.: 1,277

Well, I know I have something on this computer I just don't know what. Every once in a while my browser will freeze up and say "Not responding". Happens for like a quick second of two, but it just feels like something interfering with the browser. None of my scans pick anything up though..

But I don't have any bugs in the programs themselves, if that's what you mean.
Lebon14
Posted: Jan 8 2011, 06:32 PM

🎧

Member No.: 18,005

It happens with every computer. Even my Core i7 does that sometimes. By bugs, I mean things that isn't a normal behavior. Exemple, you can't save on the desktop or you have BSODs.
Proud Contributor of IDW Forums and the Music Section Revival Project
khat17
Posted: Jan 15 2011, 05:37 PM

IDW SIMPLETON

Member No.: 17,668

Never a good idea to have multiple AV apps running at the same time. If it works for you and doesn't drain your resources then you can go ahead. The main problem is when you find something that both apps are trying to clean a single virus. You may have a case where the file will be deleted instead of cleaned where a single app may have just cleaned the file. Personally I'm currently using Avast free (may buy it later on). I was using Zone Alarm Internet Security Suite but it has compatibility issues with Alcohol 120% and additional issues with my password manager.

From my experience with these AV apps here are my recommendations:

Zone Alarm
Very good but has issues with some password managers and Alcohol 120% with the last version I used in September 2010. Lacks the feature to apply a single action to all found infections. Not a very small memory footprint, but works nicely.

Avast
Small memory footprint. Very fast opening of the interface on any OS - even on an XP system with 256Mb of RAM. Very good detection rates and such - paid version has many nice features but free version works nicely.

Bit Defender
Bit Defender has the best GUI of all other apps that I have seen. You can choose your setting from Beginner to Advanced and based on your choice the interface looks different. The program works nicely but uses more resources than Avast IMO but less than Zone Alarm.

AVG
AVG is probably one of the most (if not the most) popular free antivirus app online. Resources are a little heavier than Bit Defender IMO but still not has bad as Zone Alarm. The main issue I have with AVG stems from a previous series where AVG free would delete an infected file which would render XP unable to boot while the paid one would not do this from what I recall. That was a turn-off. Outside of that it works fine and works fairly good.

Overall they have their ups and downs but Zone Alarm is the only one with no offline update, so that's something to think about when deciding.
hath80
Posted: Feb 22 2011, 09:56 PM

Shmuck

Group: Members
Member No.: 36,676

Yes, I use AVG and another tool at the same time. No problem at all.