Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What is the difference between a Levin and Trueno?
Page 1 of 4: [1] 2 3 4
xodsxboi215x
What is the difference between the Levin and the Trueno? It is because the Levin has straight headlights and the Trueno has flip headlights?
ceraf
generally, yes, up until the AE101.

or so i think...somebody correct me on this
Type R
where do i sign up for the "fujiwara driving school"? lol

On the subject i think hes right, the only diff that i noticed from specs was that the headlights were different. Think the Levin was a lower model.
tivx
i think the engines are different too not sure
Type R
i could be mistaken, but didnt in one of the ID episodes it say that the Levin was a single cam, while the Trueno was dual?
WRX DEMON Type R
itsuki's levin is single cam. But there are also plenty of trueno's with single cam too.

The only differences between AE86/92 Trueno's and Levins are the front fenders, headlights and tail lights (not sure about AE92's).

Nomake Wan
QUOTE (Type R. @ Apr 21 2005, 11:05 PM)
i could be mistaken, but didnt in one of the ID episodes it say that the Levin was a single cam, while the Trueno was dual?

Remember that there's the AE85 Levin and Trueno (SOHC) and the AE86 Levin and Trueno GT-APEX (DOHC).

Only differences I've noticed are the headlights and tail-lights, and anything around those that would be different due to those changes (bumpers, etc.).
MAFD
Both the AE86 Trueno and Levins are exactly the same besides the headlights and taillights (sources from Kenta's convosation with Keisuke during the Wataru/Takumi match at the end of the second stage) Itsuki's Levin is different because his one is an AE85 which is like the lower economical version, that has a 1.6L SOHC engine and no LSD. I think that engine is the 3AU, both Takumi and Wataru have a 4AG. Just out of curiosity, just before Keisuke's and Wataru's match in 4th stage (after the 86/capp match) when Wataru showed Keisuke his engine bay I found some confusion between thewird and Live-Evil subs. thewird's sub says that he ALMOST blew his old engine so he got this one, but Live-Evil subs said he DID blew his old engine. Also did Wataru just source another 4AG and supercharged it or did he source a 4AGZE supercharged?
xodsxboi215x
Can you purchase a Levin in the U.S. because I never saw one in the states.
xodsxboi215x
QUOTE (MAFD @ Apr 21 2005, 08:42 PM)
Both the AE86 Trueno and Levins are exactly the same besides the headlights and taillights (sources from Kenta's convosation with Keisuke during the Wataru/Takumi match at the end of the second stage) Itsuki's Levin is different because his one is an AE85 which is like the lower economical version, that has a 1.6L SOHC engine and no LSD. I think that engine is the 3AU, both Takumi and Wataru have a 4AG. Just out of curiosity, just before Keisuke's and Wataru's match in 4th stage (after the 86/capp match) when Wataru showed Keisuke his engine bay I found some confusion between thewird and Live-Evil subs. thewird's sub says that he ALMOST blew his old engine so he got this one, but Live-Evil subs said he DID blew his old engine. Also did Wataru just source another 4AG and supercharged it or did he source a 4AGZE supercharged?

I was wondering the same thing. Did he get a new 4age or kept his old 4age. If he did keep his new or old motor did he add an aftermarket superchanger or did he get a 4agze from a mr2?
WRX DEMON Type R
Nope. No. Na ah.

No levin in the states, though there this one FWD 4 door corollas hatch that has a front end which resembles the Levin front end - which was also sold as a chevy (since Toyota and GM work together sometimes).

Both AE86 and AE92 models you get in North America come with the Trueno front end (with USDM bumper) - but you can simply order the levin conversions for those.

Theres a guy here where im from in Toronto who had a AE92 and did a levin conversion - his car looks great.
?wha?
sources say the US only got truenos and AUS only got levins, and the only wy to get the other is to import it (damn japs, give AUS the truenos >_<)
xodsxboi215x
What is Kouki or Zenki? What is the difference between the two? I see a lot of people talking about it and I have no clue what those 2 are ?=T.
Gold_Ultima
there is also a little lip on the trunk of Levins I believe.......this is just from memory
xodsxboi215x
QUOTE (?wha? @ Apr 21 2005, 10:04 PM)
sources say the US only got truenos and AUS only got levins, and the only wy to get the other is to import it (damn japs, give AUS the truenos >_<)

Japan always get the nicer cars. U.S. always get the crappy cars thats why we see a lot ricey cars.
Nomake Wan
QUOTE (xodsxboi215x @ Apr 22 2005, 01:24 AM)
What is Kouki or Zenki? What is the difference between the two? I see a lot of people talking about it and I have no clue what those 2 are ?=T.

If I'm remembering correctly, those are two different kinds of paint schemes for the Trueno/Levin. They have to do with what parts get the black trim and which get the primary color. I don't know for sure which is which, but if you ask sidewaysgts he'll know.
xodsxboi215x
QUOTE (Nomake Wan @ Apr 21 2005, 10:45 PM)
QUOTE (xodsxboi215x @ Apr 22 2005, 01:24 AM)

If I'm remembering correctly, those are two different kinds of paint schemes for the Trueno/Levin. They have to do with what parts get the black trim and which get the primary color. I don't know for sure which is which, but if you ask sidewaysgts he'll know.

Thanks for the info Nomake Wun.
Xibal (ER34)
if u get a stock levin 86 and trueno 86 their engine is practically the same
akishiro
actually its the same.. the only difference is the back tail lights and the front.. not many levin 86 in my place.. i only saw 1.. loads of trueno 86.. size practically the same
RandRace
What is Kouki or Zenki?

"late" and "early" respectively. Chuki would be "middle". Often used for model variations within the same generation.

An 89-90 240SX, for instance, is a Zenki S13 and 91-93 a Chuki S13 (in Japan the 180SX got a Kouki S13 version as well). With FC's 86-88s - what we call an S4 - is a Zenki and an 89-91 S5 a Kouki. Not sure how it applies to Levin/Truenos.

A good site for info on different gen and model Japanese cars is http://www.alljapanesecars.com/
MAFD
QUOTE (RandRace @ Apr 23 2005, 02:53 AM)
What is Kouki or Zenki?

"late" and "early" respectively. Chuki would be "middle". Often used for model variations within the same generation.

An 89-90 240SX, for instance, is a Zenki S13 and 91-93 a Chuki S13 (in Japan the 180SX got a Kouki S13 version as well). With FC's 86-88s - what we call an S4 - is a Zenki and an 89-91 S5 a Kouki. Not sure how it applies to Levin/Truenos.

A good site for info on different gen and model Japanese cars is http://www.alljapanesecars.com/

is there a different name for cars within the same generation but with different engines? For example the CA18DET 180SX's and the SR20DET 180SX's
MAD MAX
The difference between the Zenki and Kouki model are also the bumpers and even tailight. The Zenki one (Takumi's) has 2 orange signal in the front while the Kouki (Tsuchiya's) has white signals on the front bumper. Keep in mind that the AE86 Trueno/Levin came with different models of front light and tailight.

Here's a link that might help: http://www.billzilla.org/ae86stock.htm
HardcoreEP
Same engine, same interior, slightly different exterior. One has flip up light the other doesn't. Wataru car's a Levin, Takumi is a Trueno. The different exteriors have continued to the last known gen Levin/Trueno, the AE111.
sideways
Zenki are the 85 and older models, 86 and up is considered kouki. I for example have a kouki 86.

Difference depend where you go, in japan the biggest difference is the front bumper followed by the rear brake lights. Other minor difference include different axles in the back- Take my car for example again, i need specificly a kuoki lsd rebuild kit for my car- the axles wouldnt fit on a zenki model.

All other differences between the Trueno/Levin models have been mentioned, mechanicly speaking theres no difference, just the front/rear lights- and the body around them because of it.

If you got any other 86 questions feel free to hit me up on aim or pm me be glad to answer anything i can

Added; Btw this has been talked about before, so search next time if you think you might be asking an obvious question wink2.gif And be careful with those double posts.. you have an "Edit" button for a reason- youll get warned next time. Dont mean to sound cruel but IDW is a large site, and it costs the website money to use more of it laugh.gif Anyways welcome to idw hope to see you around.
RandRace
is there a different name for cars within the same generation but with different engines? For example the CA18DET 180SX's and the SR20DET 180SX's

I don't think so, although only the Zenki 180 came with the CA18 IIRC.
Fast Reply:

Enable Smilies |  Enable Signature   
Page 1 of 4: [1] 2 3 4
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.