Initial D World - Discussion Board / Forums

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )Resend Validation Email

DJ Panel ( Server Stats )   Song History   Initial D World Chat Room (IRC)   Broadband Stream
RADIO BROADCAST » streaming at 96kbps with 5 unique listeners, playing (Battle Stage 2) Phil - Crazy & Ready

Important Rules
1 2 3 4
Initial D Latest News
  • Initial D Fifth Stage has ended with 14 episodes. [confirmed]
  • A theatrical version of Initial D is confirmed for release in August 2014. [Official Thread]
  • UPDATES : Animax has confirmed that Final Stage will be available on its subscription-based VOD (Video On Demand) service starting May 16th, 2014. It will continue where Fifth Stage left off. Consist of a total of four episodes, Final Stage will be focusing on the long-awaited final 86 vs 86 battle between Takumi and Shinji. [confirmed]
  • UPDATES : Avex has confirmed that the New Initial D The Movie will be a trilogy. First part of the trilogy is called Legend 1 -Awakening- slated for release in theaters on August 23rd, 2014 (Japan Only) [confirmed]

Please Follow These Rules
  • Please use the spoiler tag when posting content not yet covered by anime. Violator will be issued an actual warning.
  • Please take the time to read the forums description before you start a topic. Starting topic(s) in the wrong section may result in an actual warning.
  • Use the Search function before you start a new topic. Posting a duplicated thread may earn yourself a verbal warning.
  • Read the Pinned threads before starting a new topic. Posting thread(s) about question(s) already answered in Pinned threads will result in an actual warning.

FORUM MODERATOR : FORUM MODERATOR

Views: 2,308  ·  Replies: 22 
> Style Change?, Shuichi Shigeno's art evolving?
THE_HONDA_CG2
Posted: Jan 5 2012, 05:11 PM

我是GROOT!
Group Icon

Group: ADMINISTRATOR
Member No.: 37,947

This has been bothering me for a while, but has anyone noticed the change in Shigeno's art style? To be more specific, there was a drastic change in the way characters were drawn before the end of Fourth Stage (Purple Shadow vs Project D) and the new material--that will be featured in Fifth Stage. I mean, of course one is allowed to improve as an artist over the years but I see this as a drastic change in style that happened in a short period of time.

Compare Keisuke:
user posted image vs user posted image

Compare Ryosuke:

Ryosuke vs Takumi (terrible example, but you get my point):

I personally believe that Shigeno has a unique style when it comes to drawing characters and I did notice over time that it changed. I don't know how to describe it exactly, but all the characters especially Keisuke and Ryosuke went from one side of the spectrum to the other. And what confuses me the most is that Takumi is starting to look like Ryosuke. I'm just wondering how this style change will affect the character design for Fifth Stage anime, if that ever gets announced...
keg11
Posted: Jan 5 2012, 07:37 PM

IDW Expert Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 38,131

I agree with you, there. Early on, Shigeno's style was quite coarse, but it improved quite a bit after about vol. 7 (the characters looked similar to their designs in the First stage anime). But personally, I'm not a big fan of his latest style. It looks too..detailed.

On the other hand, he did do a good job in keeping Takumi the same style over the years.
Banken
Posted: Jan 6 2012, 05:50 AM

IDW Prime Member

Group: Advanced Members
Member No.: 22,465

It's been 16 years. Yes, his style has changed dramatically.

I wish the designs had been like they are now back in 1998, then the characters in Stage 1 might have looked a lot better.

The chance between Baribari Densetu and Initial D is MUCH bigger, though.
kyonpalm
Posted: Jan 6 2012, 02:25 PM

fuckface
Group Icon

Group: FORUM MODERATOR
Member No.: 30,882

I've noticed this as well, for a while. I really think Shigeno has gotten worse over the years. I loved his earlier illustrations from Vol. 1-10, but after that, from 11-20(ish) it started following a strict, generic pattern of panels and art. This only got worse from 21-30(ish) and from about Vol. 30 on, it's been just as carbon-copy-like, only the art itself now seems very rough around the edges. I really don't like it. I much prefered the older art - it popped out of the pages, practically!

Anyway, if you really want to be blown away, read some volumes of Bari Bari Densetsu, his motorcycle-oriented series in the 1980s. cool.gif

This post has been edited by kyonpalm on Jan 6 2012, 02:26 PM
Proud Contributor of the Music Section Revival Project
StephanCTR
Posted: Jan 8 2012, 12:20 PM

IDW Senior Member

Member No.: 38,044

This has been bothering me for a while, but has anyone noticed the change in Shigeno's art style? To be more specific, there was a drastic change in the way characters were drawn before the end of Fourth Stage (Purple Shadow vs Project D) and the new material--that will be featured in Fifth Stage.

Exactly my thought. The hairstyles really changed dramatically after vol. 30 and I also struggle with recognizing Ryosuke and Takumi. But I like the fact that the work is evolving, and it still feels fresh, even after all those years. It's the same story with clothes, take Takahashi's outfits at the begginig and now...

This post has been edited by StephanCTR on Jan 8 2012, 12:44 PM
Banken
Posted: Jan 8 2012, 05:53 PM

IDW Prime Member

What was cool in 1995 isn't necessarily cool now.

Takuki and Ryosuke are really hard to tell apart now.
Maybe it's because Takumi has a man-crush on Ryosuke....heheh
THE_HONDA_CG2
Posted: Jan 8 2012, 09:33 PM

我是GROOT!
Group Icon

I've also noticed that Keisuke's hair went through like five or six different changes before Shigeno really decided on a style. I don't quite remember how it changed so dramatically, but I want to see all the different intermediates. pinch2.gif

QUOTE (Banken @ 3 hours, 32 minutes ago)

According to the timeline in Initial D it's only been about a year or two since the start of the series right? So it's still the 1990's there, and I like the clothing styles that Shigeno draws, very classy! happy.gif
Fast
Posted: Jan 8 2012, 10:59 PM

IDW Prime Member

Member No.: 23,986

It seems that whatever year Shigeno decided to set his manga in, he completely threw out the window. S2000s, 350Zs, R34s, Bunta's STi and most of the featured Mitsubishi Evos didn't exist during the better part of the 90's. laugh.gif If there is a year, it'd have to be at least 2003/2004.
Banken
Posted: Jan 9 2012, 12:55 AM

IDW Prime Member

Duh, Inital D takes place in an alternate universe where street racing is a major sport with a large well-connected network and is not illegal*. Lol.

And no one ever totals there car or drives off a cliff.

And no one ever worries about buying tires, replacing clutches, and overhauling engines.

And no one ever wonders where Project D gets its funding.

And no regular driver EVER drives on touge at night, EVER. Not up or down. It's basically a closed course. This is actually the least realistic part... lol

You can't put an actual date on it. The 199X has pretty much been retconned to never be a specific year. For example, it doesn't state whether Ryousuke and Keisuke bought there cars used or new.

In V 44 a guy mentions how good cheap used sports cars are becoming rarer and rarer, which is true NOW but was not true in the 90s. More retcon.

*it's implied ONCE but never stated directly, and in Japan cops don't bother trying to catch racers, but the roads have anti drifting devices now, and the hours that racers actually race is much later than in ID (11 PM instead of 8 PM). Also, if someone put their shop name on a car they raced with, obviously they would eventually get busted.
Banken
Posted: Jan 9 2012, 12:56 AM

IDW Prime Member

Oh yeah, cops will go and tell racers gathering at touge to go home, but they don't really go and catch racers.
StephanCTR
Posted: Jan 9 2012, 01:36 AM

IDW Senior Member

Member No.: 38,044

QUOTE (Banken @ 7 hours, 43 minutes ago)

Yes, and my point is that it's the same story with hairstyles. Not to mention, it would look strange if the characters wore modern clothing and still had their original 1996's hairstyles.

By the way, it's really interesting to see all the classic characters in vol. 43. Despite the style change, some of them looks exactly the same as in early volumes (Mako, for example).
ZeetherKID77
Posted: Jan 9 2012, 06:17 PM

1000% DRIFTING!

Member No.: 2,311

Artists' styles always change. Ken Akamatsu's character designs for Negima even changed over all the chapters, so it would make sense that Shigeno's would too.
THE_HONDA_CG2
Posted: Jan 9 2012, 07:14 PM

我是GROOT!
Group Icon

I'm not saying that it's bad for Shigeno to change, I'm just confused that the sudden change in his style. Like after Purple Shadow vs Project D and moving into the material that isn't covered in the anime yet, there is a huge jump in the way that he illustrates the characters--it wasn't gradual, it was sudden. I'm wondering if Shigeno took a hiatus after he finished that arc of the story, because that would explain the sudden change in scenery. pinch2.gif

StephanCTR has a point, it's kinda freaky but Mako and Sayuki still look the same after all these years. Maybe women don't age in that universe! awesome.gif

Then:
user posted image

Now:
user posted image
Banken
Posted: Jan 10 2012, 06:52 AM

IDW Prime Member

Initial D has taken place in less than a year, so of course they don't age...hehe
sprinter_tsuchiya
Posted: Jan 24 2012, 12:19 PM

IDW Member

Member No.: 34,206

I see it more like a natural evolution over the years.

But maybe Shigeno has changed his assistant(s) recently, that would explain the dramatic difference between the past and the current artwork.

This post has been edited by sprinter_tsuchiya on Jan 24 2012, 02:54 PM
TheWhiteEagle
Posted: Mar 22 2012, 05:00 PM

IDW God Member

Member No.: 36,266

A friend of mine, a big manga/anime fan, took a look at the artwork both in the manga and the anime and he said that the characters looked rather ugly while in the later ones they look a lot nicer but not perfect.

Looking back and at nowadays, I actually agree with him. I think it's because the characters' faces look a little too "long" if you get my meaning. There faces look more natural except Sayuki's still looks too round. I do like how they look in recent volumes but I do agree about the dislike of the hairstyles, especially in Ryosuke's case. dry.gif

This post has been edited by TheWhiteEagle on Mar 22 2012, 05:06 PM
sideways
Posted: Mar 31 2012, 05:29 PM

We're the People's Front of Judea!
Group Icon

Member No.: 1,355

Could we trouble someone with access to the manga to go through and post up the various changes over the years for (at least some) of the main characters in some rough form of chronological order? I dont have easy access to the manga and am curious to see all these changes
THE_HONDA_CG2
Posted: Mar 31 2012, 06:20 PM

我是GROOT!
Group Icon

QUOTE (sideways @ 49 minutes, 58 seconds ago)
Could we trouble someone with access to the manga to go through and post up the various changes over the years for (at least some) of the main characters in some rough form of chronological order? I dont have easy access to the manga and am curious to see all these changes

I've actually been looking into starting a timeline of all the character design changes that have taken place over the years. But sorting through 500+ chapters of manga is no easy task. I'll try my best to compile panels and timelines for all of the characters.
Tessou
Posted: Apr 1 2012, 05:35 AM

IDW Prime Member
Group Icon

Group: CULTIST
Member No.: 12,263

This was rather quickly compiled, as in five minutes, but spans the majority of the series.

user posted image
Image size reduced, original size: 1023 x 204. Click here to view the image in its original dimension.

From left to right: 1995 (v1), 1998 (v10), 2000 (v20), 2004 (v30), and 2009 (v40).
sideways
Posted: Apr 1 2012, 08:21 AM

We're the People's Front of Judea!
Group Icon

Member No.: 1,355

At least takumi has stayed fairly consistent. Cant say im liking the more current rendition(s) however.
THE_HONDA_CG2
Posted: Apr 1 2012, 11:38 AM

我是GROOT!
Group Icon

Shoot, Tess beat me to the punch again. I'm still working on compiling pictures of all the other characters so it might take a few weeks for me to finish. And I've noticed that the change in Takumi's hair style is a little sudden. Or is it just me? pinch2.gif
Phantom_R32
Posted: Apr 1 2012, 04:01 PM

Trust me, I'm a doctor.

Member No.: 1,277

Am I the only one that thinks his drawings in general are getting worse? Maybe I'm just used to his old stuff. But it just seems like there's not enough detail in his work anymore.
Tessou
Posted: Apr 1 2012, 04:35 PM

IDW Prime Member
Group Icon

Group: CULTIST
Member No.: 12,263

I've noticed that he's switched to a "safer" chicken scratch drawing style somewhere around the AE86 vs. AE86 Turbo race. I liked his soft style used in the earliest volumes.