Initial D World - Discussion Board / Forums

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )Resend Validation Email
-INITIAL D FINAL STAGE SEASON FINALE EPISODE 3 & 4 COUNTDOWN-
Season Finale ACT.3 & 4 最終回  夢は終わらない——
FINAL STAGE ACT 3 & 4 WILL BE AVAILABLE ON ANIMAX PLUS ON JUNE 22ND, 2014 (JAPAN TIME)

DJ Panel ( Server Stats )   Song History   Initial D World Chat Room (IRC)   Broadband Stream
RADIO BROADCAST » streaming at 96kbps with 7 unique listeners, playing (Sound Files Vol.1) worry

Automotive Section Rules
• Scenes depicted in Initial D are strictly fiction. Please follow the traffic rules and drive safely.
• When posting a classified thread, please label it with For Sale (FS), For Trade (FT) or Want To Buy (WTB) in the thread title.
• Use the Search function before you start a new topic. Posting a duplicated thread may earn yourself a verbal warning.
• Videos of illegal street racing are prohibited. Posting a video depicting dangerous/reckless driving behavior will result in an actual warning.

FORUM MODERATOR : FORUM MODERATOR

Views: 1,485  ·  Replies: 16 
> 2013 Shelby GT500, 200 MPH has never been this cheap.
Drew
Posted: Nov 15 2011, 07:22 PM

Bought not Built

Group: Advanced Members
Member No.: 12,733

http://jalopnik.com/5859549/the-2013-shelb...o-zl1-its-b*tch

user posted image
Image size reduced, original size: 1280 x 576. Click here to view the image in its original dimension.

user posted image

Well Chevy? Nope, the ZL1 doesn't do the 200 mph dance, now does it?

The 2013 Shelby GT500 wants to make the Camaro ZL1 its b*tch
You know how the Chevy Camaro ZL1 was supposed to be sitting atop the Muscle Car War heap? Yeah, not so much anymore. Meet the 650 HP 2013 Shelby GT500 — it's gonna try to make the ZL1 its little b*tch.
Yes, you're reading that correctly — the new Shelby GT500's 5.8-liter supercharged V8 engine is rated at an astonishing 650 HP and 600 lb-ft of torque. That's a whopping 100 HP and 90 torques more than the 2012 model year.

It's almost as if Ford's adding the power just so it can shove its snakeskin-boot-clad foot right up the NACA ducts of its bowtie-bedecked competitor.

That's right, in fact, I'm wondering why they're even bothering to call it a GT500 anymore. Shouldn't they be calling it the GT 650 or something more appropriate for a muscle car with a 200 MPH top speed?

Whatever.

Anyway, this might just seem like Ford's plopping a bigger engine under the hood, right? Of course not. I mean, what would make you think that?

View the gallery
Well, other than their own press release saying "It might just seem like we're putting a bigger engine into the car." But come on, that would just be ludicrous to assume it's nothing more than the life-size equivalent of an Estes model rocket or a Mustang with a Wily E. Coyote-style rocket strapped to it.
Because Ford's added all sorts of other stuff to help manage all that power and torque — you know, like 19-inch front and 20-inch rear wheels coupled with Goodyear Eagleฎ F1 SuperCar G: 2 tires on all vehicle configurations and a Torsen limited-slip differential.

Well, Ford'll add that Torsen limited-slip diff if you order the optional Performance Package.

Oh, you didn't order the optional Performance Package? Then yeah, it's pretty much just a giant honkin' engine strapped onto a 3,850 lb. muscle car. But don't worry — it'll go purdy damn fast in a straight line.

Also, did we mention Ford's press photos have a blonde behind the wheel. Because, you know, this is America...truck (axle), yeah!

This post has been edited by Drew on Nov 15 2011, 07:23 PM
Fast
Posted: Nov 15 2011, 07:37 PM

IDW Prime Member

Member No.: 23,986

user posted image

See that GM? That's how you do seats for your sports cars.

Everything I didn't like about the 2011+ Mustangs has been fixed. Bravo, Ford.
JEV
Posted: Nov 15 2011, 07:57 PM

IDW God Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 30,661

yeah. saw that this morning as well and was completely shocked.

Guess that means GM will put that SC 7.0L engine into their special COPO Camaro now?

This post has been edited by JEV on Nov 15 2011, 07:58 PM
DeeezNuuuts83
Posted: Nov 15 2011, 09:04 PM

IDW Prime Member

Member No.: 25,374

It's going to be a beast... but while enough hp can help it overcome other factors, I'm not sure about the car's aerodynamics being up for the task of doing 200 mph safely.

The overall shape hasn't changed significantly, and it never really had a slippery Cd to begin with. Look some other cars.

The C6 Covette has a Cd of 0.29, which is probably fairly consistent between the various models with little variance. The Z06 with 505 hp can do 199 mph, and the ZR1 with 638 hp can do 205 mph.

The original R35 GT-Rs had a Cd of 0.28 and was able to do 195 mph with 480-485 hp, depending on your model year (even though Nissan's claim was 193 mph). The 2012+ GT-Rs have a Cd of 0.27, and Nissan's claim for the 2013 model with 545 hp is 199 mph, so assuming their claim is slightly conservative like before, it can probably touch 200 mph.

You might tell yourself that the extra hp that the 2013 GT500 has should be enough to get it to 200 mph, but aerodynamics plays a HUGE role when trying to break that barrier. For example, the McLaren F1 was able to do 231 mph, or 240 mph with the rev limiter removed, though that was with lots of windtunnel testing and 627 hp. The 1001 hp Bugatti Veyron beat it by doing 253 mph (as everyone knows), though Gordon Murray actually did the calculations and figured that it would take the F1 "only" 740 hp (over 260 hp less) to match the Veyron's top speed, though with 1001 hp, the F1 theoretically could do 281 mph. It's mostly because the Veyron wasn't shaped with aerodynamics as the first priority when dictating the shape. The GT500 will face the same problems, if not more difficult ones since it still shares the basic shape of the regular Mustang that is essentially a brick with far less consideration for Cd.

It's still a beast though, and it will easily smash the Camaro. GM won't juice the Camaro beyond how it is in the upcoming ZL1, since it's going to creep into Corvette/Z06/ZR1 territory, while the GT500 won't be restrained much since there isn't exactly a big brother car whose toes it would step on.
takumi-kun
Posted: Nov 15 2011, 11:06 PM

IDW Expert Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 22,640

its cars like these that make me glad i work at a ford dealership i get to DRIVE them
Drew
Posted: Nov 16 2011, 05:01 PM

Bought not Built

Member No.: 12,733

And more from LA

YOUTUBE ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=55XXIgRMK9k )

user posted image

Seriously though, the old taillamps on the 2010 'stang were already awesome...this just makes them even better.
MidnightViper88
Posted: Nov 16 2011, 07:35 PM

必要悪

Member No.: 1,034

QUOTE (DeeezNuuuts83 @ Today, 1:04 AM)
It's going to be a beast... but while enough hp can help it overcome other factors, I'm not sure about the car's aerodynamics being up for the task of doing 200 mph safely.

The overall shape hasn't changed significantly, and it never really had a slippery Cd to begin with.  Look some other cars.

The C6 Covette has a Cd of 0.29, which is probably fairly consistent between the various models with little variance.  The Z06 with 505 hp can do 199 mph, and the ZR1 with 638 hp can do 205 mph.

The original R35 GT-Rs had a Cd of 0.28 and was able to do 195 mph with 480-485 hp, depending on your model year (even though Nissan's claim was 193 mph).  The 2012+ GT-Rs have a Cd of 0.27, and Nissan's claim for the 2013 model with 545 hp is 199 mph, so assuming their claim is slightly conservative like before, it can probably touch 200 mph.

You might tell yourself that the extra hp that the 2013 GT500 has should be enough to get it to 200 mph, but aerodynamics plays a HUGE role when trying to break that barrier.  For example, the McLaren F1 was able to do 231 mph, or 240 mph with the rev limiter removed, though that was with lots of windtunnel testing and 627 hp.  The 1001 hp Bugatti Veyron beat it by doing 253 mph (as everyone knows), though Gordon Murray actually did the calculations and figured that it would take the F1 "only" 740 hp  (over 260 hp less) to match the Veyron's top speed, though with 1001 hp, the F1 theoretically could do 281 mph.  It's mostly because the Veyron wasn't shaped with aerodynamics as the first priority when dictating the shape.  The GT500 will face the same problems, if not more difficult ones since it still shares the basic shape of the regular Mustang that is essentially a brick with far less consideration for Cd.

It's still a beast though, and it will easily smash the Camaro.  GM won't juice the Camaro beyond how it is in the upcoming ZL1, since it's going to creep into Corvette/Z06/ZR1 territory, while the GT500 won't be restrained much since there isn't exactly a big brother car whose toes it would step on.

Dude, you're overthinking this...Your theory is well thought out, but I think the 200mph is just bragging rights, as far as the pinnacle of unrestricted performance capabilities go...If it's capable of going 200mph, then it can tear a lot of shit doing everything else up to that point...And just because it's capable doesn't mean it's practical to do so; Highly doubtful many of it's owners will ever get the opportunity to go remotely as fast as it's top speed...

Still cool as shit, though...

This post has been edited by MidnightViper88 on Nov 16 2011, 07:36 PM
MetalMan777
Posted: Nov 16 2011, 08:13 PM

Snooping as usual

Member No.: 32,588

You can do 200mph for less money. Of course that's in a car built for no other purpose than breaking the double century mark.

I like the new Ford. They keep coming out with schwanky cars like this.
THE_HONDA_CG2
Posted: Nov 16 2011, 09:30 PM

Monster slayer
Group Icon

Group: ADMINISTRATOR
Member No.: 37,947

QUOTE (Drew @ 4 hours, 18 minutes ago)
And more from LA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=playe...d&v=55XXIgRMK9k

http://weknowmemes.com/wp-content/uploads/...kim-jong-il.jpg

Seriously though, the old taillamps on the 2010 'stang were already awesome...this just makes them even better.

user posted image

Oh man, I love the 2010 Mustang Tail lights! Every time I see one on the road I can't help but just admire it. It's like a super cool light show and I get to see it! Now I can't wait to see these on the road! pinch2.gif
DeeezNuuuts83
Posted: Nov 17 2011, 08:56 AM

IDW Prime Member

QUOTE (MidnightViper88 @ Yesterday, 8:35 PM)
Dude, you're overthinking this...Your theory is well thought out, but I think the 200mph is just bragging rights, as far as the pinnacle of unrestricted performance capabilities go...If it's capable of going 200mph, then it can tear a lot of shit doing everything else up to that point...And just because it's capable doesn't mean it's practical to do so; Highly doubtful many of it's owners will ever get the opportunity to go remotely as fast as it's top speed...

Still cool as shit, though...

Perhaps, but it's my nature to question things that seem odd. Maybe it is just bragging rights, but if a company is talking about hitting 200 mph, then I'm going to take them seriously. That's a big claim, one that makes headlines.

Another thing I thought of -- tires. What kind of rubber is wrapped around this car's wheels? I remember reading that when the previous generation M5 (with the V-10) came out, BMW revealed that the car was capable of 200 mph during their testing, but they electronically limited it to 186 due to the factory tires not being ideal for 200 mph, and we're talking about a $95k car where they most certainly don't use crappy tires.

Just a thought.
MetalMan777
Posted: Nov 17 2011, 03:41 PM

Snooping as usual

Member No.: 32,588

QUOTE (DeeezNuuuts83 @ 6 hours, 44 minutes ago)
Perhaps, but it's my nature to question things that seem odd. Maybe it is just bragging rights, but if a company is talking about hitting 200 mph, then I'm going to take them seriously. That's a big claim, one that makes headlines.

Another thing I thought of -- tires. What kind of rubber is wrapped around this car's wheels? I remember reading that when the previous generation M5 (with the V-10) came out, BMW revealed that the car was capable of 200 mph during their testing, but they electronically limited it to 186 due to the factory tires not being ideal for 200 mph, and we're talking about a $95k car where they most certainly don't use crappy tires.

Just a thought.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/tec...e.jsp?techid=35

It's not just factory tires that are the limiting factor, it's pretty much all street legal tires that are the limiting factor.

The new cobra likely has some similar tires, you want to break 200? You're going to need some special tires, or some serious faith in your ones rated for 186.
Jardim
Posted: Nov 18 2011, 06:29 PM

Willing to throw 5's on the blunt your smoking.

Member No.: 15,519

There rated for 186. Doesn't mean you can't go 14 Mph over the rating once. Crusing at 200 for a bit is pushing your luck though.
Mazda ina Ford guy
Posted: Nov 18 2011, 07:54 PM

333 Half Evil

Member No.: 37,098

I have to agree with Jardim, but Ford may suprise everyone with a tire rated for 200, optional(?). It's the dumba** in the ragged ten year old GT on the freeway going 145 on H rated tires with 2 plugs and little/no tread that scare me. facepalm.gif

I don't think I could own one, I would be a baaaaad, baaaad man with that beast. I can't think of any scenario that doesn't end with me in the morgue or a guest of the state. tongue.gif
DeeezNuuuts83
Posted: Nov 19 2011, 06:26 PM

IDW Prime Member

I just saw this car at the LA Auto Show earlier today... speedometer goes up to 220 or so. Aero-wise, it looks like it just has a different front lip (but a crazier-than-normal one) and the rear lip spoiler. I don't know if I'd have the balls to test out 200 mph in that car... not exactly confidence inspiring. But it's still a bad ass car.
sideways
Posted: Nov 19 2011, 06:37 PM

We're the People's Front of Judea!
Group Icon

Group: FORUM MODERATOR
Member No.: 1,355

Whats not confidence inspiring about it?
DeeezNuuuts83
Posted: Nov 19 2011, 07:43 PM

IDW Prime Member

There isn't much about it that makes you think it will be firmly planted at 200 mph.

Not that 200 mph is why you buy this car. Just saying.

And like I've said before, still a bad ass car.
MattW
Posted: Nov 26 2011, 04:58 PM

VOLVO For Life.

Member No.: 23,273

QUOTE (Drew @ Nov 16 2011, 08:01 PM)
And more from LA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=playe...d&v=55XXIgRMK9k

http://weknowmemes.com/wp-content/uploads/...kim-jong-il.jpg

05+ Stang's had this as an option as well.