Initial D World - Discussion Board / Forums

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )Resend Validation Email

DJ Panel ( Server Stats )   Song History   Initial D World Chat Room (IRC)   Broadband Stream
RADIO BROADCAST » streaming at 96kbps with 12 unique listeners, playing Yuzo Koshiro - Adrenaline Blowouts The Fear

Important Rules
Please do NOT post knowingly false information. Violators will be issued an actual warning.
Please do NOT copy and paste articles from other websites. Link and short description is ok, but please do not copy and paste pages of info. Violator will be issued a verbal warning.
Do NOT post any torrents and/or links to pirated copies of software here. Violator will be issued a verbal warning.
Discussions about illegal materials such as ROMs, WAREZ and methods of copying copyrighted materials are not encouraged in this subforum.

FORUM MODERATOR : FORUM MODERATOR

Views: 859  ·  Replies: 11 
> Router Problems, Need help!
Tessou
Posted: Nov 8 2011, 07:04 AM

Disregarding your opinion since 2005
Group Icon

Group: CULTIST
Member No.: 12,263

Hello IDW,

I don't normally extend a hand asking for assistance, but this is bugging me to no end.

Last night I bought a Dynex DX-E402 4-Port Ethernet Broadband Router (aka a non-wireless router) so I could set up my computer, Bluray player, and XBOX 360 for internet access in the same area in my bedroom. It can handle standard 10/100mbps ethernet cables. You'd think this would be plug-and-play. Somehow it wasn't.

The computer works just fine, and can access the internet without hassle. I haven't tried the Bluray player yet. The problem lies in the 360's connection. I boot up the 360 and connect to XBOX Live. The connect fails, so I go through the connection test, which magically works and lets me connect. The status code given to me shows that I have a stable connection.

So I hop on a game (Battlefield 3) and get into a game. There are no problems getting into a game and playing... for a few minutes. Suddenly the connection scuttles and I can't reconnect. The computer still shows up a perfect connection and the router isn't showing me a status problem. A quick check on the router admin panel shows no problems, either.

Just for kicks, I look online for solutions to this. I think it might be a port forwarding issue, so I go ahead and open the proper ports for XBOX Live to function properly. I even go ahead and include DMZ and UPnP so there's no doubt that the 360 is getting everything it needs.

So I reset the router and the modem (power cycle 30-seconds), and fire up the 360. Connection works from the start, so this looks good. I boot up Battlefield again. The same problem resurfaces. I lose connection, Live disconnects, and I can't reconnect. On a hunch, I think it might just be an issue with EA's servers and not XBOX Live, so I reset everything again and fire up Netflix upon reconnecting to Live. Netflix works and I watch an episode of South Park... which suddenly fails about 10 minutes into the episode. Again, Live disconnects and I can't get back in. I watch the modem status indicator as I try, and the "activity" light doesn't blink as it usually does while it's transferring information. I test some pages on the internet on the computer, and it works fine. Obviously the problem is with the 360 and nothing else.

I try switching the ethernet wire from the 360 to a different port. No difference. I try Microsoft's solution of resetting network settings to default. No difference.

The only thing that made Live stay stable was to directly connect the 360 to the modem, which is not what I want to do. The router works perfectly with everything else, just not the 360.

IDW, can you help? Any ideas out there that I can try out to solve this, before I break down and call a professional?
Proud Contributor of the Music Section Revival Project
Nomake Wan
Posted: Nov 8 2011, 08:05 AM

Raid Boss N1

Group: Advanced Members
Member No.: 5,394

I don't even recognize the brand of that router. I suggest getting a better router, as this may be an issue with handshaking on the 360. Why that would be an issue, I don't know, but I've had mysterious handshake issues with routers in the past (cough cough Linksys...).

Not sure what your reasoning for not having wireless is, but I personally have been using a D-Link Wireless N (DIR-615) almost since I moved out back in '07 and it's never let me down. I've used it with the 360, PS3, multiple computers, PSP, iPhone... doesn't break a sweat. And I'm abusive when it comes to hardware and networking.

That's my suggestion. Stay away from no-name network equipment. The DIR-615 is like, $30-$40.

Oh, and don't buy Linksys. awesome.gif
Tessou
Posted: Nov 8 2011, 08:16 AM

Group Icon

Dynex is an in-house Best Buy brand. I use a lot of their products and haven't had problems with any of them. But then again, maybe they're just not good in the networking field. biggrin.gif

As for not using wireless, I already have one in the house, but it's on the complete opposite end and my 360S can't pick up on the signal. I'd rather not spend $70 on another wireless-N router when everything I want to hook up is literally within 3 feet of each other. Shit's annoying.

I'll look more into this handshake issue and see what I can come up with. If all else fails, I'll wait until payday and dump it on a more acceptable router.

My wireless one is a Linksys WRT120N (FORSOOTH, LINKSYS!) and it had no problems wiring to the 360. I can't move it, though, because my roommate uses her stupid laptop solely in the living room. I might change that considering she could just wire it direct to the modem. tongue.gif
Nomake Wan
Posted: Nov 8 2011, 08:26 AM

Raid Boss N1

I can't even begin to help you. Best Buy in-house brand? Linksys? You're either the luckiest person alive or the unluckiest, I'm not sure which. My dad and I have had nothing but problems with all the Linksys routers we've tried. The only one that ever worked reasonably was an old WRT54G that we hacked to run DD-WRT.

You know, because for whatever reason the stock firmware was less than useless. laugh.gif

No joke about the DIR-615 being $30-$40 though. It still has wired ports too and you can disable the wireless radio entirely if you want. I dunno, I just haven't had any trouble with D-Link (though to be fair, I've only used two of their routers--the DIR-615 and the old GamerLounge Wireless G). It sounds like the problem you're experiencing is one of those intermittent "something's not sticking to a protocol standard properly" issues.

On that note, is there a firmware update for this router you bought? That'd be my first thought. I'm not going to hold my breath but hey, like I said, I don't know Dynex. For all I know Best Buy updates their firmware every month! (...Yearite!)

You've already confirmed that it's the router causing the problem and not the 360 or the internet connection. Unfortunately as far as I know there's no way to put a packet sniffer between the two to see which is dropping the ball and I somehow doubt there is any similar feature in the router's admin panel.

Though, another thought. Did you try giving the 360 a static IP address rather than using DHCP? That way the Xbox doesn't request a new address ever, and the router doesn't try to dynamically alter the IP table. It's a really basic way to network, but... it might just work? See if there's an option to give a particular MAC Address a static IP. The MAC Address for the 360 should be on a sticker by the ethernet port, and I know that the 360's network setup lets you set a static IP as well.

Best of luck.
Tessou
Posted: Nov 8 2011, 08:47 AM

Group Icon

I was about to mention that I haven't attempted static IP yet. I shall try that when I get home.

I know I had to do some work on the Linksys to get it to work properly with the 360, but that was so long ago, I forgot exactly what I did. "Static IP" and "MAC address" pinged some sort of memory in me... so maybe that's what I did.

I hate networking. It's always been one of my biggest weaknesses when it comes to electronics.
Perry
Posted: Nov 8 2011, 09:04 AM

Like an eagle!
Group Icon

Group: ADMINISTRATOR
Member No.: 1

Yeah, Don beat me to it. See if there is a firmware update for the router. Other than that, seems like too much work to have it work properly. Return and buy a Belkin or something.
HorizontalMitsubishi
Posted: Nov 8 2011, 10:24 AM

Part of the Tessou Signature Series

Member No.: 2,022

So let me get this straight your network goes

Modem > Wireless router > Dynex pos router > (Devices) ?

if that is the case then you're going to have issues because you're double natting. if you already have a router connected to your modem then you don't need a second router all you need is a second switch.
Tessou
Posted: Nov 8 2011, 10:43 AM

Group Icon

I set up static IP and configured the DNS settings... so far so good, but I must keep testing it before I consider it stable.

Thanks for reminding me of the silly things I forget about, guys. biggrin.gif
Tessou
Posted: Nov 8 2011, 03:22 PM

Group Icon

It worked and was stable for about an hour before pulling the same shit again. sad.gif
Tessou
Posted: Nov 8 2011, 03:24 PM

Group Icon

QUOTE (HorizontalMitsubishi @ 4 hours, 59 minutes ago)
So let me get this straight your network goes

Modem > Wireless router > Dynex pos router > (Devices) ?

if that is the case then you're going to have issues because you're double natting. if you already have a router connected to your modem then you don't need a second router all you need is a second switch.

No, I have two modems in the house. One is connected to a wireless N router, the other to a standard 4-port ethernet router (wired only).
Nomake Wan
Posted: Nov 8 2011, 04:09 PM

Raid Boss N1

QUOTE (Tessou @ 46 minutes, 35 seconds ago)
It worked and was stable for about an hour before pulling the same shit again. sad.gif

Return the router, buy a better router. If it can't even keep a stable connection using Static IP... yeah. sad.gif
Tessou
Posted: Nov 9 2011, 02:03 PM

Group Icon

Yep, I am doing that come payday. I'll get something that actually works. God damn it.