Initial D World - Discussion Board / Forums

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )Resend Validation Email

DJ Panel ( Server Stats )   Song History   Initial D World Chat Room (IRC)   Broadband Stream
RADIO BROADCAST » streaming at 96kbps with 3 unique listeners, playing (Battle Stage 2) Go 2 - Power

Automotive Section Rules
Scenes depicted in Initial D are strictly fiction. Please follow the traffic rules and drive safely.
When posting a classified thread, please label it with For Sale (FS), For Trade (FT) or Want To Buy (WTB) in the thread title.
Use the Search function before you start a new topic. Posting a duplicated thread may earn yourself a verbal warning.
Videos of illegal street racing are prohibited. Posting a video depicting dangerous/reckless driving behavior will result in an actual warning.

FORUM MODERATOR : FORUM MODERATOR

30 Pages  « 16 17 18 19 20 » ( Go to first unread post )

Views: 26,923  ·  Replies: 734 
> Another Z Project? OH NOES!
Nomake Wan
Posted: Jul 16 2010, 09:02 PM

Raid Boss N1

Group: Advanced Members
Member No.: 5,394

QUOTE (Miles Edgeworth @ 1 hour, 50 minutes ago)
If there's a loophole in California emission laws about alternate-fueled vehicles, you've sparked my interest.

Since I already know the ridiculousness you have in mind, here's the direct quote from California's Smog Information FAQ.

QUOTE (California Smog Information FAQ)
Currently, smog inspections are required for all vehicles except diesel powered vehicles manufactured prior to 1998 or with a Gross Vehicle Weight (GVWR) of more than 14,000 lbs, electric, natural gas powered vehicles over 14,000 lbs, hybrids, motorcycles, trailers, or gasoline powered vehicles 1975 and older.

Lemme know.

EDIT: Here's a better pic now that the Z's back and I had daylight.

user posted image

This post has been edited by Phoenix Wright on Jul 16 2010, 09:13 PM
Proud Contributor of the Music Section Revival Project
Dorifuta
Posted: Jul 16 2010, 09:45 PM

Gaga.

Member No.: 3,864

...di... diesel fuel... is exempt...?

*cocks head back slightly, his eyes beginning to glaze over*

...he... hehheh...

user posted image

This loophole is glorious; this thread is glorious. Nomake... I want to buy your 280Z.

From October 2006 at Hammergirl... it has finally come circle. I want this car.
Shirogane
Posted: Jul 16 2010, 09:46 PM

Uhh...

Member No.: 17,722

QUOTE (Miles Edgeworth @ 1 minute, 24 seconds ago)
...di... diesel fuel... is exempt...?

*cocks head back slightly, his eyes beginning to glaze over*

...he... hehheh...

http://img35.imageshack.us/img35/3612/higurashirenalaugh.gif

This loophole is glorious; this thread is glorious. Nomake... I want to buy your 280Z.

From October 2006 at Hammergirl... it has finally come circle. I want this car.

You're not sourcing a diesel from a Benz, are you?

user posted image
Image size reduced, original size: 840 x 630. Click here to view the image in its original dimension.

This post has been edited by JZX100 on Jul 16 2010, 09:47 PM
Dorifuta
Posted: Jul 16 2010, 09:57 PM

Gaga.

JZX...

...I don't like reposting irrelevant (to the 240Z build) shit, but:

YOUTUBE ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wLbN45c44Q8 )
Shirogane
Posted: Jul 16 2010, 10:02 PM

Uhh...

Member No.: 17,722

Though it's hard to find nowadays compared to how Mercedes saloons sold like hotcakes (A balance of the weak 240D and the proper 300D, mostly)
Dorifuta
Posted: Jul 16 2010, 10:12 PM

Gaga.

I'll drop the scratch on an entire Maxima if I have to.

The LD28 is a prefect fit.

The LD28 is meant to be under the Z's hood.

The LD28 SHOULD have been under its hood!

Even the cooling fan doesn't have to be altered... it's a piece of artwork at its finest.
sideways
Posted: Jul 16 2010, 10:50 PM

We're the People's Front of Judea!
Group Icon

Group: FORUM MODERATOR
Member No.: 1,355

Whatever youre thinking drifter, stop it tongue.gif Seriously, ld28s are garbage for anything other than their crank. Back in their prime they made an amazing 90 horsepower. Dont go thinking theyre torque monsters either, they produced a mind-bending 120'ish foot pounds of torque. This isnt accounting for how many ponies have escape the ranch and been sent off to the glue factory by now. Combine that with the primitive head design that gives them a disgustingly narrow power band? Oh the fun times to be had. I spose if youre thinking about using the ld28 to make it smog exempt then junking the diesel engine, buuut thats different.

Seriously unless slow is your goal (by slow i mean slow- were talking sr5 slow), drop this thought.

This post has been edited by sideways on Jul 16 2010, 10:58 PM
Dorifuta
Posted: Jul 16 2010, 10:57 PM

Gaga.

^ Well, what oil-burning options can YOU bring to the table? I'm all ears... wink2.gif
sideways
Posted: Jul 16 2010, 10:59 PM

Group Icon

Oil burning options? Go with a rotary or a boxer engine. At least youll make power and get your oil burn'ation on. Dont waste my time much with oil burners, i like things that go fast tongue.gif
Dorifuta
Posted: Jul 16 2010, 11:00 PM

Gaga.

Shush you, you know I meant diesel when I said oil burning. laugh.gif
MetalMan777
Posted: Jul 17 2010, 08:58 AM

Snooping as usual

Member No.: 32,588

BMW M21 engine can handle around 90millionbillion torks with stock internals. You get enough positive pressure going in that guy, and you might as well enter it in a tractor pull.
Dorifuta
Posted: Jul 17 2010, 08:28 PM

Gaga.

And it doesn't require spark plugs?

Dick, me and you might need to have an AIM convo or two.

Dad gave me the green light. IDW will continue to hear about this Z even after it leaves Nomake's hands, assuming the current buyer falls through. So the next pictures you see of the Z will be in a snowy background, likely. wink2.gif
Nomake Wan
Posted: Jul 17 2010, 09:24 PM

Raid Boss N1

There's another forum member who has first dibs on the 280Z. I'm waiting to hear back from him. If it's still in limbo after a week, it might just magically appear in New Jersey. We'll see.

In other news, god I love how the 240 just freaking starts on one click, that's so awesome. Still nothing on the Touge Taxi, but I've at least determined that it's not the emergency fuel cutoff nor is it a blown fuse. Sadly. We won't find out until Monday what's wrong with it.

Until then, Z all the way, baby!
Ayako Watanabe
Posted: Jul 17 2010, 10:03 PM

Living In A Amish Paradise

Member No.: 2,415

Now we can seriously have an all IDW Z car meeting lol
Nomake Wan
Posted: Jul 17 2010, 11:55 PM

Raid Boss N1

QUOTE (Ayako Watanabe @ 1 hour, 52 minutes ago)

Freaking this. I don't know any members with a 280ZX, 350Z or 370Z, though. It'd be pretty sweet if we managed to get one of everything together for a meet. laugh.gif

Speaking of meets, it's been way too long since the last SoCal meet. As I recall, it was before October of last year since I still had the Touge Taxi and the 280Z was out of commission. That's way too damn long!

I'm thinking SoCal, Mitsuwa, GMR and the end of September. I'd make it earlier but a little birdie tells me that if we wait until the end of September there'll be a certain car appearing at the meet. In my opinion, it's worth it to wait. Just gotta find a good date that doesn't interfere with everybody's situations.

Those in the area (or planning on being in the area) lemme know what you think so we can start planning it out.

Back to the actual topic of the thread, tomorrow should see some progress. I'd like to work on the dash some and get the seats swapped out of the 280Z at least, maybe even put the interior of the 280Z back in at best. We'll see how it goes, heh.
Spaz
Posted: Jul 18 2010, 05:19 AM

Back in the saddle
Group Icon

Member No.: 30,193

QUOTE (Ayako Watanabe @ 7 hours, 16 minutes ago)

Keep it secret, else I'll come troll the f**k out of you guys. laugh.gif
MetalMan777
Posted: Jul 18 2010, 09:23 AM

Snooping as usual

Member No.: 32,588

QUOTE (cmspaz @ 4 hours, 3 minutes ago)
Keep it secret, else I'll come troll the f**k out of you guys. laugh.gif

Z bodykit for your evo?

I'm thinking the same thing for my Bimmer.
PandaApex
Posted: Jul 18 2010, 02:31 PM

Request Title - PM Mods

Group: Members
Member No.: 29,092

QUOTE (Dick Gumshoe @ 5 hours, 8 minutes ago)
Z bodykit for your evo?

I'm thinking the same thing for my Bimmer.

user posted image
Image size reduced, original size: 1024 x 579. Click here to view the image in its original dimension.

Has there been an IDW meetup as of late?
Spaz
Posted: Jul 18 2010, 03:37 PM

Back in the saddle
Group Icon

^ WIN.

You sir did that on purpose.
sideways
Posted: Jul 18 2010, 04:42 PM

Group Icon

Im actually working on putting together another socal meet, just trying to figure out when will be the best time. Itll probably go down around september
Spaz
Posted: Jul 18 2010, 06:14 PM

Back in the saddle
Group Icon

I might have to take time off to come down for that. Buy stock in whoever makes 5-hour energy, I don't do the whole stop and rest thing on road trips wink2.gif
Ayako Watanabe
Posted: Jul 19 2010, 11:00 AM

Living In A Amish Paradise

Member No.: 2,415

QUOTE (cmspaz @ Yesterday, 7:14 PM)
I might have to take time off to come down for that. Buy stock in whoever makes 5-hour energy, I don't do the whole stop and rest thing on road trips wink2.gif

Hey, if your going I'll tag along with you... that is if I don't get lost trying to meet up with you laugh.gif
Spaz
Posted: Jul 19 2010, 03:34 PM

Back in the saddle
Group Icon

QUOTE (Ayako Watanabe @ 4 hours, 33 minutes ago)
Hey, if your going I'll tag along with you... that is if I don't get lost trying to meet up with you laugh.gif

Best bet would be trying to meet up around Des Moines.
Nomake Wan
Posted: Jul 21 2010, 08:07 PM

Raid Boss N1

All right, time for an update. Today saw a little bit of progress as well as some disappointments. Here's the skinny.

2:30 PM

Decided to go out and swap seats, since my aunt had left for the afternoon leaving a spot in the driveway open. I pulled the 280Z into the driveway, opened all the doors of both cars and went to get my tools. As I went to find out what size nuts were used on the seats, I came to the horrific realization that 280Z and 240Z seats are not the same. The rails are different and the mounting points are different. With some fabrication they could be made to work but I'm not willing to put that much work into it. The 240Z seat backs are fine, they just need bottoms. Giving up, I ended up patching the 240Z seats with duct tape. It's ridiculously ghetto, but that's what ghetto garage is all about. They're a little better to sit on now, at least.

But hey, it means the minty-fresh seats are included with the 280Z now. There's nothing on the 280Z that I can carry over to the 240Z, so it's entirely as-is. Good for buyers, not as good for me. I think $2000 is an incredibly reasonable asking price for what the car is but we'll see how the car does on Craigslist and HybridZ.

3:30 PM

The 280Z got a full wash, wax and detail today and I took a ton of photos of its current state and problems, so hopefully that helps. The photos aren't edited yet but as soon as they are I'll link them here. Since there are so many I probably won't bother using IMG tags but just link them. It'll be a few hours, so stay tuned for new images as well as links to the For Sale ads.

4:30 PM

I knew I'd be cutting it close, but I hopped into the 240Z and beat it down to Vista, California. Google said it'd take roughly an hour and ten minutes, but knowing the 5 Freeway in the afternoon I knew it wouldn't be that fast. Sure enough I managed to hit like every red light on the way and showed up at my destination about right at 6. 6:02 to be exact.

Oh, I never said my destination? Classic Datsun Motorsports in Vista, CA. These guys are the professionals--they were the shop that did the Factory Restored program for Nissan back in 1997, as well as the shop that Adam Carolla brings his race cars too. With clientele like that, I knew that they'd also be asking a price to go with the prestige and they did. Before that, though, lemme say that these guys are the real deal for a reason. Stepping into their shop is like stepping back in time. The small, one-floor office is reminiscent of the old speed shops, with Datsun news clippings and random engine and body parts strewn about, reference material in both English and Japanese all over. A walk into the shop itself allows you to be surrounded by classic Datsun roadsters and 240Zs in various states of completion--some are ugly bare metal chassis while others look like they're a few wires away from being on the road.

The owner notices me and looks up from carrying a piece of a roadster, walking over to heartily shake my hand and ask what I need. "I've got a 240Z outside I wanted you to look at. I'm thinking of restoring it."

"Sure! Right outside, yeah? Let's see it!" he says cheerily, letting me lead the way back out to where I'd parked the Z. As soon as I have the car unlocked he starts picking through on his own, rather surprised at how original the vehicle was. All original paint (minus pinstriping), no rust in the floorpans, battery tray, frame rails, trunk lid... it even had the original trunk carpet and tail trim rivets. Just as I thought, the car was in great shape. His opinion on the damage is that it's entirely fixable without replacing things--namely the bumper. He's of the opinion that the car can be pulled straight easily and the bumper can be made straight as well.

Of course, that's where it kinda hurts. To do it right, the only way he'd want to do it would be to remove everything from the car's body, straighten it, repaint the whole frame, then put it back together. Since putting it back together means a whole mess of new parts where you can't reuse old stuff, that means the costs start going up... and up... and up. To strip the body down, repair the damage, paint the frame and reassemble the car it's around the $25k range. I didn't show it but I about choked. I knew that restoration would be several thousands of dollars and that it would definitely be more than I paid for the car to have done, but I wasn't quite expecting that high a number. Eep. Still, it was awesome being around the shop. Heck, the guy even had reference materials for the Japanese patrol car 240Zs that I didn't have! It was awesome!

Of course, now I have to start looking around to see if there's a place that can pull my frame straight and just do exterior paint. I don't really have a need to repaint the whole frame, nor do I particularly want to remove the entire interior and restore it. Most of my interior is fine, and the parts that need help are things I can do on my own. Not to mention, the car is going to be something I have fun with, so it'd be nice to not put too much ridiculous monies into it just in case the worst were to happen. I don't think my insurance would be willing to insure a $25k salvage restoration for what it is.

That's it for today. I waited until it was almost dark before driving back to avoid traffic, which also meant I couldn't do anything else on the cars. I've got plenty of work ahead just getting these photos uploaded and such.

Seeyas later!
peemyTNBow
Posted: Jul 21 2010, 08:23 PM

Unregistered

QUOTE (Phoenix Wright @ 15 minutes, 48 seconds ago)

Of course, that's where it kinda hurts. To do it right, the only way he'd want to do it would be to remove everything from the car's body, straighten it, repaint the whole frame, then put it back together. Since putting it back together means a whole mess of new parts where you can't reuse old stuff, that means the costs start going up... and up... and up. To strip the body down, repair the damage, paint the frame and reassemble the car it's around the $25k range. I didn't show it but I about choked. I knew that restoration would be several thousands of dollars and that it would definitely be more than I paid for the car to have done, but I wasn't quite expecting that high a number. Eep. Still, it was awesome being around the shop. Heck, the guy even had reference materials for the Japanese patrol car 240Zs that I didn't have! It was awesome!

A friend has done a full on resto-mod on a 1969 Camaro, the tab is over 130,000 dollars at this point and the car is not done. You would have to insure for value if you go at it that way.

30 Pages  « 16 17 18 19 20 »