|Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )||Resend Validation Email|
Posted: May 21 2008, 10:34 PM
Member No.: 29,611
Joined: May 21st 2008
Location: West Covina, California
The 1st Annual Diamond Stars Invitational
**Everything listed below is subject to change. Major updates will be posted here. The rules will not deviate much from what is already written, so I suggest you read it thoroughly**
Pre-registation date Announced
Ok, so in a nutshell:
Even before pre-reg, I have 7 teams confirmed from Super, 7 teams confirmed from AI and 8 teams confirmed from other locations. That brings me up to 20 teams even before pre-registration starts, so I think i'm going to do this due to the fact that the non-local arcades are not allowing flyers to go up:
For the people that are already "in the know" and keep up with me or are regulars at the local arcades or check this thread, I will tell you now that pre-registration is this Friday (May 23) from 5:00 PM to 6:00 PM in the Bella Napoli Plaza [Its 5 min from Super Arcade so its not remote at all]. There is a fountain outside this establishment and lots of tables so you can't miss us. If there are any teams that you want to join that you know of, then tell them. If you can't make it, and know someone nice enough to register for you, then you can have them register and pay at the tournament. I don't need card info till the day of the tournament, so all you need is $20, team name, and team members. Remember to keep the team names clean for announcement purposes.
Bella Napoli Pizza Bistro
505 N Grand Ave, Walnut, CA 91789
*4/19/2008 Ė Thread is up! Iíll be making minor changes through the weekend in case of errors and whatnot. Iíll be finalizing the tournament date and time, the pre-registration date, initial price, and prizes by next weekend at the latest, depending on if we have a vote or not. If you are interested and have comments start posting so I can get a feel of what to expect. If you are out of state, out of country, out of planet, or out of dimension, or just live really far away, Iíd like to talk to you first before coming so PM me. Questions can also be PM'd if necessary.
*4/29/2008 - Flyer is approved, will be up later today. If you'd like to post the flyer in your arcade, please PM me first to talk about it. I'll be putting up a list of arcades that we will be already posting the flyer at. There will probably be a voting thread coming up to decide the prize distribution. Either winner takes all, or 70-20-10% to 1st 2nd and 3rd. I'll post here in the updates section if that thread pops up. For the doubters, this tournament is now 100% official, so I suggest you all prepare accordingly so you don't regret missing out on this one.
Flyer - Do not post this flyer without permission from me! Please PM me if you'd like to post the flyer at your arcade!
Flyer created by Matt(Fuji) and Myself.
Itís that thrill that always brings us back. That feeling when youíre on the very edge, and one move could change everything. The adrenaline pumping in the heat of the moment as you realize that this is your moment, almost suspended in infinite time, that draws in the breath of every spectator, that makes your opponentís eyes widen in realization for a split second as they realize what is about to happen as you dive in to overtake at the last possible moment. In those few seconds of struggle, my heart almost stops beating in anticipation for the climax. Then, as if everything went from slow motion to play, the crowd explodes as you pull ahead for the first place finish. Those are the moments that make Wangan Midnight Maximum Tune one of the greatest experiences in video gaming for me. And I want to share that with you.
Once upon a time, WMMT 1 came out, and I played it a lot. Then I went around and found other people who liked to play the game too. Thus, in a very concise nutshell , the Diamond Stars were formed. We were just a bunch of people who became friends and liked playing the game. Over time, I met even more cool people and decided to build a strong WMMT community by encouraging players to get better and play to have fun. Over the years that I have played this game, the friends and fun associated with the heated battles has always been there, and Iím really grateful that I was able to experience that thanks to those people. Now, I want to give that opportunity back, which is why I decided to host this tournament. Iíve known the Speedzone higher-ups for quite some time now and have helped and set up tournaments for them in the past, which is why they gave me the green light to throw down this great event.
But I didnít want to host just any tournament. I wanted to host something worthy of the effort all of you have put into the game. I remember sitting down and tuning my car every chance I got. I know very well how rigorous it can be to improve your line even by .001 of a second. I know how difficult it was to keep getting beaten over and over until finally you break the barrier and stand triumphant in your own right. But most importantly of all, I know that the greatest feeling of all comes from the expression of your talent and skill in front of all your peers at the highest level of play. That, is the stage I have set for you.
I have met many great players over the years, and I know they will not be able to resist coming to this tournament. I know people will travel from afar to show their own prowess as dark horses, and some may re-emerge from the shadows. One thing that's for sure is that this is going to be one hell of a tournament. The only question is: Are you ready?
~Ali, Leader of the Diamond Stars
17871 Castleton Street
City of Industry, CA 91748
Friday, May 30th 2008.
Two vs. Two Team Battle (2v2).
- A maximum of 32 teams will be allowed to register for the tournament. Once this has been filled, no other teams may enter unless a team drops out, in which case we will have a waiting list prepared.
- Speedzone and I reserve the right to refuse entry to the tournament, entry to the Speedzone premises, and to remove people from the premises as we see fit.
- We will be taking roll at the beginning of the tournament, and if a team is not present, they are considered a drop-out and disqualified. Once all registered teams have been accounted for, we will call out teams from the waiting list in order until the 32 team maximum has been reached. If your team is present, have your cash, cards, and teammate ready to register. If you are unprepared we will move on.
- Your card must have 820hp (All 3 red bars) to be eligible for the tournament. No hacked or deformed cars (Ex. 820hp/HG) will be allowed, and we reserve the right to deny enrollment to the tournament.
- Once your two man team has been registered, it is final. Switching team members will not be allowed. You may not participate in multiple teams.
- Once a card has been registered, no other card may be used for the tournament. We will be using various methods to ensure that cards have not been replaced during the tournament. Using duplicates or other cards will result in disqualification.
- You may pre-register by attending the pre-registration date (which will be posted here when our tournament date is confirmed), or by attending early on the day of the tournament (The cutoff time will also be listed when our date is confirmed). After the cutoff time At the Door prices will be in effect. If you plan on registering at the door come an hour earlier. We will not accept any more registrations once the tournament has started.
- Price Ė Cash Only:
o Pre-registration = $20
o At the door= $30
- There are no refunds.
- Machines will be on Free Play for the duration of the tournament.
- The estimated time for the tournament will be 4 hours (probably in the evening). Prepare accordingly.
- Make sure to have the retire option set to on before the tournament.
- Prizes Ė The prizes have not been completely determined yet, but will definitely consist of a major portion of the pot (if not all of it) + donations from Speedzone and other sponsors. We will also have special prizes based on secret criteria. We may hold a vote on the forums if we are presented with multiple options.
General/Before the Match:
- My word is final. We will make any necessary judgments if the situation calls for it. No arguments will be tolerated and will be grounds for disqualification.
- Only designated staff and announced players are allowed in the stage area.
- Be respectful of the facility and its patrons. Security will enforce standard laws and remove you from the premises as they see fit.
- Do not block walkways to other parts of the facility if you are watching the tournament.
- Do not use other game machines as props to stand on or as seats if customers want to play the game.
- Cards will be inspected at the beginning of each match throughout the tournament.
- Team battle schedule will be announced and will also be on display on our screen at the beginning and end of each match. If your match is coming up, check and have your card and teammate ready to go.
- In the case that we determine there was an emergency, we may decide to postpone your match. ďI canít find my card.Ē or ďMy partner is in the bathroomĒ are examples of unacceptable excuses.
- Tracks will be chosen right before your match. They will be chosen using the following methods:
o Preliminaries Ė We will roll dice to choose the track. For the course, Numbers 1-6 represent the courses from leftmost choice to rightmost choice, respectively. For the starting checkpoint, Numbers 1-4 represent the four checkpoints, starting from the initial position and going to the right. In the case of Hakone or New Belt Line, which only have two starting checkpoints, the four sided die will still be used accordingly, where an odd number will result in the initial starting checkpoint, and an even number will result in the other starting checkpoint (Ex. New Belt Line: 1 or 3 = Counter-Clockwise, 2 or 4 = Clockwise).
> Course = Six sided die
> Starting checkpoint = Four sided die
o Semi-Finals & Finals Ė The lottery system will be used to determine the tracks. We will randomly pick from six lottery balls placed in a container, each representing one of the six courses. Once a course is chosen, it will not be placed back into the container until all courses have already been chosen. Semi-finals and finals will start will all six courses available to choose from.
> Course = Lottery system
> Starting checkpoint = Four sided die
- When is it time for your team battle match, we will announce for you to approach the stage. Do not approach the stage beforehand. The first team name that is announced will sit on Cabinet 1 and Cabinet 2 (Leftmost Cabinets) and the second team will sit on Cabinet 3 and Cabinet 4. You have one minute from the announcement of your battle to have your cards verified at the desk and be seated on the machine. There will be a visible countdown on the screen. If your team name is called and you are not on the machine with a verified card before the one minute is up, you will be disqualified from the tournament. Do not start the game until we announce for players to start.
- Bad sportsmanship of any sort, including spitting in peopleís faces (accidentally or intentionally) or other forms of verbal or physical abuse, will not be tolerated and will result in instant disqualification and removal from the premises.
- Errors may occur before or during gameplay. If we determine that there is a major error, we will stop and restart the match.
- When all players are seated and we are ready, we will announce for players to start the game. If it is your first match of the tournament, check and make sure your retire option is on.
During the Match
- Music is chosen by the player who gets the BGM option. No interfering with the player with BGM is allowed, such as pressing their View Change button at the last minute.
- No verbal or physical abuse to players or the machine will be tolerated during the match. If we determine that anything of the sort occurs, we will disqualify teams accordingly.
- Make sure to choose the correct course and route. If you are unsure look to the judgeís table for confirmation. Choice of horsepower as well as day/night will be at the discretion of the players.
- Boost is on for the entire tournament. Do not press the breaks during loading, as this could cause an accidental boost off match.
- Again, within the game, anything goes, such as ramming, blocking, etc. Expect coordinated team play as well, and feel free to play your own style without limitations.
- Communication between teammates is allowed. Excessive yelling, profanity, or other blatant distractions can be grounds for disqualification. We will warn players if necessary.
- Security will also be watching the crowd during the races. Physical or verbal abuse from any spectators will not be tolerated and they will be removed from the premises.
After the Match
- Once the match is finished, all losing players must quit the game and leave from the designated exit area. The winning player must immediately retire and exit the game as well.
- Progression in the tournament is as follows:
o Preliminaries: The team whose member finishes in 1st place moves on. Losing team is out of the tournament.
o Semi Finals: Each of the final four teams has one ďExtra LifeĒ. After the first heat, winning teams will proceed to the winnerís bracket, and the losing teams will proceed to the loserís bracket. The team that wins the winnerís bracket will be guaranteed to proceed to the finals. The team that wins the loserís bracket will face the team that loses the winnerís bracket to determine who proceeds to the final.
o Finals: Best of three matches.
- If you lose, remember to stick around if you want to see if you qualify for the special prizes. If you are announced as a winner and arenít present, we may give your prize to someone else. Donít miss out.
Thatís about it! Congratulations on reading (or skimming) all of that! Feel free to post comments and whatnot (unless it gets stickied and we have to make a new thread). I hope to see you guys at the tournament!