Initial D World - Discussion Board / Forums

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )Resend Validation Email

DJ Panel ( Server Stats )   Song History   Initial D World Chat Room (Discord)   Broadband Stream
RADIO BROADCAST » streaming at 96kbps with 4 unique listeners, playing Paul Harris - Everybody's Looking

Important Rules
• Please do NOT post any torrents and/or links to pirated copies of games here. Violator will be issued a verbal warning or an actual warning.
• Use the Search function before you start a new topic. Posting a duplicated thread may earn yourself a verbal warning.
• Any kind of discussions related to ROMs, WAREZ and methods of copying copyrighted materials are prohibited in this section of the forums.

» FORUM MODERATOR : FORUM MODERATOR

Views: 2,802  ·  Replies: 8 
> Forza Horizon 2
Spaz
  Posted: Sep 30 2014, 08:41 AM

Just a guy towing a car across the country to chase a dream.
Group Icon

Group: FORUM MODERATOR
Member No.: 30,193

So, it probably won't be all that popular since it's not a 'Motorsport' title in the series, but Horizon 2 launched last night and I spent a bit of time playing it before sleep took me.

And the big thing I noticed: YOU CAN NOW TUNE YOUR CARS. The tuning system from FM5 has been implemented, as has the general physics system, so it drives very similar now to its track-based counterpart.

Otherwise, first impressions are that classing is annoying, they've broken vehicles down into different groups that make sense, but it's going to be annoying to say the least when I'm stuck racing other rally cars in my Evo when I want to be racing supercars (because let's face it, that's what Evos are for on tarmac). A lot of it makes sense for matching cars to those alike in performance, but overall having a two-part classing system by both "type" of car AND standard letter classing is a bit much. They utilize similar series style events to FM5 that are class-locked and style-locked, requiring you to change your racing series when you change your car. I'm sure this allows for multiple series to be run in the same locations, but overall I find it annoying that I have to effectively maintain my progression. I'll probably warm up to this though as my interest in certain vehicles or groups changes through gameplay so I'm not stuck picking and choosing between events because I don't want to waste money building a car for one or two races or stuck using cars I don't want to use because I have to complete specific races oriented around it to move on.

As for new driving events, there are two that I've seen. Cross Country replaces the rally pack from Horizon one as an open-world checkpoint-based race that has you tearing through fields and foliage on a set course. I don't like it near as much as I liked the rally pack, and it's kind of annoying in regular cars since you can't see shit generally when ripping up a vineyard.

The second new event is a Road Trip. Basically it's just a preset route from Destination to Destination, with these Destinations being towns or villages that replace Outposts from the original title, allowing all of the same functionality. Effectively, the Road Trip forcibly moves you around the map to various Destinations and racing series. You won't win or lose these events, but they're good for racking up skill points and XP.

Also, Outpost PR events have been replaced with Bucket List events. Basically the same thing, but scattered about the world instead of being Outpost initiated. In effect, I have found no mention thusfar of reducing fast travel costs to Destinations.

And speaking of XP and skill points, they now do something other than being a "look at me!" stat. There are perks that can be unlocked to give effects or more skill points for specific actions, which once unlocked are always active. There is also a random reward for XP levels, including cars and cash.

I'm slightly annoyed that in all the promo material (and the intro video and cutscenes) that they feature an Evo IX, but in game they only offer the VIII. Hoping for DLC but not holding my breath. Regardless, it hasn't stopped me from starting work on a replica of my current livery, something I've never done before.
Proud Contributor of Initial D World Forums
APX
Posted: Sep 30 2014, 05:34 PM

Join the Empire today! Or die, rebel scum!

Group: Advanced Members
Member No.: 1,473

Didn't really read all of it, here and there, so... you are saying it's not like the first one at all? Because that was just fantastic. sad.gif
Gunma's 34
Posted: Sep 30 2014, 08:39 PM

The R34's chosen one

Member No.: 27,787

QUOTE (Spaz @ Today, 12:41 AM)
So, it probably won't be all that popular since it's not a 'Motorsport' title in the series, but Horizon 2 launched last night and I spent a bit of time playing it before sleep took me.

And the big thing I noticed: YOU CAN NOW TUNE YOUR CARS. The tuning system from FM5 has been implemented, as has the general physics system, so it drives very similar now to its track-based counterpart.

Otherwise, first impressions are that classing is annoying, they've broken vehicles down into different groups that make sense, but it's going to be annoying to say the least when I'm stuck racing other rally cars in my Evo when I want to be racing supercars (because let's face it, that's what Evos are for on tarmac). A lot of it makes sense for matching cars to those alike in performance, but overall having a two-part classing system by both "type" of car AND standard letter classing is a bit much. They utilize similar series style events to FM5 that are class-locked and style-locked, requiring you to change your racing series when you change your car. I'm sure this allows for multiple series to be run in the same locations, but overall I find it annoying that I have to effectively maintain my progression. I'll probably warm up to this though as my interest in certain vehicles or groups changes through gameplay so I'm not stuck picking and choosing between events because I don't want to waste money building a car for one or two races or stuck using cars I don't want to use because I have to complete specific races oriented around it to move on.

As for new driving events, there are two that I've seen. Cross Country replaces the rally pack from Horizon one as an open-world checkpoint-based race that has you tearing through fields and foliage on a set course. I don't like it near as much as I liked the rally pack, and it's kind of annoying in regular cars since you can't see shit generally when ripping up a vineyard.

The second new event is a Road Trip. Basically it's just a preset route from Destination to Destination, with these Destinations being towns or villages that replace Outposts from the original title, allowing all of the same functionality. Effectively, the Road Trip forcibly moves you around the map to various Destinations and racing series. You won't win or lose these events, but they're good for racking up skill points and XP.

Also, Outpost PR events have been replaced with Bucket List events. Basically the same thing, but scattered about the world instead of being Outpost initiated. In effect, I have found no mention thusfar of reducing fast travel costs to Destinations.

And speaking of XP and skill points, they now do something other than being a "look at me!" stat. There are perks that can be unlocked to give effects or more skill points for specific actions, which once unlocked are always active. There is also a random reward for XP levels, including cars and cash.

I'm slightly annoyed that in all the promo material (and the intro video and cutscenes) that they feature an Evo IX, but in game they only offer the VIII. Hoping for DLC but not holding my breath. Regardless, it hasn't stopped me from starting work on a replica of my current livery, something I've never done before.

I never really liked the car class categorization in any game; I guess that is one thing Gran Turismo has Forza over anyday :v... that is the one thing multiplayer has over single player any day. Are multiplayer replays allowable like in FM4 / FM5?
Falbere
Posted: Oct 1 2014, 01:56 AM

Back from the dead, baby
Group Icon

Group: IDP Admin
Member No.: 43,254

This game MIGHT just make me buy a console. After I switched to PC gaming, this is the first time I'm getting excited about a console game.

How was the visual customization? Are there a lot of options, or was it like like the first Forza Horizon? (In terms of bumpers, spoilers etc for Japanese cars, like S13)
Spaz
  Posted: Oct 1 2014, 08:23 AM

Group Icon

QUOTE (APX @ Yesterday, 8:34 PM)
Didn't really read all of it, here and there, so... you are saying it's not like the first one at all? Because that was just fantastic. sad.gif

Oh, it's a ton like the first one. There are a few changes but overall it plays similar, with some organizational changes. I'm still enjoying the shit out of it.

You can basically all of the swap all of the things again as well. Twin turbo AWD Rally Fighter? Yeah buddy. Though I have to say, nothing with that much weight should have that much go.

Also, I haven't played any multiplayer yet to know if replays are available.
HashiriyaR32
Posted: Oct 13 2014, 05:30 PM

Unlimited Request Works

Member No.: 18,031

Since the photo uploads for the 360 version are FINALLY working, I've got 2 pics to share.

SPOILER
Gunma's 34
Posted: Oct 13 2014, 06:21 PM

The R34's chosen one

Member No.: 27,787

QUOTE (HashiriyaR32 @ 51 minutes, 5 seconds ago)
Since the photo uploads for the 360 version are FINALLY working, I've got 2 pics to share.

SPOILER

My reaction upon opening that spoiler:

user posted image
Image size reduced, original size: 1280 x 800. Click here to view the image in its original dimension.
Falbere
Posted: Oct 14 2014, 04:54 AM

Back from the dead, baby
Group Icon

Group: IDP Admin
Member No.: 43,254

QUOTE (Gunma's 34 @ Today, 10:21 AM)
My reaction upon opening that spoiler

Was that a double-pun? "Heavy" breathing... hmm...
Spaz
  Posted: Oct 14 2014, 08:12 AM

Group Icon

I should try to remember to get my pics thusfar dumped and posted.