Initial D World - Discussion Board / Forums

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )Resend Validation Email

DJ Panel ( Server Stats )   Song History   Initial D World Chat Room (Discord)   Broadband Stream
RADIO BROADCAST » streaming at 96kbps with 6 unique listeners, playing DJ Pikachu_Fragger's Total Control Geass CM1

Automotive Section Rules
• Scenes depicted in Initial D are strictly fiction. Please follow the traffic rules and drive safely.
• When posting a classified thread, please label it with For Sale (FS), For Trade (FT) or Want To Buy (WTB) in the thread title.
• Use the Search function before you start a new topic. Posting a duplicated thread may earn yourself a verbal warning.
• Personal videos of illegal street racing are prohibited. Do NOT brag about your exploits. Posting a video depicting dangerous/reckless driving behavior on your part will result in an actual warning.

» FORUM MODERATOR : FORUM MODERATOR

199 Pages  « 197 198 199  ( Go to first unread post )

Views: 212,190  ·  Replies: 4,952 
> The Subaru Thread, Official Subaru thread for the Sub Fans
Spaz
Posted: Jan 15 2014, 12:51 PM

Just a guy towing a car across the country to chase a dream.
Group Icon

Group: FORUM MODERATOR
Member No.: 30,193

QUOTE (DeeezNuuuts83 @ 1 hour, 26 minutes ago)
Ask spaz, the EJ25 is decent but it has more problems than it should.

Or don't ask, and I'll tell you anyway. laugh2.gif

I love the EJ25. Or rather I want to. Really really hard, like you want to love a plate of the spiciest buffalo wings despite knowing full well what it will do to your rectum the following day.

When nothing is wrong, it's a brilliant motor. They sound awesome, they spool turbos like a fucking banshee, even with the OE unequal length setup, and they make metric asspounds of torque. On top of that, the heads are very well designed, and like the Evo IX heads are good for 500hp bone stock. Maybe not the most efficient (My father averages 18-19mpg in his GR STi, and he SAYS he doesn't beat on it), so even when it runs right, it's still gouging your pockets.

In NA form, they have this really bad tendency to decide that the fire ring on the head gasket is over-rated, and will just unseal it for no valid reason. The turbo cars do less of this, but are certainly not immune. On top of that, Subaru's piston casting is, well, garbage. Ringland failures have become increasingly common over the years, and it's worrisome because you generally don't know until it's too late. A leakdown test will tell you for sure, but you can drive for 10k+ miles before you'll start to notice the oil consumption notably increasing, and by then, you're looking at either a new crate motor or an overbore build, neither of which are an overly cost-effective solution.

Oiling is another issue that at least plagued earlier EJs, and not so much when the motor is running, but when it's not. With the design of the crank it has a very difficult time retaining oil film where it's needed most and ends up effectively dry starting with thinner oils.

On top of that, parts are stupid expensive. I could assemble one and a half 700+hp Evo rotating assemblies for one 5-600hp Subaru assembly. Why this is, I don't know. But it's dumb.

Now my dad's car runs, doesn't burn more than normal amounts of oil, and just in general has not been a problem. But he and I are well aware that the motor will eventually be have to be built out of necessity. It's been tuned twice so far, and the second on was only two years later, yet power delivery was inconsistent and it was again knocking. I get that motors change, but it shouldn't have changed that much. I like the car, I like the motor, I just... Yeah, some things just shouldn't be issues, you know?
Proud Contributor of Initial D World Forums
DeeezNuuuts83
Posted: Jan 15 2014, 06:03 PM

IDW Goldmember

Group: Advanced Members
Member No.: 25,374

Also, one of my buddies who I go snowboarding with used to have a 2008 STI. He had similar problems, and he was pretty lucky to get his engine replaced under warranty (as he was at stage 2). The engine is one of the last things that you want to have break on you (out of stuff that can realistically break), especially when it's a platform that has been around for a number of years already.
Kiroshino
Posted: Apr 21 2015, 06:13 PM

IDW Goldmember
Group Icon

Group: FORUM MODERATOR
Member No.: 34,203

http://www.autonews.com/article/20150418/O...erformance-line

Looks like we'll be seeing a BRZ STI.

Edit: Cached link again. dry.gif

Another article based on the above article:

http://news.boldride.com/2015/04/subaru-br...oduction/76499/

This post has been edited by Kiroshino on Apr 21 2015, 06:16 PM