Initial D World - Discussion Board / Forums

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )Resend Validation Email

DJ Panel ( Server Stats )   Song History   Initial D World Chat Room (Discord)   Broadband Stream
RADIO BROADCAST » streaming at 96kbps with 3 unique listeners, playing (Fifth Stage DS1) Virginelle - Bye Bye Girl

Important Rules
• Please do NOT post any torrents and/or links to pirated copies of games here. Violator will be issued a verbal warning or an actual warning.
• Use the Search function before you start a new topic. Posting a duplicated thread may earn yourself a verbal warning.
• Any kind of discussions related to ROMs, WAREZ and methods of copying copyrighted materials are prohibited in this section of the forums.

» FORUM MODERATOR : FORUM MODERATOR

Views: 5,012  ·  Replies: 19 
> Star Citizen (PC), The future of PC space flight
Tuskano
  Posted: Nov 3 2012, 04:58 AM

IDW Supremo Member

Group: Advanced Members
Member No.: 38,740

The producer of microsoft's space simulator, Freelacer, has come out with a new toy for PC users. Looking forward to it all.

YOUTUBE ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RlIWJlz6-Eg )
RalliKai
Posted: Nov 3 2012, 05:51 AM

IDW Goldmember

Member No.: 3,607

I never played Freelancer regrettably but I loved the Wing Commander series. Repurchased all the old WC games off GOG. I'm glad to see him coming back after so many years away.
Spaz
Posted: Nov 3 2012, 08:24 AM

Just a guy towing a car across the country to chase a dream.
Group Icon

Group: FORUM MODERATOR
Member No.: 30,193

I never played Freelancer, but I played the shit out of MS' attempt before that, after it failed and went open-source; Allegiance.
Proud Contributor of Initial D World Forums
case
Posted: Nov 3 2012, 04:32 PM

IDW Regular Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,933

I've been keeping an eye on Star Citizen since it was announced, but also another one called "Infinity" which has a similar concept (but has been under development by an indie guy for about 6 or 7 years now). Things have been quiet on that front, but they are expecting to release a new demo in December. If you want to read some old articles and updates, http://www.infinity-universe.com is the place to read up on it. @inovae_keith is the guy to follow on twitter if you want more recent updates.
Tuskano
  Posted: Nov 3 2012, 04:37 PM

IDW Supremo Member

Member No.: 38,740

QUOTE (case @ 5 minutes, 33 seconds ago)
I've been keeping an eye on Star Citizen since it was announced, but also another one called "Infinity" which has a similar concept (but has been under development by an indie guy for about 6 or 7 years now). Things have been quiet on that front, but they are expecting to release a new demo in December. If you want to read some old articles and updates, http://www.infinity-universe.com is the place to read up on it. @inovae_keith is the guy to follow on twitter if you want more recent updates.

I've been watching that too... the Deltan City video on youtube is my favorite.
V0|t
Posted: Nov 6 2012, 03:22 AM

Akagi's White Comet

Member No.: 877

there is a kickstarter for this I believe >.> My friend's are raving about this but I haven't check into it
Nomake Wan
Posted: May 5 2013, 03:48 AM

ShiMACHaze

Member No.: 5,394

This thread needs to be revived. It also is incredibly disappointing that it was already made and lacks sufficient information in the first post. So I'll try to add a few things. Okay? Okay.

Have you played Escape Velocity? Perhaps you actually remember when the predominant gaming platform was Apple Macintosh and actually played the original. Perhaps you're too young and think all of us telling you that Macs were the go-to platform for games is insane, but got into it with Escape Velocity: Nova. Either way is fine. Did you ever find yourself immersed in the experience late at night and think, 'Man, it sure would be cool to first-person this with my friends online'? Then you need to get in on Star Citizen.

Have you ever played Freelancer with your friends and had an absolute blast over Skype or Ventrilo or Mumble, but lamented the fact that once you got planetside the immersion of being 'together' was shattered by an inability to interact in-fiction? Did you wish you could actually have your characters interact with one another, whether it be in a bar or on your very own ship? Then you need to get in on Star Citizen.

Have you ever played EVE Online but wished for something a little more...realistic? A little more hardcore, a little more...personal and immersive? Perhaps something that wasn't subscription-based yet offered the same level of massive online open-universe environment? Then you need to get in on Star Citizen.

Have you ever wished you could cobble together your own YT-1300 or Firefly-class? Have you ever wished you could work the console of a living, breathing starship? Have you ever dreamed of being immersed in space, knowing you weren't alone but determined to chisel your own path through the stars? Then you need to get in on Star Citizen.

There's no two ways about it. Any self-respecting space sim fan really does need to get in on this. It is an absolute abomination that it took me this long to discover it. The idea is that it's split into two games. The first, a single/multi-player military game called 'Squadron 42' where you follow missions and earn your citizenship before moving out into the universe. The universe, however, is Star Citizen--and you need not play Squadron 42 to enter it. Why join the military when you could scrounge up some parts and get that scrap heap you've been eyeing for days spaceworthy? Or perhaps you're more the kind to ask another player for passage then kill him for his vessel? Either way, one need not play Squadron 42 to play Star Citizen. If you loved the Wing Commander series, though, then Squadron 42 is probably a good idea.

Now, for me personally I loved the trading and open universe exploration aspects of Escape Velocity and Freelancer so I'm gonna stick to just Star Citizen and skip on Squadron 42. That's my choice. What's yours?

Both games are scheduled to be released in November 2014. Alpha and Beta testing starts this year. Want to get in on the testing phase? Want to make sure you've got yourself a vessel when launch-time hits? Want to be a part of the $9.5 million that the game has already earned for its development? Then do what I did--register for the site and toss them some dosh. It doesn't take much. Help them help you get the best space game ever created out on time, just the way we want it.

For more information, or to register and secure yourself a spot in the testing phase and other goodies, please visit the official site here:

Roberts Space Industries

You can also get specific information about parts of the game at the following links (easier than digging through all the news archives yourself!):

On In-Game Death Mechanics; Death of a Spaceman

If You Have Cut-Rate Insurance, You Could Be Patching Those Laser Burns Yourself; The Insurance FAQ

Love Keeps Her In The Air When She Oughta Fall Down, Tells You She's Hurtin' 'Fore She Keens, Makes Her A Home; Engineering: Ship Components Systems

What's Out There? What's Waiting For Me? On Multiplayer, Single Player and Instancing

What's The Terminal Airspeed Velocity Of An Unladen Swallow-class Fighter Caught In A Gas Giant? Physics--Not A Dirty Word

EDIT: Updated URLs. They were broken ever since July when the new site went live. Fixed!

This post has been edited by Nomake Wan on Sep 6 2013, 06:00 AM
Proud Contributor of IDW Forums and the Music Section Revival Project
RalliKai
Posted: May 5 2013, 06:23 AM

IDW Goldmember

I miss blasting cats into dust from the cockpit of my Raptor. cool.gif

Been following the development aswell and I love what their doing. I hope Roberts is kind enough to put a bar in his ships for players to congregate. Everyone of his space sims seemed to have one.

It would also be nice if he could be buy the Wing commander name back from EA so we could see ships from that universe thrown in.
Nomake Wan
Posted: May 14 2013, 03:21 PM

ShiMACHaze

QUOTE (RalliKai @ May 5 2013, 06:23 AM)
I hope Roberts is kind enough to put a bar in his ships for players to congregate.

Not sure how I missed your post, but to qwell your fears...

QUOTE (What's Out There? What's Waiting For Me? On Multiplayer Single Player and Instancing)
We haven’t fully worked out the player avatar handling planet side but the bar or private clubs will be where you can meet / chat to other players. Besides populating the bar with NPCs, the game will also populate the bar with other players. If there are more players planet side than there are slots of avatars in the bar the ones visible to you will be based off your friends list and then it will be based on relevance to you – a player looking for a wingman, one from a similar group, or maybe someone that you’ve been given a mission to find or hunt down. You will also be able to see the full list of players in the room if there are more players than there are slots. Default would be a drop down list for this, but as I hate anything that breaks the immersion, we’ll probably come up with a better in fiction way of seeing the list of players – maybe you tell the bartender who you’re looking for, maybe you can look at the door list for the bar.

This post has been edited by Nomake Wan on May 14 2013, 03:21 PM
Nomake Wan
Posted: Aug 30 2013, 06:20 PM

ShiMACHaze

So it's time for an update! ...Since I appear to be the only one doing so! Okay! No problem! Let's do this!

So we've known for a while that the Star Citizen team was going to be doing modular development with an emphasis on community involvement, meaning they'd take the game in chunks; each chunk would be a separate essential aspect of the completed game and that unpolished chunk would be passed on to the community to break on purpose. Once the community had broken it, they could fix and polish it until the next chunk was ready to get thrown to the pirhannas. It's a neat way to do things, and as far as I know no other dev company has gone after this approach. Then again, considering they're crowd-funded one could think of it as giving their shareholders a shot at being game devs. Duhu.

Yesterday, the first module was released--the hangar. It's exactly what it sounds like in that it's a hangar that has the ships you've purchased in it. Eventually it'll have the ability to mess with that ship's configuration and mess with items and all sorts of fun stuff, but at the moment it's just basic functionality. You can walk around, stare at your ship, get into your ship, sit in the pilot's seat and that's about it. This exists for two reasons. One, so the community can see what they've bought into, and two, so the community can take this basic-of-basics program and break the shit out of it.

And break it they have. For those able to run this behemoth program (the CryTek3 engine requires DX11 and 8GB+ of RAM as well as a kick-ass CPU to get going), they've taken down the core servers multiple times making access requests, causing all sorts of havoc including an inability for some to patch their client or even connect and authenticate their accounts. Not to mention causing the website to hiccup once or twice! Even the proud who managed to get into the hangar itself have caused all sorts of hilarity breaking animations or crashing the program. All in all? A successful failure, and I mean that in the most honest sense. The devs wanted it to get broken so they could fix it, and that's exactly what's going on.

With this style of development, each little piece of the game can be perfected individually, with only the links between them necessary to create the complete universe once things get to that point. The expected release date is still around November 2014, with the dogfighting module expected around December of this year, a planetside exploration module around Q1 2014, an alpha test of the persistent universe around Q2 2014, followed by the beta test at the end of summer and the final release. If you have been pondering getting in on this, now is the time! There are roughly 30,000 spots left to get into the game before release. Join today!

Speaking of joining, the Chris Roberts campaign never stops! Back in May when I joined up, they were roughly 11 million dollars crowd-funded. Now, considering Roberts said that the game would take roughly 20 million to make (and that anything not crowd-funded had already been spoken for by private investors), I thought it amazing that this game had broken the 50% mark on crowdsourced funds alone. I mean, who had heard of that? A top-tier game being half-funded by its fanbase? Huh?

As of today, Star Citizen is crossing the 17 million dollar mark on its crowdfunding campaign. It's mere steps away from being completely crowd-funded and shows no sign of stopping. It grew by nearly a million dollars in anticipation of the hangar module's release, then grew by almost another million as the hangar module itself was released. It's astounding! Consider again that this is the very first of many pre-alpha releases and yet only 3 million dollars remain to be 100%. I can't even imagine what is going to happen at the end of the year when dogfighting starts up!

Here's to the success of the one true space sim. I'll see you in the 'Verse!

user posted image
Image size reduced, original size: 763 x 1103. Click here to view the image in its original dimension.

This post has been edited by Nomake Wan on Aug 30 2013, 07:25 PM
Nomake Wan
Posted: Jun 4 2014, 06:32 PM

ShiMACHaze

A reminder that the Dogfight Module--henceforth referred to as 'Arena Commander'--has been released. You can now fly your ship...assuming you pledged for a Hornet, 300i, Aurora or Vanduul Scythe. If you pledged for a different ship you'll be given a loaner that's close to your ship's spec until your ship is made available. cool.gif

See you in the 'Verse!

user posted image
Image size reduced, original size: 1920 x 1200. Click here to view the image in its original dimension.

This post has been edited by Nomake Wan on Jun 5 2014, 05:02 AM
pallmall
Posted: Nov 14 2014, 02:53 PM

Shmuck

Member No.: 44,917

Been a fan of flight combat sims since Xwing and Tie Fighter. Played Freelancer and Wing Commander and enjoyed them both. Will check out SC when it is distributed as a finished product. I like new to be new.
RalliKai
Posted: Dec 22 2014, 01:16 PM

IDW Goldmember

The word 'nice' comes to mind here.

YOUTUBE ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lJJ9TcGxhNY )
Nomake Wan
Posted: Dec 22 2014, 05:46 PM

ShiMACHaze

A quick update that Arena Commander 1.0 is out, featuring all variants of the available single-seater ships! Finally I can fly around the Aurora LX that I pledged for forever ago rather than the loaner. w00t2.gif Super cool stuff, and it just keeps getting better.

2.0 will feature the multi-crew ships, but it's a ways off--there's this thing about needing to expand the engine out to double-precision so that they can have physics engines within physics engines first. We got to see a sweet demo of it, but that's all it was--a demo. Playable is a ways off. Still, they're making awesome progress!
Nomake Wan
Posted: Mar 24 2015, 08:53 AM

ShiMACHaze

Arena CommanderStar Citizen 1.1 is out as of a few days ago and adds a bunch of stuff. Yes we have a few new ships but the important enhancements are all under the hood. To begin with we have the first iteration of true procedural damage modeling, in which kinetic/thermal damage is actually computed based on point/angle of impact and imparted to your ship. That is, rather than having specific bits that fly off (as in every game ever), damage done will be to the specific area hit. Check out this video for a demo:

YOUTUBE ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PLClAkXxI6Y )

Perhaps even more importantly, however...it also snuck in the ability to get up out of your ship while flying. While a lot of the polish was very neat to gawk at, it's probably this that had me so excited while I was testing. It's the first step into what the universe will be like when the game finally comes out some time next year...and I can't wait. w00t2.gif

user posted image
Image size reduced, original size: 1920 x 1200. Click here to view the image in its original dimension.
RalliKai
Posted: Mar 24 2015, 07:57 PM

IDW Goldmember

Oh if Roberts could buy back the Wing Commander name, I'd be a happy camper flying a Rapier or Sabre again in SC.
Nomake Wan
Posted: Mar 24 2015, 09:27 PM

ShiMACHaze

QUOTE (RalliKai @ 1 hour, 30 minutes ago)
Oh if Roberts could buy back the Wing Commander name, I'd be a happy camper flying a Rapier or Sabre again in SC.

Yeah...you'll just have to settle for flying the Hornet (and other craft) in Squadron 42.
RalliKai
Posted: Mar 25 2015, 04:33 AM

IDW Goldmember

Just abit of a nostalgia fandom watching that shield effect. cool.gif I've enjoyed most of the designs they've shown so far, especially the lighter crewed ships.
RalliKai
Posted: Aug 17 2015, 03:32 PM

IDW Goldmember

:bump: cool.gif

YOUTUBE ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4xSOzEWsHOs )

Nomake Wan
Posted: Aug 17 2015, 03:35 PM

ShiMACHaze

Yeah, their new networking tech for the launcher is pretty sweet too. When they say their new network code can use up to 100% of your available bandwidth, they're not joking around:

user posted image
Image size reduced, original size: 1100 x 545. Click here to view the image in its original dimension.