Initial D World - Discussion Board / Forums

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )Resend Validation Email

DJ Panel ( Server Stats )   Song History   Initial D World Chat Room (Discord)   Broadband Stream
RADIO BROADCAST » streaming at 96kbps with 2 unique listeners, playing m.o.v.e - Silent White

Important Rules
• Do not post any obscene material. (i.e. - nudity, explicit graphic situations ... etc.)
• Put a viewer discretion somewhere in your topic title / description when posting topic(s) that others might find offensive. (i.e. - Not Work Safe, PG13 ... etc.)

» FORUM MODERATOR : FORUM MODERATOR

2 Pages  1 2  ( Go to first unread post )

Views: 2,896  ·  Replies: 34 
> Make a Prom message, Get banned from Prom
Shirogane
  Posted: May 12 2011, 04:57 PM

SCREEEEEEECHING INTENSIFIES

Group: Advanced Members
Member No.: 17,722

user posted image
A Connecticut teenager who has been barred from attending his senior prom after posting an oversize message to the front of his high school should be allowed to attend the dance, the town's mayor told FoxNews.com.
Shelton Mayor Mark Lauretti said he's unsure that the "punishment fits the crime" for James Tate, an 18-year-old senior at Shelton High School who, along with two friends, posted 12-inch tall cardboard letters outside the school’s main entrance last Thursday night so students would see the message in the morning.
The letters read: "Sonali Rodrigues, Will you go to the prom with me? HMU -Tate." HMU means hit me up, or call me.
"Based on what I know, I'm not sure that the punishment fits the crime," Lauretti said. "This may very well be a situation that needs a second look. Part of the problem in today's world is that we make policies or recommendations without common sense or flexibility built in and we lose sight of the big picture. This may be one of those situations."
Lauretti said Tate and his family have deep "roots" in the community, with his father serving on a city commission and his mother on the city's historical society.
kyonpalm
Posted: May 13 2011, 12:17 AM

Professional Amateur
Group Icon

Group: ADMINISTRATOR
Member No.: 30,882

Granted, it seems like a dick move, since what if she rejects him? Is she going to do it with that plastered on the wall? Either way, the reaction is definitely a bit ridiculous... Hooray for our shcool sytsem. Whoever said it doesn't wkor?
Proud Contributor of the Music Section Revival Project
Jardim
Posted: May 13 2011, 02:19 AM

Willing to throw 5's on the blunt your smoking.

Member No.: 15,519

LOL saw it on the news last night....i think he should go damn no boy would ever have the guts to do this in front of his buddies....reminds me of 7th grade and how much of a prude pussy i was, obviously by 9th grade i was borderline of sex offender...
Tessou
Posted: May 13 2011, 06:30 AM

More NEGATIVE than a black hole
Group Icon

Member No.: 12,263

It's vandalism. To the school board and administration, this is cut and dry.
Proud Contributor of IDW Forums and the Music Section Revival Project
Saint
Posted: May 13 2011, 06:52 AM

The 6th Blameless Shift

Member No.: 2,067

I doubt it's that hard to just walk up to her and ask her straight.

He should have seen that coming since he vandalized.

But then again, I'm even more surprised that such minor thing was on the news. >.<
Tessou
Posted: May 13 2011, 07:22 AM

Group Icon

Well, it probably made it to the news because some idiot in the industry thought things should have worked out like they do in the movies, where rebellious/creative youth can get away with stuff in the name of love or some shit.

As I said in another thread, mainstream news is becoming less noteworthy. They put shit on the air for shock value and ratings, with "informing the public" shoved into a corner.
Smikey
Posted: May 13 2011, 07:58 AM

dafuq
Group Icon

Group: FORUM MAYOR
Member No.: 14,329

QUOTE (Tessou @ 1 hour, 27 minutes ago)

This is a troll surely, right Tessou?

Here I thought schools were supposed to be encouraging kids to express creativity......
Proud Contributor of Initial D World Forums
Shirogane
  Posted: May 13 2011, 08:11 AM

QUOTE (Tessou @ 1 hour, 41 minutes ago)

Since when is using tape and cardboard vandalism?

And for them to say it's a safety risk--- only to make them (the three boys) go back up and take it down; Yeah, she needs to be sacked.

Zero-tolerance Bullshit.

This post has been edited by Ken Nōgami on May 13 2011, 08:16 AM
Thereno
Posted: May 13 2011, 01:49 PM

Vote TheReno 2020

Member No.: 17,243

So, taping messages to a wall is vandalism? I'll remember that when the school comes around and tapes their fund raiser notices and levy issue letters to my front door. Then I can sue them for vandalism.
Tessou
Posted: May 13 2011, 05:25 PM

Group Icon

Vandalism is the defacement of an object without the permission of the owner, which this little punk didn't obtain. The school is completely right in their decision.
Shirogane
  Posted: May 13 2011, 06:55 PM

QUOTE (Tessou @ 1 hour, 29 minutes ago)
Vandalism is the defacement of an object without the permission of the owner, which this little punk didn't obtain. The school is completely right in their decision.

So you're siding with the school that is now suspending any kids for messages via twitter and facebook?

And if you consider tape and cardboard vandalism, that's some pretty low standards. facepalm.gif

Had he spraypainted it, then I would agree, but until then, sack them.

This post has been edited by Ken Nōgami on May 13 2011, 07:14 PM
MattW
Posted: May 13 2011, 09:20 PM

VOLVO For Life.

Member No.: 23,273

QUOTE (Tessou @ 3 hours, 54 minutes ago)

Yeah, you're an idiot.

It hasn't been defaced. Peel the tape off and it wont leave any marks.

Sounds like someone is angry for possibly being rejected by every girl he asked to prom.
Shirogane
  Posted: May 13 2011, 09:30 PM

QUOTE (MattW @ 10 minutes, 9 seconds ago)
Sounds like someone is angry for possibly being rejected by every girl he asked to prom.

This is the most overused sentence on that FB page I've visited. laugh.gif
Saint
Posted: May 14 2011, 12:11 AM

The 6th Blameless Shift

I'm astonished at you guys who think what the kid did was alright.

It's not a question whether he taped it, pasted it, spray it, or whatever. Vandalism is vandalism.

If he stick it and peel it away so it won't leave any mark (it never said it didn't leave any mark btw), it's not considered vandalism? Using the the same logic, he can spray the message (which is already blatantly vandalism) and then cover them back with paint later on. So it won't be considered vandalism?

But then again, it's something up to the school to decide to dish out punishment for that. It's not as serious as burning the classroom, but if they want to follow the rules strictly, I don't see the problem. A fine would probably do, though.

This post has been edited by Saint on May 14 2011, 12:23 AM
Shirogane
  Posted: May 14 2011, 12:30 AM

QUOTE (Saint @ 18 minutes, 57 seconds ago)
It's not a question whether he taped it, pasted it, spray it, or whatever. Vandalism is vandalism.

How can it be vandalism? That's just kind of a pathetic jab, no? Of course, if it was like those ridiculous amount of ads and such on street poles and the like, then that's an issue.

The main issue is the hag. Sitting at the desk. Not only did she make him go back up and take it off himself, but seriously? Suspending kids on not only facebook and twitter posts, but also if they tried to refund?!

I'm astonished that people would take sides for a CROOK.
Saint
Posted: May 14 2011, 12:54 AM

The 6th Blameless Shift

Whatever I say, I think it's not vandalism to you no matter what.

It was an act of vandalism; destruction or defacement of public or private property. Even you admitted it's vandalism in case of streetpole ads. He posted oversized message that defaced the wall. Try do the same thing to your school and see if you get away with it. I know I'd get into trouble if I did that in mine.

Maybe because it's in the US. In Asian countries, I'd say it's a normal (and fitting) punishment.

I dunno about the Twitter/FB suspension, but we're looking at what he did to the wall (the actual school wall). It's really pathetic to defend this kid when he's clearly wrong.

This post has been edited by Saint on May 14 2011, 01:03 AM
Shirogane
  Posted: May 14 2011, 01:01 AM

QUOTE (Saint @ 7 minutes, 2 seconds ago)
Whatever I say, I think it's not vandalism to you no matter what.

It was an act of vandalism; destruction or defacement of public or private property. Even you admitted it's vandalism in case of streetpole ads. He posted oversized message that defaced the wall. Try do the same thing to your school and see if you get away with it. I know I'd get into trouble if I did that in mine.

facepalm.gif

Again, in what way is a tape (A f**king harmless 3M dispensables you get at Target) and cardboard defacing school property? My goodness, people are just thick.

And for you to say he's clearly wrong is just rude. It is true he does deserve a punishment, but to bar him from the prom is just ridiculous.

This post has been edited by Ken Nōgami on May 14 2011, 01:02 AM
Saint
Posted: May 14 2011, 01:05 AM

The 6th Blameless Shift

It may not leave any mark once peeled, but it was an OVERSIZED mark itself when it was posted on the wall.

Stealing a candy may not be as bad as stealing a a stack of money, but they both are still called theft.

If that's thick, too bad for you. That's how it works in this world. I hate to go on when the other person is getting emotional/rude. I'm done talking and have stated my opinion.

This post has been edited by Saint on May 14 2011, 01:10 AM
Shirogane
  Posted: May 14 2011, 01:11 AM

QUOTE (Saint @ 6 minutes, 13 seconds ago)
It may not leave any mark once peeled, but it was a mark itself when it was posted on the wall.

Stealing a candy may not be as bad as stealing a a stack of money, but they both are still called theft.

If that's thick, too bad for you. That's how it works in this world. I hate to go on when the other person is getting emotional. I'm done talking.

Uh, it doesn't work in the world 24/7, you know. High Schools here aren't that thick headed, and I'm pretty sure 200,000 people would disagree to your sentiment.

Theft is Theft, but you can't have an even sentence for a small item. That's the problem with your (And Tessou's) argument, the lack of realism.

And if you think I'm rude, reread one of your posts. I'm merely returning fire. If you don't like that, "Too bad, since that's how the world works," I presume you said?

This post has been edited by Ken Nōgami on May 14 2011, 01:15 AM
Saint
Posted: May 14 2011, 01:30 AM

The 6th Blameless Shift

QUOTE (Ken Nōgami @ 19 minutes, 22 seconds ago)
Theft is Theft, but you can't have an even sentence for a small item. That's the problem with your (And Tessou's) argument, the lack of realism.

So you now say vandalism IS vandalism. That's a good start.

----------------------

No, I was the one doing the returning:
I'm astonished that people would take sides for a CROOK.

Getting emotional.
That's just kind of a pathetic jab, no?

Getting emotional.
My goodness, people are just thick.

And for you to say he's clearly wrong is just rude.

Getting rude. This is when I added 'rude' into my previous post.

Hey, I'm just a guy who passed by and saw this thread and decided to post my opinion. If you insist he's not vandalizing, whatever makes you happy then.

-----------------------

Like I said, if I were the principal, I'd just fine him according to the school rules. It's not like the school is sacking him anyway. If he had spraypainted, I think it could be worse.

Now I feel stupid to even argue the obvious in this thread.

No hard feelings, yeah? smile.gif
Shirogane
  Posted: May 14 2011, 01:37 AM

... facepalm.gif I'm not going to bother as you actually took those sentences seriously. In fact, you actually blew this out of proportion. And yet, your logic is the reason why this senseless debate is continuing.

So you now say vandalism IS vandalism. That's a good start.

The way you worded that sentence makes me think you didn't read hard enough.
Saint
Posted: May 14 2011, 01:48 AM

The 6th Blameless Shift

QUOTE (Ken Nōgami @ 11 minutes, 34 seconds ago)
... facepalm.gif I'm not going to bother as you actually took those sentences seriously. In fact, you actually blew this out of proportion. And yet, your logic is the reason why this senseless debate is continuing.

Hmm, very well. I shall no longer take your arguments seriously then.

I've explained why it's vandalism over and over again in different ways so you can understand but you choose not to read hard enough.
In fact, you actually blew this out of proportion. And yet, your logic is the reason why this senseless debate is continuing.

No, it was your 'logic'. And it was you who decided to start this thread at all.

/
Shirogane
  Posted: May 14 2011, 02:01 AM

QUOTE (Saint @ 12 minutes, 39 seconds ago)
Hmm, very well. I shall no longer take your arguments seriously then.

Resorting to personal attacks? Now that's just kind of low. rolleyes.gif

I've explained why it's vandalism over and over again in different ways so you can understand but you choose not to read hard enough.

The reason I don't need to understand as it is not even near what vandalism can do. It wasn't even defaced with a dollar-store spray can. Rather, done in a rather harmless way to people and the property which unfortunately evolved into this rather controversial issue of whether or not Dr. Beth Smith had thought of the ruling.

No, it was your 'logic'. And it was you who decided to start this thread at all.

Really now? If at all, my logic had a sense of realism rather than the "Oh, world is tough, get over it 24/7" mentality shown earlier.

Like you said, I am done if all you do is simply what I had done; rude. wink2.gif

This post has been edited by Ken Nōgami on May 14 2011, 02:02 AM
Tessou
Posted: May 14 2011, 03:59 AM

Group Icon

QUOTE (MattW @ 6 hours, 38 minutes ago)
Yeah, you're an idiot.

It hasn't been defaced. Peel the tape off and it wont leave any marks.

Except it has been defaced because that's what defacement is. It's used to describe vandalism in which the marred surface can be easily repaired or restored to its original state...

Peel the tape off and it wont leave any marks.

Holy shit, mind blown. wink2.gif

You kids need to go back to school, or read a dictionary sometime. That's what the school board is there for. And they are still right in their decision. The dumbest thing this kid did was identify himself, otherwise he probably would be able to get away with it.
Spaz
Posted: May 14 2011, 06:15 AM

Just a guy towing a car across the country to chase a dream.
Group Icon

Group: FORUM MODERATOR
Member No.: 30,193

Go lightly key someone's car, it's okay, shit buffs out!

Vandalism is vandalism is vandalism. Doesn't matter if it takes a small amount of effort to fix or not.
Proud Contributor of Initial D World Forums

2 Pages  1 2