Initial D World - Discussion Board / Forums

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )Resend Validation Email

DJ Panel ( Server Stats )   Song History   Initial D World Chat Room (Discord)   Broadband Stream
RADIO BROADCAST » streaming at 96kbps with 7 unique listeners, playing (Fifth Stage DS2) Ace - Crazy On Emotion

Automotive Section Rules
• Scenes depicted in Initial D are strictly fiction. Please follow the traffic rules and drive safely.
• When posting a classified thread, please label it with For Sale (FS), For Trade (FT) or Want To Buy (WTB) in the thread title.
• Use the Search function before you start a new topic. Posting a duplicated thread may earn yourself a verbal warning.
• Personal videos of illegal street racing are prohibited. Do NOT brag about your exploits. Posting a video depicting dangerous/reckless driving behavior on your part will result in an actual warning.

» FORUM MODERATOR : FORUM MODERATOR

6 Pages  1 2 3 4 » ( Go to first unread post )

Views: 39,076  ·  Replies: 136 
> HomieGohan | Track car, Global Time Attack | Nasa Utah
RedsunsF1
  Posted: Jan 14 2013, 08:38 AM

Nasa UT | FF FK8

Group: Advanced Members
Member No.: 38,401

Thought I give people following this thread an update of what's been happening to the Subaru, also I had to fix the pictures since they would not show since I cleaned and organized my Photobucket so I re-uploaded the pictures.

Anyways, The car is sitting in the garage in jack stands, I tried starting the car up every other day just to let the fluids run so they won't sit for too long since it's been freezing over here in Utah. I tried starting it 2 weeks ago and it would turn, I tried jumping it and it started, the next day same problem battery drained, I took it to O'reillys to have it checked and it was a bad battery, it was the orig oem battery and it gave me 6 good years. I replaced the battery with a AMSperformance racing battery for light weight and other specs.
user posted image
Image size reduced, original size: 768 x 1024. Click here to view the image in its original dimension.

I have taken off the stock steering wheel and will be replacing it with a Momo quick release but I still have not picked it up. I took out both the front and rear seats, the stock wrx limited leather seats weighed 85lbs each!! Replacing the driver seat with a Corbeau that I purchased from Rallysport direct -http://www.rallysportdirect.com/Corbeau-29501P-FX1-Pro-Black-Cloth-Fixed-Back-Seat.

Some of you might of noticed on the 'Recently purchased thread' but I went and got a Whiteline anti-roll kit. I will be replacing all the sway bars with whiteline product, as well for the trailing arms and A-arms.

I purchased a quick release clips from Pegasus racing to make my front bumper a quick release. I haven't started working on this yet, once I take off the bumper I will be taking it to my friend who works at AeroFunction and he will be installing Canards with a Splitter.

Mocal oil cooler and Mishimoto radiator will be purchased as a gift when taxes arrived and by the time I finish my taxes the car should be ready for the first race. I will be taking the car to Innovative-Garage where I did my internship to have the new race alignment and corner balance set up.

Long way to go but i'm pretty stoked for the 2013 race season biggrin.gif
Sorry for not having much pictures to look at but it's pretty boring right now since all I have been doing is just purchasing and I haven't really been messing with the car yet. I will do my best to have pictures some time soon.

Lapbattle.com

This post has been edited by FC_spec on Jan 14 2013, 08:47 AM
RedsunsF1
  Posted: Feb 6 2013, 08:11 AM

Nasa UT | FF FK8

Any ideas what color I should paint my wheels? Thinking Yellow, White, or Black.

user posted image
Image size reduced, original size: 1024 x 1024. Click here to view the image in its original dimension.

user posted image
Image size reduced, original size: 1024 x 1024. Click here to view the image in its original dimension.

user posted image
Image size reduced, original size: 1023 x 612. Click here to view the image in its original dimension.
THE_HONDA_CG2
Posted: Feb 6 2013, 09:33 AM

Patient Zero

Member No.: 37,947

What kinda yellow are we talking about? Like Keisuke FD yellow? Goldenrod? Dull yellow? Metallic gold? Flat gold? Why am I listing all these tones of yellow? Well, I think I can most easily see your car rocking yellow rims. What are your ideas? smile.gif

[ Post made via Mobile Device ]
RedsunsF1
  Posted: Feb 6 2013, 09:49 AM

Nasa UT | FF FK8

QUOTE (THE_HONDA_CG2 @ 15 minutes, 45 seconds ago)
What kinda yellow are we talking about? Like Keisuke FD yellow? Goldenrod? Dull yellow? Metallic gold? Flat gold? Why am I listing all these tones of yellow? Well, I think I can most easily see your car rocking yellow rims. What are your ideas? smile.gif

Since my car is getting a Yellow vinyl for the headlights like my friends GC8
user posted image

I thought Yellow would match it. The type of yellow wheels I was thinking was was like Keisuke FD or Pikachu Yellow works too happy.gif

Here are the colors I am looking at, which would look best with Urban Gray Metallic Subaru....
user posted image
Image size reduced, original size: 1000 x 884. Click here to view the image in its original dimension.

user posted image
Image size reduced, original size: 800 x 775. Click here to view the image in its original dimension.

user posted image
Image size reduced, original size: 960 x 640. Click here to view the image in its original dimension.

This post has been edited by FC_spec on Feb 6 2013, 10:04 AM
Banken
Posted: Feb 9 2013, 05:33 PM

IDW Goldmember

Member No.: 22,465

Painting RPF-1s is blasphemy.

I hope you've started taking things off the car before you start putting new ones on!
case
Posted: Feb 12 2013, 08:45 PM

IDW Regular Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,933

...why?
RedsunsF1
  Posted: Feb 13 2013, 06:53 AM

Nasa UT | FF FK8

^ Why...?

A lot of things have been taken off the car and haven't had nothing installed yet. Once I have everything installed and go get the race alignment and corner balance I'll be hauling the car to Colorado to have it tuned tuned on E85 at TheBoostCreepLTD by Harvey.

We have an open track day next month and i'll be going out there to see how the car does and what needs to be adjusted before the season starts in April.

This post has been edited by FC_spec on Feb 13 2013, 06:53 AM
case
Posted: Feb 14 2013, 09:40 PM

IDW Regular Member

Take video! Of all the things I miss the most from mine, it's definitely the exhaust note of a nicely tuned EJ.
Banken
Posted: Feb 14 2013, 09:53 PM

IDW Goldmember

Because RPF-1s are my favorite rims and they already look awesome.

Also, why 85? You loose a ton of power and it's only a couple dollars per tank. I thought this was a track car?
case
Posted: Feb 14 2013, 10:32 PM

IDW Regular Member

I think you've confused gasoline rated at 85 octane vs. gas with an ethanol content of 85%. Also, my "why" was more directed towards your: "I hope you've started taking things off the car before you start putting new ones on!" because 1) it's not your car, 2) anything can go on the track, it's a matter of preference of the owner over what they do or don't do with it at that point. Giving people unsolicited advice by telling them what to do with their cars is... annoying to me. There are ways you can suggest things to help folks out without sounding arrogant. Saying "I thought this was a track car?" doesn't do that.
THE_HONDA_CG2
Posted: Feb 14 2013, 10:45 PM

Patient Zero

Member No.: 37,947

Ahem ahem... Boys. I don't want to see an argument here to sully the thread. If you have grievances to air then you can take them to PM. Any more of this and disciplinary shall be taken.
chillined
Posted: Feb 14 2013, 11:41 PM

IDW Goldmember

Member No.: 23,552

QUOTE (case @ 2 hours, 1 minutes ago)
Take video! Of all the things I miss the most from mine, it's definitely the exhaust note of a nicely tuned EJ.

You had a Subaru?

And I'll be painting my RP-F1's if I ever get them, they're going white. E85 is the freakin' way to go with turbo cars. Cheap race gas, at that. happy.gif
Banken
Posted: Feb 14 2013, 11:44 PM

IDW Goldmember

QUOTE (case @ 1 hour, 12 minutes ago)
I think you've confused gasoline rated at 85 octane vs. gas with an ethanol content of 85%. Also, my "why" was more directed towards your: "I hope you've started taking things off the car before you start putting new ones on!" because 1) it's not your car, 2) anything can go on the track, it's a matter of preference of the owner over what they do or don't do with it at that point. Giving people unsolicited advice by telling them what to do with their cars is... annoying to me. There are ways you can suggest things to help folks out without sounding arrogant. Saying "I thought this was a track car?" doesn't do that.

You're right, I was thinking of 87 fuel. My mistake. Can you not get premium gasoline without ethanol?

Also, I only said that because it seemed like he was doing a lot of upgrades / buying parts when there's so many things you can take off a track car for free, and end up with much higher performance. Like sound deadening, speakers, antennas.

Adding a bunch go-fast bits to a track car before you've done any lightening or interior/control mods just seems like the mark of an amateur to me.
chillined
Posted: Feb 15 2013, 12:15 AM

IDW Goldmember

Member No.: 23,552

And he is an amateur still, so what's your point? Not everyone wants a completely stripped out and outrageous track car.
Banken
Posted: Feb 15 2013, 02:26 AM

IDW Goldmember

No one is saying it has to be outrageous, but by definition it's not a track car if it's not stripped. Capiche?
case
Posted: Feb 15 2013, 02:48 AM

IDW Regular Member

@chillined: yup, '05 STi that I used to use in time attack. but it had a full interior and no weight reduction...

@Banken: most fuel stations will say "Contains 10% ethanol" (and in the near future, 15%) or something similar on the pumps, regardless of octane chosen. I go to the local Rebel stations if I want to run 100 octane, which does not have that ethanol content. what kind of track experience do you have, out of curiosity? very few of us here can claim to be anything but amateurs.

The mods FC_spec has been making are mostly standard fare for Subaru owners to get the most out of their cars without tearing it completely apart, and if that's what works for him then great. The best way to improve your track performance is to be behind the wheel, after all.
Banken
Posted: Feb 15 2013, 02:54 AM

IDW Goldmember

I have done about a bajillion track days over the last year and a half and three races. Before that I was autocrossing. I also own six different books about racing and tuning.

Track days are cheaper, closer, and more numerous here and Japan and you don't have to have a race car or a race license to actually race because they have races at track days.

You also don't really need to upgrade the swaybars if you have coilovers unless you still have too much roll. The thicker you make the bars the less grip you have. Some cars are actually better off without one or both of the stock bars after you upgrade the suspension to high-rate springs. Why? ...read a book about suspension tuning.

This post has been edited by Banken on Feb 15 2013, 02:56 AM
case
Posted: Feb 15 2013, 03:24 AM

IDW Regular Member

I've only got about 10 years of track experience and competition, I still very soundly consider myself an amateur. I like these books (the four tall ones), personally, I've also got "Secrets of Solo Racing" by Henry Watts on the bottom shelf as well which is great reading material for those looking to start their track experience:

user posted image
Image size reduced, original size: 1024 x 768. Click here to view the image in its original dimension.

But.. I digress, this is getting far too off-topic unless FC_spec is interested in the books and our track time for some reason.
Banken
Posted: Feb 15 2013, 04:26 AM

IDW Goldmember

There is a difference between being an amateur and doing something amateurish.

The guy who owns the Scorch S15 is an amateur but he still holds the Tsukuba record. The car he drives is insanely well-built.

Tune to Win is an awesome book. I think Drive to Win is even better. Both of them have a few outdated bits (like Tune to Win's section on shocks and Drive to Win's comments on differentials).

Although I think the best book on driving technique overall is the Speed Secrets series (specifically the first one, and "utlimate' which combines all of them).

By comparison, I think Going Faster is waaaay too technical but doesn't contain enough useful information, and Driving on the Edge is mainly about driving purpose-built race cars although it does contain a few interesting theories and techniques not in the other books I have.
Spaz
Posted: Feb 15 2013, 05:42 AM

Just a guy towing a car across the country to chase a dream.
Group Icon

Group: FORUM MODERATOR
Member No.: 30,193

QUOTE (Banken @ 5 hours, 55 minutes ago)
You're right, I was thinking of 87 fuel.  My mistake.  Can you not get premium gasoline without ethanol?

Why the hell would you want non-ethanol fuel in a turbocharged car? Unless it's race gas, you might as well run 87, it'll knock damn near as much.

E85, dollar for dollar, is going to be more cost effective than race gas, and it means you can run the same tune on the track and the street because it's available in most parts of the country, whereas race gas isn't. Last time I raced at CFR in Iowa, I had to drive 30 minutes to find 92 octane; 93 was a pipe dream. I can get E85 a mile from the track.

Also, pissing match over. You want to argue? Set up an IDW track day and do it on the tarmac.
Proud Contributor of Initial D World Forums
Banken
Posted: Feb 15 2013, 05:57 AM

IDW Goldmember

...because gasoline works better than ethanol?

Sorry, around here you literally can't find premium gasoline with anything less than 100 octane, so I never really think about octane ratings and whether my gas station's gas will blow my engine up.

Then again I pay twice as much as you do...
Spaz
Posted: Feb 15 2013, 06:43 AM

Just a guy towing a car across the country to chase a dream.
Group Icon

Group: FORUM MODERATOR
Member No.: 30,193

Efficiency and effectiveness are two different things entirely, and that's where I'm leaving this.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ]
Proud Contributor of Initial D World Forums
RedsunsF1
  Posted: Feb 15 2013, 08:00 AM

Nasa UT | FF FK8

@Case - That's cool you did Time Attack, I actually am interested in the books you have been mentioning.

Like you said the mods I have been getting are pretty standard, I just been focusing on suspension to get the best handling as possible, cooling, aero, and weight reduction. I don't plan on doing any type of engine upgrade any time soon, once I feel comfortable with the speed I have then i'll consider it.

As for a Race license I would say check out Nasaproracing.com and your local track might be holding Nasa - HPDE events. There're 4 classes to HPDE, once you get to HPDE 3 here in Utah you can compete in Lap battle which I am doing this year, when I finish my last HPDE 4 class this year I'll be able to compete in "wheel to wheel" with the Porshe biggrin.gif

user posted image
Image size reduced, original size: 1024 x 612. Click here to view the image in its original dimension.
Banken
Posted: Feb 15 2013, 05:02 PM

IDW Goldmember

You have to do a LOT of track days at a LOT of tracks with a whole bunch of handholding to get that far. I would have given up on track days if I wasn't able to pass slow people on my first day.
backalleyracer
Posted: Feb 15 2013, 07:45 PM

IDW Goldmember

Member No.: 7,122

nice job man, keep it up smile.gif

6 Pages  1 2 3 4 »